closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone 12

Blog Entries
    I have the first gen iPhone SE and a 5S as a backup. I've avoided updating because I don't want a phone the size of a tablet in my pocket. Now the battery is about cream crackered I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably end up replacing the battery, although I did that already for the screen and battery a couple years ago. Unfortunately I used one of these companies who come out to you so probably not Apple original parts so Apple probably won't put an OE battery in it. So it's another crappy aftermarket battery or replace it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I might downsize to the 12 mini from my XR. Loved the size of the X when it came out but downgraded to XR for financial reasons at the time, always found it to be slightly too big for my tastes, albeit it works brilliantly. The 12 mini looks to be a nice sweet spot between screen size and actual size.

Journeyman
    Had my iPhone 7 coming up to 4 years now, replaced the battery very easily for £19 and a quick watch of a YouTube video.

Probably look at the 12 now as its a good time to upgrade after 4 years as you see a massive leap in functionality. Long gone are the days where I would upgrade every two years, just no point.

Its been on sim only the last two years at £15 a month.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    I have an Xs and it’s getting to the point where the battery won’t hold a charge for longer than a few hours. Trapped in the iPhone upgrade cycle and no doubt filling the release of the 12 upgrade my ‘older’ phone will become unusable forcing an upgrade

3 years seems to be as long as an iPhone lasts
    I used a 6s for 4 years so I'd beg to differ, but replacing an iPhone battery is relatively cheap and easy to do at an Apple store.

My X is definitely coming to the end of its life... the phone speaker's dying, camera doesn't work too well any more (that one was my fault), battery doesn't hold it's charge for a full day and now even Face ID has died after the last iOS update.

I'm thinking that I probably don't need the massive screen of the Max or the extra power of the Pros so the 12 Mini is looking like a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s the cost of a new battery? 50 Or 60 pounds and your phone will easily be useable for another couple of years.
    Exactly - not much compared to a new watch battery! - and most watches have a screw back and battery replacement can be achieved with a £5 battery (or a lot less) from the supermarket or Amazon. No idea how you take apart an iPhone or how to fit the battery, or what they cost to do yourself - actually pretty cheap to get done by Apple if you think of it that way.

I’ve got about 3 old Nokia phones up in the loft. Haven’t touched them for about 15 yrs. mite have to get up the loft and see if they work

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I have the first gen iPhone SE and a 5S as a backup. I've avoided updating because I don't want a phone the size of a tablet in my pocket. Now the battery is about cream crackered I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably end up replacing the battery, although I did that already for the screen and battery a couple years ago. Unfortunately I used one of these companies who come out to you so probably not Apple original parts so Apple probably won't put an OE battery in it. So it's another crappy aftermarket battery or replace it.
    I would agree, except my eyesight is not as good as it was so the gradual increase in iPhone size and screen size has been a necessary evil for me. The upside is you also get a bigger battery with the bigger size, and I find my 11 still fits in a jeans pocket, plus I use it a lot more for general browsing and even watch the odd you tube clip on my phone as the screen is that bit larger and clearer. Ymmv of course, but now the screen covers the whole front of the phone you get a much larger screen for a slightly larger phone

Craftsman
    I have an 8 Plus, which I purchased on Black Friday 2017 and planning on buying the 12 Pro on the same day this year so hoping there are some offers around - it may of course be too soon but fingers crossed!

My 8 Plus is working fine and battery lasts a long time when not taking lots of photos or phoning a lot etc.

I would like a slightly smaller phone now though as the 8 Plus tends to occupy an entire trouser pocket and am looking forward to using facial recognition!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I changed my 6s for a 2020 SE a few months ago. To look at there is no difference, basically the same dimensions.

The battery life is significantly better as is how quickly the processor delivers the various actions. I can't fault it really and would struggle to find a reason to buy an 11 or 12 over the SE which cost appreciably more

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I miss the old days. I was very interested in mobile phones as a young teenager and made good money buying and selling them. It was so exciting upgrading to a new phone each year and enjoying the leaps in technology.

It is a very dull experience now with each iphone being very similar to the last.
    I worked for Carphone Warehouse for a numbers of years from around 2001. It was a great time to be working in that industry. The first colour screen phone, polyphonic ringtones, the first camera phone (albeit an attachment that had to be clipped on) and making a ‘video’ call for the first time. I often had multiple handsets on various contracts as there were so many ‘cool’ new phones to try. How times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I worked for Carphone Warehouse for a numbers of years from around 2001. It was a great time to be working in that industry. The first colour screen phone, polyphonic ringtones, the first camera phone (albeit an attachment that had to be clipped on) and making a ‘video’ call for the first time. I often had multiple handsets on various contracts as there were so many ‘cool’ new phones to try. How times have changed.
    Ah I remember all of those things as well as WAP/GPRS, banana phone, Nokia communicator, Bluetoothing songs to each other, hacked phones with free calls, changing the message centre for free sms. There was also lots of money be made.

I wish there was a new technology to get as excited about. Maybe it’s also an age thing. I ordered a ps5 just to have some new tech but I doubt I’ll play it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Yes mobiles seemed more fun then! Still think the Motorola KRZR K1 was the coolest phone ever, I even bought a new one to keep and just look at as well as my old one.

Yes mobiles seemed more fun then! Still think the Motorola KRZR K1 was the coolest phone ever, I even bought a new one to keep and just look at as well as my old one.
    One of the worst phones I ever owned but one of the best looking. I still have one somewhere. Work of art.

Not quite as quirky but this was the best phone I owed. It felt so nice to hold!

https://manual-user-guide.com/images...nokia_8800.png

Not quite as quirky but this was the best phone I owed. It felt so nice to hold!
    Still really expensive and relatively sought after. Always found the 7 and 9 keys hard to use with my fat thumbs, especially when texting.

Blog Entries

https://manual-user-guide.com/images...nokia_8800.png
    Still have my old Nokia Navigator, thought it was brilliant when I bought it but using it was a bit...meh.

Having said that I also still have my Motorola v220 flip phone (as well as loads of others!)

Blog Entries
    I got the 512gb 11 Pro Max this time last year, I did feel at at the time that I was being royally stiffed on the cost but I still bought it and have been 100% happy with it and will not be upgrading to a 12 anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Still really expensive and relatively sought after. Always found the 7 and 9 keys hard to use with my fat thumbs, especially when texting.
    I think if I could break my internet and social media addiction then I’d go back to one of them! Maybe I should watch the social dilemma one more time :)

Apple Keynote tonight, I’ll be keeping my iPhone 10XS Max unless the new iPhone 12 has a USB C port instead of the lightning connection they currently have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    News says a huge step forward with the new chip and predicted 5g. I’m way overdue an upgrade now as I’m still on the 7

Master
    The one phone I really miss is my old Nokia 8800

Back before the days that phones were just glass slabs and had some design flair.
    It felt good to use like winding a nice watch while my iphone feels more like setting the microwave.
    It did bugger all other than calls and texts though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    My X is definitely coming to the end of its life... the phone speaker's dying, camera doesn't work too well any more (that one was my fault), battery doesn't hold it's charge for a full day and now even Face ID has died after the last iOS update.

I'm thinking that I probably don't need the massive screen of the Max or the extra power of the Pros so the 12 Mini is looking like a good bet.
    I'm still using a 6s, replaced the battery earlier in the year and its back to normal battery life.

Blog Entries
    Link to event starts at 6pm today if anyone fancies wasting some time.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/event-stream/

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Link to event starts at 6pm today if anyone fancies wasting some time.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/event-stream/
    Can't wait for the man from Chingford to tell us all "this the best/fastest/most advanced iPhone we've ever made" with a straight face. When did they make an iPhone that was worse than the one the year before?

Some details here:

iPhone 12: Apple makes jump to 5G https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54510361

I've had iphones in the past because of their build quality and innovation.

More recently though I have switched to Android and Samsung phones, as I find Android is more flexible and customisable. You certainly can't fault the feel and build quality of Samsung phones (The prices are high though!)

The wife is a total Apple addict, Iphone8, Ipad Pro and Macbook Air.

However, the BBC news article on the 5nm technology, used in the iPhone12 was quite interesting - each switch 29 atoms across - bloody hell.

Nice to see an European country leading the way in this new technology..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54510363

Craftsman
    I like the new bezels but I bet that edge against your ear on a long call will become fatiguing as it did with 4.

Anyone else got any concerns about the MagSafe feature? My initial thought was mechanical watch killer.

Don’t want to sound too negative about the 12. I like and use a number of Apple products

Craftsman
    I’ve registered a preorder reminder for the pro max on apples website.

Mine is 4-years old so primarily interested in using an improved camera and screen.

Apple offer trade in on old model which makes for a straightforward joined up purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    However, the BBC news article on the 5nm technology, used in the iPhone12 was quite interesting - each switch 29 atoms across - bloody hell.

Nice to see an European country leading the way in this new technology..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54510363
    That's incredible.

Master
    So is the magsafe charger similar to the charger for the watches, and, do you need it to charge the iphone 12 or can you still use the cable that you might have laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    iPhone 7 here with a shagged battery and been mulling an upgrade for while, but I don't care about 5G (yet) and I don't care about camera quality, so to be honest it's very difficult to look beyond an iPhone SE for £400 and just get a bump up in performance. I'd spend a quarter of that having Apple replace the battery in this one anyway.

The one thing that does interest me in the new range is that the iPhone 12 Mini is supposedly a 5.4" screen whilst my regular sized iPhone 7 has a 4.7" diagonal. So I'm guessing that, given they're virtually bezel-less now, the XY chassis dimensions of the mini will be very similar to what I've got.
    A replacement battery for your iPhone 7 would cost you £49. IMHO it’s well worth doing.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipho.../battery-power

BTW the mini’s dimensions are substantially smaller than the iPhone 7. It’s about half way between the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 in size. It’s the one I’m thinking of buying.

Nice to see they have brought the iPhone 4 back. I always though that was the nicest looking model in my opinion. I predict the blue will be the one to have just like green was for the 11.

Having said all that, I think the upgrades are pretty minor and 5G is not all that special. In fact, I do recall the exact same claims being made for 4G and it never felt like that met its claims.

So I will stick with my 11 Pro for at least another year...maybe 2!

I will be upgrading to the 12 mini - which with a 5.4” screen is still significantly bigger than my 7.

I don’t want, need, or like oversized phones at all. I want something that can easily be slipped in my pocket.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Not sure if it’s behind a wall or not, but this review is pretty good :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...12-first-look/
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Smart move doing a smaller size this time around. I’ll wait a year I think. Coped with a 7 for 3 years until the 11 was released, usually bought on release day every year for 5 years before 2016. Will Upgrade next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I don’t want, need, or like oversized phones at all. I want something that can easily be slipped in my pocket.
    Maybe save yourself nearly half the cost and go for the new iPhone SE?

John Lewis are doing them for £379 now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Was going to say the same. A 2020 phone and great reviews.

Good call - I hadn't appreciated the new SE screen is the same size as the 7 (my current). I'd want 256gb though which adds another £150.

JL must be cheaper in England, I'm seeing £409+ up here.

Master

Website still says start at £409 and £469 for 128GB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Website still says start at £409 and £469 for 128GB
    Interesting - I was looking at the JL site yesterday and it was definitely £379 for the 64gb. I'm therefore wondering if it was some sort of price-match with amazon prime day prices (13-14 Oct).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Interesting - I was looking at the JL site yesterday and it was definitely £379 for the 64gb. I'm therefore wondering if it was some sort of price-match with amazon prime day prices (13-14 Oct).
    Yes, here's proof for what little that's now worth:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/iph...-lewis-3562829

This year apple has left me confused with what to do.

I definitely want to upgrade because of the 5G. I always go for the Pro model and for day-to-day use, I much prefer the size of the smaller one so my current phone is the 11 Pro (not max). I found the max pretty awkward to use with one hand and put in jeans pockets. This hasn't been a problem in previous years as apart from the size, the hardware is identical. This year, in order to get the much improved camera sensor you have to buy the max. Add to this, the standard 12 Pro is near identical to the normal 12 in terms of hardware (except for LIDAR for 'night portraits' and the extra lens - both of which I wouldn't use much)...so it becomes a strange choice between 12 and 12 Pro Max.

Any yearly updaters facing the same choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Are you sure? Apple does everything in its power to psychologically get you to change.

Its $2,000,000,000,000 valuation is mostly based on flogging $1,000 phones renewals on a very frequent basis.

Master

..so it becomes a strange choice between 12 and 12 Pro Max.

Yes!

I’ve had zero replies to my WTB for an 11, so I thought I’d go for a 12.

Presuming I’d want the very best (12 Pro Max) - I always go for the top model - but also wary of spending £1400 on a phone, I thought I’d just check out the 12, and like you I concluded (much to my bemuzement) that probably the ‘standard’ 12 is the phone I want.

The screen is larger than my 7+ despite being a smaller phone overall, and I don’t think I need a telephoto lens (offered by the Pro Max).

The camera on the 12 is likely to be much++ better than the one on my 7+ anyway (and my7+ camera is amazing).

So, probably the 12 it is. The only issue is that the standard 12 only goes to 256gb storage; the pro Max to 512gb... but tbh I doubt I’d need more than 256.

Looking back over the last year, I barely used the telephoto lens. The normal and wide angle got much more use.

I’ve got LIDAR on my iPad pro and again, it’s not very useful. It’s meant to make AR better but I’ve seen no use for AR apart from gimmicks like “looking” at products in AR...pointless. Using it for night portrait mode on the 12 Pro isn’t something I’d do much of.

This makes the iPhone 12 Pro’s extra features pretty redundant against the 12.

iphone 12

I definitely want to upgrade because of the 5G. I always go for the Pro model and for day-to-day use, I much prefer the size of the smaller one so my current phone is the 11 Pro (not max). I found the max pretty awkward to use with one hand and put in jeans pockets. This hasn't been a problem in previous years as apart from the size, the hardware is identical. This year, in order to get the much improved camera sensor you have to buy the max. Add to this, the standard 12 Pro is near identical to the normal 12 in terms of hardware (except for LIDAR for 'night portraits' and the extra lens - both of which I wouldn't use much)...so it becomes a strange choice between 12 and 12 Pro Max.

Why do you want 5G?
    At the moment there is no real justification for it, and the ban on Huawei will delay it further. Even when it’s there, it will only show a difference in a specific use.
    Lastly, battery life will be significantly worse, so much so that the phone is designed to default to 4G anyway.

5G’s taking off is at least a year away, and Covid is likely to delay it further. By that time there will be a better, newer iPhone.

Mind, I think the 12 is great, even if I stick to my 8. But I don’t believe that 5G is the right reason to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Why do you want 5G?
    At the moment there is no real justification for it, and the ban on Huawei will delay it further. Even when it’s there, it will only show a difference in a specific use.
    Lastly, battery life will be significantly worse, so much so that the phone is designed to default to 4G anyway.

5G’s taking off is at least a year away, and Covid is likely to delay it further. By that time there will be a better, newer iPhone.

Mind, I think the 12 is great, even if I stick to my 8. But I don’t believe that 5G is the right reason to take the plunge.
    I’ve also wondered why people seem to want 5G. My phone does everything as fast as needed w/o.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    A replacement battery for your iPhone 7 would cost you £49. IMHO it’s well worth doing.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipho.../battery-power

BTW the mini’s dimensions are substantially smaller than the iPhone 7. It’s about half way between the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 in size. It’s the one I’m thinking of buying.
    Pretty good price I reckon. Just wish I had an Apple centre nearby.

Pretty good price I reckon. Just wish I had an Apple centre nearby.

;)