closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone 12

Blog Entries

iphone 12

Released most likely at the October 13 date - leaks indicate there to be six (yep six) different models to choose from. Is anyone else looking to upgrade?

I haven't upgraded for a couple of years, so fancy a change - though my current phone happily runs the latest iOS 14. I'l be looking carefully at the built-in hardware - specifically the cameras.

Of course the cheaper option would be to just replace the battery once it's getting low capacity - probably another couple years before that point based on current use. But someone has to keep the economy going...

This probably applies to other expensive phones too - not just iPhone. Are you upgrading / changing your phone this year?

M

I'll probably change my 3 year old 7plus/128gb for an 11 Pro Max, I usually stay a year behind the latest releases. If 5g was widely available and proven I might have gone for a 12. That said the 7plus is working fine on IOS14, with a battery at 87%, so I may just replace a battery and get another year out of it.
    F.T.F.A.

I always used to change my iPhone every two years, but this year I’ve decided to replace the battery in my two year old XS and hang onto it for another year.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As I jumped into the apple ecosystem this year with a 11 pro max i wont be upgrading for some time.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Blog Entries
    I changed my Android to a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G (that’s easy for me to say). The camera is absolutely stunning and the memory can be expanded via a micro SD card slot. I like the whole Apple ecosystem and use an iPhone XR as my business phone but, the Samsung is certainly far better than any of the current Apple offering. That said wife wants a new 12 Pro :-)

same here on 7 with 84% battery health. Works fine on IOS 14 and is perfect size for me. Was thinking to upgrade earlier this year but never around to it. I'll wait and see what's offered but if too rich I'll just change the battery

Could be my first new Iphone since the 4S.

Usually i'm sniffy about Apple due to the premium pricing and closed ecosystem but a more competitive pricing regime and range of sizes could drag me back in......as well as 5G and my own corporate Iphone being heavily restricted.

I would have stuck with the Huawei P20/30/40 Pro range until they fell out with global governments and access to Google apps is a key feature for me

Red face

Same - recently bought a 512gb 11 Pro Max, so this will keep me going for a couple of years. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    As I jumped into the apple ecosystem this year with a 11 pro max i wont be upgrading for some time.

iphone 6S runs IOS 14 perfectly so dont go thinking your 11 MAX Pro amazing thingy or whatever it is called is about to struggle with updates.

Those days of needing a yearly upgrade are over thank god

Master
    iPhone 7 here with a shagged battery and been mulling an upgrade for while, but I don't care about 5G (yet) and I don't care about camera quality, so to be honest it's very difficult to look beyond an iPhone SE for £400 and just get a bump up in performance. I'd spend a quarter of that having Apple replace the battery in this one anyway.

The one thing that does interest me in the new range is that the iPhone 12 Mini is supposedly a 5.4" screen whilst my regular sized iPhone 7 has a 4.7" diagonal. So I'm guessing that, given they're virtually bezel-less now, the XY chassis dimensions of the mini will be very similar to what I've got.

I am waiting for the 12 to upgrade both my wife and I from the 7's which have been great for several years now.

I am not remotely interested in all the latest features, save for the wireless charging and 5G.

I also don't want one of the large or outsize ones, the size of the 7 is perfect for me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I probably would have bought one but I already upgraded to the iPhone SE2 when it was released earlier this year, that's going to be fine for at least a couple of years.

I'm very encouraged by the prospect of Apple once again manufacturing a sensibly sized phone .

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    I probably would have bought one but I already upgraded to the iPhone SE2 when it was released earlier this year, that's going to be fine for at least a couple of years.
    How are you finding the battery life?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Happy with my Xs Max (and before that a 6s). Not interested in 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    How are you finding the battery life?

It usually lasts me at least the full day and I'm a fairly heavy user. Sometimes I give it an hour during the afternoon to top it up.

Master
    I’ve got an 11 pro max and can’t see what can be any better on the new phone to change. Possibly a tiny improvement on camera and battery life ?

I’m going to stick with this for another couple of years or until 5g really kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    It usually lasts me at least the full day and I'm a fairly heavy user. Sometimes I give it an hour during the afternoon to top it up.
    Good to know. I had heard they'd been poor but depends on each person's usage I guess.

Master
    I’ve had a WTB for an iPhone 11 Pro Max for the better part of a month now and not had a single message... usually I get a new-to-me iphone within a couple of hours of a WTB in years gone by, but I didn’t realise that upgrade time in not until next week, so hopefully I’ll get one then as folk move to the 12.

So, in a way, I’ll be upgrading too!

(Currently have a 7+ from SC, where all my phones come from!)

I have a 7 plus with 83% battery health (I bought it off one of my kids last year) its running ios 14.2 with no problems and the battery lasts me all day with plent to spare but i'm not a heavy user, I won't be wasting my money until one of the kids upgrade and then I will have one of there Xs :).

I bet in reality I could still be running a 5 and it would be doing everything what I need and more.

No as I bought an 11 pro last year. If you are taking photos with your phone and have an older iPhone you will not regret buying a new. It’s night and day difference even compared to 1 or 2 generations back.

I will be looking for an iphone 11

Good to know. I had heard they'd been poor but depends on each person's usage I guess.

Well as an example today it came off the charger at 0700, it's now 16:22 and I've got 38% left. I've made quite a few calls and been using email, social media, news and Audio book apps on and off all day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    No as I bought an 11 pro last year. If you are taking photos with your phone and have an older iPhone you will not regret buying a new. It’s night and day difference even compared to 1 or 2 generations back.
    That’s good to hear. I use mine for photography *a lot* and the images my 7+ produce are pretty amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I’ve had a WTB for an iPhone 11 Pro Max for the better part of a month now and not had a single message... usually I get a new-to-me iphone within a couple of hours of a WTB in years gone by, but I didn’t realise that upgrade time in not until next week, so hopefully I’ll get one then as folk move to the 12.

So, in a way, I’ll be upgrading too!

(Currently have a 7+ from SC, where all my phones come from!)
    Even though the announcements are out next week - the Pro versions may not be available until November (apparently) - actually that's only next month

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Even though the announcements are out next week - the Pro versions may not be available until November (apparently) - actually that's only next month
    Argh! I want my new toy NOW !!

I had every iPhone every year from the 4 to the 7 and moved to the Google Pixel 2 XL. Haven't regretted the switch once.

Since then I've had the Pixel 3, 3XL, 4XL and currently the 4a. I have two of the Pixel 5 on order for my wife and I which will arrive on the 16th and I can't wait.

I tried Samsung but their homemade processors in Europe don't cut the mustard compared to their American models and I hate the bloatware. I also tried a few OnePlus phones which are excellent but have terrible cameras and cheap screens.

These photos were taken earlier this week in Wales at around 1 am with the Pixel 4a, a phone that costs £349. Let that sink in when you hand over laptop money for the new Pro Max. Can't beat Apple for tablets though. The iPads are great and no one else comes close. Apple are 1st, 2nd and 3rd when it comes to tablets.

Master
    My missus bought a Iphone11 last year and is never off the damn thing. Anything that takes the hammering that she gives it makes it worthwhile to buy the best you can get.

I run a humble 6S but it's good enough for me.

I am now a convert to Apple and will be buying either a 15" MacBook Pro or an iMac with the largest screen possible. I just can't see any reason for not buying Apple considering the amount of time we all spend pressing the buttons.

There are 4 things that you use a lot and you should never economise on them, these being shoes, beds, computers and Mobile phones.

Could be my first new Iphone since the 4S.

Usually i'm sniffy about Apple due to the premium pricing and closed ecosystem but a more competitive pricing regime and range of sizes could drag me back in......as well as 5G and my own corporate Iphone being heavily restricted.

I would have stuck with the Huawei P20/30/40 Pro range until they fell out with global governments and access to Google apps is a key feature for me
    Couldn’t you buy the new one, put your work SIM in it and move your personal number to the e-Sim?
    Or does your company need the device to be in their AD to connect (so locked by IMEI/ Hardware Hash)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I had every iPhone every year from the 4 to the 7 and moved to the Google Pixel 2 XL. Haven't regretted the switch once.

Since then I've had the Pixel 3, 3XL, 4XL and currently the 4a...
    I dream about being able to break out of the Apple ecosystem and do feel hostage to them. I love the way all my Apple products talk to each other, and air drop etc

The phones are brilliant but are very expensive and I find them quite limiting (eg no external storage, difficulties in easily handling files and photos).

Many times I’ve thought about switching ( but to what??) and never got beyond that first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I am waiting for the 12 to upgrade both my wife and I from the 7's which have been great for several years now.

I am not remotely interested in all the latest features, save for the wireless charging and 5G.

I also don't want one of the large or outsize ones, the size of the 7 is perfect for me.
    I had a 7 for a number of years and always said it was the size for me. I upgraded to an 11 a number of months ago and have to say I would never go back to the smaller screen size. Still very easy to carry about and the extra screen size is superb for TZUK .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I had a 7 for a number of years and always said it was the size for me. I upgraded to an 11 a number of months ago and have to say I would never go back to the smaller screen size. Still very easy to carry about and the extra screen size is superb for TZUK .
    I recall going from a 6 to a 7+ and thinking “I’ve made a terrible decision” when I first held it. Now, when I compare the two (my 6 serves as an iPod these days) I can’t believe I was able to use such a small screen 😂🤣

Fitting the 7+ into pants pockets can be tricky sometimes eg with a suit, but most of the time it’s not an issue

I had an iPhone 7 for 3 years, upgraded to an 11 about 6 months ago and have to say the screen size and battery life blow the 7 away. I am happy to keep a phone for a few years tbh and considering the use they get (as mini pc’s and cameras as well as phones) I think they work out pretty cost effective, but not if you upgrade every year. If you’re running an iPhone 6 or 7, it’s time to upgrade imho - you will notice the screen, battery and camera improvements immediately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you’re running an iPhone 6 or 7, it’s time to upgrade imho - you will notice the screen, battery and camera improvements immediately.
    To a 12 or to an 11?

I am considering an iPhone 12 Pro but for one reason only. My elderly father has an iPhone 8 and he struggles with the fingerprint ID as, when you look at his thumb, there is no discernible fingerprint so Face ID would be better for him. I MAY give him my iPhone X and purchase the 12 Pro. If my father wasn't a factor I wouldn't bother upgrading as it will be years before 5G is available near me.

I dream about being able to break out of the Apple ecosystem and do feel hostage to them. I love the way all my Apple products talk to each other, and air drop etc

The phones are brilliant but are very expensive and I find them quite limiting (eg no external storage, difficulties in easily handling files and photos).

Many times I’ve thought about switching ( but to what??) and never got beyond that first thought.
    The only annoying thing was losing my WhatsApp history as you can't take that when switching between Android and iOS. That and older family members asking for iPhone/iPad help and I've forgotten how to use one.

I have a MacBook Pro and and iPad Pro but rarely use my personal laptop so no real need for them all to work together. Google works together on any device, as do all emails and social media. WhatsApp is the same on iOS and Android etc, as is FB and everything else. Just the settings and camera look different.

Any iPhone is better than 95% of Android phones. You just have to be careful which Android you choose. Pixel is the best I've found and I prefer it over iOS.

I’ll probably get the 12 pro max.
    So my 11 pro max 256g will be on sc as soon as I do.
    Andy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Since then I've had the Pixel 3, 3XL, 4XL and currently the 4a. I have two of the Pixel 5 on order for my wife and I which will arrive on the 16th and I can't wait.

I tried Samsung but their homemade processors in Europe don't cut the mustard compared to their American models and I hate the bloatware. I also tried a few OnePlus phones which are excellent but have terrible cameras and cheap screens.

These photos were taken earlier this week in Wales at around 1 am with the Pixel 4a, a phone that costs £349. Let that sink in when you hand over laptop money for the new Pro Max. Can't beat Apple for tablets though. The iPads are great and no one else comes close. Apple are 1st, 2nd and 3rd when it comes to tablets.
    I finally broke away from Apple 2 years ago and had the Pixel 3XL. Thought it was a fantastic phone and the camera is / was far superior to the 11 pro max I have now.

Only reason why I went back to Apple is that the Pixel broke twice ( screen issue and charging port ). With Apple you just go in the shop and they replace or repair instantly.

With google it was talk on email back and forwards with a reply every 48 hours and then post off and wait for 2 weeks. It was genuinely a nightmare trying to sort it out quickly as you have to post the phone to Poland first then it’s sent on to their repair centres.

The whole process was genuinely of the most annoying thing I’ve ever experienced with my life. Their tech team are abysmal and you can never communicate with the same person twice on email so you need up repeating yourself and going round in circles.

So for the reasons above I’m back on Apple but I miss the camera big time on the Pixel phone they are not in the same league when it comes to taking pictures.

I’m pretty sure I’ll go for a 12 Pro - principally because my wife wants my Xs and that’s a really good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I finally broke away from Apple 2 years ago and had the Pixel 3XL. Thought it was a fantastic phone and the camera is / was far superior to the 11 pro max I have now.

Only reason why I went back to Apple is that the Pixel broke twice ( screen issue and charging port ). With Apple you just go in the shop and they replace or repair instantly.

With google it was talk on email back and forwards with a reply every 48 hours and then post off and wait for 2 weeks. It was genuinely a nightmare trying to sort it out quickly as you have to post the phone to Poland first then it’s sent on to their repair centres.

The whole process was genuinely of the most annoying thing I’ve ever experienced with my life. Their tech team are abysmal and you can never communicate with the same person twice on email so you need up repeating yourself and going round in circles.

So for the reasons above I’m back on Apple but I miss the camera big time on the Pixel phone they are not in the same league when it comes to taking pictures.
    I had recurring issues with the 2 XL and the warranty experience is terrible. Truly terrible. I went through the same thing as you and cursed the phones for it. My wife hasn't had any issues with her Pixel 3 but it is getting slow now.

The weird thing is they have two different warranty routes depending on how you bought the phone. If you buy the phone direct from Google they post you out a new one before you send your old one back (but do pre-authorisd your card for RRP in case you don't send the old one back) and it's seamless. If you buy your phone anywhere else you get the same rotten experience we both head. I bought my 2 XL from PC World and the 3, 3XL and 4XL from Carphone Warehouse.

From now on I'll only buy from Google direct. The free Bose QC 35 ii's and the £599 price tag help. Google have given up on the silly priced top tier stuff, it was holding them back.

My Nokia 8850 says hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    The one thing that does interest me in the new range is that the iPhone 12 Mini is supposedly a 5.4" screen whilst my regular sized iPhone 7 has a 4.7" diagonal. So I'm guessing that, given they're virtually bezel-less now, the XY chassis dimensions of the mini will be very similar to what I've got.
    Agree. For this reason, there is high potential for the "12 Mini" to be the best selling one...

iphone 12

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    My Nokia 8850 says hi!
    A great phone! One of my favourites along with the Ericsson T68i and T28.

To a 12 or to an 11?
    Depends - if you must have the latest, and you’ll make it last 3 years a 12 (maybe) otherwise an 11. Can’t see 5G appearing in my rural location for a while so reckon my 11 will be fine for a couple more years.

Journeyman
    I have an Xs and it’s getting to the point where the battery won’t hold a charge for longer than a few hours. Trapped in the iPhone upgrade cycle and no doubt filling the release of the 12 upgrade my ‘older’ phone will become unusable forcing an upgrade

3 years seems to be as long as an iPhone lasts

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    I have an Xs and it’s getting to the point where the battery won’t hold a charge for longer than a few hours. Trapped in the iPhone upgrade cycle and no doubt filling the release of the 12 upgrade my ‘older’ phone will become unusable forcing an upgrade

3 years seems to be as long as an iPhone lasts
    What’s the cost of a new battery? 50 Or 60 pounds and your phone will easily be useable for another couple of years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s the cost of a new battery? 50 Or 60 pounds and your phone will easily be useable for another couple of years.
    Might be worth a try. My phone says that it’s at 84% capacity but in real life use goes from fully charged to 20% in about 4 hours

I miss the old days. I was very interested in mobile phones as a young teenager and made good money buying and selling them. It was so exciting upgrading to a new phone each year and enjoying the leaps in technology.

It is a very dull experience now with each iphone being very similar to the last.

The W800i was one of the best but I also had a T68 and T28. The T28 was too hard to text on for me. Bit embarrassing when the headphones from the W800i dislodged on the bus and nsync goes on loudspeaker on full volume. Credibility lost.

Master
    I still have an old Nokia 3310 and I can't remember what year I bought it but it must be around 20 years ago. It still works and the battery seems to last forever. If you just want something to give and take phone calls plus texting, then it's fine. It was certainly bash proof.

I believe you can buy an updated model for around £50.