closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: iphone 12

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    To be fair all of my iphones have gone into a case, which sort of defeats the object some time. I cant trust myself with >£1000 worth of phone!!
    Same here. My phones live in a case 100% of the time.

I’ve always wanted to try without a case to be able to admire the phone and feel how slim it is, but;

1) they’re surprisingly slippery to hold
    2) I’m not prepared to spend ££ replacing it when the damage happens, which I think is near inevitable without a case.

My 4 years old 7+ looks like new out of the case / screen protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    The iPhone 12 Mini is smaller than the current SE but had a larger screen.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ip...ne-se-3796782/

This shows a size comparison between the original SE and the new 12 mini (a dummy unit). The 12 Mini is a bit bigger than the original SE and smaller than the 7.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/05...one12-vs-se-7/
    There is a nice size comparison site here between the new iPhones/any other phone:

https://www.hotspot3d.com#compare/ap...phone-12-black

and also here (choose the layered option):

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...es/11294,11333

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a glitch on battery readings on the old SE. My wife's was also saying 94% BUT it was obvious the battery was shot, it went from 94 to nothing in no time. Seems a coincidence, a genuine 94% after 4 years seems unprecedented, degradation on most models seems to be at least 5% p.a for normal use, charging once a day.

Battery life on new SE is superb, it might have a battery that is not rated much higher than the 6S but night and day consumption.
    I recently replaced my wife’s 3 year old SE with a new one as her battery was also indicating good health but drained almost instantly in use. I’d agree the new SE seems a big improvement over the old.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

I’ve always wanted to try without a case to be able to admire the phone and feel how slim it is, but;

2) I’m not prepared to spend ££ replacing it when the damage happens, which I think is near inevitable without a case.

It’s the slipperiness that’s key for me too - they are just dreadful things to hold without a case, the only time I’ve ever dropped any phone has been a naked iPhone - luckily onto carpet. All that sleek glass and metal looks lovely in the adverts but not ideal in practice!

For those of you interested in the size difference of the 12 mini

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHOjKteBLk9/

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

I had no case on my iPhones from 2009 until last year. Not a single accident or even scratches on the screen. The iPhone 7 looked pretty much brand new after 3 years. And yes the iPhone 3G “soap bar” survived 3 years as a student ...

Got the 11 pro, no case, and got scratches on the screen within a month. Pretty miffed. Turns out they changed the glass to be softer, eg traded scratch resistance for shatter proof. Could have at least told me?

Craftsman
    I have an 11 (128GB) which I bought on release day last year sitting on 85% battery.

I wear it down to single digits most days but very rarely charge it between waking up and going to bed.

I’m sure my 3 year old 7 wasn’t be that low when I sold it last year.

No idea what it’ll be on this time next year when it comes to selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    I have an 11 (128GB) which I bought on release day last year sitting on 85% battery.

I wear it down to single digits most days but very rarely charge it between waking up and going to bed.

I’m sure my 3 year old 7 wasn’t be that low when I sold it last year.

No idea what it’ll be on this time next year when it comes to selling.
    Had my 11 for 9 months, only ever drops to about 30% before I give it a boost on the charger. Still says 100 battery! - I don’t think wearing it down to single digits daily is a brilliant idea from what I’ve read?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Had my 11 for 9 months, only ever drops to about 30% before I give it a boost on the charger. Still says 100 battery! - I don’t think wearing it down to single digits daily is a brilliant idea from what I’ve read?
    I’ve shot myself in the foot over the first year then if that’s the case, tbf it’s exactly what I’ve done with all my other iPhones (6/7 of them). I’ll be honest with my work ones I’ve never cared but my own I’d like to think I care (never use dodgy chargers and always charge once a day).

Thanks for letting me know btw - guess I can try to prevent any more damage by charging more. I’ll look into it.

Silly me has always assumed the exact opposite.

Master
    I’ve shot myself in the foot over the first year then if that’s the case, tbf it’s exactly what I’ve done with all my other iPhones (6/7 of them). I’ll be honest with my work ones I’ve never cared but my own I’d like to think I care (never use dodgy chargers and always charge once a day).

Thanks for letting me know btw - guess I can try to prevent any more damage by charging more. I’ll look into it.

Silly me has always assumed the exact opposite.
    I googled this recently when acquiring an iPhone and the consensus seemed to be that keeping it in the 40-80% zone was optimal, e.g.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ch...phone-3693086/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I googled this recently when acquiring an iPhone and the consensus seemed to be that keeping it in the 40-80% zone was optimal, e.g.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ch...phone-3693086/
    Cheers! That’s what I’ll do going forward!

My girlfriend got one the same day - I bet hers is at 100%..

Master
    I have a 4 year old 7+ and I only ever charge it overnight, so it gets about 9 hours of continuous charge per 24 hours. That’s how I’ve always charged my iPhones; only topping up in the day if I’m using it a lot. It’s exceptionally rare to ever drop below 30-40%, and it’s never gone completely flat. I don't know if this is a good or bad way to treat / charge my phone, but it's what I've always done and it seems to keep my batteries going for years.

Battery health is at 92%.

Also I always disable the ‘optimal charging’ thing as sometimes I get up earlier and need it to be 100% not 80% charged.
    Last edited by ach5; 7th November 2020 at 11:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone got one of the leather cases?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    I have an Xs and it’s getting to the point where the battery won’t hold a charge for longer than a few hours. Trapped in the iPhone upgrade cycle and no doubt filling the release of the 12 upgrade my ‘older’ phone will become unusable forcing an upgrade

3 years seems to be as long as an iPhone lasts
    Yeah. Our work upgrade cycle used to be 3 years but unless you had a plus your battery was gone after 2 years. Unfortunately now have the privilege to be provided with an Android by my current employer.. less said the better.

Craftsman
    Ordered an iPhone 12 pro max 256Gb yesterday, estimate of approx 3-week for delivery.

This will replace my 7 plus, so hoping to see a step up in performance. I’m particularly interested in an improved camera and screen quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Ordered an iPhone 12 pro max 256Gb yesterday, estimate of approx 3-week for delivery.

This will replace my 7 plus, so hoping to see a step up in performance. I’m particularly interested in an improved camera and screen quality.

I’ve just gone from 7+ to 11 pro max and the step up is remarkable in every area. I settled for the 11 as I didn’t think the additional cost of a 12 would see much more improvement; and they’re out of stock presently and I needed one ASAP. Glad I did. I’d strongly consider a used / insurance replacement 11PM from SC.

Craftsman
    iPhone question....

My phone asked me to put in my Outlook account password the other day like it often does...however since then all my emails for the day arrive onto my phone the following morning so I’m missing things.

Any idea if there is a setting to adjust this?!

iPhone question....

My phone asked me to put in my Outlook account password the other day like it often does...however since then all my emails for the day arrive onto my phone the following morning so I’m missing things.

Any idea if there is a setting to adjust this?!
    Under settings, mail, accounts look at fetch/push settings.

Push will allow mail to be pushed from server as arrives. Fetch will fetch mail from server at chosen intervals.

Note, not all servers will push and push increases battery usage.

Master
    Juts coming back to the battery point - ive had pretty much every model iPhone going and have a 11 pro thats 10 months old and I did a health check to see y battery at 75% capacity and so Ive just had a replacement sent under apple care, strange as none of my others in the past have gone through a battery in such a short space of time.

Now do I keep the 11 pro or sell it and upgrade to the 12???????

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Under settings, mail, accounts look at fetch/push settings.

Push will allow mail to be pushed from server as arrives. Fetch will fetch mail from server at chosen intervals.

Note, not all servers will push and push increases battery usage.
    Thanks, will give it a try!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Juts coming back to the battery point - ive had pretty much every model iPhone going and have a 11 pro thats 10 months old and I did a health check to see y battery at 75% capacity and so Ive just had a replacement sent under apple care, strange as none of my others in the past have gone through a battery in such a short space of time.

Now do I keep the 11 pro or sell it and upgrade to the 12???????
    If you’re going back to 100% battery life I’d say it’s purely down to finances rather than anything else.

Are they replacing on the basis it shouldn’t be at 75% after 10 months? Or is it just dying very quickly (I.e. more conventionally faulty)?

Master
    If you’re going back to 100% battery life I’d say it’s purely down to finances rather than anything else.

Are they replacing on the basis it shouldn’t be at 75% after 10 months? Or is it just dying very quickly (I.e. more conventionally faulty)?
    I’ve got Apple care so theyve sent me a new handset under the basis the battery shouldn’t be that low in that space of time, I’m now asking the ? Is the upgrade worth it as I can sell my replacement/new 11 pro and get the upgrade but is it worth it

Craftsman
    iPhone 12 pro max 256Gb out for delivery

Master
    Upgraded 2 days ago from an 8 to a mini 12 and I love it. Screen etc is just amazing.

Slight confusion when playing in the car when the music kept cutting out as the screen went off, but turning off some ‘awareness’ thing solved that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I’m considering buying a 12 mini when they areout.

This is to replace my SE which is now about 4 years old and has been brilliant. Battery percentage is 94 which I think is very good given usage.

I would really like to handle the 12 mini before I buy but I realise I’m going to have to buy blind.
    Went for iPhone 12 in the end in deference to my ageing eyesight. Seems fine to me and not too big either.

Craftsman
    Settled on mini 12, was curious how the screen size would be compared to X and poor eyesight but no issues, size in hand is great and fits in pockets great, well pleased

Craftsman
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 256Gb has landed. It’s so shinny and those cameras really are prominent.

Should be renamed as making phone calls are such a small part of what they get used for.

Master

Yea they replaced the unit with no questions asked I assume because the battery should of lasted longer than it had (personally I would of just changed the battery) so I’m not complaining

Master
    If anyone would like a comparison or any questions or photos to aak happy to try and answers. I upgrade every year simfree. I have changed both my 11 pro max phones for initially a 12 pro and and now two 12 pro max phones. Wife had changed to a max pro pacific blue.

The 12 pro max is big ( yes I know on specs it is, it just looks bigger and initially I was not sure about it) than the 11 pro max; a week on I don’t notice the difference any more. But initially impression the first day was I am not sure about the difference. Bow I found the 12 pro is lovely but using both side by side I will always go for the max.
    I still have a spare 11 pro max if I change my mind, however I doubt I will now.

The biggest thing I have noticed is the screen the 11 pro max was great this time around the screen almost edge to edge makes it pop. The cameras are amazing if you have a 11 pro max than the 12 pro imho is very similar. However as I have a 1 year old I wanted the pro max for the better camera.
    Being honest a week on I don’t notice much difference in camera aqaukty except low light when the 12 tajes the phone in a sec whilst the 12 pro takes a few seconds.

Battery life is about 2 days with pro max and a day with the 12. Ref 4G and 5G, I get some round my work area and home area; with 4G I am hitting speeds of up to 100 on 4G and 5G very similar. Though looking at the map I am not supposed to have 5G near me yet. Speed is improved over my 11 pro max phones even on home WiFi is it faster.

I changed my number from three to an EE sim only £20 a month with 200gb 5G and Apple Music smart benefit. Find it amazing with the phone constantly good signal everywhere. Vodafone where I have an unlimited everything is absolutely shocking and I can barely use the data when I can I get between 5-40mbps unless I am within 40m of a mast.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Settled on mini 12, was curious how the screen size would be compared to X and poor eyesight but no issues, size in hand is great and fits in pockets great, well pleased
    Just swapped my XS for the IPhone 12 mini.

Amazing how Apple markets a normal size phone as a mini! Just like 5 guys and their little cheeseburgers

Never got why apple moved on from normal sized phones. I only went to the XS as I dropped the phone at the start of a 3 month vacation.

Benifits of the 12 pro did not seem that great when using it.

Hopefully apple realises that they don't need to act like Panerai & make a pro Mini....

'Normal' sized phones are 6" now, at all price points.

It's interesting to read the sales of the iPhone 12 Mini have been quite a bit below expectations. For a few years now manufacturers have said the 'demand' for smaller phones is from a vocal minority and sales never match the noise, so they're not worth producing. That seems to have been proven again - put a full spec small phone in the market, and people still opt to buy the larger equivalent even though it's more expensive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini lasts for one more generation, just to capture the two-year refresh cycle, and then disappears for good.