closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Low cost investment

Journeyman

Low cost investment

I am looking for rather than a boring saving account a watch to start investing in. Harrods tudor? Bb58 blue? Any recommendations. I know of the ultraman etc etc that have shot up. I'm not talking rolex here I'm talking £4k max. Are people actually paying £4k for harrods watches or are they priced in hope? I'm close to pressing the button on a bb58 blue. I want something I can throw on a credit card and pay 0% around £250 a month then upgrade etc

Master
    Any watch that sells for less than £4K is hardly likely to be an investment. The reality of investments is that in the main, the more you pay for an investment, the more likely that it will escalate in value.

Buy your watch because you like it and if the value goes up, then so good but don't bank on it.

Journeyman
    Lots of harrods out there for £4k ish not sure why when they can be easily bought

A lot of dealers are selling the Harrods and the Blue at a premium, so make sure you don't buy one of those as the excess is just dead money. You are unlikely to get a discount, but picking one up at list price is essential.

I agree with Mick (for once), only buy something that you actually like and although it's an asset that can be turned back into cash, it's not an investment.

Master
    I don’t think any watch can classed as an investment, yeah you might get lucky and it goes up in value but an investment it is not. You just got to buy what you like and see what happens after that I think

There is no easy ticket to an "investment" watch.
    The watches that print money are in high demand and you have to wait for years to get one, or pay the market rate (which makes it no longer an investment).
    All the obvious choices are either too scarce to get, or, when they become commonly available, the investment premium evaporates.

So, unless you can short circuit waiting lists on new pieces, or get your name down for an LE that creates massive demand, you are left with a choice.

Either educate yourself and find an example of something unknown or unloved that should be valued higher, or needs work to help it achieve its full value.
    In both cases you should end up with watches worth more than you paid, because your knowledge helped you achieve value.

Or, take a risk on something that is not yet popular, or is risky, like a poorly described ebay listing. Then it is up to luck (with some influence of educated guesses) whether you've picked well and make money, or poorly, and you lost.

I have done most of the above, including buying a few things that were not valued and became more so, buying examples that need work and were valued better for having that work. Even buying from sources that others weren't using.
    I am improving a very nice chrono at the moment, that I think will be worth more than I paid for it. Not that I will sell it, it is something I have wanted for years.

I have picked well, and I have picked badly. Won and lost. Overall, I am ahead of the game at the moment, but it would be hard not to be, given my interest in vintage pieces, and the rises that many vintage watches have undergone since I started collecting 14 years or so ago.

I have not made money, per se, but you could say I have built my collection's value, paying for it with my time in searching and learning, as well as my money.
    Along the way I have been very lucky and owned some great watches, and I also have restored many that might not otherwise have survived, most of which I have passed on to new owners here. I have had the satisfaction of chasing down some rare gems, and I have missed some really great watches. And it's all been really interactive and great fun.

But I do not think that anything readily available in the high street can be regarded as an investment, per se. At most you might avoid a loss over a signifiant time.
    Good luck
    Dave

Blog Entries
    sorry mate. low cost watch (and the majority of any watch type) as investment is an oxymoron. If you want investment, buy an investment vehicle.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th October 2020 at 10:16.

Buy secondhand and something you like. It might appreciate, but it’s more likely you’ve a slowly depreciating asset that someone else took the big hit on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app