closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown and Tap sizes

Master

Crown and Tap sizes

I am refurbishing an old quartz watch for my Dad. The plating has come off the crown so a new one would be nice. I measured the diameters of the crown head, the stem and the pendant tube. The stem is 0.8mm which for most places equates to Tap 11. However in the wonderful world of Cousins it equates to Tap 8. Which is a bit confusing. Have they gone and done their own thing, made a mistake or am I missing something?

The crown I subsequently ordered is a tad on the small side which is a bit annoying. A quick re-measure suggests that the stem may be 0.9mm. Before I place another order it would be good to know if I am doing anything wrong.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using Tapatalk

Master
    Might not help but I’ve a spare 10 tap here (if it helps)

If you measured somewhere between 0.8 and 0.9mm with a Vernier gauge or micrometre, it is likely you need a tap 9.
    Tap 9 is also a common size on quartz watches

Master
    It has been explained to me that there are two different ways of describing the Tap sizing. The Swiss method and the US method.

In the Swiss method the Tap number directly relates to the measurement of he stem. E.g. a measurement of 0.9mm equates to Tap 9.

In the US method there isn't. Furthermore, as the measurement increases the Tap number decreases so that 0.8mm equates to Tap 11 and 0.9mm equates to Tap 10.

Every day is a school day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Might not help but I’ve a spare 10 tap here (if it helps)
    Thank you for the kind offer Lewie but I should be alright.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    If you measured somewhere between 0.8 and 0.9mm with a Vernier gauge or micrometre, it is likely you need a tap 9.
    Tap 9 is also a common size on quartz watches
    Thank you Olli, that is really useful information. I have ordered a Tap 9 and we'll see how I get on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    It has been explained to me that there are two different ways of describing the Tap sizing. The Swiss method and the US method.

In the Swiss method the Tap number directly relates to the measurement of he stem. E.g. a measurement of 0.9mm equates to Tap 9.

In the US method there isn't. Furthermore, as the measurement increases the Tap number decreases so that 0.8mm equates to Tap 11 and 0.9mm equates to Tap 10.

Every day is a school day.

I have found this subject exceptionally confusing and frustrating too. See my thread from a couple of years ago, with a few helpful replies. I can confirm that Cousins use the Tap9 = 0.9mm Tap12 = 1.2mm etc.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-size-tap-size