closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SMP or BB58

Craftsman

SMP or BB58

I’ll try and make this one short. I’m having a bit of a collection dilemma. I picked up a sedna and steel SMP on rubber in July this year from the forum. I love SMPs having had I think 8 now. The sedna one I lusted after and hunted out for such a long time so I was chuffed to get hold of one for a decent price and in perfect nick. But now...

I’m thinking that I prefer a watch on bracelet with a bit of micro adjust. My obsessiveness pings when a watch strap is slightly too tight or loose. Plus I’m having unnatural thoughts of a BB58 (and I’ve previously owned and enjoyed its big brother but sold it due to the slab sidedness on my 17.5cm wrist).

My thinking is:
    - The BB58 on bracelet will cover off the micro adjust requirement
    - The black BB58 is gorgeous and the gilt ticks the box for my requirement on a bit of colour
    - The price difference second hand should net me 1k back into my pocket (It’s not an option until Feb to simply add the BB58 to my collection - one in one out until Feb)
    - I already have two-tone covered off in my collection with the 116613LB
    - I’m leaning more and more toward no date watches

My hesitance is:
    - I’m only end up buying another SMP (possibly the NTTD, Nekton or Tantalum one)
    - Words can’t describe how much I love Sedna over yellow gold
    - As I have a new addition to the family in Feb next year, I was thinking on getting a birth year watch - so maybe I should keep the SMP and just buy the additional BB58 in Feb (but that will mean 5 months of lusting after the BB58)

I think I’m looking for some enablement here, or a sanity check from someone who has both a BB58 and the latest SMP.

Pic for context:

Last edited by NickGaters; 6th October 2020 at 09:22. Reason: Fixed tapatalk odd characters

BB58.

All day long and twice on Sundays.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    BB58.

Strong words, especially given your username :-)

I would keep the SMP and add the Omega adjustable clasp - if you have the bracelet? As this is a work of art and very comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would keep the SMP and add the Omega adjustable clasp - if you have the bracelet? As this is a work of art and very comfortable.
    That’s not an option unfortunately. This latest generation of SMP comes with the adjustable clasp, but I got this one on rubber. If this were just a steel only SMP I could get a new steel bracelet and clasp for 600 direct from Omega (cheaper 2nd hand), but as this is two tone the bracelet and clasp is 2.5k - plus and in my eyes the sedna bracelet doesn’t suit it. Even if the sedna bracelet were a more reasonable price I still prefer the look of the SMP on rubber.

I would buy a SMP over a BB58 every time.
    The clasp should not be the most important factor in choice of watch imo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I would buy a SMP over a BB58 every time.
    The clasp should not be the most important factor in choice of watch imo.
    Ordinarily I would agree with you. However my wrist is incredibly changeable in terms of size v temp and even caffeine consumption/dehydration. I’ve bought new watches before and had them sized in the shop perfectly, walked out the door and had to turn right around and go back in for an extra link to be taken out. It’s amazingly annoying, so micro adjust is really important to me.

Doubly annoying as that means many lovely watches don’t make it onto my wrist as I know I’d be annoyed with the fit. I can only just about put up with my Yachtmaster as that has easy link (although extended in normal weather I’d prefer it to be about 2 mm different).

There may be something in what’s available on different generations of SMP, but can’t you get an omega deployant with micro adjust to fit a rubber strap?

I’ve taken the above picture from another forum’s sale advert.

I believe the part number is Ref: 94531803.

It’ll still work out at a few hundred quid but if you want to keep the seamaster, it seems like a better option to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    There may be something in what’s available on different generations of SMP, but can’t you get an omega deployant with micro adjust to fit a rubber strap?

I’ve taken the above picture from another forum’s sale advert.

I believe the part number is Ref: 94531803.

It’ll still work out at a few hundred quid but if you want to keep the seamaster, it seems like a better option to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that could be an option, good thinking. I’ll do some research and see what kind of blue OEM straps are still available for that previous gen and if they match the blue of current gen.

Edit: Seems that clasp is intended for the double ridged strap version and you cut the strap to suit. Great idea, but not for me though.

If that doesn’t workout I did just think of an alternative compromise:

- Sell my present SMP
    - Buy (yet) another used normal steel SMP on bracelet

I’d lose sedna, but I’d gain micro adjust and probably about 500 quid back. As long as I went with a dial colour of silver or white that ticks my box for a bit of colour. This also has the advantage that I’d end up buying the BB58 next Feb in addition anyway. #Manmaths
    Last edited by NickGaters; 6th October 2020 at 11:03.

Here’s my vote!

Craftsman
    Haha I have zero resolve. Suppose I’d best take some pics of the incumbent watch.

Journeyman
    For what it's worth, of those two, my vote goes to the Black Bay 58. It is my daily wearer and I never get tired of looking at it; it is the perfect size, and the gold detailing with the splash of red in the bezel keeps it far more interesting than your average diver.

But more interesting than the SMP in sedna? Probably not. That's a gorgeous watch so I would think carefully before selling it if you only just acquired it. If you're able to wait a few months and look into the 58 early next year that may be the best option? Unless you 100% know the SMP is not right for you. I'll admit it wouldn't be for me; I love the sedna and think it's the nicest iteration of the current SMP, but I just don't like the way the current SMP sits on my wrist, nor the bulk of the helium valve. The 58 is more svelte and dressy, and for me it was absolutely the right choice - and all the better that it saves a bit of money, too.

Still, as you already have the sedna SMP and admit how much you love the color, I might wear it around a bit more and consider whether you are certain you wouldn't miss it. If you *are* certain, however, I think it's hard to go wrong with the 58.

189E572E-00CB-4365-AF47-A5760ECC2AB3 by J D, on Flickr

Journeyman
    If you want it, get it!

Make an effort to rotate your wearing so it's worth it

Colour scheme is absolutely beautiful.

Craftsman
    Well in the cold light of day I suppose the sensible option is to be a little patient and then I can have both.

If I got rid of the Sedna SMP and regret it I’ll never get another one at a reasonable price. If I can just wait until Feb the bonus is that I’ll have both and I’ll be able to walk into an AD and buy a birth year *and* month watch (seems like the black BB58 is readily available now - I’ve seen loads in AD windows now).

So thanks for everyone’s advice, I do appreciate it. By the almost even SMP to BB58 votes it seems you can’t go wrong with either. I just need to go against my nature, be sensible, patient and stop obsessing over the Tudor. Easier said than done with me.

Bb58 all day if I had to pick just one. Buy both if you can, you’ll only end up selling one either way. It won’t be the bb58.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Each watch has its own colour scheme that 'belongs' to it. So BB58 is black and bronze, SMP is blue.

That said, to see the SMP in black and bronze is really quite a treat, so thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Ordinarily I would agree with you. However my wrist is incredibly changeable in terms of size v temp and even caffeine consumption/dehydration. I’ve bought new watches before and had them sized in the shop perfectly, walked out the door and had to turn right around and go back in for an extra link to be taken out. It’s amazingly annoying, so micro adjust is really important to me.

Doubly annoying as that means many lovely watches don’t make it onto my wrist as I know I’d be annoyed with the fit. I can only just about put up with my Yachtmaster as that has easy link (although extended in normal weather I’d prefer it to be about 2 mm different).
    Maybe a modern Sub with glide link would be the answer. 😀

(Sorry that is probably not helping!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    BB58.

Agreed!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Maybe a modern Sub with glide link would be the answer. 😀

(Sorry that is probably not helping!)
    Much to my wife’s disgust I already have one. The fit of my 116613LB is probably a big reason why I’m spoilt with micro adjust. Although I have to say I prefer the latest omega micro adjust over glide lock. Feels a little more robust.

Maybe a Pelagos? I’ve come close a couple of times to getting one but never made it.

I did have a brief dalliance with the idea of trying for the latest no date sub. But then I remembered the whole unpleasantness of the AD experience and swiftly came to my senses.

I absolutely love the sedana SMP on rubber. It’s a gorgeous watch that I’ve lusted after for quite a while. Then I tried one on. Oh dear. It just doesn’t sit right on my 16.5cm wrist. I’ve since been back to the AD and tried on other versions, all with the same result. I’m afraid that however much I like the SMP, it’s just not for me.

On the other hand, the BB58 is probably the most worn watch in my collection. Both the original and the blue. I should say though that the micro-adjust isn’t particularly useful for me. To get the right ‘average’ fit, I’ve ended up with 5(I think) links removed and the clasp on the extreme end of the micro-adjustment. Might not be the same for you but something to consider?

I suppose what I’m really saying is that they are both fantastic watches but in my experience, a very different fit. If you can try before you buy, which is now much easier with the BB58, it might be a surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If the SMP doesn't fit (though it is a lovely watch and if it came from SC it could have been mine originally via a couple of other hands perhaps) - I say that is a basic watch requirement. But I wouldn't give up on it.

You could try the steel bracelet on this bi-metal watch or purchase a high grade other strap? example: https://www.bablas.co.uk/hirsch-voya...tch-strap.html

If you can save for the BB58 as an addition you will have two different watches.

Personally - I'm waiting for this one to reach the shelves.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th October 2020 at 19:42.

Master
    I have owned several BB58 and never get the fit quite right. I still have two in my collection both they are for the children. I have not had any inclination to wear. I am in the prowl for another Tudor pelagos as it is turkey one if the most comfortable watches. I miss mine and may see if I can buy it back.

Not sure how it compares but I had a BB GMT and could never quite get the fit right. With one link out it was too tight even with the micro adjustment, with a link in it was too loose. Needs 5 points of adjustment rather than 3.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well in the cold light of day I suppose the sensible option is to be a little patient and then I can have both.

If I got rid of the Sedna SMP and regret it I’ll never get another one at a reasonable price. If I can just wait until Feb the bonus is that I’ll have both and I’ll be able to walk into an AD and buy a birth year *and* month watch (seems like the black BB58 is readily available now - I’ve seen loads in AD windows now).

So thanks for everyone’s advice, I do appreciate it. By the almost even SMP to BB58 votes it seems you can’t go wrong with either. I just need to go against my nature, be sensible, patient and stop obsessing over the Tudor. Easier said than done with me.
    This feels like the correct choice under the circumstances. I've heard - but not sure I quite believe - that patience is a virtue. That sedna is beautiful btw.

The caveat is that the BB58’s micro adjust isn’t an ‘on the fly’ adjustment, if you didn’t know... it’s only 3 pin holes...

Journeyman
    I have a few SMPs. Don’t own a BB58, however I found this video very compelling. https://youtu.be/bMCKs5_B-OA

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If the SMP doesn't fit (though it is a lovely watch and if it came from SC it could have been mine originally via a couple of other hands perhaps) - I say that is a basic watch requirement. But I wouldn't give up on it.

You could try the steel bracelet on this bi-metal watch or purchase a high grade other strap? example: https://www.bablas.co.uk/hirsch-voya...tch-strap.html

If you can save for the BB58 as an addition you will have two different watches.

Personally - I'm waiting for this one to reach the shelves.

The Nekton is definitely in the running for me next year. Good choice. Although I’d likely go the extra mile and buy the short version of the black rubber and see if that solves my ‘between the holes’ obsession.

I did have a hunt for the pics of your old sedna SMP on steel bracelet as I thought a member on here had tried the steel only bracelet, but I couldn’t find the images. On bracelet the SMP with its decent range of micro adjust was always a perfect fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I have owned several BB58 and never get the fit quite right. I still have two in my collection both they are for the children. I have not had any inclination to wear. I am in the prowl for another Tudor pelagos as it is turkey one if the most comfortable watches. I miss mine and may see if I can buy it back.
    Now you mention it, my old BBN I ended up fiddling with the fit constantly. Eventually sold it after a holiday where I ran out of micro adjust holes. If I went Pelagos as the replacement for my SMP (my SMP is actually your old one!) then I’d likely go with the LHD model as I quite like the off white lume and roulette date.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Not sure how it compares but I had a BB GMT and could never quite get the fit right. With one link out it was too tight even with the micro adjustment, with a link in it was too loose. Needs 5 points of adjustment rather than 3.

Just 3 positions is a bit tight, I also thought the BB58 had corrected the omission for its big brothers and gone to 5. I think I’m rapidly going off the BB58 due to this. Be a shame to sell a watch I love and still not be happy

Quote Originally Posted by lostcause257 View Post
    I have a few SMPs. Don’t own a BB58, however I found this video very compelling. https://youtu.be/bMCKs5_B-OA
    Oh yes. Many, many you tube videos reviewed during my present indecisiveness :-)

So I now have in the running:

- Pelagos LHD
    - Back to having unnatural thoughts about a 124060
    - New contender: 43.5mm or 39mm PO on bracelet (I’ve had one before and it fit perfectly due to Omega’s awesome micro adjust). Only reason for sale was crazy ex issues
    Last edited by NickGaters; 8th October 2020 at 11:02.

I can recommend the 39.5 PO - I wear mine on rubber, but bought it on the bracelet. Very comfortable and perfect size for my 6.75 inch wrist. And the quality is a step above the new SMP.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    I can recommend the 39.5 PO - I wear mine on rubber, but bought it on the bracelet. Very comfortable and perfect size for my 6.75 inch wrist. And the quality is a step above the new SMP.
    That’s the same wrist size as me. I don’t suppose i can trouble you for a wrist shot can I?

I had the 43.5 which was Uber comfortable, the 39 must be on another level.

SMP or BB58

BB58 doesn’t have much micro adjustment, only 3 holes and they aren’t enough.

Tudor bracelets are hard to size for my wrist. Take out 3 links & micro adjustment on maximum and it’s a touch tight.
    2 links out & micro adjustment on minimum and it’s quite a bit too slack.
    The bracelets need 5 hole micro adjustment that cover a link length.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    BB58 doesn’t have much micro adjustment, only 3 holes and they aren’t enough.

Tudor bracelets are hard to size for my wrist. Take out 3 links & micro adjustment on maximum and it’s a touch tight.
    2 links out & micro adjustment on minimum and it’s quite a bit too slack.
    The bracelets need 5 hole micro adjustment that cover a link length.

Did someone on here have their watchmaker add an additional micro adjust hole to either their BB58 or normal Black Bay? Wonder how that worked out.

Master
    Did someone on here have their watchmaker add an additional micro adjust hole to either their BB58 or normal Black Bay? Wonder how that worked out.
    Yes they did and believe it was one more hole added to the clasp of a BB58. It looked a great result.

Ant