closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Architects fees for extensions - rough idea?

Question Architects fees for extensions - rough idea?

Just so I don't get ripped off, what would reasonable fees be? Start to finish, ground floor extrension in West London. Only 3 metres by 7 metres, but in a 'Conservation Area'.

All discussions, meetings and drawings though to submission of planning application. Then, dealing with Structural engineer, Building regs, Party wall surveyor. etc.

All input appreciated! :)

Your ‘etc’ covers a pretty large remainder of the process. Assuming you mean a full service, namely briefing-survey-design-planning-b.regs-tender-contract admin-completion, allow for 12 to 15 percent of your projected construction budget for the architect. All other consultants would attract additional fees.

My practice is active in your area and can help with party wall surveys and notifications as well as being able to introduce the other consultants required. Once you’ve had some additional input, ping me a pm.

Blog Entries
    Architect who took care of planning a garage conversion and extension with an extra bathroom, and obtaining permission etc. Total value of work approx 50k, his bill in 2016 about 1.2k all included.

I think we paid 10-12% though this was not full on site support. We arranged all the other stuff.

Currently going through this at the moment.

Stages 0-3 for ground floor, first floor and front porch extensions have cost us £2,400 + £230 planning application fee.

This is to complete through to planning permission granted. We'll then take over with our own surveyors, builders, etc.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 5th October 2020 at 14:52.

We've just paid £1700 inc. VAT for the architect's work on a single storey extension with a cost of about £100k all in. This was to draw up plans, work with structural engineer but no direct PM of the build itself. We're in the SE but not London and we already had planning permission granted.

Structural Engineer costs were a further £400 and Building Control another £1.1k, no party wall considerations and the property isn't listed.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Just so I don't get ripped off, what would reasonable fees be? Start to finish, ground floor extrension in West London. Only 3 metres by 7 metres, but in a 'Conservation Area'.

All discussions, meetings and drawings though to submission of planning application. Then, dealing with Structural engineer, Building regs, Party wall surveyor. etc.

All input appreciated! :)
    When I was doing private work on similar types of projects, I advised around 10% of the construction value for all consultant fee. With it being in a conservation area you might add 1 or 2%. I’d expect a minimum of about £2k upto planning as an estimate

Thanks All. I appreciate the input and comments. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Currently going through this at the moment.

Stages 0-3 for ground floor, first floor and front porch extensions have cost us £2,400 + £230 planning application fee.

This is to complete through to planning permission granted. We'll then take over with our own surveyors, builders, etc.
    Sorry to bump a thread but you're semi-local.

Would you recommend the firm you went with? We're looking to sqaure off an existing old ext (might need to knock down and re-do, not sure) and knock through the kitchen and reception to create one large space.

Asked the next door neighbour who did his ground floor extension and when we called them they said they now only look at projects with £150k minimum spend projects as they're so busy.

Master
    I can recommend an architect.

Approx £1.8k for drawings up to and including planning submitted.
    Construction stage drawings another £1.8k or so. Can dig out the invoices tomorrow if you need.

That’s based on a dormer loft conversion, and minor structural works to the ground floor. Complete refurbishment etc.

Edit: architect and I are in SW15

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry to bump a thread but you're semi-local.

Would you recommend the firm you went with? We're looking to sqaure off an existing old ext (might need to knock down and re-do, not sure) and knock through the kitchen and reception to create one large space.

Asked the next door neighbour who did his ground floor extension and when we called them they said they now only look at projects with £150k minimum spend projects as they're so busy.
    Hi mate, we got the planning approved just before Christmas but clearly now is not the best time to start building so we're sitting tight until spring.

The architect we used has been brilliant. He's friendly, organised, he was pro-active with the planning department and we're weighing up whether to use his company to manage the project so we can move out and not worry about it. That's a bit costly though so we'll see.

I'll drop you a PM later or tomorrow with his details

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I can recommend an architect.

Approx £1.8k for drawings up to and including planning submitted.
    Construction stage drawings another £1.8k or so. Can dig out the invoices tomorrow if you need.

That’s based on a dormer loft conversion, and minor structural works to the ground floor. Complete refurbishment etc.

Edit: architect and I are in SW15
    We're the opposite of London but thank you for the offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Hi mate, we got the planning approved just before Christmas but clearly now is not the best time to start building so we're sitting tight until spring.

The architect we used has been brilliant. He's friendly, organised, he was pro-active with the planning department and we're weighing up whether to use his company to manage the project so we can move out and not worry about it. That's a bit costly though so we'll see.

I'll drop you a PM later or tomorrow with his details
    Cheers, appreciate it. We're not looking to do a huge deal but do need advice re what others do, what's possible etc. Their details would be great, thank you.