closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one for next year

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond47 View Post
    Oh yeah i like how this one is taking shape. Drilled lugs, full lume dial, a manual wind movement; looks like this is going to be a must buy for me Cheers!
    Sorry, but:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It isn't a full-lume dial...

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post

My old Smiths, fwiw. I don’t know anything about this piece (although I wish I did), but it still keeps time beautifully.
    Hi, that’s a lovely watch. It looks to me like a Smiths W10, the relatively unusual RAF issued 6B version.

If you want to know everything about it, I suggest trying the Smiths sub-forum of the Military Watch resource website.

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/foru...Vintage-Smiths

The 6B versions are unusual enough that a register has been set up to record the serial numbers.

Apprentice

Another one for next year

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi, that’s a lovely watch. It looks to me like a Smiths W10, the relatively unusual RAF issued 6B version.

If you want to know everything about it, I suggest trying the Smiths sub-forum of the Military Watch resource website.

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/foru...Vintage-Smiths

The 6B versions are unusual enough that a register has been set up to record the serial numbers.
    Appreciate the referral, [mention]alfat33[/mention]

Here are better qual pics of the engravings:

Last edited by Randy9999; 1st November 2020 at 19:08.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Sorry, but:
    Oh well, one can't have it all in life. No worries, if there is no full lume dial, we just pivot to the black one My PRS-25W fills the *cream dial* spot in the collection nicely. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
    Appreciate the referral, [mention]alfat33[/mention]
    Nice to see you over at MWR Randy (or is that welcome back ).

Looks like a great example.

Randy: nothing wrong with that 6B. Looks like a lovely example. 517/67 says hi!

Re the monopusher: version 4 looks perfect. I keep coming back here to stare at the pics. No further revisions, you can't improve on perfection; less is more and this is bang on. (Possibly someone will suggest something that might make it even better but I honestly can't see how or what.)

Top work from Eddie and the forum on this. The proof of the pudding will be whether it displaces the Everest Expedition currently wedded to my wrist; as they are so dissimilar they might get matched with different outfits or outings. On the other hand (sic) I do have two wrists . . . .

I'm don't do flattery but Time Factors must be the best microbrand out there. That they say "Smiths" on the dial is the icing on the cake.

Right, as you were.

I would love the look of a double domed crystal like on the early PRS-29b but appreciate that the costs would be prohibitive. I keep persuading myself I don’t like chronographs and then this beauty turns up. I think I’ll be joining the scrum on release day.

Master
    I've just been rewatching a 1985 BBC documentary on the submarine service, in which the watch spotter will notice quite a few single pusher asymmetric white dial chronographs on officers' wrist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LF2I3fTbY&t=995s

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I've just been rewatching a 1985 BBC documentary on the submarine service, in which the watch spotter will notice quite a few single pusher asymmetric white dial chronographs on officers' wrist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LF2I3fTbY&t=995s
    This documentary is amazing. This was once cutting edge! Anyone know exactly which watches they are? Lemania?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcurry View Post
    This documentary is amazing. This was once cutting edge! Anyone know exactly which watches they are? Lemania?
    There were special "nuclear sub" Lemanias that were unlumed so as not to trip on-board the radiation monitors.

Last edited by Rev-O; 5th November 2020 at 11:28.

Master
    There are a couple of glimpses where an officer wears a white dial on one wrist, a black dial on the other wrist and a stopwatch round his neck https://youtu.be/I1LF2I3fTbY?t=1352

Master
    There are a couple of glimpses where an officer wears a white dial on one wrist, a black dial on the other wrist and a stopwatch round his neck https://youtu.be/I1LF2I3fTbY?t=1352

Craftsman
    Definately interested in how this develops, I'm not concerned about the thickness at 14.3mm which is the same as my PRS12 1903 which is 38mm diameter, this thickness with 40mm diameter will work well. I would suggest white hands rather than polished as the only negative for me with the PRS12 is the mirrored hands, really difficult to read in certain lighting conditions especially low light.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Definately interested in how this develops, I'm not concerned about the thickness at 14.3mm which is the same as my PRS12 1903 which is 38mm diameter, this thickness with 40mm diameter will work well. I would suggest white hands rather than polished as the only negative for me with the PRS12 is the mirrored hands, really difficult to read in certain lighting conditions especially low light.
    see post #137 :) the hands are white in the latest render from Eddies post #109
    Last edited by Chaz; 11th November 2020 at 17:47. Reason: added render post number from Eddie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    see post #137 :) the hands are white in the latest render from Eddies post #109
    Thanks for the research, I obviuosly didn't read every post, always been bone idle. Looks like a winner.

Any chance this could have a box crystal?

Master
    Eddie, is it possible to give an indication of what part of next year this may be released please?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Eddie, is it possible to give an indication of what part of next year this may be released please?
    The movements aren't due until May.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    The movements aren't due until May.

Eddie
    Ok thanks.

Craftsman
    Been meaning to ask if the dial will get the L mark, seems slightly non military without it?

Master
    Revision 4.

Eddie

Really love this one Eddie and a proper size as well. Absolutely can't wait till it's ready and only hope I can be in the queue.

However why go Smiths with this and not Precista which is more in line with this watch shape?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Really love this one Eddie and a proper size as well. Absolutely can't wait till it's ready and only hope I can be in the queue.

However why go Smiths with this and not Precista which is more in line with this watch shape?
    Seconded. I know that Smiths is very popular right now, but I do really like the Precista logo, and they have a chronograph heritage.

This is the one I'm watching. I turn 50 this year and would LOVE one of these. It's possibly the only thing I'm looking to in 2021.

Late to the party seeing this one. But as per all previous 4 pages comments looks like another winner from the timefactors stable.

Well I’ve already ordered a strap from The Ukraine for one of these so I had better be quick with my trigger finger on release day in a few months time! I think the OH would be impressed with this level of planning if it involved the long overdue home improvements!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    There were special "nuclear sub" Lemanias that were unlumed so as not to trip on-board the radiation monitors.
    I don't think that is quite true.
    All personnel on nuclear boats wore telltale detectors (they are a type of film that darkens on exposure), to see whether there has been a breach of containment.
    There is a blanket ban on all radioactive material other than in the reactor, in order to avoid false positive results turning up.
    It was not "tripping a montor" per se, but creating a positive film result that would necessitate a full search for the leak.

D

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post

Another late to the party here but loving this, however completely agree with the above.

Would also have far preferred acylic but can understand I would probably be in the minority there.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 28th January 2021 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Another late to the party here but loving this, however completely agree with the above.

Would also have far preferred acylic but can understand I would probably be in the minority there.
    I'm wondering about modding it . . . .

But then I do like the ruggedness of sapphire.

On the other hand, a black dial = milky ring.

So . . . ?

I'm wondering about modding it . . . .

But then I do like the ruggedness of sapphire.

On the other hand, a black dial = milky ring.

So . . . ?

(The white ring seen here is a retaining ring which can be easily seen in the video below.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4k4Bc43SE

The sapphire on the "Breguet Type XX Transatlantique" does not exhibit the milky ring. I wonder... is it a price issue? Is it possible that the retaining ring was put there to disguise the milkiness?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

(The white ring seen here is a retaining ring which can be easily seen in the video below.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4k4Bc43SE

The sapphire on the "Breguet Type XX Transatlantique" does not exhibit the milky ring. I wonder... is it a price issue? Is it possible that the retaining ring was put there to disguise the milkiness?
    As far as I can tell it’s the high domed effect that creates the milky ring. A more gentle dome isn’t an issue, but the sharp curvature at the edge creates an extra thickness at the edge which results an area that isn’t as transparent. Acrylic has the same shape, but it’s refractive properties mean if still appears transparent.

If any of that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The design shows a flat sapphire so hopefully no milky ring on the black dial.

It's my only planned purchase for 2021 and will go on a 20mm bonklip.

Flat sapphire won’t have any issue then

Apprentice

We are in the same boat mate.

Has there been any more discussions on having some sort of early/first access for forum members who're interested in this (or others for that matter)?

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    Has there been any more discussions on having some sort of early/first access for forum members who're interested in this (or others for that matter)?
    Yes the first batch will only be offered to members who own a Smiths Prs-29b.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    Special preference will be offered to people who have a record of spending large amounts of money on jewellery from TimeFactors

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Yes the first batch will only be offered to members who own a Smiths Prs-29b.;-)
    And relax.... ;)

Yep, lots of Time Factors Smiths and a few old 'uns: Mk X (1944), "Hillary" (1951), GS De Luxe (1956), Everest Automatic (1961), RAF 6B (1967), Quasar (1974) . . . among others.

Yep (...)
    Smashing collection sir!

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    Smashing collection sir!
    Thanks! There's only 11 of the Mk X known and less than 50 GS De Luxe. No Quasars escaped into the wild so the half a dozen or so that exist are all from Smiths itself.

The others are positively common, darling.

Yep, lots of Time Factors Smiths and a few old 'uns: Mk X (1944), "Hillary" (1951), GS De Luxe (1956), Everest Automatic (1961), RAF 6B (1967), Quasar (1974) . . . among others.

More Smiths than the phone book! Fantastic collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More Smiths than the phone book!
    Hahahaha thanks, I'll be nicking that!

The movements have been delivered.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The movements have been delivered.

Eddie
    Excitement is building for these!

Last edited by TheGent; 23rd March 2021 at 20:33.

Master
    Wife asked me the other day what I wanted for 60th birthday in May and this would fit the bill admirably.

Any ETA on these Eddie? And perhaps a price indication (ballpark)?

Craftsman
    Just looking at the specs on this one. Any idea how thick it will be?

looks like a 14mm-15mm thickness at a guess though I hope its slimmer.

Master
    The auto movement itself is 7.9mm and the watch would be 14.3mm with auto, 13.4mm with hand-wind.

Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Just looking at the specs on this one. Any idea how thick it will be?

looks like a 14mm-15mm thickness at a guess though I hope its slimmer.

Journeyman
    Cannot wait to see what this looks like in the flesh.

Master
    Looking forward to these.
    Are we still on for a May release Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Looking forward to these.
    Are we still on for a May release Eddie?
    I think it will be more like June now.

Regards,

Eddie