closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget car tyres recommendation

Master
    I’ve got Nexen N’Feras on my Hemi Jeep and they are a decent tyre (I’ve had plenty from the usual big brands too). The N’Fera is the OEM tyre for some models of the Porsche Macan and Cayenne so it won’t be a bobbins ditch finder.
    Last edited by benny.c; 5th October 2020 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Fair enough, if you have a car with decent performance and do a few miles.

I believe the OP was looking for budget tyres for his 2014 Astra, in which he does "very very low mileage, mainly around town"

Add : Budget doesn't necessarily mean "cheapest", certainly not to me - more VFM imho.

Add2: Your tyre test comment made me look (haven't looked a tyre test in years) and found this:

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm

No idea how good, bad or biased they are, just the first one that Google found. What was surprising was the dry braking test; check out the top 5.

#1 - Michelin Sport Pilot 4 (no surprises there, an excellent tyre in my experience, had them on my 335d and they were brilliant).
    #2 - Nokian Powerproof
    #3 - Continental Premium Conta
    #4 - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Had these on my 335d before the SP4s and they were good too)
    #5 - Nexen N Fera Sport

Other well known brands such as Bridgestone, Dunlop, Toyo and Uniroyal are well down the list.
    It’s a bit like what they say about crash helmets fifty quid lid fir a fifty quid head

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Fair enough, if you have a car with decent performance and do a few miles.

I believe the OP was looking for budget tyres for his 2014 Astra, in which he does "very very low mileage, mainly around town"

Add : Budget doesn't necessarily mean "cheapest", certainly not to me - more VFM imho.

Add2: Your tyre test comment made me look (haven't looked a tyre test in years) and found this:

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm

No idea how good, bad or biased they are, just the first one that Google found. What was surprising was the dry braking test; check out the top 5.

#1 - Michelin Sport Pilot 4 (no surprises there, an excellent tyre in my experience, had them on my 335d and they were brilliant).
    #2 - Nokian Powerproof
    #3 - Continental Premium Conta
    #4 - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Had these on my 335d before the SP4s and they were good too)
    #5 - Nexen N Fera Sport

Other well known brands such as Bridgestone, Dunlop, Toyo and Uniroyal are well down the list.
    Still might save a car length when braking and therefore save an accident; just buy a decent mid range tyre; and yes Nexen/Kumho/Toyo can be pretty reasonable. Budget tyres can be lethal; old Astra or not.

Master
    I've been happy with Toyo, Kumho, and Maxxis.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely delighted,everything went so smooth,good garage and service.

The new tyres are quiet,smooth and work well in the wet as I just found out.

It feels like a totally new car.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s a bit like what they say about crash helmets fifty quid lid fir a fifty quid head
    so make sure your £400 head is in a shoei or an arai.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    so make sure your £400 head is in a shoei or an arai.

wrong,first make sure your head is in a helmet that fits you.

What if that's a £50 aldi helmet?

I hope you picked up the sarcastic tone in my previous post.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Rubbish, they’re a great budget tyre.

This...

I have Nexen n'Fera SU1 tyres on my E Class and they've been great (and less than half the price of the OEM Continentals).
    I don't race about, but neither do I pootle... I believe the IAM call it 'making progress' and they've been completely predictable in all conditions (although I've not ventured out in snow).

Virtually every YouTube video I’ve seen regarding budget V premium tyres performance has been heavily biased by a manufacture. They also seem a little unrealistic as to why you would consider putting budget tyres on a C63 AMG is beyond me. Likewise the style of driving in all these videos can be described simply as driving like a twat. If you own a 50K-100K performance car stick on premiums if you own an older car with less performance then mid-range to budget is fine.

Blog Entries
    Virtually every YouTube video I’ve seen regarding budget V premium tyres performance has been heavily biased by a manufacture. They also seem a little unrealistic as to why you would consider putting budget tyres on a C63 AMG is beyond me. Likewise the style of driving in all these videos can be described simply as driving like a twat. If you own a 50K-100K performance car stick on premiums if you own an older car with less performance then mid-range to budget is fine.
    This really. People expect tyres to make up for their bad driving a lot of the time. I sold a lot of tyres in the late '70s early '80s from budget Victoria and Vredestein, textile Firestones from SA up to Michelin, Pirelli, you name it. I never heard any complaints about the grip or handling on the budget tyres. Mostly I suspect because the people buying them were driving family saloons and hatchbacks of the 1.3 or 1.6 persuasion and had little interest in caning the thingies off them. I agree that if people drive like idiots it doesn't matter what tyre they have on the car.

"Yeah it was raining and I wound it on out the corner and those Goodyear NCT's let go". Probably the fact it was a 10 year old Astra with knackered suspension being badly driven had some input!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

From a pure grip perspective, it all goes wrong when the temperature falls, they should do the comparison tests at five degrees in the wet, that would highlight the differences between tyres.

Craftsman
    If you own a 50K-100K performance car stick on premiums if you own an older car with less performance then mid-range to budget is fine.
    That's decent advice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    no amount of tyres will save you if you are driving like a moron or on the phone etc.

The set I just bought have made a massive improvement to my car as I said it feels like a different vehicle.

What did you buy?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    What did you buy?

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/comforse...710?id=sn38604