closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget car tyres recommendation

Master
    Blog Entries

Budget car tyres recommendation

I need 4 new tyres I do a very,very low mileage mainly around town.

the cars a Astra 2014, my local garages are ATS and Kwik fit.

I quite literally no nothing about car tyres so any recommendations?

Pre-worn from a reputable tyre place. Check them over, get four the same, and you should be fine.

(I use pre-worn winters on my Subaru)

I think you’ll find cheaper than ATS & Keillor
    Try and find an independent place with a good reputation even if it’s a 50 mile round trip.
    Just my 2d worth

Blog Entries
    I usually go the Blackcircles route - tyres for every budget and the price is fully fitted.

Just had all 4 tyres changed on the wife's Yaris a couple of weeks ago - couldn't be easier.

Choose tyres and fitting options, select (local) fitting station and book slot and pay online. On the day get your tyres fitted - easy peasy ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are feeling lazy just use protyre, cheap enough and fitters everywhere.

Sounds like they won’t be silly sizes for a boggo. Look for deals when buying a set of four etc.

Costco are great if you local one has a fitting bay.

For a extra 2p consider all season tyres.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Any budget tyre from these kind of outfits will be sound for the usage you are talking about. Buy budget new tyres every time over the used ones offered by sone outlets. Most of the used tyres come from places like Germany who remove them at 3mm or just over. If they've worn that much they could have done thousands of miles, and had any kind of damage unseen to the cursory inspection given to them by outlets. Second hand tyre dealers are the cowboys of the tyre trade. Your choice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Pre-worn from a reputable tyre place........
    Sorry but that's a contradiction, reputable tyre places don't sell pre-worn tyres.

Dave O’Sullivan your man however I’d recommend Nexon.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Dave O’Sullivan your man however I’d recommend Nexon.
    I believe you mean Nexen and that is real crap.

I always go Costco and have them fitted there. They usually have decent offers but I would never skimp on tyres -- not on the car or the motorbike. Don't have to go for the most expensive but definitely don't go for the cheapest they have either. Dave O'Sullivan is your man, soapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Rubbish, they’re a great budget tyre.

What size are you after?

If you want an easy fitted approach go Blackcircles.

If you’re happy ordering your own tyres and finding someone to fit them, go camskill and get them sent to your house.

If it’s a standard size eg 15”/16” the price differential between a budget and premium tyre is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Any budget tyre from these kind of outfits will be sound for the usage you are talking about. Buy budget new tyres every time over the used ones offered by sone outlets. Most of the used tyres come from places like Germany who remove them at 3mm or just over. If they've worn that much they could have done thousands of miles, and had any kind of damage unseen to the cursory inspection given to them by outlets. Second hand tyre dealers are the cowboys of the tyre trade. Your choice.
    This ^. You only know the history of a new tyre, and unless you're carrying very heavy loads habitually or driving like Stirling Moss, new budget tyres are absolutely fine.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The point is 99% of tyres sold will have the same Treadwear and Traction ratings. Most people who drive normally would never notice the difference. All the bunkum about "I had so and so make and skidded on them" is simply that. They would probably have skidded on Pzero's as well, simply because of the conditions or driving. Have a look at the tyres on your car and look at the 'treadwear, traction and temperature ratings'. Anyone got a traction rating that isn't A?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    This ^. You only know the history of a new tyre, and unless you're carrying very heavy loads habitually or driving like Stirling Moss, new budget tyres are absolutely fine.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Yup.

Blog Entries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Only had good experience with Nexen in the past when I decided to go for mid-range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I usually go the Blackcircles route - tyres for every budget and the price is fully fitted.

Just had all 4 tyres changed on the wife's Yaris a couple of weeks ago - couldn't be easier.

Choose tyres and fitting options, select (local) fitting station and book slot and pay online. On the day get your tyres fitted - easy peasy ;-)
    I have never heard of them so will take a look.

I wont get used,though I did when I was young and skint.

Recently used black circles, and liked the fact you could check the tyres performance for noise and wet weather performance etc...also the local garage who I used to fit were spot on as an authorised fitting centre.

Craftsman
    Not sure where you are based but I've fitted Roadstone tyres (made by Nexen) to a few motors. Fantastic value for money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The cheapest is £52 this one is all weather for £65

Blackcircles.com Quality Choice (All Season Tyre)
    225/50 R17 W (98)

would you recommend this one and who fits it?

I would always look at what Dundee taxi drivers were using .........

You will have a similar city/area that fits the bill.

Without knowing knowing exactly what tyres you’ve got on your car it’s hard to say, but picking 195/60R15 (a typical Astra-type size) Blackcircles gives around £50 a corner for budget (brand you’ve never heard of), £60 for a mid-range like Kumho or Toyo and £80 for a premium brand like Michelin or Continental. So, like most things in life, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally, I don’t like Bridgestones but that’s just me. I’d always go for a premium tyre - let’s face it, they’re one of the most safety-critical items on a car, but then I normally drive a powerful car and I have been known to get a wiggle on. A decent tyre makes a difference, no doubt about it.

Cheers,

Plug

The cheapest is £52 this one is all weather for £65

Blackcircles.com Quality Choice (All Season Tyre)
    225/50 R17 W (98)

would you recommend this one and who fits it?
    When you go through with the purchase, you’ll be able to pick a partner garage form a lost close to you.

Nobody can recommend the tyre you chose because no brand is shown. They’re picked at the behest of Black Circles and sent out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    When you go through with the purchase, you’ll be able to pick a partner garage form a lost close to you.

Nobody can recommend the tyre you chose because no brand is shown. They’re picked at the behest of Black Circles and sent out.

glad I asked now

got it,I thought it was their own brand.

then I think these maybe the answer

Taurus tyres
    Taurus Ultra High Performance
    225/50 R17 W (98)

£72.95Fully Fitted

Master
    Asda are usually pretty good https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Asda I had no idea looking now

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Only had good experience with Nexen in the past when I decided to go for mid-range.
    I have not the same experience with those.

I have probably scrapped at least 4 sets of my customers who were either oval or loud so I thought it was a wheel bearing that was broken.

So I have a bit of a hard time recommending these.

I agree.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post

easy to use lots of choice,I went by reviews and ratings now booked for Tuesday morning.

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/comforse...710?id=sn38604

thank you for all the advice everyone.

Blog Entries
    If you’re a low mileage town user - the only metric that’s relevant is braking performance. IMHO.
    Noise, economy, longevity etc. mean little for a town car.
    Check the reviews & buy the one with the best stopping performance - even part worn.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    If you’re a low mileage town user - the only metric that’s relevant is braking performance. IMHO.
    Noise, economy, longevity etc. mean little for a town car.
    Check the reviews & buy the one with the best stopping performance - even part worn.

z
    it has a B for wet weather and was quiet with 3 to 5 star reviews.

Blog Entries
    it has a B for wet weather and was quiet with 3 to 5 star reviews.
    Result !

z

I used to be a tyre snob, but I go for budget and the lowest db figure from the options these days.
    Cheers..
    Jase

My tyres have so much grip I'm having to up the car's power just to make life interesting. Maybe I should also fit a set of budget tyres on the back.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I went to Costco and got a set of Michelin’s for the price of a midrange Set

If you use Kwik Fit, often cheaper to buy online and have fitted at your local branch. As cheap as anywhere (Black Circles etc.) for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see you're sorted but I'll add my 2p incase someone else looks back on this thread.

I've used Nexen, (under different names) for years and have always rated them. I'm surprised to hear of your problems Jocke - were they all the same size / pattern? They are creeping up price wise of late so Roadstone are a good alternative. These are normally the previous generation Nexens but sometimes they are exactlyly the same pattern! If you insist on going to Kwikfit, then Arrowspeed are their own version.

Coming down in price, I find Zeta, Excellon and Event all good for the money. Radar are also pretty good but their runflats are HEAVY!

Partworn wise, I'd avoid personally. Ive heard / seen too many horror stories over the years. Same with remoulds, although you hardly ever see them these days.

It's also worth mentioning that there can be good and bad within brands so it isn't just the name on the side that needs to be thought about, but also the pattern. For example a newly launched pattern in a budget tyre, Event for example, might be a better bet than an older design from a midrange manufacturer like Nexen.

One more point is to think about who will be fitting your tyres. I'm clearly bias as I own a tyre shop but as a rule, you will get far better service from a smaller independant than one of the big boys. I'm not swayed by head office orders to favour a particular brand or clouded by daily targets. I'm obviously in it for the money but I'd rather see you a happy, returning customer than a quick cash cow to bolster my bonus. Any decent independant will be the same. They will likely be a couple of quid more than the internet big boys but you get what you pay for sometimes - I've been approached by Black circles a couple of times to be a fitting centre for them. The truth is, they pay peanuts for fitting so it really isn't worth my time to do it. And looking at the list of local fitters near me, it is pretty much every dodgy, untrustworthy place I know. All my 'decent' competition aren't listed. Something to think about there!

Anyway, all the above is just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Master
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the input, I am going to a small local independent I think ive been there years ago so hopefully OK.

Craftsman
    Just be careful not to go too budget. I once made the mistake of replacing 4 legal limit Bridgestones on a family focus c-max with budget ‘Talon Triangles’ after the local tyre guys recommendation. The new tyres were like driving on ice even in the height of summer. They were borderline dangerous on a commuter/town car. Stopping distance was horrendous and forget about roundabouts.

Regretted that decision so much I replaced them with mid range Toyo tyres a month later.

Lesson learned :-(

Master
    A company I worked for fitted Triangle tyres to our vans, fronts wore out in circa 2k miles, I did see a tyre test where the reporter stated he would fit them to wheelbarrow.

Craftsman
    I see this a lot. Four bits of rubber the size of the palm of your hand that are responsible for keeping you alive and people want to choose the cheapest (but use the word "budget"). I would never economise on tyres using the adage "you get what you pay for" but there are some names giving the big boys a run for their money like Falken (now fitted to some VWs) and Hankook (Ford) that I wouldn't have considered in the past but now would.

Use one of the comparison sites (Blackcircles etc) and see what comes up for your car.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Hankook (Ford) that I wouldn't have considered in the past but now would.
    My local independent tyre place recommended them for my Honda Type S. I've been well pleased with their grip and low wear rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I see you're sorted but I'll add my 2p incase someone else looks back on this thread.

I've used Nexen, (under different names) for years and have always rated them. I'm surprised to hear of your problems Jocke - were they all the same size / pattern? They are creeping up price wise of late so Roadstone are a good alternative. These are normally the previous generation Nexens but sometimes they are exactlyly the same pattern! If you insist on going to Kwikfit, then Arrowspeed are their own version.

Coming down in price, I find Zeta, Excellon and Event all good for the money. Radar are also pretty good but their runflats are HEAVY!

Partworn wise, I'd avoid personally. Ive heard / seen too many horror stories over the years. Same with remoulds, although you hardly ever see them these days.

It's also worth mentioning that there can be good and bad within brands so it isn't just the name on the side that needs to be thought about, but also the pattern. For example a newly launched pattern in a budget tyre, Event for example, might be a better bet than an older design from a midrange manufacturer like Nexen.

One more point is to think about who will be fitting your tyres. I'm clearly bias as I own a tyre shop but as a rule, you will get far better service from a smaller independant than one of the big boys. I'm not swayed by head office orders to favour a particular brand or clouded by daily targets. I'm obviously in it for the money but I'd rather see you a happy, returning customer than a quick cash cow to bolster my bonus. Any decent independant will be the same. They will likely be a couple of quid more than the internet big boys but you get what you pay for sometimes - I've been approached by Black circles a couple of times to be a fitting centre for them. The truth is, they pay peanuts for fitting so it really isn't worth my time to do it. And looking at the list of local fitters near me, it is pretty much every dodgy, untrustworthy place I know. All my 'decent' competition aren't listed. Something to think about there!

Anyway, all the above is just my opinion. Hope it helps.
    The only I can think about is maybe they are not for Nordic climate?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I see this a lot. Four bits of rubber the size of the palm of your hand that are responsible for keeping you alive and people want to choose the cheapest (but use the word "budget"). I would never economise on tyres using the adage "you get what you pay for" but there are some names giving the big boys a run for their money like Falken (now fitted to some VWs) and Hankook (Ford) that I wouldn't have considered in the past but now would.

Use one of the comparison sites (Blackcircles etc) and see what comes up for your car.
    Hankook are a big player now - OEM fitment on many BMWs, Minis, Audis and Mercedes just to name a few marques.

Master
    Hankook are a big player now - OEM fitment on many BMWs, Minis, Audis and Mercedes just to name a few marques.
    I was surprised when my mate got his new a3 and it had hankooks on Audi always seemed to come with continentals in the old days

Master
    Blog Entries
    And Nexen are now in that bracket - OEM on a few Korean models.

Have you ever seen a tyre test and seen the difference in braking performance between budget and premium? For the reason alone of safety of myself, my family and other road users, not to mention inconvenience and cost if an accident, for me it’s a no brainier and a small price to pay, summer tyres Michelin Pilot Supersports and Winters Bridgestone Blizzaks. Worth every penny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Have you ever seen a tyre test and seen the difference in braking performance between budget and premium? For the reason alone of safety of myself, my family and other road users, not to mention inconvenience and cost if an accident, for me it’s a no brainier and a small price to pay, summer tyres Michelin Pilot Supersports and Winters Bridgestone Blizzaks. Worth every penny.
    Fair enough, if you have a car with decent performance and do a few miles.

I believe the OP was looking for budget tyres for his 2014 Astra, in which he does "very very low mileage, mainly around town"

Add : Budget doesn't necessarily mean "cheapest", certainly not to me - more VFM imho.

Add2: Your tyre test comment made me look (haven't looked a tyre test in years) and found this:

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm

No idea how good, bad or biased they are, just the first one that Google found. What was surprising was the dry braking test; check out the top 5.

#1 - Michelin Sport Pilot 4 (no surprises there, an excellent tyre in my experience, had them on my 335d and they were brilliant).
    #2 - Nokian Powerproof
    #3 - Continental Premium Conta
    #4 - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Had these on my 335d before the SP4s and they were good too)
    #5 - Nexen N Fera Sport

Other well known brands such as Bridgestone, Dunlop, Toyo and Uniroyal are well down the list.
    Last edited by vagabond; 5th October 2020 at 21:43.