closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tv pondering.... help/advice

Tv pondering.... help/advice

So.....

Thoughts turn towards Amazon prime days and the overdone Black Friday will be here soon enough

I currently try have a lovely 55” Sony TV but it’s not android so I can’t add apps to it - though can do I guess via stick/cube device

However, looking at getting a new one and putting the existing upstairs

SO..... 55inch or above that’s android able ?
    Not interested in all the bells and whistles really - just the above.

Friend of mine looking fir same but lower end/price and happy to look at other brands.

Any real live time prices and/or experiences?

I run off a sky tv box not Q as don’t like the set up -I have an older Apple TV device which allows me now tv when I want it
    Happy to consider a “device” to add to solve things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I swear by LG tv's WebOS kicks Android into touch as a tv interface (i have both) and I've not yet found an app I want to put on my TV that wasn't available. I'd certainly look hard at the screen technology before the OS though, if you don;t have the TV in bright sunlight then just get a 4k OLED panel the picture is light years ahead of anything LCD based. If you do have a bright viewing room then LCD will be better, I hear good things about Samsungs Q-LED but LG's Nanocell is better in some respects.
    All in all get the best panel you can and then if you want android add an nvidia shield tv (it's what I did)

There is a well known and widespread problem with Samsung TVs having very dark pictures on Netflix, so probably avoid Samsung.

Craftsman
    I got a Sony android about 12 months ago

Went for 50" just LED 9005 model - which has been excellent so far

I would recommend a look at richer sounds
    6 year guarantee
    Also when i bought mine there was an offer of free blu-ray player or soundbar - you can flog it off and it's a discount :-)

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I swear by LG tv's WebOS kicks Android into touch as a tv interface (i have both) and I've not yet found an app I want to put on my TV that wasn't available. I'd certainly look hard at the screen technology before the OS though, if you don;t have the TV in bright sunlight then just get a 4k OLED panel the picture is light years ahead of anything LCD based. If you do have a bright viewing room then LCD will be better, I hear good things about Samsungs Q-LED but LG's Nanocell is better in some respects.
    All in all get the best panel you can and then if you want android add an nvidia shield tv (it's what I did)
    Be wary of OLED. Yes, the picture is stunning, leagues ahead of the nearest rival. Sadly it doesn't last.

I have a four year old LG. I has horrible screen burn from using our Sky+. Sky+'s bright yellow menu bars have left dark stripes etched into the display. It's very visible when displaying reds.
    When I realised what was doing it, I first tried to wean my wife off Sky. That was an exercise in futility! I turned down the brightness and contrast, to save the display. I've not told her about that, or it would go back up. I had to do it gradually over a few days. :)
    In the end I had to stump up for the upgrade to Sky Q, just to get rid of the yellow menu bars. But the damage is done & it's permanent. Not acceptable on a £2000 telly.

My parents bought a newer OLED, as reports say the burn in issues less relevant to the newer models. When it arrived Dad was really disappointed with the lacklustre image. And then we changed the factory settings, upping the brightness and contrast (and therefore increasing screen burn & decreasing the longevity.)

If you intend watching anything with a static image, eg. channel logo or if you intend gaming, I'd advise you to avoid OLED like the plague. Stay at home, do not visit the shop & keep your credit card at least 20m socially distant from an OLED tv.

On the other hand, if you're willing to accept the risk, or you expect to change your TV every five years or so, go for it.

Oh, one more thing... LG don't support their flagship TVs once they are no longer in production. Ours isn't getting updates, despite the web browser being no longer supported on many sites including youtube.

Master
    I’ve got a Samsung the frame it’s QLED whatever that means, but it’s an awesome television

It’s 65” and when switched off displays art which is bonza

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Be wary of OLED. Yes, the picture is stunning, leagues ahead of the nearest rival. Sadly it doesn't last.

I have a four year old LG. I has horrible screen burn from using our Sky+.

Spooky timing. I must be colour blind but it's been pointed out that my 3yo LG OLED has a green patch in the middle. Searched on Google and it's a common fault. Deciding whether it's worth trying to argue the toss as it supposedly has a 5 year warranty but presumably with lots of small print.
    Last edited by David_D; 5th October 2020 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’ve got a Samsung the frame it’s QLED whatever that means, but it’s an awesome television

It’s 65” and when switched off displays art which is bonza
    "Quantum LED"
    It really isn't a LED TV it's marketing. Its an LCD.

LED = Light emitting Diode.
    LCD = Liquid crystal Display.

LCDs can be transreflective like a watch, or a calculator, or backlit. TV LCD panels are backlit. The LCD then filters the backlight, allowing only the colours you want to see through.
    The problem is that the filter isn't perfect. Some unwanted colour always get's through. Blacks are especially noticeable. With the LCD filtering as much of red green and blue as it can, some unwanted backlight still shows and the blacks aren't black.

So rather than have a single backlight for the entire panel, the better LCD TVs use multiple backlights. Then for a dark section of the image they can turn down the backlight as well as filtering with the LCD panel. The problem is that if you have a light section of image and a dark section sharing the same backlight, then the imperfect LCD filter over the dark section bleeds light, giving a halo around the light section of image.

Samsung use lots of small backlights to give better results, they market this as Quantum LED. But the TV is still a LCD TV with a LED backlight, in common with every other LCD TV. It's just marketing spin to make their telly sound more impressive.

A Q-LED TV is an LCD TV. Samsung are not the only manufacturer using multiple small backlights.

Back on subject an OLED TV has multiple discrete organic LEDs per pixel. These different colour LEDs are combined to produce whatever colour or luminosity is required.
    Unlike an LCD no unwanted light filters through from the back. The pixels aren't filtering light from behind, they are emitting exactly what's wanted and only what's wanted.
    Black portions of an image are truly black. There is no light bleed from light areas to adjacent dark areas and the colours produced are richer and more accurate.

Its a shame the darned things don't last, 'cus they look gorgeous!
    Last edited by mikeveal; 5th October 2020 at 15:12. Reason: Got mixed up between Samsung and Sony!

Master
    "Quantum LED"
    It really isn't a LED TV it's marketing. Its an LCD.

LED = Light emitting Diode.
    LCD = Liquid crystal Display.

LCDs can be transreflective like a watch, or a calculator, or backlit. TV LCD panels are backlit. The LCD then filters the backlight, allowing only the colours you want to see through.
    The problem is that the filter isn't perfect. Some unwanted colour always get's through. Blacks are especially noticeable. With the LCD filtering as much of red green and blue as it can, some unwanted backlight still shows and the blacks aren't black.

So rather than have a single backlight for the entire panel, the better LCD TVs use multiple backlights. Then for a dark section of the image they can turn down the backlight as well as filtering with the LCD panel. The problem is that if you have a light section of image and a dark section sharing the same backlight, then the imperfect LCD filter over the dark section bleeds light, giving a halo around the light section of image.

Samsung use lots of small backlights to give better results, they market this as Quantum LED. But the TV is still a LCD TV with a LED backlight, in common with every other LCD TV. It's just marketing spin to make their telly sound more impressive.

A Q-LED TV is an LCD TV. Samsung are not the only manufacturer using multiple small backlights.

Back on subject an OLED TV has multiple discrete organic LEDs per pixel. These different colour LEDs are combined to produce whatever colour or luminosity is required.
    Unlike an LCD no unwanted light filters through from the back. The pixels aren't filtering light from behind, they are emitting exactly what's wanted and only what's wanted.
    Black portions of an image are truly black. There is no light bleed from light areas to adjacent dark areas and the colours produced are richer and more accurate.

Its a shame the darned things don't last, 'cus they look gorgeous!
    Thanks for the explanation 👍🏻, not sure I’m any wiser though haha

Master
    Oleds are like lots of coloured torches that make up the pixels.
    LCD/Nano/Quantum are all like a building with all the lights on and coloured curtains. trouble is even when all the curtains are drawn some light gets through meaning contrast can be compromised.

Modern Oleds have screen savers that detect a stationary image and prevent it by either blanking the screen (in the case of a paused image) or shifting the image slightly so different pixels are used.
    I'm sure it's still possible to knacker the panel though.
    My previous LCD LG is passing 6 years in age and although the magic remote thing is kaput it is still used daily attached to a playstation. The 'big telly' is only a year old now so I can't really comment on longevity, 5 year warranty from Ritcher sounds though so not really a bother.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The 'big telly' is only a year old now so I can't really comment on longevity, 5 year warranty from Ritcher sounds though so not really a bother.
    I’d probably trust RS more than most but I’d be interested to read the small print.

Said below (or above if you sort that way!) that my LG has developed a green tinge on part of the screen which a quick Google suggests is not uncommon.
    Last edited by David_D; 5th October 2020 at 20:43.

Blog Entries
    Quality of what you see is very much dependable on the signal the TV receives. E.g.: I watch Discovery using their D-play app on my phone + Apple TV. Cumbersome? Yes perhaps! But the difference is significant compared with the 'normal' signal.

(We have an LG 46xxxxx)

Menno

I have a 12 month old LG OLED. I’d read about the screen burn issues but previously I’d had a Panasonic plasma for 14 years, which was also supposed to suffer screen burn (however no issues on mine). Based on my Panasonic experience I figured I’d be ok with the OLED, but reading your experiences I’m now a bit worried about how it will look in a couple of years.

Craftsman
    What apps do you want to run off your TV ? If it's Netflix, BT Sport or similar a Chrome cast should work from your phone assuming it's android.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I have a 12 month old LG OLED. I’d read about the screen burn issues but previously I’d had a Panasonic plasma for 14 years, which was also supposed to suffer screen burn (however no issues on mine). Based on my Panasonic experience I figured I’d be ok with the OLED, but reading your experiences I’m now a bit worried about how it will look in a couple of years.

My next TV will be OLED, the quality is worth it.
    The new ones go into screensaver mode when they sense a paused image and can perform screenwash and pixel shift to avoid certain parts of the screen showing the same thing for too long.
    As long as you don't have the settings set to 'stupid vivid' or leave it on a channel with fixed screen points like the colour banners in rolling news they will be fine.

If you were OK with a Panasonic plasma (which were superb)you will be fine. The Panasonic OLEDs that are out right now are fantastic.