closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Medical advice

Craftsman

Medical advice

I was hoping if any medical people on here can give me a simple answer ,I have tried Google and can't get a clear answer .My friend closely monitors his health ,he uses a pulse oximeter and peak flow meter ,I tried them out over the last few days ,my blood oxygen level and pulse are totally fine ,however using the peak flow meter my breath level was well below the norm for my size and age ,Iam just over 6 feet and 50 years old and should according to chart be reaching around 650 -700 Iam averaging around 400 ,I have no diagnosis of asthma but are not very fit and a couple of stone overweight ,should I be worried about my meter readings and what should I do about it ,particularly during these times ,

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm no doctor but am subject to peak flow measurement as part of my job annually. Unless you suffer from asthmatic symptoms, I wouldn't worry. Peak flow follows a bell distribution for the population. You might just have lower peak flow than average. Sounds like you know what you need to do about fitness and weight anyway.

Blog Entries
    Go and see a doctor. I’m not joking. You may have mild COPD.
    Or you may not but if you see a doctor you will know.
    A watch forum isn’t the place to find out.

To an extent peak flow can be a skill. I do one as part of an annual medical (often having more than one go) and it's definitely possible to improve your 'score'.

I'd echo the advice above not to seek medical advice on a watch forum but not necessarily the advice to see a doctor based on a these readings. If you're overweight and unfit (and not alone there), sort those out and then, if you have any real-world symptoms of breathlessness, go and see a doctor.

Do you smoke.? If so that can reduce you're lung capacity but if you don't then at least for you're own piece of mind speak to you're doctor.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The big problem is my doctor won't see any patients at this time just diagnosis over the phone and I don't want to bother the ER unless it is serious ,Iam not breathless just walking around doing everyday stuff but get a bit out of breath walking uphill or at a brisk pace for a distance

In that case walk uphill every day to give yourself a bit of a cardio. Within a week you’ll walk faster or more easily, and you will really feel the improvement.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I've been asthmatic for nearly 35 yrs now. I use both types of inhalers (when I remember!). I've always been useless at peak flow measurements so I don't let it bother me.
    I'm the same age and height but maybe in marginally better shape than you describe. But I've always run, at a half decent level in my youth and now I've got a bit back into it I reckon I could knock out a park run in 20 mins or so.
    My point is that peak flow isn't the be all and end all and you can be half way fit and not do this well. However your general health is key so a phone consultation with your GP would do for now but better aerobic health will help so try and find time to get out and exercise and perhaps something like couch to 5k would be worth looking at.

Blog Entries
    Lots of advice. None from doctors. Go and see one or have a phone appointment.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Lots of advice. None from doctors. Go and see one or have a phone appointment.
    Agreed. Better still, also do some more exercise and lose those couple of stone.

Pete

Get it checked by a doctor !

My best friend's wife, aged fifty. was diagnosed with asthma by her doctor completely out of the blue after her annual review for something unrelated to her lungs. She was quite surprised and like many of us was given inhalers to take.

Out walking with her dog a fortnight later in the field behind her house and having forgot to take her inhaler with her, she had her first actual asthma attack and died right there in the field !

You won't get an answer here, get it checked by a doctor just in case....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Get it checked by a doctor !

My best friend's wife, aged fifty. was diagnosed with asthma by her doctor completely out of the blue after her annual review for something unrelated to her lungs. She was quite surprised and like many of us was given inhalers to take.

Out walking with her dog a fortnight later in the field behind her house and having forgot to take her inhaler with her, she had her first actual asthma attack and died right there in the field !

You won't get an answer here, get it checked by a doctor just in case....
    Sorry to hear about this, but out of curiosity what did the post mortem confirm as the cause of death? Because this sounds more like a pulmonary embolism than asthma... Or massive allergy, or something else... but not asthma...

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, but out of curiosity what did the post mortem confirm as the cause of death? Because this sounds more like a pulmonary embolism than asthma... Or massive allergy, or something else... but not asthma...
    I believe from what my friend said that it was said that the cause was a heart attack brought on by the severe asthma attack. It's not the first I've heard of either, another friend had an asthmatic nineteen year old son that had a bad attack whilst on a river bank fishing and also died while his friends were trying to help him before an ambulance arrived.

I've only had to be hospitalised once for my asthma and in fact it was the time that I was initially diagnosed with the condition and that was while I was in the garden doing some gardening and suddenly was having severe breathing difficulties that I'd not had before. I really couldn't breathe and if it wasn't for a fast response from an ambulance team with oxygen and a nebuliser, I really believe I could have gone the same way. I now rely on daily inhalers like many others with the condition and I ensure I never leave the house without one. ....

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    I was hoping if any medical people on here can give me a simple answer ,I have tried Google and can't get a clear answer .My friend closely monitors his health ,he uses a pulse oximeter and peak flow meter ,I tried them out over the last few days ,my blood oxygen level and pulse are totally fine ,however using the peak flow meter my breath level was well below the norm for my size and age ,Iam just over 6 feet and 50 years old and should according to chart be reaching around 650 -700 Iam averaging around 400 ,I have no diagnosis of asthma but are not very fit and a couple of stone overweight ,should I be worried about my meter readings and what should I do about it ,particularly during these times ,

If you want to lose the 2 stones excess weight please consider reading this book ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-Myth-R...ag=googhydr-21

... Tim Spector's credentials https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/professor-tim-spector

BW

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 4th October 2020 at 12:58.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice everyone ,some stuff to think about

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Thanks for all the advice everyone ,some stuff to think about

Mate do yourself a favour. Book an appointment to see your Doctor.

1. If you are worried about your health, ask for an appointment.
    2. Why did you measure your peak flow?
    3. The 10th Law of the House of God is " If you don't take a temperature, you can't find a fever." - message: stop looking and you won't find trouble.
    4. Sampling, or semi-random measurements of health data is called Screening, and it is amazing when done right, but a nightmare when done wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screening_(medicine).
    5. Lose some weight if your BMI is above 25.0
    6. Wear sunscreen, seriously listen to the lyrics of that song, it is prophetic. https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/baz...wear-sunscreen
    9. seriously, it's a brilliant lyric, its spooky... "Don't waste your time on jealousy / Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind / The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself "

Dr. William (NHS Carpenter, but weary/wise after 22 yrs in healthcare)

and if you're interested in the other 12 Laws of the House of God, I'll gladly explain, they are both frightening and hilarious
    Last edited by The Doc; 4th October 2020 at 16:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Dr. William (NHS Carpenter, but weary/wise after 22 yrs in healthcare)
    What’s pink, 8” long, really hard and scares an orthopaedic surgeon?

An ECG

😂🤣

He’s not a proper doctor (being a carpenter and all), but he’s not far wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What’s pink, 8” long, really hard and scares an orthopaedic surgeon?

An ECG

藍

He’s not a proper doctor (being a carpenter and all), but he’s not far wrong
    Thanks.

THe Grand Round is making its slow way through the hospital. Two Medical Professors, the Head of Anaesthesia, multiple registrars and SHOs, a few secretaries etc etc.
    They all crowd into a lift and as the doors are closing a straggling Medical Student turns the corner and bleats "hold the lift please"
    As doors close, the Orthopaedic Surgeon leans forward and allows the doors to shut on his head and open again. The Med student gets in and the lift sets off.
    The Professor of Endocrinology turns to the Orthopaedic Surgeon and says "Very gallant Mr Smith, but why didn't you use your hands?"

"My hands? But I need them for my work. "