closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Swap

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 46.15%
  • No

    20 30.77%
  • Don't care

    15 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64

Thread: Why does this itch never stop...

  1. #1
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19

    Why does this itch never stop...

    I can't get this watch out of my mind (picture from web)



    but would most likely sell this one as I can't see having too many gold Rolex:



    Obviously would need to fill the gap with a significant wad of cash too (but having sold the AP that is not an issue). I do have the 126655 in a holding pattern but obviously the dealer won't hold for ever.

    Struggling here guys! What would you do?

    For a bit of fun - maybe complete the Poll as above :-)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd October 2020 at 20:27.

  2. #2
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,073
    I remember seeing one of these when they first came out in a jewelers window in Malta. It was a double wow moment.

    1st wow for how it looked. 2nd wow for how much it cost!

  3. #3
    Craftsman PawG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    705
    The GMT looks much better to me, probably the best colour combination. YM is a bit of a marmite, I guess.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    I really like the RG YM40 on Oysterflex and I'm not a big fan of the CHNR so I would sell one to fund the other. You've been through quite a few watches recently so I would be scared you don't bond and take a bath selling the YM.

  5. #5
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    3,321
    I had the 116655 and whilst itís absolutely stunning and I want another one I sold it pretty quick as I felt that despite the stealthy rubber the rose gold just felt too bling. Now, part of that might be my pasty colouring but it always felt a little ostentatious (not a criticism, I still want another) and visible for me. YMMV as it is a stunner.

  6. #6
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I really like the RG YM40 on Oysterflex and I'm not a big fan of the CHNR so I would sell one to fund the other. You've been through quite a few watches recently so I would be scared you don't bond and take a bath selling the YM.
    I just checked - this year I've bought / sold the AP ROO and sold the Omega Deep Black since lock down - low turn over compared to some. But still I know what you mean.

    My plan is to reduce to some higher value watches eventually - maybe sell 2 / 3 mid range (Breitling / Zenith etc) for the YM40 rather than the CHNR would be another option..

  7. #7
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    YMMV as it is a stunner.
    YMMV?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd October 2020 at 20:58.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728

    Why does this itch never stop...

    I was interested in the Rose-gold Yachtmaster when they first came our, several years ago. But I didn’t buy because, for me, they seemed a bit ˜bling’. It was only when the 42mm white gold version arrived last year that I was properly tempted. Rolex got the design spot-on with this version.
    In fact, for my taste, it;s the best looking watch Rolex currently make. Although I suspect rose gold will sell better.
    It’s the only mechanical watch I own, so hopefully I’ve cured of the itch for change. We live in hope....
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd October 2020 at 21:01.

  9. #9
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    26,834
    YOLO

  10. #10
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I was interested in the Rose-gold Yachtmaster when they first came our, several years ago. But I didnít buy because, for me, they seemed a bit ėblingí. It was only when the 42mm white gold version arrived last year that I was properly tempted. Rolex got the design spot-on with this version.
    In fact, for my taste, it;s the best looking watch Rolex currently make. Although I suspect rose gold will sell better.
    I am intrigued - is it really 42mm diameter? Could I ask a favour - could you measure the diameter and width lug to lug across the watch face? I am curious if the size is marketing or real sizing - aka the new models.

  11. #11
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,688
    Both RG and WG easily available - both have been in the window of Mappin and Webb in Kingston recently.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    3,946
    My brother has this watch and the full golf CHNR and itís the latter that gets most wear, though he says they are both great watches.

    Martyn I would watch the Watchfinder video on YouTube of the Omega Seamaster Titanium v Rolex Yachtmaster. As youíve owned the Omega it will give you some food for thought I would think, even thought itís white instead of rose.
    Last edited by Devonian; 3rd October 2020 at 21:22.

  13. #13
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,812
    6 weeks ago you had a similar thread about a PP - where you concluded you would slow down and enjoy what you have. Consider what's changed since then and why.

  14. #14
    Canít answer this one Iím afraid
    But I havenít a clue why you sold the AP in favour of either
    Sorry aní all that!

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,728
    In terms of size the 42mm seems very slightly larger than the 40mm, but it certainly doesn’t seem a particularly big watch. It’s always personal, but the slight difference feels marginal to me. I prefer the larger size.
    A key factor is the fit of the Oysterflex. Because of the internal bellows, the strap tends to bulge out slightly on the wrist. It’s very comfortable, but not easy to get looking sleek . On the other hand, it is effective in stopping the heavy gold watch sliding around the wrist.
    Nothing is perfect....so I suppose we have to settle at some point, or drive ourselves nuts.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd October 2020 at 21:23.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Canít answer this one Iím afraid
    But I havenít a clue why you sold the AP in favour of either
    Sorry aní all that!
    This. If I didnít already have one I would be trading either one of the these, plus a testicle, for the AP. Itís in a different league.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,324
    I have the same issue as you. The itch never stops...I am hoping to cure it one day, but for now I feel your pain.

    It is a personal choice I guess. I had the CHNR for a short while and did not bond with that brown colour. Having said that, in your pics it looks good on that bracelet vs. the yachtmaster on oysterflex. Not sure I would want to make that switch with I am guessing a good chunk of cash leaving your bank account in the process. Good luck with making the decision.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    4,602
    Seems odd that they still have the 40mm RG, whilst they have released the 42mm WG. I would have thought that they will discontinue the smaller size and release a 42mm in RG, which I would prefer - probably the main reason why I havenít tried one myself

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,006
    Both superb watches
    I prefer the white gold version for looks but at 42mm would maybe wear too big for me.
    If you have the itch resistance is futile
    Get it done.

  20. #20
    Craftsman DigitalSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    314
    Ah Martyn the story never ends - the Root Beer (GMT is pretty nice actually saw it someone yesterday)

    The Yachtmaster is definitely sportier with the rubber bracelet.

    Iíd vote YM!



    S

  21. #21
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Canít answer this one Iím afraid
    But I havenít a clue why you sold the AP in favour of either
    Sorry aní all that!
    The ROO was just at the limit of comfort for me - so had to go to a good home on TZ. I have seen a pattern, that I tend to sell anything above 42mm - must make mental note!!

  22. #22
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    YMMV?
    your mileage may vary. Iím so street

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My plan is to reduce to some higher value watches eventually - maybe sell 2 / 3 mid range (Breitling / Zenith etc) for the YM40 rather than the CHNR would be another option..
    Don't blame you for wanting less watches but of a higher value. I wouldn't mind consolidating two or three for one higher value watch at some point but I'm a way off from that yet.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 4th October 2020 at 00:39.

  24. #24
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Both RG and WG easily available - both have been in the window of Mappin and Webb in Kingston recently.
    Noted - I do have a deposit on a RG version @ Bond St WoS - just need to fill the gap..

  25. #25
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    407
    I love the look of that GMT. The YM looks nice but I canít seem to get my head around that sort of money for a non PM bracelet. Whatever you choose youíre going to have a nice watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I am intrigued - is it really 42mm diameter? Could I ask a favour - could you measure the diameter and width lug to lug across the watch face? I am curious if the size is marketing or real sizing - aka the new models.
    I have mine at home at the moment if you need any measurements. I also have my snazzy new vernier thingy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    The Rosie has long been my favourite looking modern Rolex.

    Do it!

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    South Bucks, UK
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I was interested in the Rose-gold Yachtmaster when they first came our, several years ago. But I didn‚Äôt buy because, for me, they seemed a bit ňúbling‚Äô. It was only when the 42mm white gold version arrived last year that I was properly tempted. Rolex got the design spot-on with this version.
    In fact, for my taste, it;s the best looking watch Rolex currently make. Although I suspect rose gold will sell better.
    It’s the only mechanical watch I own, so hopefully I’ve cured of the itch for change. We live in hope....
    Agree, this would be my one watch. Tried it on recently and ticked every box.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I have mine at home at the moment if you need any measurements. I also have my snazzy new vernier thingy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes please - as above. ta

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,447
    The finances are up to you. But based on the pictures alone, yes definitely.

  31. #31
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    kildare
    Posts
    65
    I would love the gmt either in steel and gold or root beer.
    Anyone know what type of money those are making

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684

    Why does this itch never stop...

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    yes please - as above. ta






    And a comparison


    ( apologies donít have the bi-metal GMT)









    And an Explorer 2 for another perspective.


  33. #33
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,812
    Interesting that the YM is 2.5m wider than the GMT given the spec is 2mm and they look to have the same crown (the 0.5mm variance also looks to apply with the YM and ExpII). Also looks like the ExpII crown is 1.2mm shorter than those of the GMT (and YM).

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684

    Why does this itch never stop...

    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Interesting that the YM is 2.5m wider than the GMT given the spec is 2mm and they look to have the same crown (the 0.5mm variance also looks to apply with the YM and ExpII). Also looks like the ExpII crown is 1.2mm shorter than those of the GMT (and YM).
    The YM has great proportions, but it does make the Daytonaís look small.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 4th October 2020 at 12:59.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,957
    Not had the CHNR But itís on my wanted list, however I had the yacht master and absoloutely loved it completely understated which I actually really liked for a watch of that value and I miss it terribly




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

    pics...
    Many thanks! could you do measures 90deg to that? So from lug - lug (across the watch face, not between) - I have heard it is approx 50mm on the WG YM? Just wondering if you can confirm?

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Many thanks! could you do measures 90deg to that? So from lug - lug (across the watch face, not between) - I have heard it is approx 50mm on the WG YM? Just wondering if you can confirm?



  38. #38
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post


    Perfect! Many thanks.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,767
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

    Struggling here guys! What would you do?
    Stay away from Watch Talk, Sales Corner and manufacturer websites, at least until you have had your most recent watch for 12 months.

    The cycle is unending but can be broken.

  40. #40
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Stay away from Watch Talk, Sales Corner and manufacturer websites, at least until you have had your most recent watch for 12 months.

    The cycle is unending but can be broken.
    You are joking right??

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684

    Why does this itch never stop...

    Deleted
    Last edited by joe narvey; 4th October 2020 at 13:56.

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,767
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You are joking right??
    Nope, have done similar in the past and happy with a 2000s Omega as my decent watch. Look at your purchasing history, there is no such thing as a Perfect Watch, there is always something new. A member called Jussi went through a similar pattern years ago.

  43. #43
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    24,814
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Nope, have done similar in the past and happy with a 2000s Omega as my decent watch. Look at your purchasing history, there is no such thing as a Perfect Watch, there is always something new. A member called Jussi went through a similar pattern years ago.
    Agreed, it's a pointless merry go round.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    3,946
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Nope, have done similar in the past and happy with a 2000s Omega as my decent watch. Look at your purchasing history, there is no such thing as a Perfect Watch, there is always something new. A member called Jussi went through a similar pattern years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Agreed, it's a pointless merry go round.
    Why though?

    Nothing wrong with wanting to own different watches if you actually enjoy . . . watches! Iíve wanted to try some different brands, more so this year after being cooped up for so long. Have bought AP, GS, VC and Omega - all watches Iíve wanted to own for some years. Most of them came and went but who cares? Iíve scratched some so called itches. Iíd imagine Martyn has done the same. Plus if you are buying relatively well and can move along at similar pricing, then thereís little or no harm done financially. Iíd hazard a guess that heís enjoyed all of it - the research, the search, the purchase, the ownership and then the sale. One of the great things about our own SC - some watches get enjoyed by many people.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Perfect! Many thanks.
    Do I detect an email to the AD along the lines of:

    ďRemember the deposit I have just paid for a RG YM? Well I have changed my mind. Now I know that the WG YM will fit me a treat, I would like one of those instead please.Ē😀

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Why though?

    Nothing wrong with wanting to own different watches if you actually enjoy . . . watches! Iíve wanted to try some different brands, more so this year after being cooped up for so long. Have bought AP, GS, VC and Omega - all watches Iíve wanted to own for some years. Most of them came and went but who cares? Iíve scratched some so called itches. Iíd imagine Martyn has done the same. Plus if you are buying relatively well and can move along at similar pricing, then thereís little or no harm done financially. Iíd hazard a guess that heís enjoyed all of it - the research, the search, the purchase, the ownership and then the sale. One of the great things about our own SC - some watches get enjoyed by many people.
    Agreed - I flip a lot and sometimes chastise myself for it but then I really enjoy trying lots of different watches. No harm in it if thatís how you want to enjoy the hobby.

    Go on Martyn, change it up - the YM is an improvement for me.

  47. #47
    Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Do I detect an email to the AD along the lines of:

    ďRemember the deposit I have just paid for a RG YM? Well I have changed my mind. Now I know that the WG YM will fit me a treat, I would like one of those instead please.Ē
    I donít think so. I was interested in the dimensions though to compare. I think the 40-41mm size is ok - 39mm is the ideal for me (from experience) - but important dimension is lug-lug across watch for me.

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,818
    Iíve an itch that just doesnít stop. Perhaps I need to change my detergent. Or see my GP.

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I donít think so. I was interested in the dimensions though to compare. I think the 40-41mm size is ok - 39mm is the ideal for me (from experience) - but important dimension is lug-lug across watch for me.
    Have you tried an Oysterflex bracket? They wear very light and I think the watch feels different. If you donít the bulk you may be surprised by the rubber strap.

  50. #50
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    24,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Agreed, it's a pointless merry go round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Why though?

    Nothing wrong with wanting to own different watches if you actually enjoy . . . watches! I’ve wanted to try some different brands, more so this year after being cooped up for so long. Have bought AP, GS, VC and Omega - all watches I’ve wanted to own for some years. Most of them came and went but who cares? I’ve scratched some so called itches. I’d imagine Martyn has done the same. Plus if you are buying relatively well and can move along at similar pricing, then there’s little or no harm done financially. I’d hazard a guess that he’s enjoyed all of it - the research, the search, the purchase, the ownership and then the sale. One of the great things about our own SC - some watches get enjoyed by many people.
    Because IMO it can become almost unhealthy obsessional behaviour in the end.

    When one itch is scratched another one comes along, even after spending tens of thousands of pounds you are never satisfied. Always looking for the next fix.

    I agree that the research and possibly the purchase are quite exciting but IME ownership is always an anti climax, which is why many of these watches end up being flipped.

    How can anything live up to the dream?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information