closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Engineer Master II Skindiver II - Thoughts?

Craftsman

Engineer Master II Skindiver II - Thoughts?

I came across an article about the above watch and bar the rather unfortunate name, it looks like a really nicely put together piece of kit. I like the bulk of it, it has a bracelet that I shouldn’t like but for some reason really do and I love the lume on it.

That said, I don’t really know Ball as a manufacturer, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any in the wild and I’ve certainly never handled one. They don’t seem to have many retailers in the UK (nearest to me is in Coventry), so going to see them is tricky.

I wondered if anyone had experience of Ball, particularly the Skindiver ii and if you’d share your thoughts on the build quality, the movement and its reliability?

I have owned several, all bought from SC, and I have always been impresed with the build quality. The lume is as good as you would expect (main reason for me buying TBH, as I like to keep tabs on how many minutes it is since I last had to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night|).
    I did for several years have an Engineer Master II which was a particular favourite.
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of trying one. The value doesn't hold up too well - I have never paid more than about half the new price.

This reminds me - there haven't been many Balls on SC recently.

As a left-field curve-ball (see what I did there?) have a look at the Trainmaster Moonphase. It's like having a bonfire in the bedroom at times of full moon.
    Last edited by unclealec; 4th October 2020 at 19:34.

I’m a big fan of Ball. Build quality is up there with the likes of Omega, they go their own way with designs and obviously have a USP with their lume tech. RRP’s seem reasonable based on all that, BUT, the fact that they simply don’t hold their value, make them difficult to justify.

I had the big 46mm aviator for a while and loved it. Sold it for something like £600 a few years ago which is a crime really.

Gary

Craftsman
    The value bit I definitely get, but not many watches around that price do... so that’s not a deal breaker. I haven’t seen many for sale second hand and when I have, the prices always seem a bit ‘ambitious’.

Glad to hear the build quality is impressive.

If you can live with the chunky linear nature of the numerals I expect that you will ove them. I certainly can; it's not elegant, but it is functional.

OP, that’s actually a really nice watch. In fact I think I’m tempted to pick one up myself. Have you been offered a discount? Iguanasell have 18% off, bringing it down to £1816, but I’d like a bit more off before committing.

Gary

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    OP, that’s actually a really nice watch. In fact I think I’m tempted to pick one up myself. Have you been offered a discount? Iguanasell have 18% off, bringing it down to £1816, but I’d like a bit more off before committing.

Gary
    I haven’t got that far yet. I’ve seen an article about it and a few Pictures and taken a shine to it.

I agree with you though, given the residuals, I’d be looking for a big discount.

I'm also a secret fan of Ball watches. 100% in the 'underrated' category. I have a Fireman, very simple but very classy. I bought it for a bargain is NY. Interestingly enough I just shelled out for a Timetrekker (blue) this afternoon (arriving next year). As bit of a 'mad moment'. I know I'm going to take a bath on it but it does look sooooo nice - and I know the build quality is great (including a super comfy bracelet).

I’m a Ball fan too and will own one at some point for sure. The Skindiver is very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anyone wondered what the watch looks like…

The date window ruins it for me –*why do manufacturers keep doing it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In case anyone wondered what the watch looks like…

The date window ruins it for me –*why do manufacturers keep doing it
    I know it’s not for everyone but on a dive watch, I prefer that the hour markers keep their symmetry and so I can forgive the date window there. I know the counter argument is exactly the opposite. Because the date wheel is white it sticks out. I think it could more easily get away with it if the wheel was black with white numerals. What do you think?