closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best steakhouse you know?

Was going to say Hawksmoor. Haven’t had a bad meal at any of their restaurants.

Never been but I’ve heard Flat Iron in Covent Garden is meant to be good value for money.

Best steakhouse you know?

Found this in a village
    Its called Steakhouse by Michael
    Last edited by raptor; 3rd October 2020 at 14:55.

Blog Entries
    Best one I know is “Tuscani” In Florence, best I’ve been to is “Zaza” also in Florence. Great florentine steaks, Chianina beef.

Macellaio in London and Milan is excellent, with Fassona beef - from Piedmont. Best argentinian steak I have had is San Telmo in Milan.

F
    Last edited by Franco; 3rd October 2020 at 09:44.

Goodman - Maddox St, London

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    @number2
    i do sell venison as I am registered business but only whole carcass at moment, but if you are passing , you are welcome to produce free gratis.

@chinnock
    yep very rewarding, I am making steaks/ribs/roasting joint/mince/cubed, sausages/burgers
    dry some for biltong (muntjac is delicious), and use the livers to make pâté
    I make my own biltong, but yours does sound rather epic!

If I’m ever passing your way you will be getting a polite request to pop in

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very welcome mate.

I just realised you were probably not too far from me...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Another vote for Zelman meats. Enjoyed eating there a few times on visits to the big smoke.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My back garden, I have a choice of muntjac, roe or fallow backstrap steaks, or local Sussex lamb.

all butchered by myself for the best cuts.
    Sounds great, Mike!

As an ex-butcher myself, I can attest, there is no better way to enjoy your meat than by butchering it yourself. Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to go the one step further.

Before I moved to Asia, I would still (20 years after leaving the trade) order a side of pork and a spring lamb from mates that were still in the trade, and bone and roll them in our kitchen.
    Our daughter was fasinated with it and not at all fazed. It's certainly made her more of a foody now she is an adult and Mother.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Was going to say Hawksmoor. Haven’t had a bad meal at any of their restaurants.

Never been but I’ve heard Flat Iron in Covent Garden is meant to be good value for money.
    It depends. You do get a tasty steak for £10 but you may feel like you need a second afterwards. Still it's a fun place.

Craftsman
    There are a few places i am a fan of but my favourite is probably Goodman (City and Canary Wharf). Blacklock is great value (and the £5 cocktails go down a treat).

Randomly, I know a great place in Frankfurt - M Steakhouse.

Craftsman
    Best steaks I've had were The Butchers Shop in Jo'burg (as drunkenly remembered above) and Rusticanas in Munich....

I'm glad nobody's mentioned that twat who sprinkles the salt like a bell-end.

Best steakhouse you know?

A third vote for http://www.santamariadelsur.com/
    My favourite steak place in London

St.Barts is also very good as mentioned as well

I also am a keen shot but don’t tend to hunt in the UK, you can’t beat a nice Bush Buck, Kudu or Impala on a Braai.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th October 2020 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Had a very good meal with a friend a couple of years ago at Anthony Worrall-Thompson’s steakhouse restaurant
    Did you try the cheese board?

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Ryther arms ,ryther (near York)
    Seconded - best Porterhouse I've had in my life.

The William Tell House, Tomales CA is where I had the best Ribeye ever - straight off a nearby farm via just the right amount of on-the-carcase aging.

Smith and Wollensky. NYC. Unbelievable steak.

Pea Porridge in Bury St Edmunds. (If you don't mind the wait to get in).

Not a steakhouse as such, more of a restaurant but their hanger steak served with béarnaise sauce if to absolutely die for.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I'm glad nobody's mentioned that twat who sprinkles the salt like a bell-end.
    Salt Bae! I went to his Dubai restaurant. It was very 'meh' and ironically I felt the steak was under seasoned!

Re the best steaks you can get - I am reliably informed that these are found in Korea and Japan. Apparently the quality of the high end beef is insane however be prepared to pay £200+ for a top class steak dinner.

Based on personal experience Goodman was good and also there was a really good Argentine one in Battersea. I used to travel to Milan for work a lot and have yet to have a good steak there - shame as the food overall is good but it seems steak isn't done properly.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd October 2020 at 15:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Having been a keen shot myself, there is nothing more rewarding and respectful I might add, in butchering your own kills, or tastier!

That aside, my local Bella’s Pais (not a chain) run by my mate Andy in Colchester, is famed for it steaks and generosity of portions.
    Second vote for Bellas Pais, always very good

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    My house.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Peter Luger’s, Brooklyn. Been there a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Blacklock (London) great steak without getting robbed. Used to take clients there, very popular. Hope they survive the lockdown ..

But I’m not sure they beat my picanha done first sous vide and then finished off on the Weber.
    Blacklock is fantastic and when I can visit London again will be amongst first places I visit. That bread at the bottom of the plate, with all the juices soaked in... Oh my.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    You wouldn’t define it as a ‘steakhouse’ but they only serve steak, so it counts (sort of):

https://relaisdevenise.com/locations...marylebone.php

AKA L’Entrecote. Delicious every time.
    Been several times, simple as it is brilliant. And have even been joined in the queue on more than one occasion by a variety of celebrity chefs. If it's good enough for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Best steak I have had since moving to Edinburgh was in Gusto on George Street followed closely by Miller and Carter at Cramond Brig.

If we’re talking best steak ever is has to be the one in a local restaurant in Varadero, Cuba on Christmas Day a few years ago.
    Gusto is nice and I really enjoy going to M&C - but there are a few brilliant places about. I would heartily recommend a visit to Kyloe which is my personal favourite and alongside a wonderful steak does a decent wine list. La P'tite Folie is also lovely and if you like variety and quantity then Fazenda is very difficult to beat. As I'm typing this I am reminded of Chop House, another must.

I also have been in recent years to The Cowshed in Bristol, where the service is always excellent, it is well priced, and the food is wonderful.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Gusto is nice and I really enjoy going to M&C - but there are a few brilliant places about. I would heartily recommend a visit to Kyloe which is my personal favourite and alongside a wonderful steak does a decent wine list. La P'tite Folie is also lovely and if you like variety and quantity then Fazenda is very difficult to beat. As I'm typing this I am reminded of Chop House, another must.
    Thanks for the tips. Not lived in Edinburgh long so still finding my way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Not a steakhouse as such, but one of the nicest pieces of beef I've had in the UK was the Galician steak served up at the Basque restaurant in London 'Lurra'. It was truly wonderful. The thing that is different in this place is the age of the animal when slaughtered...much older. A very different flavour, especially of the fat, which was much more yellowed than that from a younger animal.
    I really enjoy Galician beef, it can be picked up here if you fancy it...

https://www.boneandblock.com/collections/galician-beef

I'm sure you can offer from elsewhere, but I've found the owner to be really helpful.

They also run a restaurant, but I'm nowhere near Liverpool so can't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Hawksmoor and Gaucho are good but Goodman on Maddox Street is the best in my opinion
    I'd agree with this.

What this post needs is pictures! Typically I prefer steak at home, that way I can get it exactly how I like...

Below is a piece of Galician as referenced above. Sealed on direct great with only sea salt flakes, then cooked indirectly to around 48c internal temp. Then removed and left to rest. Once internal temp is 54c I carve and enjoy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How does the int temp rise 6c after you remove it from the heat?!

His house is very warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to M&C recently for my sons birthday which was the first time out since lockdown. Been there many times and never had a bad meal,
    Anyway seeing as it was his birthday got my son this, supposed to be sharing but he did a fine job on his own.

Meat to continues to cook internally when removed from the heat.

Have you ever noticed, your steak, lamb, beef joint, etc... is cooked perfectly, but once you've rested it for 5 or 10 minutes, it's over cooked.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Meat to continues to cook internally when removed from the heat.

Have you ever noticed, your steak, lamb, beef joint, etc... is cooked perfectly, but once you've rested it for 5 or 10 minutes, it's over cooked.
    I understand the continues to cook, I just can't see a temperature rise, I am doing a roe Buck haunch for lunch later. I will give it some readings after I remove it from the oven.

I understand the continues to cook, I just can't see a temperature rise, I am doing a roe Buck haunch for lunch later. I will give it some readings after I remove it from the oven.
    Physics here: https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermom...fter-you-cook/
    But, in short, when the meat is removed from the heat source at 48c internal it is > 54c external. Some of the heat in the outside of the meat escapes to the environment but some continues to heat the inside.

Craftsman
    Ruth Chris
    NYC
    Many years ago though. Best steak for me. I ate this.

Regards
    V

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    Ruth Chris
    NYC
    Many years ago though. Best steak for me. I ate this.

Regards
    V

Looks great, but filet mignon is not for me. No fat which supplies all the taste. I’ve no idea why it commands such a premium.

A nice fat marbled rib eye or sirloin every time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I really enjoy Galician beef, it can be picked up here if you fancy it...

https://www.boneandblock.com/collections/galician-beef

I'm sure you can offer from elsewhere, but I've found the owner to be really helpful.

They also run a restaurant, but I'm nowhere near Liverpool so can't try it.
    Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    We went to M&C recently for my sons birthday which was the first time out since lockdown. Been there many times and never had a bad meal,
    Anyway seeing as it was his birthday got my son this, supposed to be sharing but he did a fine job on his own.
    That’s up my street,can’t be bothering with 8oz fillet

Master
    Gallaghers in NYC, Gaucho in Richmond on Thames and Cattlegrid in Windsor, although i'm not overly fussy

The Marcliffe in Aberdeen does the best ribeye in the kingdom AFAIAC. A wine list like a telephone book. Stay overnight and have the kedgeree for breakfast.

Honourable mention for Rowleys in London. Best chateaubriand I ever ate, although that was a long time ago.

Master
    Goodmans Mayfair > Gauchos. But my best experience has been at the JW Steakhouse in the JW Marriott hotel on Park Lane. Traditional and higher quality than even Goodmans.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The Marcliffe in Aberdeen does the best ribeye in the kingdom AFAIAC. A wine list like a telephone book. Stay overnight and have the kedgeree for breakfast.

Honourable mention for Rowleys in London. Best chateaubriand I ever ate, although that was a long time ago.
    That reminds me, I have a voucher for a free overnight stay there still to use....

I think it'll be ribeye and kedgiree for me too....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Master
    Agree with quite a few on here that Goodman Mayfair is very good (Canary Wharf just seemed to lack some atmosphere when we went but still good steak) and Zelman Meats is nearly as good but is better value for money although still not exactly cheap. This should come as no surprise as they're both part of the same group and who are also half of a joint venture, with the chain Burger & Lobster, to form Beast behind Oxford Street. Also agree that Hawksmoor is a bit overrated too. Interestingly I also had my best ever steak in a hotel restaurant, the Hyatt in Hamburg.

Always had great steak at Manchester’s Gaucho - the other, mostly London, have been less consistent for me.

Best steak I’ve had in recent times was at the Powerhouse in Tamworth NSW, where I tried their wagyu.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It depends. You do get a tasty steak for £10 but you may feel like you need a second afterwards. Still it's a fun place.
    Thanks...never been because I believe you can't book and end up having to join a queue outside. I guess you get what you pay for so might be better to stick to Hawksmoor!

Best steak I've had was in a Restaurant in Hiroshima, Japan. I've no idea of the name, or where exactly it was as we were taken there by our hosts, but it was Waygu beef, that was incredible and literally melted in your mouth, presented with great ceremony.

If you are ever in Dublin, then "Shanahans on the Green" is well worth a visit for a good steak and great atmosphere.

I'd also agree that for a "chain" restaurant Miller and Carter are good value for money. We have 2 near us and the food in both has been great, though the service has been changeable.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Seeing as Miller & Carter have been mentioned this might be of interest to people.
    If you hold just 1 share in their parent company (Mitchell’s & Butlers) they will send you a voucher booklet at the beginning of each year. You need to hold this share as of the 1st November each year (I think). There are 12 vouchers in each booklet and each voucher entitles you to 20% off your entire bill (including drinks) in any of M&B’s restaurants and can be used for up to 10 people at each meal.
    I asked them if they were still doing them for next year and the answer was yes. It’s a cracking ‘deal’ and well worth doing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks...never been because I believe you can't book and end up having to join a queue outside. I guess you get what you pay for so might be better to stick to Hawksmoor!
    When we went to the Flat Iron in Soho they took your details and sent you a text message when your table was ready so you could have a few drinks beforehand. Yes it's cheap for Central London and I didn't mind the cosy atmosphere but the other half didn't like it so never been back. Just remembered that we also went to The Ox in Cheltenham earlier this year and that was good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Pretty sure we went there some years ago now! Paid £70 for a steak!! It was bloomin lovely though!!!

Yeah, it was expensive lol but as you say, worth every penny!

I find steakhouses a bit irrelevant these days. Unlike a good Italian or French restaurant, steak is just so easy to cook.

Buy a good aged rib eye or sirloin from your butcher or even the supermarket.

Heat a solid cast iron pan until it’s glowing and smoking, and then a couple of mins each side.

If I’m paying good money in a restaurant I want food that I can’t cook, not food that I can easily cook at home.