closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the GS SBGA293G

Thoughts on the GS SBGA293G

For many years, I have thought about getting a GS, but which one?
    Last year while in Sydney, Australia I visited the GS Boutique and was taken with the simplicity of the dial, the size and that it came fitted on a strap.
    Just to add, that the colour of the dial can look more or less creamy under different lighting.

I have searched a few forums and it appears that they are not all that common.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the watch or alternatives.
    Currently not considering the Snowflake style.

Below, is a link to some photos of the piece.

Many thanks

https://klocksnack.se/threads/grand-...yskick.130966/

Master
    Looks very elegant. Same case style as the SBGA407, I think, which wears well.

Also like the red accent on the PR - seen more clearly here: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-e...tions/sbga293g
    Last edited by Berty234; 2nd October 2020 at 12:55.

I tried on this watch at the AD in Leeds last year and loved it. It is definitely on my short list if I was to buy another GS. I would change the strap though as the OEM one felt a little cheap in my opinion.

I believe that you can buy a bracelet to fit which would make it more versatile as well.

Its a lovely watch and more dressy than the snowflake. Is that the main attraction of the case to you? 40mm is a good size for the style and the dial and hands are superb.

Journeyman

Question Check out that manual!

More a book than manual. What's in there? Warranty in 200 languages? Patent application for the SpringDrive™ ??

Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    More a book than manual. What's in there? Warranty in 200 languages? Patent application for the SpringDrive™ ??
    Wait, what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I tried on this watch at the AD in Leeds last year and loved it. It is definitely on my short list if I was to buy another GS. I would change the strap though as the OEM one felt a little cheap in my opinion.

If memory serves me correctly, the strap is a very dark blue with blue stitching.
    Would certainly be worth keeping in mind, though nowadays, I prefer my watch on a strap.

I believe that you can buy a bracelet to fit which would make it more versatile as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Its a lovely watch and more dressy than the snowflake. Is that the main attraction of the case to you? 40mm is a good size for the style and the dial and hands are superb.
    Yes, liked the size.
    40mm is the max for me, though the thickness is a shade too much.
    But not enough to prevent getting one.

Master
    They wear a bit smaller than 40mm. The box crystal and decent enough bezel helps keep it reasonable.

The thickness doesn’t really show on the wrist either - they sit nicely.

I've got a similar watch, the SBGE027 (227 with the new branding).

Mine's a GMT so perhaps slightly thicker. After a few months on the OEM leather strap I decided it was too thick and that the dial colour was hard to match to a strap, so ordered a bracelet from Seiko UK. The bracelet took months and had to come from 'manufacturing' in Japan. It was several hundred but the watch wears better with it.

I don't know if all GS watches have a bracelet option. Mine was possible because there's a alternate version of my watch with a different dial colour that comes on a bracelet.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

^^^^^
    That is rather nice
    Will have to take a closer look.

Master
    I’m waiting for GS to scrap that power gauge. Spoils the dial and is unnecessary. I also wouldn’t mind if they cut-down on the number of limited/special editions. It gets confusing.....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I’m waiting for GS to scrap that power gauge. Spoils the dial and is unnecessary. I also wouldn’t mind if they cut-down on the number of limited/special editions. It gets confusing.....
    I agree, but bought one recently. Wasn't delighted about the power reserve but have come to accept it and doesn't bother me.

I'd it really bothers you but still want a GS rather than just a spring drive you could consider a high beat?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I've got a similar watch, the SBGE027 (227 with the new branding).

Mine's a GMT so perhaps slightly thicker. After a few months on the OEM leather strap I decided it was too thick and that the dial colour was hard to match to a strap, so ordered a bracelet from Seiko UK. The bracelet took months and had to come from 'manufacturing' in Japan. It was several hundred but the watch wears better with it.

I don't know if all GS watches have a bracelet option. Mine was possible because there's a alternate version of my watch with a different dial colour that comes on a bracelet.

Does the clasp close flush on that? Mine closes and leaves maybe 3 or 4mm of a gap between clasp edges and braclet and this is enough to catch on everything, very annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    Does the clasp close flush on that? Mine closes and leaves maybe 3 or 4mm of a gap between clasp edges and braclet and this is enough to catch on everything, very annoying
    It's okay, there isn't any noticeable gap.

My only criticism if I'm being picky is that the clasp cover isn't perfect in how it's been stamped and looks slightly mishapen when the light hits it a certain way. It's a bit tricky to get it apart, as the GS logo looks like it'd need to be hammered out if I wanted to refinish the cover and flatten it down. I expect another one might be different.

GS bracelets aren't the best, I've another one which has 'Friday afternoon' brush strokes that are slightly curved. That's an earlier three link one.

I've never noticed any issues with cases, dials or hands though.

In my case the PR indicator, is one of the things that I like

SBGR061/261 is a rather nice choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    In my case the PR indicator, is one of the things that I like

I agree, I've never found the power reserve to be intrusive and it is useful on a watch with a 3-day power reserve which goes on and off the wrist (e.g. I don't use power tools wearing it).

Each model has a different dial treatment for the power reserve, some make more of a feature of it than others, on mine it blends in.

I don't mind the asymmetry either, the dial looks balanced to me when seen in person, due to the date bring on the right hand side with a prominent frame around it.

Have a look at the SBGR261. Imho that nails the look. Superb watch

Journeyman
    There are Spring Drive models with the reserve on the backside. If/when I have £4k, I'd get that one ;)

Craftsman

I like

Also a fan of the powerreserve myself..Shows the watch has some extra features....

Guillermo

Craftsman
    That is a very nice piece and one that I considered before getting my Skyflake. (I know you said you are not interested in the snowflake dials) The case is the same in both models and it is dressy. But you can make it more casual with a change in strap. And switch up back to the croc when you want more formal. How about a grey nubuck? I put my skyflake on a suede one and have found to very versatile.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    SBGR061/261 is a rather nice choice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Have a look at the SBGR261. Imho that nails the look. Superb watch
    Prior to seeing the SBGA293, the 061 was my favourite.
    Thanks for pointing out that it had been updated (261) to the new dial set up.

Ctam
    Lovely looking Skyflake.
    Agree that a change of strap can make all the difference.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Prior to seeing the SBGA293, the 061 was my favourite.
    Thanks for pointing out that it had been updated (261) to the new dial set up.

Ctam
    Lovely looking Skyflake.
    Agree that a change of strap can make all the difference.
    Thanks! Are you closer to a decision yet?

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    The Horology House review of this watch has some fantastic footage that will get rid of any remaining doubts you may have! I tried this one on at an AD - it really is a stunning watch and, if anything, the finishing even felt a slight step up from GS's already exceptional norm. As for all GS non-quartz models, I wish it were 1mm thinner but, nevertheless, it still looked/felt fine on the wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 061 or 261 is a great choice

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Thanks! Are you closer to a decision yet?

BW,
    Chi Kai

No, not as yet, I would like to have another look at one to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    The Horology House review of this watch has some fantastic footage that will get rid of any remaining doubts you may have! I tried this one on at an AD - it really is a stunning watch and, if anything, the finishing even felt a slight step up from GS's already exceptional norm. As for all GS non-quartz models, I wish it were 1mm thinner but, nevertheless, it still looked/felt fine on the wrist.
    Yes, I have watched the review a couple of times and he certainly gives the piece the thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The 061 or 261 is a great choice
    It certainly is and one that I am still considering it.
    It would be good if there were some more AD's so that I could get to look at my choices.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thoughts on the GS SBGA293G

That’s a shame, GS dealers are not that common still. I’m lucky my local AD has stocked them for years
    Last edited by Middo; 9th October 2020 at 11:40.