closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Watch warranty woes

Journeyman

Tudor Watch warranty woes

Hi all, Interested to hear your views on this...

I bought a Tudor Black Bay late last year to give to my son for his 18th Birthday in mid February. He wore it just a handful of times before the country went into lockdown and then a couple of times once restrictions were lifted. Otherwise it was just sat in his bedroom in a safe place.
    Early on after receiving it he slightly damaged the bezel and bezel insert, he’s made contact with something, as you can see from the attached picture.

A few weeks back I wound it up for him, and it worked briefly and then just stopped. I made contact with the AD that I bought it from and they duly sent it off to the RSC to be fixed under warranty. There was no suggestion there would be any issues. A few weeks on and the RSC has come back to the AD to say they are refusing to repair it under warranty stating that the impact damage has caused the watch to stop!

Now the Black Bay is no dress watch, it’s marketed as a tool watch and a sports watch and I really don't feel that the damage to the watch should have caused it to stop!
    So, my question to you is am I being a bit optimistic in that they should repair the watch under warranty (the non running aspect, I’m not expecting them to repair the cosmetics FOC) or are the RSC digging their heels in where they shouldn’t really be? Would welcome your thoughts.

He assures me the watch has not been dropped and I do believe him on that.

Thanks
    Jon

[IMG]A3518322-3ECA-42FA-B9B2-50C753C9B0AC by Jon Billbo, on Flickr[/IMG]

Master
    He did damage the watch. It may have received quite a blow, hard to tell. Tudor are well within their rights in a situation like this. Shame, but there it is.
    Incidentally, I’ve been in a similar situation(not with Tudor) , and had to pay.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd October 2020 at 09:51.

Quite annoying but at least a service on a Tudor isn't too bad. £250 or so? He might have knocked it off a door frame and been too scared to admit it?

Definitely within their rights to refuse to repair as damage was through no fault of Tudor. £300 ought to cover it though

Looks like a reasonable scrape taking off a fair amount of bezel metal and damaging the bezel pip if I see that correctly? Doesn’t surprise me Rolex are saying this...think there is no arguing and will just have to pay unfortunately.

So the Tudor Black Bay can't take a slight knock without buggering the movement? Is it made of cheese?

It's not a great advert for them though is it

Journeyman
    Just to be clear, i'm not looking for cosmetic damage to be repaired under warranty. The service is about £220 and then but they won't let it go out without a new bezel insert and they want an extra £100 for refurbishing the case/bracelet (although it does also say that's part of the service!)

I'm merely surprised the watch could not withstand this scrape without it breaking. The photo magnifies it but the scrape to the bezel affects less then a centimetre of the circumference, and as for the damage to the bezel lume casing well it's a tiny ring of metal..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So the Tudor Black Bay can't take a slight knock without buggering the movement? Is it made of cheese?

That's what I'm beginning to think!

Feel for you but...

It looks a fair smack / drop and could easily have caused one of the many moving parts to have jumped and caused a lock up.....

Think I would tug on RSC / AD heart strings a wee bit being for his 18th and first of many Tudor / Rolex he will be acquiring in his life, AD’s do have influence.....

Get it fixed whichever way get it back on his wrist....

Master
    +1

My thoughts exactly.

Tudor Watch warranty woes

That mark could have been caused by anything including a drop from 6 feet. I think plenty of brands’ movements would have a potential problem with a major bang. Doubt it’’s a Tudor thing tbh.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 2nd October 2020 at 21:24.

Sorry to hear, but I don’t think it is a warranty matter, and I think all luxury brands would take the same approach.

I would accept the cost, but maybe do a little education as to complexity of mechanical watches, as they don’t do well with impact.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My Tudor BB GMT is off at the menders because of a date wheel issue. Thankfully it's still under warranty...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Feel for you but...

It looks a fair smack / drop and could easily have caused one of the many moving parts to have jumped and caused a lock up.....

Think I would tug on RSC / AD heart strings a wee bit being for his 18th and first of many Tudor / Rolex he will be acquiring in his life, AD’s do have influence.....

Get it fixed whichever way get it back on his wrist....

It's definitely not been dropped. To be fair the AD has worked hard to try and sort it for me. I've a good relationship and this is the 2nd black bay I've bought off him. My eldest has one too... Unfortunately I'm going to have buy a 3rd one too as my youngest son is coming up to his 18th in just over a year...

The problem is whether it was assembled properly to begin with. If it was then the damage inflicted could cause it to stop and if it wasn’t then the damage would cause it to stop. Hard to prove either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    My Tudor BB GMT is off at the menders because of a date wheel issue. Thankfully it's still under warranty...
    I don't see how this relates to the OPs situation?

OP - I think it's just unfortunate if Tudor dig their heels in. I have had some experience of watch brands giving good will gestures and offering discounts on the service in situations like this...I'd be trying to pull at their heartstrings for one and highlighting you are a repeat customer!

Looking at the extent of the damage to the bezel, if it hasn't been dropped, it's had a bloody good clattering one way or another.

I don't think Tudor's position is unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb71 View Post
    It's definitely not been dropped. To be fair the AD has worked hard to try and sort it for me. I've a good relationship and this is the 2nd black bay I've bought off him. My eldest has one too... Unfortunately I'm going to have buy a 3rd one too as my youngest son is coming up to his 18th in just over a year...
    There's your solution. Pay full whack and get it refinished with the new bezel insert and guilt your AD into a similar discount off the upcoming Black Bay. Or higher up the list for something sports if they stock Rolex.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There's your solution. Pay full whack and get it refinished with the new bezel insert and guilt your AD into a similar discount off the upcoming Black Bay. Or higher up the list for something sports if they stock Rolex.
    Yeah I suppose that's one way to look at it

Master
    I believe this will an ETA 2824 movement? Are they prone to things getting stuck? Any chance a sharp whack might dislodge whatever is causing the problem?

I seem to remember reading that some Seiko movements can suffer from a stuck hairspring that can be encourage to move in this way.

Just a thought...

Paying up may be the only way to get it sorted, such is life, however seen as you are paying and they are claiming internal damage can you not ask 'exactly' what damage was found when opened?

I know it may not help you, but if they are 'delicate watches' with a particular inherent weakness you'll be doing the community a service.

How do you know it was a slight knock?
    One could argue and say that the case and bezel are so sturdy that a knock impactful enough to damage the movement caused so little damage to the case and the bezel:-)
    It is absolutely unrealistic to expect them to cover it under warranty.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    Paying up may be the only way to get it sorted, such is life, however seen as you are paying and they are claiming internal damage can you not ask 'exactly' what damage was found when opened?

I know it may not help you, but if they are 'delicate watches' with a particular inherent weakness you'll be doing the community a service.
    It's a good thought, I will make sure to ask.

I have no issue with Tudor's response, this has been damaged by the user, and they don't know the seriousness of the incident. Maybe buy a G-shock as a daily, and keep this for less active duty.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This watch will have their own MT5602 Calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I believe this will an ETA 2824 movement? Are they prone to things getting stuck? Any chance a sharp whack might dislodge whatever is causing the problem?

I seem to remember reading that some Seiko movements can suffer from a stuck hairspring that can be encourage to move in this way.

Just a thought...
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I have no issue with Tudor's response, this has been damaged by the user, and they don't know the seriousness of the incident. Maybe buy a G-shock as a daily, and keep this for less active duty.

I'll get him a G shock to wear during the day, then perhaps he can sleep with this one on...

Apprentice
    Did it stop working immediately after the impact that caused the damage to the bezel?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Did it stop working immediately after the impact that caused the damage to the bezel?
    No, it happened months ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm merely surprised the watch could not withstand this scrape without it breaking.
    Trouble is you don’t actually know what happened. It maybe your lad is afraid to tell you the truth.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It maybe your lad is afraid to tell you the truth.
    No, sorry, that's not the case.

Apprentice
    Poor service then. I’d suggest getting the AD to apply some pressure if possible.

It's a good thought, I will make sure to ask.
    They won't tell you.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Unfortunately I think there is the issue. Should have been sent straight away.

Master
    Looks like a big knock to me, the metal surrounding the lune pip is pretty mullered. The movement is shock resistant so one would have to assume it’s a big knock. I think Tudor are within their rights to not repair the movement under warranty.

Craftsman
    I can understand why a company may look to avoid repairing accidental damage under warranty; it seems reasonable to me that wear and tear - aka life - isn't covered by warranty!

Still, it is interesting that - if I'm understanding this correctly - Tudor are requiring a refinish and replacement bezel insert as part of the repair. Seems odd to force restoration to as-new condition, or is there something I'm missing here? I thought it was possible to avoid refinishing of watches if you want to avoid unnecessary costs and/or retain original parts and patina (although of course, if your wishes aren't honoured, there's no going back with vintage pieces).

I have a scrape on my Rolex GMT-II 16710 bezel that's still there and a few marks on the case and they let that slide when it went in for a service at St James Square a few years back.

Many people assume that these heavyweight sports or tool watches are pretty bulletproof but anything with a mechanical movement is prone to conking out/ going off time if dropped or given a sharp impact which the Tudor obviously has suffered.

I had one stop when I dropped it about a foot onto a table!

If you want to bash watches around I would recommend quartz TBH and I doubt you will get any joy from Tudor when the impact damage is plain to see.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'd be very surprised if Tudor were forcing the bezel and insert restoration. Normally this goes as an optional extra if anything more than a light polish is required. For example, I used to have an older Black Bay that had a scratched bezel insert. This appeared on the invoice as optional and I chose to have the service without the bezel changed.

The problem with this is that the damage could have been caused by either just a scrape or a seriously hard knock...it's impossible to determine the cause from the outcome. Tudor obviously believe whatever force caused the damage also caused the movement to fail. I'd say on balance of probability, this is a reasonable assumption.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Looks like a big knock to me, the metal surrounding the lune pip is pretty mullered. The movement is shock resistant so one would have to assume it’s a big knock. I think Tudor are within their rights to not repair the movement under warranty.
    I've only got my submariner to go from on my wrist but the metal surrounding the lune pip on that must be no more than 0.5mm thick. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much force to recreate the dent....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    They won't tell you.
    I could understand this if if it was a warranty repair at their cost but if you’re paying for a service to fix a watch they tell you is damaged surely they would tell you what the damage was?

Craftsman
    It’s probably just a hooked hairspring, have you tried giving it another knock? Failing that, why not crack the back off and have a look yourself, it’s not going to change the warranty status now?

That watch has had a big knock, look at the damage around the pip and bezel. That’s bound to have put a big old shock into the movement.

Tudor not fixing the movement under warranty doesn’t surprise me.

Craftsman
    As someone who does use tool watches as a tool I have a lot of experience at knocks and dings. That looks like quite a bang to do that much damage and take that much metal off.

Sadly, I think Tudor may be well within their rights on this one.

Not what you want to hear, but there it is.

Master
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm not an expert on watches in any sense, but to me it looks like a completely unimportant everyday scratch, nothing dramatic.

Every watch worn during normal tasks has such marks sooner or later.

FFS, we are talking about tool/diver watch, this is not a Piaget Altiplano 900P !
    Last edited by matt; 2nd October 2020 at 19:00. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I'm not an expert on watches in any sense, but to me it looks like a completely unimportant everyday scratch, nothing dramatic.
    Maybe look at the bezel not the scratch on the lug!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [IMG][/IMG]

Every watch worn during normal tasks has such marks sooner or later.

FFS, we are talking about tool/diver watch, this is not a Piaget Altiplano 900P !
    I think you are missing the deformed bezel edge and the huge ding in the bezel pip.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, sorry, that's not the case.
    Your OP was very vague on what had actually happened to cause the damage. What are the details?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Maybe look at the bezel not the scratch on the lug!
    I saw it, thank you, again: it's nothing unusual on tool/dive watch.
    It' not the end of the world, it's just cosmetic thing, well, at last fot me, anyway...
    Last edited by matt; 2nd October 2020 at 19:42.

I saw it, thank you, again: it's nothing unusual on tool/dive watch.
    It' not the end of the world, it's just cosmetic thing, well, at last fot me, anyway...
    I would disagree, tool watch or not the damage is significant on the bezel and not normal every day wear and tear.

How is it just a cosmetic 'thing' if the watch has stopped working, I think Tudor are quite within there rights to refuse a warranty claim.

As a matter of interest, what exactly did your son do to cause the damage to his watch?

Master
    It’s very possible to do that kind of damage by brushing against a brick wall, for example, without much force and being unlucky. It isn’t necessarily a big drop. We are also looking at a zoomed in picture, which makes things look far worse than they probably are.

I’m not overly surprised about the service being charged but it isn’t a clear and obvious thing to me. The bit about insisting on refinishing is not acceptable though - they have no right to require this.
    Last edited by Berty234; 3rd October 2020 at 07:21.