closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ISO 6425 Rated JLC Polaris

Master

ISO 6425 Rated JLC Polaris

JLS have just released two new "proper' dive Polaris watches. I really liked the new Polaris models, and being able to swim in them with 300m of confidence is a great upgrade.

However, at the risk of boring myself with the same whinge, the date ruins the symmetry.

Review at: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/jaeger-...er-dive-watch/

simon

I do like those but I’d need a good discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£15,000 for stainless steel diver from a brand that loses money hand over fist from RRP is a tough call.

Having said that I really like it.

But it's a £8-9k watch at best.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master

ISO 6425 Rated JLC Polaris

Good points. A Royal Oak Offshore Diver isn’t far off in price, and I know what I’’d prefer.

simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Drool - Love these =)

Journeyman
    Oh look, it's the watch they should have released to begin with at twice the price!

Won't be a shock when these flood the grey market along with the rest of the Polaris line.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Smile

Pricing seems to not make any sense, the vanila way overpriced.

However the Memovox seems to be priced inline with previous Memovox versions which was 12-13k
    Totally different beast from the vanilla Polaris models, and the better buy.
    Last edited by endo; 1st October 2020 at 20:53.

WatchAdvisor has a hands on video including the memovox version:

https://youtu.be/VLoYe9iTY8U

He really does have a great YouTube channel if you're interested in new releases.

Craftsman
    really interesting models. Love the alarm version, but wow, pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Pricing seems to not make any sense, the vanila way overpriced.

However the Memovox seems to be priced inline with previous Memovox versions which was 12-13k
    Totally different beast from the vanilla Polaris models, and the better buy.
    Does that justify it?

To me it just means they are all overpriced.

It's not an attack on JLC. I'm a fan and have owned a few but they seem to have mispriced this one.

We shall see and I may well be proved wrong.

Craftsman
    Stunning watch, I can't afford it so I'm not getting worked up over the price.

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post

However, at the risk of boring myself with the same whinge, the date ruins the symmetry.
    You might feel it ruins the symmetry but the date is an important part of the original Polaris look. If you want one without the date they make one with a lumed 3 in its place but to my eyes looks like a very different watch...almost like a Speedmaster Reduced compared to a Moonwatch.

I like ths new Polaris Date...it addresses the issues I had with the original from 2018, faux patina, low power reserve but also brings a welcome (to me) display back......the main problem is that the inclusion of a bracelet I wouldn't use has put the price out of my reach.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Does that justify it?

To me it just means they are all overpriced.

It's not an attack on JLC. I'm a fan and have owned a few but they seem to have mispriced this one.

We shall see and I may well be proved wrong.

Is any RRP priced justified?
    Or i it less acceptible because value retention / profit is less favourible?
    That’s Not actually aimed at you, its more of question folk should consider seeing the massive price hikes on Patek today, and nobody bat’s an eyelid since it really hasnt eaten into potential “profit”

But yes, the Memovox price is justifiable because there are few alarm watches that come close in my experience.
    I’ve owned quite a few from different brands from buzzy bellmarics and vulcains, to JLC, Tudor and over complex things like the doublematic.
    Had an “alarm off” many years ago and the JLC strikes the right balance of pleasing tone and alarm duration.
    Granted you could argue a G-shock is just as capable of waking you up, but I love the sound of my NS Incursion (which is also a 300m Memovox)

As to the the 3k price increase, with increased water resitance and a bracelet, (the two prior modern re-incarnations both came on straps, and an average JLC bracelet is 1.5-2k) it isn’t particularily shocking either.)

2008 Polaris Memovox re-edition sits around 10-12k
    2018 Polaris Memovox (re-re editon) around the same mark as the 08
    So ultimately not a bad price for a modern re-re-reisue with signicant upgrades

The Vanilla date version on the other hand, is near impossible to justify, as there’s way to many 300m divers on the market to make it stand out, might as well buy a Sub at that price.
    Last edited by endo; 1st October 2020 at 23:55.

It’s a perfect Memovox for me, apart from the price
    Bracelet- check
    300m depth rating- check
    Screw down crown for internal bezel - BIG check
    Blue dial- check

I’ve been drawn to the previous Polaris memovox model and have been watching the second hand market, in which in the US it isn’t doing well.
    If I could buy this version at a discount, I would go for it. I think it’s perfect.( for me at least )

Apprentice
    That’s Not actually aimed at you, its more of question folk should consider seeing the massive price hikes on Patek today, and nobody bat’s an eyelid since it really hasnt eaten into potential “profit”

But yes, the Memovox price is justifiable because there are few alarm watches that come close in my experience.
    I’ve owned quite a few from different brands from buzzy bellmarics and vulcains, to JLC, Tudor and over complex things like the doublematic.
    Had an “alarm off” many years ago and the JLC strikes the right balance of pleasing tone and alarm duration.
    Granted you could argue a G-shock is just as capable of waking you up, but I love the sound of my NS Incursion (which is also a 300m Memovox)

As to the the 3k price increase, with increased water resitance and a bracelet, (the two prior modern re-incarnations both came on straps, and an average JLC bracelet is 1.5-2k) it isn’t particularily shocking either.)

2008 Polaris Memovox re-edition sits around 10-12k
    2018 Polaris Memovox (re-re editon) around the same mark as the 08
    So ultimately not a bad price for a modern re-re-reisue with signicant upgrades

The Vanilla date version on the other hand, is near impossible to justify, as there’s way to many 300m divers on the market to make it stand out, might as well buy a Sub at that price.
    Agree with the above - from a fellow Doublematic owner :)

I think this hits the nail on the head and it’s something that I think about quite often when prices are discussed here. Omega, for example, come in for a lot of stick when they increase prices and yet plenty of people suggest Rolex are underpriced. In terms of quality of the product there is no discernible difference between a Seamaster and a Submariner, and both probably cost around £500 to produce, yet value retention, indeed exponential growth, only exists with a couple of brands and that must be a major factor on how people see retail prices.
    I try my best to look at other factors such as how much individual attention a watch receives in manufacture, how many watches the manufacturer makes, quality of finish etc. I’ll then judge for myself whether the the price is justified without thinking of how others would value it if want to sell.
    In this case do I think that the watch is worth two Submariners or three Seamasters? Yes, by a country ten thousand miles.

Raising this thread from the depths (pun intended) as I have just noticed that there are two watches in this range.

The none Memovox version is 'just' £9,990 which makes it seem like an even bigger upcharge for the Memovox version especially as the non alarm version has the 70 hour power reserve!

Anyway...main reason for the post is asking whether anyone is aware of JLC offering discounts on this kind of watch?

I've a big birthday coming up next year and with a couple of small trade ins and discount to £7.5-£8k this feels like a potential purchase.

Cheers

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Raising this thread from the depths (pun intended) as I have just noticed that there are two watches in this range.

The none Memovox version is 'just' £9,990 which makes it seem like an even bigger upcharge for the Memovox version especially as the non alarm version has the 70 hour power reserve!

Anyway...main reason for the post is asking whether anyone is aware of JLC offering discounts on this kind of watch?

I've a big birthday coming up next year and with a couple of small trade ins and discount to £7.5-£8k this feels like a potential purchase.

Cheers

Chris
    I would guess the usual greys could get you a deal? https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/

Cheers Martyn. I'd forgotten all about outfits like that. Have emailed them now and see what they say. Although the precise model reference didn't show up on the website I'm sure they can source one.

I think they’re a great choice for a birthday piece. I’d love to know if 20% off is realistic though.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I think they’re a great choice for a birthday piece. I’d love to know if 20% off is realistic though.
    They've just replied to my enquiry to say they are looking into it and will respond next week....I'll keep everyone posted.

Did you ever get a reply or did lockdown get the better of the process?

Ah yes and no. They just said it was a new release and couldn't confirm the discount just yet.

Probably not as much as I'd like.

But thanks for reminding me!

Tricky to negotiate when you can’t get in either! Oh well, good luck and keep us posted

It wasnt being released until January (that was the response) but initial guess was 10% max.

I'd probably need 20% to make it work.

Master
    Mentioning ISO 6425 is marketing guff. 99% of dive watches meet the criteria.

These do look really nice though and I'd happily own one, as my favourite diver was my now long gone MC Diving GMT.