closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two new limited edition 55th anni Seiko divers.

Quote Originally Posted by woodruffm View Post
    Thanks for the heads up mate, I cancelled my other order and went with your link...£600 saved...not sure the wife will see it that way, but that's another story.
    Did you pay up front or just a deposit?

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Did you pay up front or just a deposit?
    The whole amount.

The other jewellers would have been happy to apply a 10% discount but they wouldn't stretch to 15%, so they refunded me my deposit, I believe WatchO also give you an extended warranty as part of the package too which is a nice addition.

At £3,468 it's not as hard to swallow as £4080, which is what I was in for this morning, and this seems to put it in line with the used market prices for reissues such as the SLA017 and the SLA033.

I just hope I like the blue second's hand in the flesh.

Are you getting involved, or are you still on the fence?

Master
    Thanks for the heads up mate, I cancelled my other order and went with your link...£600 saved...not sure the wife will see it that way, but that's another story.
    well done that man!

The whole amount.

The other jewellers would have been happy to apply a 10% discount but they wouldn't stretch to 15%, so they refunded me my deposit, I believe WatchO also give you an extended warranty as part of the package too which is a nice addition.

At £3,468 it's not as hard to swallow as £4080, which is what I was in for this morning, and this seems to put it in line with the used market prices for reissues such as the SLA017 and the SLA033.

I just hope I like the blue second's hand in the flesh.

Are you getting involved, or are you still on the fence?
    I spoke with them and managed to get a better deal than 15% but still on the fence as its a SLA017 I really want as I'm still not sure on the blue seconds hand. I am asked them to contact me when they arrive in store.

I spoke with them and managed to get a better deal than 15% but still on the fence as its a SLA017 I really want as I'm still not sure on the blue seconds hand. I am asked them to contact me when they arrive in store.
    Better than 15%, that sounds excellent, you've got me wishing that I had picked up the phone.

I was looking at SLA017s myself earlier too, there's a chap in Germany who seems to have hoarded quite a few of these limited release Seiko's from the past few years and he's advertising them on eBay. I think he had a couple of the big box SLA017s that came in the large Peli case with Submarine model etc, a special release for the German market, he has them up for 4k euros each with "Make an Offer" enabled, these are new watches. I was half tempted to grab one of those instead.

**Edit that....it's the sla033 he has multiple versions of, the big box 017 is 7,000 euros
    Last edited by woodruffm; 27th October 2020 at 18:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I would buy no Seiko, especially at that price, without handling it in person first.

Their QC in recent years has been far too sloppy.
    you're right about Seiko's poor QC with their dive watches but the SLA's are made to a higher standard. Both of the ones I have handled were spot on for alignment, bezel action, etc. Small sample I know but I don't believe there have been any issues with them?
    seems like the vendor linked on here has a good returns policy as well in case you did have an issue..

This site has the SLA043 and SLA037 side by side; https://oceanictime.blogspot.com/202...rs-sla043.html
    I think the new one has a slightly darker dial than the Hi Beat..

**Edit that....it's the sla033 he has multiple versions of, the big box 017 is 7,000 euros
    Yes I noticed the one with the big box at €7k, it’s totally over priced hence it sitting there forever.

It's the brushed case sides that I really like on the 043. I wasn't sure about the blue seconds hand at first but think it looks good in this photo of a prototype on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQRrpAH...d=n5b1wzx7bj9v

Like bry nylon, I used to have an SLA017 but sold it after a year or so. The bezel alignment was fine but I found the lume application to be a bit rough for a watch of that price. The time keeping was only average at +12 SPD too. That said, it's one of the few watches I've sold and really missed. Apart from losing a mm or two in height, I think the design is pretty perfect. Worth overlooking the minor flaws in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    It's the brushed case sides that I really like on the 043. I wasn't sure about the blue seconds hand at first but think it looks good in this photo of a prototype on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQRrpAH...d=n5b1wzx7bj9v.
    Looking at the imagine I don’t think the colour of the seconds hand is really in fitting with the design or style of the watch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQRrpAH...d=n5b1wzx7bj9v

Like bry nylon, I used to have an SLA017 but sold it after a year or so. The bezel alignment was fine but I found the lume application to be a bit rough for a watch of that price. The time keeping was only average at +12 SPD too. That said, it's one of the few watches I've sold and really missed. Apart from losing a mm or two in height, I think the design is pretty perfect. Worth overlooking the minor flaws in hindsight.
    Thanks for posting the link to the image, that's the best one that I've seen and I think the watch looks great, it's definitely eased my fears regards the blue second's hand.

Just received an image of the SLA043 as it’s now in stock. The blue seconds hand is not as bright as I thought it was going to be.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th October 2020 at 12:31.

Master
    Just received an image of the SLA043 as it’s now in stock. The blue seconds hand is not as bright as I thought it was going to be.

The shade of blue on that dial is quite nice. More prominent than the 149.

Taking it you're pulling the trigger? Would love to see more real life pics.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    The shade of blue on that dial is quite nice. More prominent than the 149.

Taking it you're pulling the trigger? Would love to see more real life pics.

Yes I think with the 20% discount it’s not a bad buy considering what the SLA017 and SLA037 now cost.

Master
    Good it comes with two straps. Do you know if there is a Seiko bracelet you can buy and use on it?

Good it comes with two straps. Do you know if there is a Seiko bracelet you can buy and use on it?

I have no idea although not keen on Seiko bracelets personally so I will not miss it.

Plus a few more images. I am still not 100% sure on the seconds hand.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th October 2020 at 13:31.

Thanks for posting the images, it does look better in real life.

I'd better keep an eye out for the postman over the next couple of days, if the wife answers the door, I'm done for.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Seiko haven't released a bracelet for this or the previous 037 probably because of the new steel compound used for the case on these pieces "Ever-Brilliant Steel."

The 017 bracelet would fit but the steel colour will not match.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Seiko haven't released a bracelet for this or the previous 037 probably because of the new steel compound used for the case on these pieces "Ever-Brilliant Steel."

The 017 bracelet would fit but the steel colour will not match.
    Surely third parties must have some decent alternatives? Strapcode, Uncle Seiko?

I am still not sure on the colour of the seconds hand and cannot help thinking it does not work with the design of the watch.

Mine arrives tomorrow, I'll hold off on peeling any of the stickers until I'm absolutely sure, I think WatchO have a 45 day return policy.

I am still not sure on the colour of the seconds hand and cannot help thinking it does not work with the design of the watch.
    This is the main issue stopping me from ordering, I don't want a gimmicky look on what should be a classic piece.

I was in negotiations with an eBay seller on an 037 in the last couple of days but we couldn't quite agree on a price, I got him down to £4,400 for an unworn watch but still felt nervous of the potential downside.

This 043 is better priced, minus the Hi-Beat movement of course but that is not a deal breaker particularly as it is a thicker movement.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    This is the main issue stopping me from ordering, I don't want a gimmicky look on what should be a classic piece.
    I would not have minded a gold seconds hand like on the SPB149 but the more I look the more I think the seconds hand looks out of place and even cartoonish.

I have to say, I like the pop of colour, but can appreciate that some may find it jarring - especially as the previous model of these didn't have this.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, I like the pop of colour, but can appreciate that some may find it jarring - especially as the previous model of these didn't have this.

Hopefully woodruffm will put up some real world pics tomorrow so we can understand the way the colours work together.

I still suspect the 017 will be the one to have in the future due to it's accurate portrayal of what a 62mas would look like if released today.

I'm very much a classic black diver kind of guy and if you look at my current list of watches and what I've had in the past then you'll see that I definitely have a specific type.

This definitely stretches outside of my comfort zone, but I think that's what I'm looking for, a modern twist wrapped in a classic case, although if it doesn't quite do it for me, I suspect I'll have to hunt down a SLA017.

Some more photos here - the blue dial looks much more vibrant than I expected in some shots:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7B_OmL...=1emca5t8trw17

I'm still not sure how well the seconds hand works with the dial - one to see in person, I think.

Some more photos here - the blue dial looks much more vibrant than I expected in some shots:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7B_OmL...=1emca5t8trw17

I'm still not sure how well the seconds hand works with the dial - one to see in person, I think.
    Unfortunately I do not think it does work for me from those images.

I'm very much a classic black diver kind of guy and if you look at my current list of watches and what I've had in the past then you'll see that I definitely have a specific type.

This definitely stretches outside of my comfort zone, but I think that's what I'm looking for, a modern twist wrapped in a classic case, although if it doesn't quite do it for me, I suspect I'll have to hunt down a SLA017.

Are you still proceeding with your order for the blue Willard? Tempted but think I need to see some real pictures aside from the ones that have been posted to Instagram.

Sorry gents, quick and dirty as I'm in the middle of some demolition work.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Are you still proceeding with your order for the blue Willard? Tempted but think I need to see some real pictures aside from the ones that have been posted to Instagram.
    No I decided not to proceed and I then put all my eggs in one basket with the 043.

Cheers.
    That looks superb.

Master
    Looks great, especially the dial colour (I’m still not sure on the second hand though!)

Master
    Sorry gents, quick and dirty as I'm in the middle of some demolition work.

I think it looks great.. This thread got me going (I thought I was content with my watches!) and I almost bought the 043 myself.. I figured though that it was the 037 I really wanted so made a late night impulse buy.. Will have to flip a few now to pay for it!

I missed the 017 that I let go so it feels good to get this slightly jazzed up version :)
    pity its so gloomy for pictures..

[QUOTE=bry nylon;5572152]I think it looks great.. This thread got me going (I thought I was content with my watches!) and I almost bought the 043 myself.. I figured though that it was the 037 I really wanted so made a late night impulse buy.. Will have to flip a few now to pay for it!

Your 037 looks good, did you pick it up from the Ebay seller MTime?

I was very close to picking it up last week but got a bit nervous on the spend at the last minute with this Omega Snoopy due.

Master
    Nice. Is the 037 a big step up in quality compared to the 017 - movement aside?

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I think it looks great.. This thread got me going (I thought I was content with my watches!) and I almost bought the 043 myself.. I figured though that it was the 037 I really wanted so made a late night impulse buy.. Will have to flip a few now to pay for it!

I missed the 017 that I let go so it feels good to get this slightly jazzed up version :)
    pity its so gloomy for pictures..

Love it, well done that man.

I'm going to give mine a test drive tonight down the pub, I guess that means the stickers can come off.

I can always buy a set of hands for a 017 and have them swapped out in the future if the blue hand begins to grind.

So Kieran, if you now grab yourself a 017, we'll have the full set between us.

Master
    [QUOTE=petay993;5572179]

Your 037 looks good, did you pick it up from the Ebay seller MTime?

I was very close to picking it up last week but got a bit nervous on the spend at the last minute with this Omega Snoopy due.
    yep exactly correct ! I knew it was a bit high/over the top but it was BIN & like new with tags and stickers and seems box fresh. There was another one in Germany that went for around 4 I think with a lot of bids,... But I figured it was not that much more than the 043 at rrp. and the rrp on them new was 5600 I think.. I'm happy with it but I will have to flip a few now to help pay for it.. I don't see these getting cheaper - just wish I had bought Ryan's one a few months back !

Compared to the SLA017 - no it does not feel a great deal different really though I think its shinier because of the different steel.. I love the subtle colour though and don't notice the extra .7 mm thickness..

I would say though that for how the bezel action feels - I think prefer my SLA033, it just feels a bit more solid.. I have stuck it on the time grapher and it's showing +4 dial up so and +3 crown up so quite pleased with that.. I would have been gutted if it was +15 or something like the quoted specs say..
    here is the SLA017 that I sold and missed;

The 033 picked up from SC;

and I'll have to see what will have to go;
    Last edited by bry nylon; 30th October 2020 at 19:06.

Master
    ...and I'll have to see what will have to go
    Tough choices ahead!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I don't mind at all - it's a Crown & Buckle Chevron - they really are my go-to nylon straps at the moment, I love them. Here's the SLA, and the same strap on my SPB149.

may i ask what colour that is please? - can't see a navy chevron on their website.. it looks great on your watches!
    cheers,

Craftsman
    just wish I had bought Ryan's one a few months back !
    It went to a good home!

Congratulations on the new incomings, the dials are subtle but when seen in person you can tell they're special! Enjoy!

Obviously not mine but this is number 1 in the Seiko line up after the original.

Master
    There are 300 black dial versions out with a black date wheel in the latest release...they will be really rare & sought after...

There are 300 black dial versions out with a black date wheel in the latest release...they will be really rare & sought after...
    Yes beams

may i ask what colour that is please? - can't see a navy chevron on their website.. it looks great on your watches!
    cheers,
    Of course you can ask! It's actually grey -"Ston" on their website. https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevr...ble-stone.html

It's grey rather than blue, but still a good match for the dial. Here's a photo in the natural light, taken just now.

Master
    ^^^
    I think I’m going to order a few of those C&B straps, they look great.

What’s the reference for these models? I’ve had a good Google but can’t find mention of them anywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    ^^^
    I think I’m going to order a few of those C&B straps, they look great.

What’s the reference for these models? I’ve had a good Google but can’t find mention of them anywhere.
    I'm going to put my C&B strap on SC shortly. Used for like 3 minutes and not for me.

Those C & B straps do look good.

Master
    Cheers.

I'm going to put my C&B strap on SC shortly. Used for like 3 minutes and not for me.

Thanks. If it was 19mm I’d have taken it.

Master
    [QUOTE=Qatar-wol;5572617]Of course you can ask! It's actually grey -"Ston" on their website. https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevr...ble-stone.html

It's grey rather than blue, but still a good match for the dial. Here's a photo in the natural light, taken just now.

1 x stone and one midnight supreme nato ordered!