closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Audemars Piguet Thread

Question

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Theres a RG code on eBay at -33% off RRP and thats an end user price.
    This one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325521018...3ABFBMwq3eroVi

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A008KB.01.html

Which I make -15.7%, not -33% off MSRP 路*♂️

Or was it another you’d seen on eBay UK?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by verv; 17th May 2023 at 21:28.

Sure. But there is no difference in the Uk RRP for White gold and Rose Codes and all Rose as they are all @ £29,600 MSRP.

But, to be fair and in context, it’s a US seller so one needs to add VAT and import duty for a true landed Uk cost. So it ain’t going to be Uk MSRP -33% as you suggested.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont find the matching RRPs particularly relevant as I was working out the drop. 33% would still be 33% if it was from 10k or 100k.

VAT doesnt affect the fact that some code variants are available at -33% pre owned on a what's out there "right now" search.

Landed prices are sometimes going to differ depending on where in the world people are buying or selling but that doesn't alter the asking prices on the open market. A buyer in the US wouldn't be paying an extra 20%

Cheer up though, they're doing better than Panerai and it just makes them an ok ish pre owned buy if you like them.

Craftsman
    No buying history to get a royal oak , so a person can buy a hard to get royal oak despite never having purchased a watch before from AP, sign me up for a jumbo extra thin and a black ceramic perpetual calendar please .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Question

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    No buying history to get a royal oak , so a person can buy a hard to get royal oak despite never having purchased a watch before from AP, sign me up for a jumbo extra thin and a black ceramic perpetual calendar please .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I did not say that. But if you want spin it a different way that’s fine.

Just out of curiosity, and to provide context, what new AP’s have you bought?

I dont find the matching RRPs particularly relevant as I was working out the drop. 33% would still be 33% if it was from 10k or 100k.

VAT doesnt affect the fact that some code variants are available at -33% pre owned on a what's out there "right now" search.

Landed prices are sometimes going to differ depending on where in the world people are buying or selling but that doesn't alter the asking prices on the open market. A buyer in the US wouldn't be paying an extra 20%

Cheer up though, they're doing better than Panerai and it just makes them an ok ish pre owned buy if you like them.

Ok.

So if you don’t find matching the RRP relevant why are you quoting it? And yet you find just one AP Code for sale in the US at a net selling price (and sorry but VAT and import duty isn’t irrelevant at all?!) that is less than that the Uk MSRP price. But then it’s REAL Uk sale price is irrelevant as it doesn’t fit the narrative…..

Look, I’m not not trying to uphold prices but if there’s flawed logic I’m going to call it and nothing you’ve said has really proven your assertion. Sorry.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Ok.

So if you don’t find matching the RRP relevant why are you quoting it? And yet you find just one AP Code for sale in the US at a net selling price (and sorry but VAT and import duty isn’t irrelevant at all?!) that is less than that the Uk MSRP price. But then it’s REAL Uk sale price is irrelevant as it doesn’t fit the narrative…..

Look, I’m not not trying to uphold prices but if there’s flawed logic I’m going to call it and nothing you’ve said has really proven your assertion. Sorry.
    Is it not obvious?
    When calculating the drop from retail price you need to show the retail price, then the pre owned price, and work out the drop from retail to pre owned to arrive at the -%
    It's called showing the maths.

Initially I went and had a look to see if the -40% was a reasonable approximate figure.
    Hopped on to ebay, hit lowest price first. Went onto AP , checked the retail, ran the figures, satisfied my curiosity.
    Posted a sentence noting findings.
    Did not expect a subsequent bug up my arse over it.

You're "calling" nothing.
    What you're doing is plucking a previously unmentioned variable out of the air such as UK VAT and applying it to a global market because it suits you and brings prices closer to your initial -15% "gotya" relating to an entirely different model.

A -33% used code on the pre owned market isn't an "assertion. It isn't a concept, or an idea, pr a hologram. or a ghost.
    It is quite literally right there.
    It may not be accessible to *you* but its accessible at stated price or below to thousands of buyers.

That said, I'm more than happy to pretend it doesn't exist for the sake of not dealing with the continued fallout of finding a watch on ebay that doesn't suit your parameters for price discussion.

VAT/import is irrelevant.

It's available at that price to anyone. If you incur additional costs that's your business.

Bit like saying there is one in Glasgow but the train ticket is £200 so the price is +200. The price is the price, the cost to you is +200.

Is it not obvious?
    When calculating the drop from retail price you need to show the retail price, then the pre owned price, and work out the drop from retail to pre owned to arrive at the -%
    It's called showing the maths.

Initially I went and had a look to see if the -40% was a reasonable approximate figure.
    Hopped on to ebay, hit lowest price first. Went onto AP , checked the retail, ran the figures, satisfied my curiosity.
    Posted a sentence noting findings.
    Did not expect a subsequent bug up my arse over it.

You're "calling" nothing.
    What you're doing is plucking a previously unmentioned variable out of the air such as UK VAT and applying it to a global market because it suits you and brings prices closer to your initial -15% "gotya" relating to an entirely different model.

A -33% used code on the pre owned market isn't an "assertion. It isn't a concept, or an idea, pr a hologram. or a ghost.
    It is quite literally right there.
    It may not be accessible to *you* but its accessible at stated price or below to thousands of buyers.

That said, I'm more than happy to pretend it doesn't exist for the sake of not dealing with the continued fallout of finding a watch on ebay that doesn't suit your parameters for price discussion.
    Agreed 100%

I wonder if Haywood might comment on the number of grey market dealers he thinks pay VAT on watches they bring in from outside the UK. The fact is, there is a world wide price that is probably fairly flat for most common watches. If you want to go boutique shopping at Watch Club or David Duggan, then they will charge their premium but I bet you could buy a steel daytona brand new at a grey dealer for within 10% of a given price anywhere in the world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Agreed 100%

I wonder if Haywood might comment on the number of grey market dealers he thinks pay VAT on watches they bring in from outside the UK. The fact is, there is a world wide price that is probably fairly flat for most common watches. If you want to go boutique shopping at Watch Club or David Duggan, then they will charge their premium but I bet you could buy a steel daytona brand new at a grey dealer for within 10% of a given price anywhere in the world.
    Not really something on which I can speak with authority, having not dealt in any unworn / grey market watches for years. I was never keen to deal with the trade at the best of times! Like you, I have my concerns about what appears to be going on in some instances, and we've all seen cases like that of Darren Reay, Mark Gibson, Watchtrader etc.

I have a greater fear that there is an almost invisible trade in high value watches taking place over Instagram etc, where high value goods are sold through little more than an anonymous account and mobile phone number. It is not difficult to imagine unacceptable amounts of cash changing hands, VAT, income and tax not being correctly handled etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

I have a greater fear that there is an almost invisible trade in high value watches taking place over Instagram etc, where high value goods are sold through little more than an anonymous account and mobile phone number. It is not difficult to imagine unacceptable amounts of cash changing hands, VAT, income and tax not being correctly handled etc.
    Absolutely this. Read a number of news articles in the Netherlands about exactly this.

Journeyman
    I’ve just picked up my new Steel Code Chrono. I like it a lot. My second AP after getting a RG RO back in the days they could be bought walking off the street!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Here is the code next to my RG RO dual time

Craftsman
    That’s really nice, the dial pattern changes it up massively, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster View Post

Fabulous duo. So different

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Come on now- enough with this bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjEyB73cJbg

Cool

I’ve just picked up my new Steel Code Chrono. I like it a lot. My second AP after getting a RG RO back in the days they could be bought walking off the street!!

Congratulations, that’s just a fantastic dial on the new Steel Chronograph. Enjoy Gavster.

Nice watch snd great duo.

I'm seeing a new AP Royal Oak tourbillon with spiderman on the dial all over social media. This is a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm seeing a new AP Royal Oak tourbillon with spiderman on the dial all over social media. This is a joke, right?
    Saw this too, didn’t they do one with another marvel character last year? (Purple one, no idea on marvel characters…)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nope, no joke.

And the AP-heads have the audacity to whine about a female CEO and "the direction she would take AP in"

That ship has sailed!

If all she does is call the coastguard she's better than the last guy. Might have had a sterling tenure but left with a series of clangers.

Still can't believe he was genuinely turning up to board meetings in cycling shorts. Gross misconduct anywhere else.

Arnold has another watch dedicated to him (3:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtLrmq7TME

Journeyman

One of my favourite codes! I actually prefer it to the dual time RO!

I have just found this thread. My first AP and very impressed. The dial is the highlight and a very comfortable watch to wear

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Beautiful watch Wazza, first class. Strap change is genius too. Pick of the litter for the SS/Ti offshores for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I have just found this thread. My first AP and very impressed. The dial is the highlight and a very comfortable watch to wear

Congrats Wazza, fantastic watch and dial if I do say so myself :-)

Master
    Lovely incoming, Wazza.

Enjoy. The weather certainly helps highlight the brilliant dial.

Bit of a random question to the APROO owners on here. The plots (I think that’s how they’re named) that connect the case to the strap/bracelet, has anyone found a solution to make them sit a bit more straight down vs away from the wrist? My AP RO (39mm) sits beautifully on my wrist but my AP ROO diver (42mm, still trying to convince myself I can just get away with it) strap just pushes away from the wrist slightly making it wear bigger than it would if the plots went straight down or even at less of an angle.

Long shot but wondering if anyone has found a solution or a type of strap that negates this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post

Very jealous! Lovely combination. And good size.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I love the look of this Jumbo:

Has anyone here got a 16202 and could post some wrist shots?
    Are they still impossible to buy at retail price without spending history etc
    and a long wait ?

That’s their Daytona so certainly not getting one off the bat. I would imagine Codes and Offshores would get you up the list along with some PM but I couldn’t see one of those without three+ very decent purchases first. The market isn’t booming though so things can change.

I'm told it's possible to get a Royal Oak with no previous history at AP.

It requires a bit of sucking up though, and some fairly firm commitments to buy other pieces

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I'm told it's possible to get a Royal Oak with no previous history at AP.

It requires a bit of sucking up though, and some fairly firm commitments to buy other pieces

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Unlikely here in the UK as AP House (and their other 2 retail sites) do not play the PP "you need to buy X to get Y" game in my (and with many UK customers I know) experience.

Journeyman
    A friend showed me his AP Chrono and I've started to look tentatively. Need to offload a couple 1st. Is this a fair price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394882401460

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    A friend showed me his AP Chrono and I've started to look tentatively. Need to offload a couple 1st. Is this a fair price?

It takes a brave man to buy an expensive watch on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Especially from a company only incorporated in April 2022

https://find-and-update.company-info...Y/appointments

Personally I’d only buy an older AP (ROO especially) from a recognised bricks and mortar dealer and with warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    As others have mentioned you have to brave to buy off eBay. I have but got a full inspection in person etc before hand and spent quite a bit of time getting to know the seller.
    On this watch
    - for sure bezel has been redone (as is mentioned), but looks like redone at AP.
    - still a mark at 7 by the bolt. There is more expensive damage on the upper side or the top crown protector. Must have been a real bang to damage there
    - the folding clasp on these is notoriously uncomfortable
    - rubber pushers and crown go much glossier after around 5 years
    - main issue. No papers. Means selling it will be tough without huge discount
    - I remember my wooden boxes were a bit lighter colour than this but could be just lighting
    - do not know how cardboard box is in such good condition. I had one from new and it did not look that good after even 10 years.

Have a feeling this was watch only and they have added boxes.

Given all the above would not recommend for a first AP attempt !

Journeyman
    I get the EBay thing, they have an authentication service. That being said It's a London based Bricks and Mortar business and that means I could have it taken to Tallermans for authentication.

I get the EBay thing, they have an authentication service. That being said It's a London based Bricks and Mortar business and that means I could have it taken to Tallermans for authentication.
    Bricks and mortar or not the owner only set up shop April 2022. Would be a no from me.

AP are allegedly going to have their pre-owned offering up and running by year end. I would look at that once live but if you can’t wait there are some trustworthy sellers. Subdial seems to have some APs in.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Bricks and mortar or not the owner only set up shop April 2022. Would be a no from me.

AP are allegedly going to have their pre-owned offering up and running by year end. I would look at that once live but if you can’t wait there are some trustworthy sellers. Subdial seems to have some APs in.
    Cheers.

Try a WTB on here, there’s a couple around the forum, I was offered at least 2 when looking for my ROO diver.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I love the look of this Jumbo:

Has anyone here got a 16202 and could post some wrist shots?
    Are they still impossible to buy at retail price without spending history etc
    and a long wait ?
    Impossible is the right word. It's not even a matter of waiting if you have no spend history.

Journeyman
    I’ve just picked up a green 15510 from the boutique. Very chuffed with it . My main contact at the AP boutique has been brilliant.

Master
    Congrats on that one !
    I am hoping APH come through for me with something similar 😀