closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audemars Piguet Thread

I love Ap's. My first was a 15300 in 2007 which I moved on in 2009. Then got a Diver sold that, then got a 14790 sold that and settled back with another blue dialled 15300 identical to the one I sold back in 2009 but I paid double what I sold the first one for. You'd think I'd live and learn, but I don't. I've just bought another 116600 for £5000 more than I sold one for in 2017. You gotta love this habit/passion/disease.

This is by far the best I have ever or will ever own..... I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I love Ap's. My first was a 15300 in 2007 which I moved on in 2009. Then got a Diver sold that, then got a 14790 sold that and settled back with another blue dialled 15300 identical to the one I sold back in 2009 but I paid double what I sold the first one for. You'd think I'd live and learn, but I don't. I've just bought another 116600 for £5000 more than I sold one for in 2017. You gotta love this habit/passion/disease.

This is by far the best I have ever or will ever own..... I think.
    It’s a stunning watch! One I’d love, one day maybe ....

Journeyman
    Here’s mine. I agree with the comments. Bracelet is amazing when you see it in person. I used to be anti AP but now I love them. I have another incoming tomorrow. I’ll share soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That is stunning to be fair....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    No doubt the green 15202 will be going for silly money and be impossible to get (unless you’re called Lee Westward or Ian Poulter):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/au...al-introducing

I think the YG with green just looks like an AP copy paste of the anniversary Daytona. This year's releases are a bit boring imo but I'm not a customer at that level anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    No doubt the green 15202 will be going for silly money and be impossible to get (unless you’re called Lee Westward or Ian Poulter):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/au...al-introducing
    I was lucky enough to get a golf clinic from Matt Wallace who’s also an AP ambassador and we got talking about his AP deal ( he had RO chronic) and he explained that AP give them a monetary allowance each year and they’re free to choose what they want up to that value.

My favourite was a Ltd edition titanium RO model Darren Clarke wore for a while.

I am with Jamie on this one of all the watches past and present a 15300 ST blue (or any variant) is a sublime watch

similar dimensions of a 15202 but a bit thicker case and bracelet and of course a second hand..

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I am with Jamie on this one of all the watches past and present a 15300 ST blue (or any variant) is a sublime watch

similar dimensions of a 15202 but a bit thicker case and bracelet and of course a second hand..

Great photo's Tim, don't forget the screw in crown too.

Journeyman

I bought this in Selfridges nearly 5 years ago. It’s 39mm which is a great size for me (I wish AP would go back to doing some more 39mm). I’m normally stainless steel only, but I think this watch in Rose Gold is fantastic, it just feels so special when I wear it. It certainly gets noticed as well - I wore it into work once but the attention was a bit too much.

Just got an email that AP will be working with Marvel - expect the ROO Spiderman soon!

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I’ve really got the itch for a RO Chrono and had an appointment at London boutique which got cancelled due to lockdown. However when booking appointment I was questioned by sales rep more than my prospective in laws before I got married...... all just to hopefully buy a watch. Crazy and it’s a game I just don’t like. Only 5-6 years ago I was offered a discount in Selfridges on a RO 41mm..... really regretting not buying then
    I have an appointment next week. What sort of questions did they ask you?

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I have an appointment next week. What sort of questions did they ask you?

Thanks
    They don’t really ask questions, they just chat to you. Everyone at the AP House is great to deal with.

It’s not easy to get the desirable AP models not because they are being difficult, or don’t want to sell them, it’s because they don’t make huge amounts. I believe that they make 44,000 watches a year and last year it was 37,000 due to the virus. Compare that to other companies and they are a very small market.

Master
    I had to go to London with my son yesterday so booked an hour in at the AP House to try some watches on. Same as my previous visit, they were fantastic to deal with, really helpful. They knew I wasn’t there to buy but just to have a look.

Unfortunately the black panther has gone (I think they had 2 or 3) as I was hoping to try it on. They said that they had received a lot of mixed reviews from customers and had a lot of backlash. Some long standing clients saying that the CEO had ruined the brand. Reality is that it’s one watch of limited production and it will probablY rise in value. They are trying to get a couple more as they have a list of buyers!

I tried on the new green diver, the vampire chrono (which I’ve not seen before) and a couple of the 44mm ROO’s that have been discontinued. An hour well spent :-)

Blog Entries
    I had to go to London with my son yesterday so booked an hour in at the AP House to try some watches on. Same as my previous visit, they were fantastic to deal with, really helpful. They knew I wasn’t there to buy but just to have a look.

Unfortunately the black panther has gone (I think they had 2 or 3) as I was hoping to try it on. They said that they had received a lot of mixed reviews from customers and had a lot of backlash. Some long standing clients saying that the CEO had ruined the brand. Reality is that it’s one watch of limited production and it will probablY rise in value. They are trying to get a couple more as they have a list of buyers!

I tried on the new green diver, the vampire chrono (which I’ve not seen before) and a couple of the 44mm ROO’s that have been discontinued. An hour well spent :-)
    Thanks for the update Steve. What were your thoughts of the green ROO green diver? That’s the new version with updated movement? Is the external shape different, I know there were a few aesthetic changes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks for the update Steve. What were your thoughts of the green ROO green diver? That’s the new version with updated movement? Is the external shape different, I know there were a few aesthetic changes.
    Hi Martyn, I’ve never tried on the previous diver so can’t compare from experience. It wore well and felt comfortable for sure. Whether it’s a 23k watch though, I’m not sure, but then again I could say that about most/all watch brands nowadays.

There’s a cover on it to protect it so not the best photo.

The vampire

Though I love blue, a bit too much for me. Discontinued now and the last one they will have. Already sold.

Last edited by Devonian; 30th April 2021 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by jackjack View Post
    Here’s mine. I agree with the comments. Bracelet is amazing when you see it in person. I used to be anti AP but now I love them. I have another incoming tomorrow. I’ll share soon.

Lovely 26331ST there. I’m waiting for mine still.

Journeyman
    Hi Martyn, I’ve never tried on the previous diver so can’t compare from experience. It wore well and felt comfortable for sure. Whether it’s a 23k watch though, I’m not sure, but then again I could say that about most/all watch brands nowadays.

There’s a cover on it to protect it so not the best photo.

The vampire

Though I love blue, a bit too much for me. Discontinued now and the last one they will have. Already sold.

I did pick up the green offshore discontinued version. Not usually my cup of tea but it was very light being ceramic. Definitely one of the biggest pieces.

How did you find the size of the blue Steve?

Blog Entries
    I did pick up the green offshore discontinued version. Not usually my cup of tea but it was very light being ceramic. Definitely one of the biggest pieces.

Sorry mate - but those look huge on your wrist. It could be the way the photo is taken.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

The blue looks massive in the picture I took but when I tried it on it didn’t feel as big as it looks. It felt comfortable. I think the new 43mm will feel quite a bit smaller as they are supposed to be more curved. Looking forward to trying them out soon hopefully.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Sorry mate - but those look huge on your wrist. It could be the way the photo is taken.
    It definitely is massive on my wrist. I’m enjoying it for a bit and it then most likely will let my brother “borrow it” as he is a little larger in stature than me.

Journeyman
    The blue looks massive in the picture I took but when I tried it on it didn’t feel as big as it looks. It felt comfortable. I think the new 43mm will feel quite a bit smaller as they are supposed to be more curved. Looking forward to trying them out soon hopefully.
    I agree with you. I think it being ceramic makes it more bearable. Yes the 43mm will be interesting to see. Can never tell how APs wear until you have them on.

Master
    I agree with you. I think it being ceramic makes it more bearable. Yes the 43mm will be interesting to see. Can never tell how APs wear until you have them on.
    All the signs are the new releases will wear well, so let’s wait and see. Plus there’s more new releases to be announced in the next couple of months.

Enjoy your new watch, looks great :-)

Master
    Still loving my new RO...makes my other watches seem a bit bland. Think this one will be with me for a while

Master
    Interesting that in Wimms latest monthly thread, AP scores very low....two mentions against 100 for Rolex, ranking with the likes of Corum. Whether this tells us much about AP sales, as against TZ interests, I don’t know. But it looks as if the gap between Rolex and the ‘holy trinity’ remains pretty large.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Still loving my new RO...makes my other watches seem a bit bland. Think this one will be with me for a while
    That's such a tidy watch. Looks perfect on the wrist

Blog Entries

Michael. You are torturing me mate!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman

I tried on the 41 and 37 recently.

The 41 for me was the perfect size due to how my wrists are.

Will be going back in to compare it with the overseas soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Interesting that in Wimms latest monthly thread, AP scores very low....two mentions against 100 for Rolex, ranking with the likes of Corum. Whether this tells us much about AP sales, as against TZ interests, I don’t know. But it looks as if the gap between Rolex and the ‘holy trinity’ remains pretty large.
    Rolex apparently makes 800,000 to 1,000,000 watches a year if its true. AP makes 45,000 but last year were down to 37,000. AP prices are probably an average of 3x Rolex prices as a guess?

So the market is far slower in production and far higher in price, so the 2 against 100 seems relative. I know of 4 members here waiting to buy RO's - small production being the wait reason.

Probably tells us more about TZ finances than interests. A steel AP on a bracelet costs almost the same as a gold Rolex on Oysterflex.

A Rolex is much more achievable for many more people.

Rolex apparently makes 800,000 to 1,000,000 watches a year if its true. AP makes 45,000 but last year were down to 37,000. AP prices are probably an average of 3x Rolex prices as a guess?

So the market is far slower in production and far higher in price, so the 2 against 100 seems relative. I know of 4 members here waiting to buy RO's - small production being the wait reason.

Good things are worth waiting for eh Stephen?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Good things are worth waiting for eh Stephen?!
    Definitely Gareth, let’s hope it’s not too much longer :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not familiar with AP much so no idea about availability? I only really know about the coveted jumbo

How easy is it to get the Pink Gold 44mm Offshores??

Master
    Spent some time at the AP House yesterday trying on a few models. Mainly the new ROO’s. Went back today!

I’ll post tomorrow when I’m home.

Nice. Will you post here or in the incoming thread?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice. Will you post here or in the incoming thread?
    Maybe both :-)

SydR
    This is my latest purchase.

A pre-owned Royal Oak Offshore I picked up with box, papers and a fresh service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I love an AP. I’ve had a few divers, but my tastes are moving to a “gentler” design. I think I’m one of the few people that really like the 11.59, in fact, I absolutely love it.

Well make that at least two of us. Everything about the 11:59 is gorgeous (except the date implementation IMHO -- but, one can't have everything).

Never been a fan of the RO (or the "Nauts", or Hublot) -- personal taste thing. I just prefer less metal around my watch face.

However, I do rather like my Huitième -- which I bought new in Hamburg in 1994 (after the launch of RO).

Master

AP ROO 43mm

Here’s my 1st ROO. It’s the new 43mm smoked taupe in black ceramic and steel.

I really love AP and have wanted to add a ROO to my RO. It’s taken a bit to get my head around the price point for a watch on a rubber or leather strap. Also added to that, the Royal Oak bracelet is simply stunning. I imagine that ROO’s are possibly a marmite watch which is fine as I like marmite :-)

We had a couple of days in London sorting out my sons new flat, so I took the opportunity to go to the AP House on Thursday and tried on some fantastic watches including 3 of the new ROO’s. The new Rose Gold, the blue titanium and this one. All 3 were fantastic but for me there was something very special about the dial on this. My photos aren’t the greatest but I will say that none of the pictures I’ve seen anywhere do justice to this dial.

That night I discussed it with my wife and she told me to just go for it, so I decided on the smoked taupe dial. Its so different to anything I own, have owned or probably even seen. Blue is my favourite colour dial and it would have been a safe option as I know I couldn’t go wrong with that dial, but we both agreed that this was the one. I slept on the idea and late yesterday afternoon went to pick it up.

This comes on a light rubber brown strap which I really like. I’m not particularly into black rubber straps but it comes with this as well and I’m not sure if I actually prefer it. I think it goes with the black ceramic bezel. The quick releases strap change is great and takes less than a minute including the buckle change.

This watch had a lot to live up to for me and it did!

I like that. Looks great on you.

Master
    You show exactly the commitment that great brands need from buyers; ‘marmite’ or not is hardly the issue. You get behind what you love. I hope you will get many years of satisfaction from your determination. That watch will always feel special for you. Well done!

Master
    I'm not an AP fan, but I do like that one a lot. Great combo. Hope you enjoy it for many years.

Looks rubbish Stephen

NOT!

Journeyman
    Looks lovely. What is the lug to lug? Just wondering what size wrists it would fit? (I’m very tempted - if it’s possible to get one!!)

That's a lovely piece Stephen.
    Love the fact that the strap options are so interchangeable and alter the appearance of the watch.
    And for one, imo, the sundials are correctly laid out 3 - 6 - 9 :-)

Love a marmite watch and that it won't be for everyone. Great to see watches like this in the forum as this is what makes it such a diverse place to be.

Congratulations- that looks absolutely superb - and the brown rubber strap works really well IMO.

Master
    Thanks all for the comments. It’s really hard to describe just how special the dial looks in person. The comments I’ve read today on the AP forum from those that have seen it seem to conclude the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more ‘smoked’ dials from them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    That's a lovely piece Stephen.
    Love the fact that the strap options are so interchangeable and alter the appearance of the watch.
    And for one, imo, the sundials are correctly laid out 3 - 6 - 9 :-)
    Thanks Tony, the strap options are great (I’ve a grey one coming too) and so simple. The dial layout seems to be perfected on this one. If you’re over my way anytime feel free to message me if you’d like to see it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Love a marmite watch and that it won't be for everyone. Great to see watches like this in the forum as this is what makes it such a diverse place to be.
    Cheers - marmite watches are a great thing :-)

Master
    I also tried that watch on the other day at AP house whilst enquiring about another piece. The dial is amazing and as you say the pics don’t do it justice. Lovely piece enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I also tried that watch on the other day at AP house whilst enquiring about another piece. The dial is amazing and as you say the pics don’t do it justice. Lovely piece enjoy.

How did you find the sizing - these seem a little more ergonomic than the older 44mm ROO chronos. The square pushers in particular were definitely huge on the older ones! And what is price now for the ROOs?