closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audemars Piguet Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    How did you find the sizing - these seem a little more ergonomic than the older 44mm ROO chronos. The square pushers in particular were definitely huge on the older ones! And what is price now for the ROOs?
    Sizing is prefect for me as I mostly wear bigger watches but if you are not used to that it will stand out, but they are sleeker. I didn’t ask the price on that watch as I was trying on the beast 26237ST which is just shy of 30k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think you can see the watch Devonian picked up in the back ground of that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Sizing is prefect for me as I mostly wear bigger watches but if you are not used to that it will stand out, but they are sleeker. I didn’t ask the price on that watch as I was trying on the beast 26237ST which is just shy of 30k!

Thanks! Well with the way Daytona prices are tracking, my 116520 is almost a direct swao at retail price

Master
    I think you can see the watch Devonian picked up in the back ground of that picture.
    Yes that’s it and the rose gold I think. They also just had delivery of the blue titanium. Not totally sure but I believe the black steel came in 1st and was sold and they are yet to receive the grey dial.

Master
    The rose gold was also lovely but £££££

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yes that’s it and the rose gold I think. They also just had delivery of the blue titanium. Not totally sure but I believe the black steel came in 1st and was sold and they are yet to receive the grey dial.
    I think the ceramic bezel really elevates the aesthetic, so the grey dial to me looks better!

Thanks all for the comments. It’s really hard to describe just how special the dial looks in person. The comments I’ve read today on the AP forum from those that have seen it seem to conclude the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more ‘smoked’ dials from them in the future.

Thanks Tony, the strap options are great (I’ve a grey one coming too) and so simple. The dial layout seems to be perfected on this one. If you’re over my way anytime feel free to message me if you’d like to see it :-)
    Cheers Stephen will take you up on that :-)

Anyone regretted an AP? I keep looking at higher end watches and am considering taking the plunge but there is a sneaking feeling in the back of my head that the second I own it I'll never wear it. Combination of not worth it/could have any X, Y and Z instead and comfort level of wearing something worth ~£30k on the wrist mixed with a dollop of "who do you think you are?" Probably the same thoughts I had when I bought my first Rolex.

Two of the contenders attached. Would be interested in the thoughts of the experts. I'm also considering the WG Jumbo Aquanaut in blue but think that may be something I wouldn't be able to get an allocation for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Anyone regretted an AP? I keep looking at higher end watches and am considering taking the plunge but there is a sneaking feeling in the back of my head that the second I own it I'll never wear it. Combination of not worth it/could have any X, Y and Z instead and comfort level of wearing something worth ~£30k on the wrist mixed with a dollop of "who do you think you are?" Probably the same thoughts I had when I bought my first Rolex.

Two of the contenders attached. Would be interested in the thoughts of the experts.
    I certainly don't regret my AP purchase, so much so that I've added another one. I managed to get the silver dial 15500 last September and I love it. I had the choice of that and the panda chrono at the time and found it hard to decide. Coincidentally the blue/silver dial you show in the picture would have been the buy if it had been available. I tried one on last week and its a lovely watch. I'm fairly sure that it will be discontinued this year and revamped next year for the RO anniversary with an open case back. Not official news but makes sense now they have upgraded the gold versions and the ROO's. Your biggest problem will be buying any RO full stop right now. AP only make 45,000 watches a year and last year that was down to 37,000 so they are playing catch up. I think I was lucky to get mine as I had no relationship with the brand and was introduced by someone on the AP site on forums. I think now I'd struggle as demand seems to have soared with AP similar to Rolex and PP.

Watches are a very personal thing and I've owned Rolex, PP, VC and AP and all are really great brands. Right now AP is what I prefer. Others will think differently. The last year has made me see things differently and I'd rather regret the things I've done than the things I've not done - its a bit of a bold choice (especially the Offshore) but turns out an excellent one for me.

Two of the contenders attached. Would be interested in the thoughts of the experts. I'm also considering the WG Jumbo Aquanaut in blue but think that may be something I wouldn't be able to get an allocation for.
    I bought my 15400 new over 8 years ago and for a while used to wear it almost daily. These days since I’ve bought a lot more watches I don’t wear it as much but coincidentally I put it on again this morning and don’t know why I don’t wear it more often.

I tried the WG Aquanaut (in blue and in khaki) and preferred both the proportions and the dial on the SS version. Even so the AP RO feels more special than the Aquanaut. It’s the whole package of the dial and the multifaceted case and bracelet with the combo of textures and how the light catches them which really sets it apart for me. It’s certainly not a decision I have ever regretted.

Thanks guys, will have a chat with the AD and see what happens. I think the RO is better with just the time and date but the chrono doesn't seem too much more and opens up the possibility of a blue dial. White might be the best choice while blue is unobtainable. Thank you.

It’s funny because at the time I could’ve chosen any dial colour including blue with no wait and I went for the silver/white. £8k too at that point 😂

Master
    Thanks guys, will have a chat with the AD and see what happens. I think the RO is better with just the time and date but the chrono doesn't seem too much more and opens up the possibility of a blue dial. White might be the best choice while blue is unobtainable. Thank you.
    Last edited by Devonian; 29th June 2021 at 17:41.

Who are you talking to about buying a new AP?

Getting a 15500 as your first AP purchase will be a bit of a stretch I suspect….and as for a Blue dial….no chance I’d say! The current 41mm ROC (26331) will almost certainly be discontinued this year as Devonian rightly said but still a fantastic AP and ideal first purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Who are you talking to about buying a new AP?

Getting a 15500 as your first AP purchase will be a bit of a stretch I suspect….and as for a Blue dial….no chance I’d say! The current 41mm ROC (26331) will almost certainly be discontinued this year as Devonian rightly said but still a fantastic AP and ideal first purchase.
    The AD told me before they should be able to help as their network have a store so I'm going to try that route fist. I've popped an email over earlier this evening so will see what happens.

If that fails one of my friends has bought some watches from AP House so I might see if I can get an intro there.

If the ROC 26331 is due a refresh with an exhibition caseback it could be worth waiting but that's assuming I even get a look in.

Craftsman
    The best choice for the dial imo.

I hope they actually improve the WR on them next year as part of the anniversary. It's the main thing holding me back now they have open casebacks.

Those pictures really aren't helping. Looks absolutely stunning brand new and the other still looks equally stunning after 8 years.

I know the lack of adjustment is going to wind me up but it won't be a daily so shouldn't be a big deal.

Cool

New AP ROO 43 purchase;

Master
    Stunning watch Gareth - I’m not biased of course :-)

New AP ROO 43 purchase;

Blog Entries
    ^^^^

I need to stop looking at this thread... How is the timekeeping on the new one Gareth??
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Had a 15400 and regretted it. Lots of dial made it look like a dinner plate. Proportions on the chronograph much better aesthetically imo.
    Have had 6/7 offshores both diver and chrono and didnt regret them but sold as my habit of grazing door frames would've ended up costly.
    The diver prices these days are RIDICULOUS. Gone up 10k in the past couple of years on the grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Had a 15400 and regretted it. Lots of dial made it look like a dinner plate. Proportions on the chronograph much better aesthetically imo.
    Have had 6/7 offshores both diver and chrono and didnt regret them but sold as my habit of grazing door frames would've ended up costly.
    The diver prices these days are RIDICULOUS. Gone up 10k in the past couple of years on the grey market.
    Diver prices do seem nuts. I tried to track down the black one which sold a few times on the forum but it was eventually traded outside of TZ. With the Diver pricing that high I think I'd rather lump the extra and go for a regular chronograph even without the exhibition caseback but I think that will be difficult to obtain and pushes me down the Offshore route which isn't my preference. Will see where I end up.

The new seconds hand on the RO collection really reminds of that massive pin you get when you buy an iPhone.

Nice watch the 43mm, I tried one on in the boutique a few weeks ago but couldn’t get my head round the price!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^^^

I need to stop looking at this thread... How is the timekeeping on the new one Gareth??

Thanks Martyn.

Time keeping seems pretty spot on so far but need to get it back on the wrist after 2-3 days off it.

Master
    I was in there last Friday for a malt whiskey with Adam. I’m down for a 15000st (hopefully before Xmas and price rise) but whilst there I tried on this which is amazing. Then again it is 33k I believe. If I went chrono it would be this or the beast, but like others I like the 3 hander ROO

Master
    New AP ROO 43 purchase;

Incredible dial on this watch congratulations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Nice watch the 43mm, I tried one on in the boutique a few weeks ago but couldn’t get my head round the price!
    What did you try on Vince?

What did you try on Vince?

I tried on the same one as Gareth just acquired Fred amongst a few others.

Also got my name down for a 15500.

Incredible dial on this watch congratulations

Cheers Fred.

Which 15500 are you hoping for and how long have you been waiting for Adam to get you one mate?

Question

How so Vince?

What’s your frame of reference for example?

How so Vince?

For a steel watch on rubber albeit a very nice piece.

When compared to a RG Yatchy or WG Daytona in comparison?

All speculative of course..

How so Vince?

I own a ROO Diver (Current RRP £20,400 I think?) and I have friends who own the 40mm RG YM (RRP £21.9k) and the 42mm WG YM (£23.1k).

Assuming one is paying RRP (and for such a relatively small difference) I'd go 'precious metal' every time.

Sure, I get that but to be totally honest here (and I say this as a Rolex collector) you cannot really compare AP to Rolex..........they are easily in a completely different bracket for every metric one could think of.

Can't really compare a (40mm) Daytona to a Royal Oak Offshore (43mm) irrespective of the metal used in my view and I say that as huge Daytona fan/multiple owner. Horses for courses and glad we all see these thibngs differently. Cheers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I own a ROO Diver (Current RRP £20,400 I think?) and I have friends who own the 40mm RG YM (RRP £21.9k) and the 42mm WG YM (£23.1k).

Assuming one is paying RRP (and for such a relatively small difference) I'd go 'precious metal' every time.

Fair play mate.

I'm waiting for the new AP Diver in Khaki (which also has the same interchangeable strap system as my ROO) and feel it is worth all of the £23,000 that it costs and would have it (or any other new model Diver) over the YM 42 (or YM 40 Everose which wears really small for me so I sold mine) even though it is White Gold which is a lovely thing to enjoy wearing.

Fair play mate.

I'm waiting for the new AP Diver in Khaki (which also has the same interchangeable strap system as my ROO) and feel it is worth all of the £23,000 that it costs and would have it (or any other new model Diver) over the YM 42 (or YM 40 Everose which wears really small for me so I sold mine) even though it is White Gold which is a lovely thing to enjoy wearing.

I absolutely get that mate, I have an umpteen (predominantly Rolex but also the AP Diver, Two GS's and a few Omegas) watch collection and if I'm honest the only three watches I wear regularly and really wouldn't want to part with are:
    The RG DD40 (on RG bracelet)
    The WG Sub (on WG bracelet)
    ...and the steel on rubber AP Diver.

(But if I didn't already have so many 'similar style' watches I'd swop my AP Diver for my mates 42mm WG YM in a heartbeat!)

Conclude from that what you will.

Master
    Sure, I get that but to be totally honest here (and I say this as a Rolex collector) you cannot really compare AP to Rolex..........they are easily in a completely different bracket for every metric one could think of.

Can't really compare a (40mm) Daytona to a Royal Oak Offshore (43mm) irrespective of the metal used in my view and I say that as huge Daytona fan/multiple owner. Horses for courses and glad we all see these thibngs differently. Cheers.
    I’m just fed up with the Rolex nonsense hence why I am going down the AP route. Been there done that and have a few left but I wouldn’t chase another, if offered I would buy.

Not too long really. I have been talking and meeting Adam during lockdown. Assuming I was lucky by Xmas I would say that’s about 12 months. I like the black and white 15550st so whatever he can get me first.

Adam is a real nice fella

Master
    I tried on the same one as Gareth just acquired Fred amongst a few others.

Also got my name down for a 15500.
    Did you speak to Adam? Any ideas on timescales? It’s a lovely watch.

Master

As you say all speculative, but personally I just don’t see any comparison. Rolex make very good watches in steel for their RRP. As good as anything that’s out there. However when you see a steel Rolex selling for the price of a 15500 there’s a world apart.

Gold comparison to steel AP is harder to compare. I was offered a RG Yatch, and the WG Daytona (blue dial - the one rumour has it will be discontinued and hence rocket in value so financially I should buy) and the white gold Yatch, earlier this year but went for this:

Is it better value for money than this below? No it’s just different. Both are fantastic in my opinion, but that’s just it . . . It’s an opinion.

As for overall, I’ve been a big fan of Rolex watches for 20 years and will continue to be going forward. As others have said I don’t like the hoops you have to go through to get one, but that’s equally if not more down to us the buyers cresting this bubble. For me though, this takes some beating:

Master
    For those looking for 15500’s, I’d say it won’t be easy right now as demand has soared, but the AP House is the place to go. I had no relationship with them and luckily got mine in September thanks to being given Adam’s details by a chap on Rolex forums. I took a 400 mile round trip up and back in a day to try on some watches and was fortunate.

If you haven’t been in, get in there, introduce yourself and try some watches on. Their hospitality is lovely as are their watches. One thing I’m fairly sure of, if you put ourself out and are patient, they will try and deliver. I’ve got to know a few AP owners a bit now and they all day the same.

I’m just fed up with the Rolex nonsense hence why I am going down the AP route. Been there done that and have a few left but I wouldn’t chase another, if offered I would buy.

Not too long really. I have been talking and meeting Adam during lockdown. Assuming I was lucky by Xmas I would say that’s about 12 months. I like the black and white 15550st so whatever he can get me first.

Adam is a real nice fella

Ditto on the Rolex front mate.

I still believe for their RRP they are some of the best watches out there so I will continue to buy mine, albeit more rationed in the future than before.

But AP are in a different class really. And yes there is still a journey to get to where you want with the brand but they don't encourage multiple purchases ("buy this to get that") and very often you'll be offered something you weren't thinking of at all and you feel compelled to act on it. That's how it was for me with the new 43 ROO and it'll help me (a bit, not a lot) to get the other watches I'd like to own from the brand.

A Blue 15500ST is, I hope/anticipate, my next new AP purchase (and before the new Diver) and with that model you really have to bide your time and it is a rare first purchase in any of the 4 dial colours......take whatever dial is offered bascially!! No more news of a '22 price increase but will keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I absolutely get that mate, I have an umpteen (predominantly Rolex but also the AP Diver, Two GS's and a few Omegas) watch collection and if I'm honest the only three watches I wear regularly and really wouldn't want to part with are:
    The RG DD40 (on RG bracelet)
    The WG Sub (on WG bracelet)
    ...and the steel on rubber AP Diver.

(But if I didn't already have so many 'similar style' watches I'd swop my AP Diver for my mates 42mm WG YM in a heartbeat!)

Conclude from that what you will.
    Cool.

My WG DD 40, with the same Olive dial as your Everose one, is one of my top 5 watches in the collection. Just a stone cold classic, do everything watch.

Can't personally warm to any Rolex YM however. Been offered the YM 42 WG 2-3 times now and each time I get close I just think that whilst there are some nice things about it (never £23k nice however - and terrible residual values as well if you don't bond with it) the bezel is, well, a bit ugly, wide and too big. The matt effect makes any dial (40 or 42) look/wear smaller and as a result it's not for me, but appreciate those that do like them. Would have any AP over any YM every day of the week!

For me the issue with the YM42 is the hour hand. Completely out of proportion Vs the minute hand, bit of a chode, but not something I notice when wearing, only in pictures. I'm guessing the iPhone SIM pin seconds hand on the Royal Oak is the same and I wouldn't even notice it in person.

I only recently got my YM42 so I'm still in honeymoon phase but I have to admit there's no rational way that it's 3x Sub/GMT etc but that's just the law of diminishing returns.

How so Vince?

Did you speak to Adam? Any ideas on timescales? It’s a lovely watch.

No spent some time with Vasoula who was very knowledgeable on the watches but no timescale mentioned Fred.

I’ve got two friends who are watchmakers one for Rolex & one for AP, both would state Rolex are more durable in most situations.

Rolex are a workhorse that you can bang around without too much of a worry.

AP is more of a thoroughbred that I would not be comfortable wearing to do manual jobs regardless of references.

I’ve previously owned a 15300, 15400 & ROO so appreciate the finish & bracelet but always very mindful of banging or marking them.

No spent some time with Vasoula who was very knowledgeable on the watches but no timescale mentioned Fred.

I’ve got two friends who are watchmakers one for Rolex & one for AP, both would state Rolex are more durable in most situations.

Rolex are a workhorse that you can bang around without too much of a worry.

AP is more of a thoroughbred that I would not be comfortable wearing to do manual jobs regardless of references.

I’ve previously owned a 15300, 15400 & ROO so appreciate the finish & bracelet but always very mindful of banging or marking them.

Very good, well balanced post Vince. Would agree with all of those observations but would add that the finish of the latest AP's is still superior to Rolex (as they should be for the money of course....)

Master
    Back on track

Back on track

I need to get my ROO 43 on the black strap this week. Thanks for the reminder Stephen!

The black strap really sets off the dial on that ROO. Very nice

Cool

The black strap really sets off the dial on that ROO. Very nice

Absolutely. Ties in with the ceramic bezel and helps the dial to pop.

Got to try on some watches including some of the new ones so figured I would spam the thread. Excuse the poor pictures.

The gold "Beast" is incredible. Can't believe how much I like it - I think I tried it on 3 or 4 times and didn't want to take it off. The new strap/bracelet changing system is genius and two straps cost less than two Oysterflex sides.

The new green 42mm was really nice and I liked it a lot but it wears like a regular watch on me, not an offshore.

Journeyman
    Got to try on some watches including some of the new ones so figured I would spam the thread. Excuse the poor pictures.

The gold "Beast" is incredible. Can't believe how much I like it - I think I tried it on 3 or 4 times and didn't want to take it off. The new strap/bracelet changing system is genius and two straps cost less than two Oysterflex sides.

The new green 42mm was really nice and I liked it a lot but it wears like a regular watch on me, not an offshore.
    I agree with you. That gold piece hugs the wrist very well has the weigh gives it significant presence on the wrist. If I had bigger wrists I’d consider too.