closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audemars Piguet Thread

Master

Audemars Piguet Thread

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of AP posts on here so I thought I’d start a thread and see what happens - be nice to see photos from owners.

My AP history is as follows. A couple of years ago I posted a thread on here about the blue Royal Oak. Around that time I asked a few questions over on Rolex forums in the AP section. I was kindly given the details of the boutique manager at Harrods and made contact. A few messages and never heard anymore. I went into the boutique in February this year and again said I’d like the blue 15500 or the chrono. It seemed positive. Come July I email and again it’s positive, then a couple of weeks back. Positive response initially but then nothing more on my follow up email. I just thought that was it. Last week I was reading the AP forum and thought I’d ask again - had a pm from a member giving me the phone number of his contact at the AP House in Bond Street. I made the call and had a very positive and helpful chat. I was told that going in would be more advantageous. By now I was also keen on the grey and white 15500 dials. I was told a white dial might be possible very soon, a grey possibly in the next few months and a blue, highly unlikely but it wasn’t totally ruled out.

I’ve been due to go to London for a short meeting and Monday night thought ‘sod it I’ll go tomorrow’. The AP House is a lovely location, service was exceptional and I can only praise the helpful and friendly manner from start to finish. Got to try on a Panda chrono and a 38mm grey chrono.

As to the watch, my pictures don’t do it justice. It is stunning. The quality of the bracelet is incredible - 20 hours of polished hand finishing is clear. I don’t think I’ve ever seen and certainly not owned a watch with a better bracelet. As to the white dial, pictures don’t really tell the story. It shimmers from white to silver and back to white. Everything about this watch is sublime. I have some great watches and this is as good as any, if not better. So glad I didn’t give up!

Journeyman
    Stunning very nice watch I need a new job

Ian there is an AP thread, I think it’s titled the APpreciation thread (am on my phone and the search never works properly).

Nice watch by the way. I have a 15300 AP RO chrono and a ROO Diver (had a 15400 and the AP ROO chrono and another APROO diver in the past).

Master
    I love an AP. I’ve had a few divers, but my tastes are moving to a “gentler” design. I think I’m one of the few people that really like the 11.59, in fact, I absolutely love it.

Here’s mine, on an ABP rubberised calf strap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That experience with the Boutique at Harrods exactly mirrors mine for the 15500.

Ordered one in may 2019 was assured I'd see my watch "well within 12 months" Plenty of follow ups and calls from my side (and have bought from Harrods before) but still feel I am getting fobbed off by them - or at least, feels that way. My contact there said they get one in every "6-8 weeks" and given I was towards the sharp end of the list from when they became a Boutique there it doesn't quite tally. Anyway since then the price went up (natch....) and I'm still waiting......

Well done on getting a decent contact and service to buy yours O/P. Enjoy in good health.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, congrats. I managed to secure a blue Chrono from the AD just before they made these boutique only, the finishing is unbelievable.

Turn 40 next year, would love a 11.59 Chrono but precious metal and price rises mean they are looking pretty steep plus I need to see one in the flesh

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of AP posts on here so I thought I’d start a thread and see what happens - be nice to see photos from owners.

My AP history is as follows. A couple of years ago I posted a thread on here about the blue Royal Oak. Around that time I asked a few questions over on Rolex forums in the AP section. I was kindly given the details of the boutique manager at Harrods and made contact. A few messages and never heard anymore. I went into the boutique in February this year and again said I’d like the blue 15500 or the chrono. It seemed positive. Come July I email and again it’s positive, then a couple of weeks back. Positive response initially but then nothing more on my follow up email. I just thought that was it. Last week I was reading the AP forum and thought I’d ask again - had a pm from a member giving me the phone number of his contact at the AP House in Bond Street. I made the call and had a very positive and helpful chat. I was told that going in would be more advantageous. By now I was also keen on the grey and white 15500 dials. I was told a white dial might be possible very soon, a grey possibly in the next few months and a blue, highly unlikely but it wasn’t totally ruled out.

I’ve been due to go to London for a short meeting and Monday night thought ‘sod it I’ll go tomorrow’. The AP House is a lovely location, service was exceptional and I can only praise the helpful and friendly manner from start to finish. Got to try on a Panda chrono and a 38mm grey chrono.

As to the watch, my pictures don’t do it justice. It is stunning. The quality of the bracelet is incredible - 20 hours of polished hand finishing is clear. I don’t think I’ve ever seen and certainly not owned a watch with a better bracelet. As to the white dial, pictures don’t really tell the story. It shimmers from white to silver and back to white. Everything about this watch is sublime. I have some great watches and this is as good as any, if not better. So glad I didn’t give up!

That is the one I would go for. Love it in white! Congrats and wear in good health.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    That experience with the Boutique at Harrods exactly mirrors mine for the 15500.

Ordered one in may 2019 was assured I'd see my watch "well within 12 months" Plenty of follow ups and calls from my side (and have bought from Harrods before) but still feel I am getting fobbed off by them - or at least, feels that way. My contact there said they get one in every "6-8 weeks" and given I was towards the sharp end of the list from when they became a Boutique there it doesn't quite tally. Anyway since then the price went up (natch....) and I'm still waiting......

Well done on getting a decent contact and service to buy yours O/P. Enjoy in good health.
    Thanks Gareth. My guess is/was a lot of Harrods are from overseas buyers with deep pockets, but with travel restricted I thought chances would be increased. Hopefully though they will come good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Lovely watch, congrats. I managed to secure a blue Chrono from the AD just before they made these boutique only, the finishing is unbelievable.

Turn 40 next year, would love a 11.59 Chrono but precious metal and price rises mean they are looking pretty steep plus I need to see one in the flesh

That stunning Peter and funnily enough that’s the one I asked about initially - apparently they had one recently so I was a couple,e of weeks too late. The panda was very special, so I’m guessing this is as well.

Cheers Stephen

Journeyman
    A magnificent watch! Congratulations.

For what it’s worth, I have never bought a watch from them but I will admit I’ve never found the service in the Harrods AP boutique terribly prompt or friendly. The Vacheron boutique there is much better; they have lovely staff. Of course, I suspect if I spent a great deal of money with the AP boutique that would likely change!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    That watch is simply stunning in white!

Craftsman
    That is lovely Stephen, never seen one in the flesh but they really do look sublime to my eye, and that bracelet is just wonderful.
    Coincidentally I’m off to Riyadh this morning so may keep my eye out..... not that I’ve changed my mind

I think the white/ silver dial is very underrated. As you say it flips colour depending on the light. I actually chose mine over the blue dial back before it was boutique only.

I’ve had the 15400 for nearly 8 years now although more recently I don’t wear it nearly enough. It’s time for a service so once I’ve had that done I’m sure I’ll wear it more regularly again.

Master
    The watch itself doesn’t do much for me, the dial is great, just never been able to get on with the case shape.
    Staggeringly bad service in two posts there though, madness. I wouldn’t be at all impressed by that.

Master
    thats a stunner in silver OP, id prefer it in that config over the blue myself,

mine is a little bulkier, but really like it as well

Master
    Thanks all for the great comments - two days in and I’m really appreciating what high quality this watch is.

Cheers Mick, looking forward to seeing your incoming - I’m sure you’ll be very happy when you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    That is lovely Stephen, never seen one in the flesh but they really do look sublime to my eye, and that bracelet is just wonderful.
    Coincidentally I’m off to Riyadh this morning so may keep my eye out..... not that I’ve changed my mind
    Funny you say that, blue is my favourite colour and they let me try on a blue 15500 (already allocated) and I’d have thought 100% blue beforehand, but I’d actually be torn if both had been available.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

Blog Entries
    That white is amazing. Rivals my VC 4500 - it would be interesting to compare and contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

I recognise that one!! Looking good my friend!

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That white is amazing. Rivals my VC 4500 - it would be interesting to compare and contrast.
    Martyn.
    Well Martyn, since you asked . . . . .

My wife actually compared them an hour ago as she was curious. My photography skills are quite poor, so you’ll have to use some imagination, but I’d be hard pressed to give a definitive answer. The AP bracelet is the most incredible one to look at so in theory that should win. However it’s not as smooth as the VC’s and doesn’t have the leather and rubber options included as standard. The dial of the AP is again incredible - it shimmers from white, to silver and back again in a single wrist turn. In theory it should win easily. However the VC blue is something you have to see in the flesh to understand. No pictures do it justice. Price wise they are similar. The VC used to be easily available and at a discount, not anymore from what I can gather. Quality of build, both extremely high. If pushed, I would probably unfairly pick the AP today, but that’s because i’ve just got it. Reality though the VC strap options make it the most versatile watch I’ve ever owned so I’m going to say it’s a draw!

Next time you’re in Wolfardisworthy I’ll show you :-)

Question

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

Was the Grey dial a contender for you? And if you didn't have the VC would the Blue dial 15500 appeal more perhaps?

It is the Blue dial 15500 I am waiting for but "may" consider the grey or silver as an alternative here. Thanks.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    A magnificent watch! Congratulations.

For what it’s worth, I have never bought a watch from them but I will admit I’ve never found the service in the Harrods AP boutique terribly prompt or friendly. The Vacheron boutique there is much better; they have lovely staff. Of course, I suspect if I spent a great deal of money with the AP boutique that would likely change!

Snap!

As Stephen said it would appear they are more tuned into their Billionaire clients than hoi polloi watch fans!

Master
    Interesting question as the blue is what I originally wanted but didn’t actually think I’d get one, as I’ve no history with AP. I tried a smaller grey dial chrono (38 mm maybe?) and the grey was nice but didn’t compare to the white. I might be being unfair as on a smaller dial with chrono functions it’s not as legible as it would be on the 15500. As for the blue, it’s my colour so it’s easy to say it really does look great - greater than the white? Not sure. The white has to be seen. Problem with the blue is like with the 5711, blue sky and this one, you know it’s worth a lot more than RRP so does that make us like it more than we should? If that makes sense?

What I will say is that The AP 15500 is an amazing watch full stop. You’d be very happy with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Thanks for the reply Stephen.

Was the Grey dial a contender for you? And if you didn't have the VC would the Blue dial 15500 appeal more perhaps?

It is the Blue dial 15500 I am waiting for but "may" consider the grey or silver as an alternative here. Thanks.

Master
    Great purchase and good colour choice.

I was offered a grey dial early this year...i didn't go for it as felt the legibility wasn't great. Doesn't seem you will have those problems on yours by looking at the pictures?

This thread also reiterates my desire for the VC!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the comparison again when you have had the AP a little longer and out of honeymoon period!

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I think the white/ silver dial is very underrated. As you say it flips colour depending on the light. I actually chose mine over the blue dial back before it was boutique only.

I’ve had the 15400 for nearly 8 years now although more recently I don’t wear it nearly enough. It’s time for a service so once I’ve had that done I’m sure I’ll wear it more regularly again.

Love this one! Definitely on my list to own at some point! Currently got a few Rolex (am I allowed to speak such words on this thread?!) but definitely been getting more and more into APs as of late

S

Interesting question as the blue is what I originally wanted but didn’t actually think I’d get one, as I’ve no history with AP. I tried a smaller grey dial chrono (38 mm maybe?) and the grey was nice but didn’t compare to the white. I might be being unfair as on a smaller dial with chrono functions it’s not as legible as it would be on the 15500. As for the blue, it’s my colour so it’s easy to say it really does look great - greater than the white? Not sure. The white has to be seen. Problem with the blue is like with the 5711, blue sky and this one, you know it’s worth a lot more than RRP so does that make us like it more than we should? If that makes sense?

What I will say is that The AP 15500 is an amazing watch full stop. You’d be very happy with any of them.
    Thank you for the insight.

I’ll wait for the blue I guess....

Master
    A few different options if you want a blue dialled AP 
    This one a bit more of a beast !

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Now that’s a tank! How big is that one??

S

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Now that’s a tank! How big is that one??

S
    It’s 44.
    It’s big but wears really well (pic distorts the sizing a bit) which it needs to as it’s not the lightest.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post

Nice but I’ve done the AP ROO thing with a RB 2 that I never should have sold!

Congratulations Stephen.
    Suits your wrist perfectly.
    You are certainly on a roll

Journeyman
    Lovely watch. I really fancy a 15500 in blue or grey. There's not an AD anywhere near me and I wonder whether the waitlists are any better outside of London. Do you need 'history' with AP to be able to get in the queue and what is a realistic lead time?

Craftsman
    Here's mine.

Picked it up 12 months ago, boy have prices moved since then.

Last edited by Van Diemen; 5th October 2020 at 16:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjd View Post
    Lovely watch. I really fancy a 15500 in blue or grey. There's not an AD anywhere near me and I wonder whether the waitlists are any better outside of London. Do you need 'history' with AP to be able to get in the queue and what is a realistic lead time?
    Blue dial watches are now boutique only, for RO models.

I’m not sure on the buying history angle, I suspect it would help, but if you’re slapping £20k down on a watch it might not be as problematic, albeit desirable models might have a long wait

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Blue dial watches are now boutique only, for RO models.

I’m not sure on the buying history angle, I suspect it would help, but if you’re slapping £20k down on a watch it might not be as problematic, albeit desirable models might have a long wait

Many thanks!

I have two AP in my collection - 15400 bought from Harrods

and the Ltd Edition ceramic bought from a European AP boutique

Here’s one of mine, the “slightly smarter than a ROO diver”;

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Congratulations Stephen.
    Suits your wrist perfectly.
    You are certainly on a roll
    Thanks Tony . . . . . Next time you’re passing :-)

Some lovely watches above - I’ve discovered the quality of AP is quite special!
    Last edited by Devonian; 7th October 2020 at 11:20.

Banned

Audemars Piguet Thread

This is my grail watch, it ticks every box, iconic AP shape, salmon dial and extra thin. the problem is it’s almost impossible to source from an AD and like most popular models has to be sourced from a grey dealer at a huge premium.

Attachment 18352

Master
    Got mine on tonight standing in the freezing cold at my lads football training, as been said earlier the quality of the watches is absolutely second to non

Thanks Tony . . . . . Next time you’re passing :-)

Some slovenly watches above - I’ve discovered the quality of AP is quite special!
    Will do
    Have you still got all your pieces?
    Did you get the Blancpain?

Master
    I ordered the BP and paid a deposit but they couldn't get it at the time due to production delays with lockdown I guess.

I swapped my white sky for a blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Will do
    Have you still got all your pieces?
    Did you get the Blancpain?

Master
    Gratuitous 14790ST pic...

I ordered the BP and paid a deposit but they couldn't get it at the time due to production delays with lockdown I guess.

I swapped my white sky for a blue.
    I did wonder what had happened to the white one.

Any Edward Piguets still on the forum?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Here's mine.

Picked it up 12 months ago, boy have prices moved since then.

Nice shot!

Just a quick n dirty AP RO diver, the other AP in my collection.

Master
    Some great AP’s here. A couple of months in now and the quality of the whole watch is outstanding, especially the bracelet, that’s on another level altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Here’s one of mine, the “slightly smarter than a ROO diver”;

They don't make 'em like that anymore! Absolutely stunning.

Master
    It sure if this has been posted anywhere but there’s a price increase coming in January.

Master
    At an AP zoom meeting a few weeks ago, they told us their website was being totally updated. Appears it’s happened today. Some good changes, but a few teething problems that I’m sure will be ironed out:

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/en/home.html

Also new releases announced today including a variety of green dials - on various RO’s.

I’ve really got the itch for a RO Chrono and had an appointment at London boutique which got cancelled due to lockdown. However when booking appointment I was questioned by sales rep more than my prospective in laws before I got married...... all just to hopefully buy a watch. Crazy and it’s a game I just don’t like. Only 5-6 years ago I was offered a discount in Selfridges on a RO 41mm..... really regretting not buying then