closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Audemars Piguet Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    AP have indeed clearly decided Boutique is the future and control all supply……if your based 250+ miles away thats a lengthy day / night trip to Londinium..

I recently made the trip as i made an appointment to look at models that took my fancy and to see what fitted my smaller / medium wrist to add to an older 2000’s RO which i love ….

The boutique is for those who have visited quite unique and nothing like an AD experience…no watches on display …

My appointment was a 1 hour interview about my watch history to date and featured heavily on awareness of how exclusive AP was right now how many multiples they were selling for on the secondhand market, then it was explained to me how the process of allocation worked and how it involved any individuals case including my own as an existing AP owner being put by the Senior Sales Executive to a panel including the U.K. Director before a purchase was considered or permitted….

From memory each of the Senior Executives do approximately 50 interviews a week X 2 executives so 100 weekly roughly 50000 a year so its not hard to work out the slim probability of being fortunate enough to be ‘the chosen one’….

I then asked to try on some watches (Jumbo, ROO, ROC) but sadly they had non in stock as everything sold..

Demand has clearly gone through the roof whilst at the same time reducing the number of sales points dramatically meaning the Boutique is juggling enquiries vs supply & demand..

New 50th models are nice but i fear winning the Omaze House might be easier right now…

If Liz Trusssttt Me puts sanctions on Russian nationals being able to make purchases on New Bond Street it may just slightly increase my odds

I went home a mixture of puzzled, saddened, dejected, poorer and dare i say feeling a bit well unworthy….which is a shame as I love AP’s creations and history..

It can’t be easy for anyone working at either an AP, PP or Rolex AD constantly having the same repetitive conversation or dealing with hundreds of emails mainly surrounding the word ‘No’..

Increasingly they are in a way turning passionate fans of their products into the hands of the competition such as IWC / Omega / Tudor etc who can accommodate an order..

But ‘First world’ problems …..
    Oh gosh, sounds horrid!

AP have indeed clearly decided Boutique is the future and control all supply……if your based 250+ miles away thats a lengthy day / night trip to Londinium..

I recently made the trip as i made an appointment to look at models that took my fancy and to see what fitted my smaller / medium wrist to add to an older 2000’s RO which i love ….

The boutique is for those who have visited quite unique and nothing like an AD experience…no watches on display …

My appointment was a 1 hour interview about my watch history to date and featured heavily on awareness of how exclusive AP was right now how many multiples they were selling for on the secondhand market, then it was explained to me how the process of allocation worked and how it involved any individuals case including my own as an existing AP owner being put by the Senior Sales Executive to a panel including the U.K. Director before a purchase was considered or permitted….

From memory each of the Senior Executives do approximately 50 interviews a week X 2 executives so 100 weekly roughly 50000 a year so its not hard to work out the slim probability of being fortunate enough to be ‘the chosen one’….

I then asked to try on some watches (Jumbo, ROO, ROC) but sadly they had non in stock as everything sold..

Demand has clearly gone through the roof whilst at the same time reducing the number of sales points dramatically meaning the Boutique is juggling enquiries vs supply & demand..

New 50th models are nice but i fear winning the Omaze House might be easier right now…

If Liz Trusssttt Me puts sanctions on Russian nationals being able to make purchases on New Bond Street it may just slightly increase my odds

I went home a mixture of puzzled, saddened, dejected, poorer and dare i say feeling a bit well unworthy….which is a shame as I love AP’s creations and history..

It can’t be easy for anyone working at either an AP, PP or Rolex AD constantly having the same repetitive conversation or dealing with hundreds of emails mainly surrounding the word ‘No’..

Increasingly they are in a way turning passionate fans of their products into the hands of the competition such as IWC / Omega / Tudor etc who can accommodate an order..

But ‘First world’ problems …..
    Was this at AP House?

It’s interesting reading, almost seems a bit surreal, no watches and basically being interviewed about your suitability for a watch that they don’t really want to sell you

I wonder how they select people, presumably they are looking for people who will be buying multiple watches from them and by the sounds of things also already own an AP? So you’ve got to go grey or preowned first

I’d guess they suss you out pretty quick, the guys going in with millions to spend probably aren’t jumping through hoops to be told no after an hour

How was it left with them?

Master
    Good God
    Sounds horrific.
    Crazy world .

Blog Entries

Hell's teeth, that is crazy.

I suspect that "Well, I quite like Casios" is not likely to be a winning answer.

That kind of 'exclusivity' is very offputting to my mind.

Master
    It would be a shame if this thread goes the way of most Rolex threads nowadays because of the way demand has rocketed widely beyond what any watch company could have ever foreseen or planned. With Rolex it’s been building for 4 or 5 years, Patek (Nautilus and Aquanaut) similar but AP probably only the last 18 months.

I say 18 months as I managed to get a RO in September 2020 with no history. I asked on the AP section of TRF for some advice as I wasn’t getting anywhere with Harrods AP. I’m given a couple of names and call one of them. Pleasant chat for half an hour. They told me they couldn’t promise me anything but next time I’m in London to pop in and meet them. I made a decision to go up the next week and was lucky enough to try on the panda chrono and silver dial. I also tried on the blue dial (already sold) and a couple of offshores. I bought the silver dial. It was as straight forward as that and they were great to deal with. I’ve since been up maybe 3 or 4 times and tried on various watches. I could have bought the khaki diver earlier last year and managed to buy the taupe ROO in the summer. I’ve noticed each time though thst there’s been less stock to even try on, let alone buy. The market has changed like it has with Rolex and Patek. AP make around 43,000 from what I’ve been told. In 2020 they made 37,000 because of the factory shut down in covid - that’s over 10% less than they normally do, so as well as playing catch up from then, they have probably seen demand multiple 10 fold in a year. Back in January last year I went on the list for a jumbo. I was told to expect a 2 to 3 year wait. After it was discontinued as the 15202 I realised any new one would be nigh on impossible.

There’s 3 or 4 AP models that I’d like to get and if I get 1 of them I’ll be very happy, but I’ve no idea whether that will happen in 1 year or 5 years, or ever. They simply don’t make enough watches to supply everyone that wants them. They probably could sell them 20 times over right now. If they did supply them, demand would die a death and then no one would want them. We all know that deep down. It’s frustrating when you’re a genuine watch enthusiast, even more so when you see grey dealers selling them for silly money. That’s the world though right now - AP, Rolex, PP, houses, high end cars, actually any cars. It’s easy to have a go at them but that’s the market. Play it, or don’t play it, accept it or don’t accept it, but it’s not likely To change for a while.

Hi Devonian…

Not having a ‘go’ the staff were very pleasant particularly given the groundhog day they must be experiencing…

I am a loyal fan current AP owner and agree demand massively outstripping supply which as i said must be a pain to deal with….

I too would like to build a nice collection but as you say current climate that sadly looks improbable.

You have been fortunate I think your timing was right, today from my latest experience demand has gotten even greater…

Fab watches…..

Master
    Hi Devonian…

Not having a ‘go’ the staff were very pleasant particularly given the groundhog day they must be experiencing…

I am a loyal fan current AP owner and agree demand massively outstripping supply which as i said must be a pain to deal with….

I too would like to build a nice collection but as you say current climate that sadly looks improbable.

You have been fortunate I think your timing was right, today from my latest experience demand has gotten even greater…

Fab watches…..
    Hi mate

No I didn’t think you were having a go, just looking at the responses to your post, could see the ‘I’m not paying the game’ coming which is on just about anything to do with Rolex. It’s a massive shame for watch people that the market is what it is. Not a lot we can do about it.

You’re right, my timing was very fortunate, pure luck as it happened and yes AP staff are always very pleasant, considering that they can’t deliver to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    https://instagram.com/prestigia_t?utm_medium=copy_link

Respectfully, I don't think you move in the same circles as these guys. I think the allocation of watches coincides with the movement of cash in the opposite direction.

Respectfully, where’s the proof of your assertion please? There are plenty of grey dealers on Instagram but it doesn’t mean they are in cahoots with Boutiques or AD’s at all.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 29th January 2022 at 16:25.

Hi Devonian…

Fab watches…..

I know that AP House have taken on more staff but it is never going to be enough to cope with the insane demand. All the customer facing staff there have to spend a lot of time weeding out the genuine buyers/enthusiasts and then try to allocate watches in way that’s fair……but given demand vs. supply it’s going to be a case of more bad news then good and it’s elitism but just the way things are. And I don’t see it getting any easier anytime soon so one plays the game and be patient……or walk.

Neither is ideal but it’s just the way it is and complaining won’t change anything either!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Hi mate

No I didn’t think you were having a go, just looking at the responses to your post, could see the ‘I’m not paying the game’ coming which is on just about anything to do with Rolex. It’s a massive shame for watch people that the market is what it is. Not a lot we can do about it.

You’re right, my timing was very fortunate, pure luck as it happened and yes AP staff are always very pleasant, considering that they can’t deliver to most people.
    Are you having a laugh ?
    The hour long fireside chat TKH was subjected to is a bit like an interview to get into Muirfield Golf Club.
    What's next?
    Anyone already a member of the AP club can blackball you if you are not a suitable candidate.
    Total bollocks where people are deemed worthy enough to buy a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Are you having a laugh ?
    The hour long fireside chat TKH was subjected to is a bit like an interview to get into Muirfield Golf Club.
    What's next?
    Anyone already a member of the AP club can blackball you if you are not a suitable candidate.
    Total bollocks where people are deemed worthy enough to buy a watch.
    No I’m not having a laugh. It’s like it everywhere - Rolex, PP, Porsche, Ferrari. Easier not to worry about it then get annoyed.

Master
    A post on another thread on here made me look more closely at my offshore dial. It’s really quite stunning. My photography skills are less than zero and truth be told I have a balance issue and can’t keep my hand still without shaking slightly, so I’ll never do it justice. All the same I find the dial fantastic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    God, I remember back in 2017 waking in to Owen and Robertson and walking out with a black 15400 that was sitting in the window.
    Sold it a year later as was a bit worried about wearing 14k on my wrist.

Im fortunate these days I suppose as I like the offshores which seem to be less mental.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    God, I remember back in 2017 waking in to Owen and Robertson and walking out with a black 15400 that was sitting in the window.

Im fortunate these days I suppose as I like the offshores which seem to be less mental.
    I’ve also sold a few watches that have also gone crazy since and as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. I look at it as I did what was right for me at the time and try not look back, as there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve also been fortunate with other decisions so it probably all balances out in the long run and the main thing is, I’ve been able to own and try some great watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve also sold a few watches that have also gone crazy since and as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. I look at it as I did what was right for me at the time and try not look back, as there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve also been fortunate with other decisions so it probably all balances out in the long run and the main thing is, I’ve been able to own and try some great watches.
    Wasn't quite my angle as I can pretty much guarantee that if I sell something the price subesquently rockets but imagine walking into a shop and out with a RO now!

Master
    Wasn't quite my angle as I can pretty much guarantee that if I sell something the price subesquently rockets but imagine walking into a shop and out with a RO now!
    Sorry misread what you were saying. Yes it would be impossible I’d imagine. Getting the new divers almost impossible too. Offshores going that way and even the codes are harder to get. Very few places you can even buy an AP now.

Fantastic pic Devonian, really shows how interesting the dial is. Must look superb in natural light.

I'm registered but if I'll get one is anyone's guess. Find out one day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fantastic pic Devonian, really shows how interesting the dial is. Must look superb in natural light.

I'm registered but if I'll get one is anyone's guess. Find out one day.
    It was your link of Nop’s pictures that made me look.

How did you get on at the AP House? Did they have any of the new models there to see?

It was your link of Nop’s pictures that made me look.

How did you get on at the AP House? Did they have any of the new models there to see?
    Yes and no. Some, not loads. Didn't see anything 50th anniversary as I was there just for the Offshore.

Was shown a 42 Offshore, a 43 Offshore and a Code. 42 Offshore looked and wore a lot smaller Vs the 43. Surprised me. Went down for the same one as you but tried on a different version for size. Ceramic bezel is great as I know I'll battle it inside a week and then cry my eyes out. Shame I'm late to the party or I could have maybe gone for a 44mm.

Can't share pics on Tapatalk at the moment but the two offshores I tried on are these.

42: 26238TI.OO.A056CA.01
    43: 26420SO.OO.A002CA.01

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes and no. Some, not loads. Didn't see anything 50th anniversary as I was there just for the Offshore.

Was shown a 42 Offshore, a 43 Offshore and a Code. 42 Offshore looked and wore a lot smaller Vs the 43. Surprised me. Went down for the same one as you but tried on a different version for size. Ceramic bezel is great as I know I'll battle it inside a week and then cry my eyes out. Shame I'm late to the party or I could have maybe gone for a 44mm.

Can't share pics on Tapatalk at the moment but the two offshores I tried on are these.

42: 26238TI.OO.A056CA.01
    43: 26420SO.OO.A002CA.01
    It’s funny as you’re right the 42 does seem a lot smaller and to me the 44’s seem a lot bigger, though there’s only 1 or 2 mm difference.

Great you could at least try on a 43 - I like that model as well.

They were (are) a great AD to deal with and they unfortunately lost the franchise before I could get my 15400 in 2018. 6 months on the 15500 came out to replace it.

Love my ROO 43 and as Devonian says the dial is incredible, even more so in the sun.......

Or whilst having a cool pint;

It’s funny as you’re right the 42 does seem a lot smaller and to me the 44’s seem a lot bigger, though there’s only 1 or 2 mm difference.

Great you could at least try on a 43 - I like that model as well.

My own Diver (42mm) wears very nicely I find;

Whereas the ROC 41 works well too;

Master
    5% more diameter but 10% more watch - Pi r squared and all that!

Craftsman
    AP is my favourite brand, but the boutique just told me straight that I'd never get the watch I wanted (SS Openworks) in my lifetime from them. They only get 2 a year in the UK IIRC.

So I bought it on the grey market last year. Paid a lot more, but am very happy that I did as it was (and still is) my grail.

I actually appreciated the boutique's honesty. Saved me a lot of waiting and wondering.

Audemars Piguet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I actually appreciated the boutique's honesty. Saved me a lot of waiting and wondering.
    I totally agree with that. It's the not knowing and wondering which is the worst part. Even if it's a no, I would rather be told.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 19th February 2022 at 00:41.

Master
    AP is my favourite brand, but the boutique just told me straight that I'd never get the watch I wanted (SS Openworks) in my lifetime from them. They only get 2 a year in the UK IIRC.

So I bought it on the grey market last year. Paid a lot more, but am very happy that I did as it was (and still is) my grail.

Quite right.
    Cut to the chase.
    Would depend how much the overs were on the watch for me but good decision.

Great post.

I’m really not a fan of skeleton/open worked watches per se but the RO 15407 is just an incredible piece. I have 2 clients of my business that have one and in both cases it is one of their top 1/2 watches in an impressive collection.

Thanks for also confirming what I’d shared previously with just how rare these genuinely are in the Uk market.

And yes, whilst it was a tough conversation with the boutique their openness/honesty gave you the impetus to get out there and buy what is just an incredible piece that I’m sure you enjoy every time you look at it on your wrist.

Salut.

The 15407st has literally doubled in asking price in the last year or so but if there are as few as two coming into the UK per year, perhaps they are still undervalued at 200k?

I also don't understand how so many grey dealers have so many of them?

The 15407st has literally doubled in asking price in the last year or so but if there are as few as two coming into the UK per year, perhaps they are still undervalued at 200k?

Yes, market has spiked in the last year.

Just out of interest where are you seeing “so many” please?

Trotters had two in the same "story" this week. Another account which I cannot find now posted two steel and one rose the other day. Pacha chap in Hatton garden always has one on his wrist. There are others

Not many (any?) Showing in UK on C24 but I suspect you could find several to buy in the UK if you were prepared to pay enough money.

I read something recently that was along the lines of a watch is not rare if all you need to acquire it is money.

Master

Yep that’s my understanding also that they only get a couple a year, so even if you’re one of their long standing VIP clients you’re extremely unlikely to get one, as they just don’t have them. Like you say though, it’s far better that they have told you that so you’re not hanging around, popping in, sending messages etc in the false hope you’ll get one. It would be so much simpler to know that and mentally move on to something else.

Anyway congrats on getting your grail, it’s an amazing watch :-)

Blog Entries
    Such honesty is rare nowadays in commerce. Good for them.

Smile

Trotters had two in the same "story" this week. Another account which I cannot find now posted two steel and one rose the other day. Pacha chap in Hatton garden always has one on his wrist. There are others

Not many (any?) Showing in UK on C24 but I suspect you could find several to buy in the UK if you were prepared to pay enough money.

I read something recently that was along the lines of a watch is not rare if all you need to acquire it is money.

Didn't know Del and Rodney had moved in the Grey watch market......

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

When I was looking for mine, I found the answer to that question. Most for sale on Chrono are not real. Traders just speculatively putting them up a bit under market price, and if they get a buyer they try and secure one on the trader networks. Then they tell the buyer they can get it, but it costs a "bit" more.

The old "bait and switch".

Craftsman
    Yep that’s my understanding also that they only get a couple a year, so even if you’re one of their long standing VIP clients you’re extremely unlikely to get one, as they just don’t have them. Like you say though, it’s far better that they have told you that so you’re not hanging around, popping in, sending messages etc in the false hope you’ll get one. It would be so much simpler to know that and mentally move on to something else.

Anyway congrats on getting your grail, it’s an amazing watch :-)
    Thanks, yes, I love it as much today as the first time I saw it. Even paying the grey price, it is worth every penny compared to every other at the same price. At least to my eyes.

Thanks, yes, I love it as much today as the first time I saw it. Even paying the grey price, it is worth every penny compared to every other at the same price. At least to my eyes.

Respect to you JasH.

Incredible reference and it’s only ever going to give you so much pleasure and enjoyment. Great investment too as these are stone cold monetary retention watches.

Enjoy.

When I was looking for mine, I found the answer to that question. Most for sale on Chrono are not real. Traders just speculatively putting them up a bit under market price, and if they get a buyer they try and secure one on the trader networks. Then they tell the buyer they can get it, but it costs a "bit" more.

The old "bait and switch".

Absolutely.

Same applies for fantasy/Disney Instagram posters that he seems to be a big fan of apparently……

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Absolutely.

Same applies for fantasy/Disney Instagram posters that he seems to be a big fan of apparently……
    Would you like some vinegar with your saltyness?

https://instagram.com/localkettlebro...dium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU7GDWzr...dium=copy_link old pic, granted

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRWC_BAl...dium=copy_link

There are lots more.

Maybe these are the same two watches being passed around which come into the UK each year and are only sold to AP's most important clients who clearly have a need to flip them on their way out of AP's house.

Craftsman
    Respect to you JasH.

Incredible reference and it’s only ever going to give you so much pleasure and enjoyment. Great investment too as these are stone cold monetary retention watches.

Enjoy.
    Thank you kindly :)

Red face

Newly arrived this week......but, oh my, this dial is just the best!

Finishing is simply exquisite and I couldn't be any happier to have this on my wrist at last;

Master

Finishing is simply exquisite and I couldn't be any happier to have this on my wrist at last;

Lovely stuff Gareth

Master

Congrats Gareth, stunning watch indeed :-)

Very nice, congrats indeed.

Craftsman
    I have a hankering. Due to being abroad do not have the luxury of trying one on. How do the offshore chrono compare on the wrist to the Submariner/ seadweller or the deepsea. Seadweller 4k fits me perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post
    I have a hankering. Due to being abroad do not have the luxury of trying one on. How do the offshore chrono compare on the wrist to the Submariner/ seadweller or the deepsea. Seadweller 4k fits me perfectly.
    Similar to the 43mm SD.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Would you like some vinegar with your saltyness?

https://instagram.com/localkettlebro...dium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU7GDWzr...dium=copy_link old pic, granted

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRWC_BAl...dium=copy_link

There are lots more.

Maybe these are the same two watches being passed around which come into the UK each year and are only sold to AP's most important clients who clearly have a need to flip them on their way out of AP's house.
    UK allocation means pretty much FA on the grey market. They can be called in from anywhere. Lots in Asia and USA.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Ok, not on the wrist shot but this will give you a bit of an idea mate;

Left to right......AP Diver 42mm/Rolex DSSD "James Cameron" 44mm and AP ROO Chrono 43mm.

Broadly speaking, they will wear about the same as a Rolex SD43 but the SD4000 certainly wears smaller than all of the watches mentioned here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Lovely stuff Gareth

Cheers Fred mate, hope you're keeping well?

Congrats Gareth, stunning watch indeed :-)
    Thank you, I'm really delighted with it.