closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles

Master

Electric vehicles

In the verge of signing at a really good deal on a fully electric smart car four two 18.1% of p11d over two years so happy with that but I’m keen to know if anyone has an electric vehicle how they charge there’s and if you have had a dedicated charging point installed along with any advice

Thanks in advance

Master
    We had a pod point charger installed prior to our E-tron being delivered, it cost about £300 if I recall.
    We are looking at getting another electric car for my wife and have been looking at the Smart or the SEAT mii. The Smart is crazy cheap- about £150/ month on my company car scheme but the limited range put me off so will probably go with the SEAT or maybe the Renault Zoe.
    In the 8 months we have had the e-tron I have only used a public charger twice, you might use one more with the limited range of the Smart.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I do the bulk of my charging at home on a 7kw OHME unit, and use Instavolt rapid chargers when on out of home return range trips.

You can get an OLEV grant to part fund a dedicated charger, but it’ll need to be connected to Wifi/Internet and be off road on your property to qualify.

I just got an electrician to fit and certify a 32A CEEFORM socket and purchased an OHME EVSE myself, worked out about the same as an OLEV part funded install and no need for the connectivity.

I’m not that familiar with the Smart four two, what battery size does it have and what charging rates does it accept?

Owning an EV and having to rely only on public charging is not something I’d consider unless I was a very low mileage driver.

Craftsman
    I have attempted to buy a New Smart Fortwo Pulse Premium no less than 4 times from Stratstone Mercedes in Glasgow and Hamilton. Their customer service is so poor I thought better of the idea. Disappointed as I like the car. Enjoy!

Master

Electric vehicles

Really good deal works out at 18% over two years if you are looking is great value for a lease - I went for the premium version for £181 a month and will be perfect for the wife provided we get the charging point organised

No idea what battery it takes I need to look into that but thanks for responses thus far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st October 2020 at 09:20.

Blog Entries
    Consider this - and I know I'm referring to Dutch power bills:

A guy down the street is the happy (lease) owner of a Tesla X, the one with the gullwing doors. His monthly power bill (gas and electrics) has risen from 280 to 512 euros/month...

He drives from where I live to Roesselaere in Belgium every day. A 3.5 hr single drive. Before he drove the Tesla, his boss was generous enough to offer him a student-driver to take him to and from Roesselaere in his - then lease car- BMW X5. But with a pair of strange ears'' in front of him, he didn't feel free when calling on the phone with clients. Now, with his Tesla, he programs the automatic driving function and the car takes him safely to where he wants to go. Not tired at all.

Not Smart related, but still a nice story about modern electric cars!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 1st October 2020 at 09:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

Really good deal works out at 18% over two years if you are looking is great value for a lease - I went for the premium version for £181 a month and will be perfect for the wife provided we get the charging point organised

No idea what battery it takes I need to look into that but thanks for responses thus far

It’s got a 17 kWh battery from your screenshot, so good for about 60 miles real world allowing a margin? Is that enough for your needs?

It has 22 kw on board charging, so 3 phase, those public charge points are not so popular, most are 7kw if they’re not rapid chargers.

The 6 hour charge time suggests it also only charges at 3.3kw even on a 7kw wall box so bear that in mind when choosing one. You may as well get a 7kw one for future proofing.

Indeed I would agreee get at least a 7.2kw 32A charger at home - if you can stretch to a 3-phase 11 or 22kw one - check the car can take it and this only seems to be easy if your build is already of three phase.

Master
    The mileage side of things is five, just really interested in the charging side of things to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback not too sure what it means though ;)

Seems to be so many options regards external charge points hard know where to start

Master
    The first thing to realise about electric cars is that the ‘chargers’ are on the car.

The things that you bolt to your house wall are actually Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSEs). The EVSE and the cars onboard charger have a ‘conversation’ when you plug in during which it’s established what the EVSE can supply and what the car can receive in terms of power input.

Plug into a 3 phase AC 22kw public charger and you’ll get max 22kw charge rate, so full in about 40-50 minutes from empty.

Plug into a 7kw EVSE on a single phase supply, like at home, and on that car with its onboard charger you’ll get 3.6kw max, or 6 hour recharge time from near empty.

Some cars, like my e-Golf, can’t charge at 22kw AC, but have 2 x 3.6kw onboard chargers combined to allow a 7.2kw charge rate on the home single phase 7kw EVSE.

It’s a bit complex, but most new cars are emerging with 7kw home charging, and 50kw+ DC Rapid Charging, so things are standardising to an extent.

Master
    Don't do it, they do not sound like cars and there is no smell of petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The first thing to realise about electric cars is that the ‘chargers’ are on the car.

The things that you bolt to your house wall are actually Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSEs). The EVSE and the cars onboard charger have a ‘conversation’ when you plug in during which it’s established what the EVSE can supply and what the car can receive in terms of power input.

Plug into a 3 phase AC 22kw public charger and you’ll get max 22kw charge rate, so full in about 40-50 minutes from empty.

Plug into a 7kw EVSE on a single phase supply, like at home, and on that car with its onboard charger you’ll get 3.6kw max, or 6 hour recharge time from near empty.

Some cars, like my e-Golf, can’t charge at 22kw AC, but have 2 x 3.6kw onboard chargers combined to allow a 7.2kw charge rate on the home single phase 7kw EVSE.

It’s a bit complex, but most new cars are emerging with 7kw home charging, and 50kw+ DC Rapid Charging, so things are standardising to an extent.
    I'd say the charger is the thing supplying electricity to the car. You've even contradicted yourself!

AC charging, either 3.6kw or 7.2kw single phase (or 11/22kw 3 phase) use the cars’ onboard charger, the charge points are just an EVSE (electrical supply).

Rapid DC charging is the opposite; the charger is in the charge point rather than the vehicle.

There’s no contradiction, it’s just that people mistakenly call the AC charge points chargers when they actually aren’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd say the charger is the thing supplying electricity to the car. You've even contradicted yourself!
    Yes, I’ve used the term that everybody calls them, ie chargers for your electric car, I was just trying to explain that it’s the car as much as the thing you connect it to that sets the charge input rate.

Edit: Dave said it more eloquently than me! :)

It’s important because otherwise people plug their shiny new electric car into their shiny new 7kw home charge point (EVSE!) and wonder WTF it’s doing only charging at half that rate.

we have an Ipace, wife charges it at work for free, have a pod point at home but hardly use it

Master
    I’m even more confused now ha ha ha

So to put the question in another way can anyone recommend what I should be looking to have installed in order to fast charge the car as opposed to a 3 pin plug and also where to get it from.

Thanks again, I love TZ for this sort of stuff so much knowledge

I've had my i3 for nearly 2 years and have only used a normal 13amp socket to charge it slowly overnight. I occasionally use public chargers (Ecotricity) when doing long trips.

I did buy a Type 2 charging cable but have never used it because all the public charging stations I've used have their own charging cables built in and I used the 13amp charger when at home.

So to put the question in another way can anyone recommend what I should be looking to have installed in order to fast charge the car as opposed to a 3 pin plug and also where to get it from.

It depends on the charging capability of your car, trickle charge, 7,2kw or 11KW, most people can only go to 7.2kw at home

Master

You’ll probably be eligible for an OLEV grant if it will be registered at your home address, so a site like this will give you some options around EVSEs.

https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

Your car will charge at 3.6kw max even connected to a 7.2kw EVSE, but there’s no point going for the lower rated one as it makes little difference to the price and you’re more future proof with the higher rate.

It’s worth it for ensuring you’ve got a safe long term supply sorted, with wiring that’s up to the task etc.

As tools said, go for a 7.2kw charge point, preferably untethered.

A tethered point will only allow cars with the same charge plug as yours to charge (probably type 2) whilst an untethered will allow those with other types to charge too.

As an example, my Nissan uses a type 1 and I’ve a tethered charge point so my daughter with her new MG can’t charge her car at our home as her car uses a type 2. If I had an untethered charge point we could both charge using our own leads (although not simultaneously).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We installed a Rolec 7kw charger with lots of cabling and an earth spike so it's all tickety boo.

I had, however, asked for a Rolex for my birthday, sigh...

Just bought an i3 yesterday

Charges lovely on the 3pin granny charger via an extension highlighted for phev use from wickes fir a mere £20

Long term i bay consider a charge point, but if I ever back to our office it’s free charging with loads of points in the car park as we are an energy firm!

Journeyman
    All depends on your usage.

My commute is 40 miles each way.
    I'm seriously considering the X5 PHEV for my next car because of the tax benefits and also because by charging at work and home I should be able to do 80% of my commute using electric....... then the 3L petrol kicks in...... 🙄

Blog Entries
    Four weeks in tomorrow of life with a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Performance and tech to one side and purely looking at Economics and general living with I could not be happier.

I have all apart from two occasions used home charging via a Tesla unit which gives me 25-30 miles per hour. I used an Ionity public charger last week which was one of the newer contactless pay ones and that was easy to use.

Today I broke my Tesla Supercharger virginity and it was even simpler and free.

Regards home, it is just getting into the habit of pugging in before you walk away from the car. I have my Igloo EV App set to have the car fully charged before 6:30am and it finds the cleanest energy and gives me 100 free miles a month for the privilege.

I do have a granny charging lead and I will do a dummy run to see what the charge is and if I could manage with it. I think most days I could.

The financial side is just nuts when I think it equates to filing up £1.20’ish per gallon of diesel.

I mentioned on my Tesla thread that I have been a real petrelhead but I am a complete convert to EV driving, the sheer brutal power and it is the most relaxing drive ever.

Pitch

Had a BMW i8 for about 6 months until it was it was stolen and totaled. More of a hybrid with the electric motor powering the front wheels and an almost useless range of less than 25 miles on electric alone. Got more from the insurance company then I paid for it though. Drove a Tesla and would never own one. For me it was uncomfortable and I am not too keen on someone being able to turn my car on and off with the push of a button.
    Last edited by koimaster; 6th June 2021 at 21:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Had a BMW i8 for about 6 months until it was it and totaled. More of a hybrid with the electric motor powering the front wheels and an almost useless range of less than 25 miles on electric alone. Got more from the insurance company then I paid for it though. Drove a Tesla and would never own one. For me it was uncomfortable and I am not too keen on someone being able to turn my car on and off with the push of a button.
    To be fair most modern cars could be turned on / off / hacked as they have multiple wireless technologies from TPMS to bluetooth, to wifi. It's just that Tesla have firmly embraced this concept whilst other manufacturers (aside from perhaps mclaren) have not. Certainly your i8 could have been.

Boris Johnson is understood to be planning to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars within a decade, with reports that the ban will be brought forward by five years.

It follows the prime minister moving the cut-off date from 2040 to 2035 in February.

Johnson is expected to announce the measure amid a raft of new environmental policies next week, according to a report in the Financial Times, which attributes the news to industry and Whitehall sources.

The government hopes the policy will energise the market for electric cars in the UK and help the country achieve its climate targets, including reducing emissions of greenhouse gases to net zero by 2050.

Scientists, academics and campaigners have urged governments and businesses to be more ambitious, calling on them to work to “restore the climate” to as safe a level as possible.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cars-from-2030

Craftsman
    Did you take the plunge in the end OP? I’m still looking for a good deal on a Prime Exclusive Fortwo.

Blog Entries
    Honestly chaps two and a bit months in and I will not by choice jump back into a ICE motor.

I can’t talk highly enough of Tesla, is the car zero of faults, hell no, but the tech and experience is streets ahead of the Germans.

My M3P is at the Chelmsford SC for a couple of jobs and the whole service experience is a refreshing change from nearly 20 years of Audi and BMW waffle.

ALL the major car manufacturers, the big German ones in particular have been caught well and truly with their pants down.

I have a Model S loaner and it is far nicer than my experience with new A6, latest Q7 and 5 Series.
    Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Had a BMW i8 for about 6 months until it was it and totaled. More of a hybrid with the electric motor powering the front wheels and an almost useless range of less than 25 miles on electric alone. Got more from the insurance company then I paid for it though. Drove a Tesla and would never own one. For me it was uncomfortable and I am not too keen on someone being able to turn my car on and off with the push of a button.
    I’m seriously considering an i8 as a 2021 purchase. If I can work the man maths I think it could be my first expensive ish car purchase in quite a while. Should be easy enough to fit me daily drive on full electric, especially if I went for a later model with the larger battery.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Honestly chaps two and a bit months in and I will not by choice jump back into a ICE motor.

I can’t talk highly enough of Tesla, is the car zero of faults, hell no, but the tech and experience is streets ahead of the Germans.

My M3P is at the Chelmsford SC for a couple of jobs and the whole service experience is a refreshing change from nearly 20 years of Audi and BMW waffle.

ALL the major car manufacturers, the big German ones in particular have been caught well and truly with their pants down.

I have a Model S loaner and it is far nicer than my experience with new A6, latest Q7 and 5 Series.
    Pitch
    I don’t know enough Tesla owners to know whether your experience is typical of most but of the 3 Model 3 owners I know, all had paint and panel alignment issues upon collection (purchased within the last 2 years). I was really keen to buy one at the beginning of this year but their experiences really put me off. For £40k plus, I would expect a fault-free new car upon collection. I’m sure I’ll take the plunge within the next 5 years but I’m hoping that by then, they’ll maybe have a different point of sale set-up.

Master
    I wouldn’t go back to having an ICE car either after 9 months with my E-tron. In fact we are looking to get another EV as a runabout as soon as the order books for the Seat Mii reopen.
    There is a lot of tech on these new cars though and whilst drivetrain issues are rare I think electrical issues are likely to be more common. On my E-tron the rear light started flickering recently, but was sorted quickly by Audi Assist, who came out and replaced it on my driveway.

Craftsman
    Well I love my Smart EQ. Real world range for me is 70 miles.
    It’s my second car which I use for running round the village and my commute to the train station. My “proper” car is a Disco 4 which frankly drinks diesel on short runs so I save a fortune on running costs.
    The battery is small enough to make 2kwh charging via the supplied granny cable over night completely viable so if you don’t currently have a wall box I wouldn’t stress too much.

Oh and it’s fantastic fun. Like a dodgem car on nitrous! 😁

Craftsman
    As an aside.

The one thing I’ve noticed is your driving style really changes with an EV. In particular your anticipation is greatly heightened and as a result of regen braking “one pedal” driving becomes very much the norm.

I would imagine the manufacturers of brake discs and pads must be busily re-thinking their business model as the frequency of replacement is going to plummet as adoption of EV’s grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    As an aside.

The one thing I’ve noticed is your driving style really changes with an EV. In particular your anticipation is greatly heightened and as a result of regen braking “one pedal” driving becomes very much the norm.

I would imagine the manufacturers of brake discs and pads must be busily re-thinking their business model as the frequency of replacement is going to plummet as adoption of EV’s grow.
    That’s certainly true of the smaller battery EVs along with a more relaxed driving style.

Whether that continues to be the case as the batteries become larger and range increases, I’m not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Your car weighs 900kg, even in my MX-5 I don't use the brakes much because I can lift off and lose speed without touching them. I didn't see a figure for the weight of the new BMW monstrosity but it must be heading towards 3,000kg, I wonder how much the regen braking effect will slow that down (I genuinely don't know).
    "A man of little significance"

Electric vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Your car weighs 900kg, even in my MX-5 I don't use the brakes much because I can lift off and lose speed without touching them. I didn't see a figure for the weight of the new BMW monstrosity but it must be heading towards 3,000kg, I wonder how much the regen braking effect will slow that down (I genuinely don't know).
    It all depends on the size of the motors and how much regen is programmed in but there’s a lot of kinetic energy there ready to be converted back to electrical energy.

In theory, the motor should be capable of slowing the vehicle down just as quickly as it can accelerate up to speed.

In my motor, regenerated energy is generally about 1/3 of my total energy usage. Of course, there are a number of variables which can make a big difference.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 15th November 2020 at 10:02.

I love my I3 Rex
    Feel very smug driving past fuel stations

Real range is easily 100 miles on the electric and 90 on the back up fuel (never ever used it)
    Recharge in the granny charger or get a free charge where you can

I might look at a bigger range vehicle next time as this is my first electric car - there are lots about

Enjoyable to drive - super nippy when you need - spacious interior - and once I get a proper charging point in )if I bother) even easier

My nephew leased a Nissan Leaf for his daily 68m (total) commute to Vodafone in Newbury. He got it charged for free at work and found it to be the perfect car for the job.

His all-up costs per month, were less than the simple running costs of fuelling and taxing his parents' old 5-series. (even without buying the odd battery, tyres, etc)

I think even without the free charging facility - it was a bit of a no-brainer.

So many people, if they looked seriously at their usage - should do better financially than buying that new petrol/diesel car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I don’t know enough Tesla owners to know whether your experience is typical of most but of the 3 Model 3 owners I know, all had paint and panel alignment issues upon collection (purchased within the last 2 years). I was really keen to buy one at the beginning of this year but their experiences really put me off. For £40k plus, I would expect a fault-free new car upon collection. I’m sure I’ll take the plunge within the next 5 years but I’m hoping that by then, they’ll maybe have a different point of sale set-up.
    Yes, one of my jobs is a piece of flat paint about the size of my palm and a panel gap which in the whole scheme of things for me is nothing on a close on £60k motor.

The car is not perfect no car is, I have had to return the majority of new BMWs and Audi’s for odd bits, but the manner with which Tesla are dealing with these bits is superb, it is refreshing from the normal main dealer attitude of doing you a favour.

Just a note on brakes above, the regen braking on the Model 3 is fantastic and way better than the Model S loaner I have. It is noticeable when cleaning how dust free the wheels are.

Ta

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It all depends on the size of the motors and how much regen is programmed in but there’s a lot of kinetic energy there ready to be converted back to electrical energy.

In theory, the motor should be capable of slowing the vehicle down just as quickly as it can accelerate up to speed.

In my motor, regenerated energy is generally about 1/3 of my total energy usage. Of course, there are a number of variables which can make a big difference.
    That's really interesting, thank you. I didn't know about the middle bit about slowing as quickly as it can accelerate.

I've been really tempted by an i3. A friend of mine runs one and loves it and I can think of one journey in the last three years where four of us have gone further in one go than 100 miles (and then we'd just have to work out where to stop for a charge). Is there a booking system in place for chargers? I mean if I know I'm going to drive 100 miles and come back that same day can I book a charging slot at my destination? As much as I love petrol cars I understand why it's a good idea they go. While there are still environmental issues about battery-powered cars and presumably the nucluear power needed to produce the electricity to propel them I find things like the i3 really interesting. There's a link to watches in my head too - in the few years from 1969 we had the automatic chronograph, deep sea diving, electronic, quartz and digital watches. With the new technology came new designs (I'm thinking especially of Omega here, but Heuer too and so on). The i3 takes the new tech and builds the car around it in a very clever way. And it's something like seven years old and still relevant. The future of car design is very interesting. I'll even look at SUVs in a new light if they can make them sub-1,000kg.
    "A man of little significance"

If I could afford to spend £60k on a car I wouldn’t give a monkeys about fuel consumption, but I would expect perfect paint and panel gaps tbh!
    I don’t know what to make of Tesla etc at the moment. Until someone builds a decent £10k basic electric, useable car I think it’s still mostly the realm of car enthusiasts and the wealthy. My son and his friends are all in the process of learning to drive at the moment and ive been genuinely surprised at what under £5k will buy you as a runabout. Insurance is ruinously expensive in the first year, but I think it will be a long time before their generation dumps a cheap car with a loud exhaust and big wheels for an expensive electric option - today’s cheap Corsa is likely to be on the road driven by enthusiastic young drivers for another 15-20 years I suspect. I have to admit, I’ll be looking at the new electric golf/ID4 or whatever it’s called to replace my current Tiguan in a couple of years as I realise I do a lot of small journeys (if they are the right price/any good) - supported by the 2015 golf diesel in the garage that will get 600 miles out of a tank for longer journeys, with £20 a year road tax. I don’t think 10 years is long enough for the prices and advantages to trickle down to your average motorist but I may well be wrong, in fact I hope I am as it has to be better for the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That's really interesting, thank you. I didn't know about the middle bit about slowing as quickly as it can accelerate.

I've been really tempted by an i3. A friend of mine runs one and loves it and I can think of one journey in the last three years where four of us have gone further in one go than 100 miles (and then we'd just have to work out where to stop for a charge). Is there a booking system in place for chargers? I mean if I know I'm going to drive 100 miles and come back that same day can I book a charging slot at my destination? As much as I love petrol cars I understand why it's a good idea they go. While there are still environmental issues about battery-powered cars and presumably the nucluear power needed to produce the electricity to propel them I find things like the i3 really interesting. There's a link to watches in my head too - in the few years from 1969 we had the automatic chronograph, deep sea diving, electronic, quartz and digital watches. With the new technology came new designs (I'm thinking especially of Omega here, but Heuer too and so on). The i3 takes the new tech and builds the car around it in a very clever way. And it's something like seven years old and still relevant. The future of car design is very interesting. I'll even look at SUVs in a new light if they can make them sub-1,000kg.
    The short answer is no you can't book chargers. However the charging networks have an app that tells you where the ones are near you and if they're in use. The i3 REX with it's on board generator means if you get caught low on charge you can keep going on petrol till you find somewhere you can charge.

Master
    I was pleasantly surprised about the general availability of rapid chargers (50kw+) on a recent weekend break we had in Norfolk, including this place where they had 8 125kw chargers and I was the only one using any of them!

I think it’s time the government standardised on one payment method that will work across all operators. Frankly I’m not having 17 apps on my phone, 17 rfid cards in the car or a balance of funds lodged with 17 bloomin’ different operators thank you very much. A real weakness at the moment.

Blog Entries
    I think the majority of newly installed and simple contactless now or certainly the one I have used. In reality Tesla solution is just so simple but every manufacturer doing the same is just nonsense.

I guess more of the older EV chargers will be converted as the current app based approach is archaic.

Pitch

Why is an app even needed, why can’t electricity used be paid for as we do for petrol?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why is an app even needed, why can’t electricity used be paid for as we do for petrol?
    They were trying different pricing models to tie you into a particular network of chargers, for example monthly or annual subscription to then give lower per KW charge costs. Whilst I have signed up for multiple apps and cards, in reality I have only actually used contactless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised about the general availability of rapid chargers (50kw+) on a recent weekend break we had in Norfolk, including this place where they had 8 125kw chargers and I was the only one using any of them!

Ah, Necton! I know it well. Brilliant facility for EV drivers, Instavolt have changed the landscape for us, and they’re still expanding. Easy to use/pay, and reliable as well.

I only ever charge at work or Tesco, are you saying most charge points are contactless bank card now? That’s good news.