closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Web site advice, images etc.

Master

Web site advice, images etc.

I'm putting an information web site together, (not watch related), can I use images that I find on the web and links to utube videos or is this breaching some kind of copyright

I would not expect it will get many views

I think it's fine if it's a personal interest site, but not for a commercial one.

I'm not a lawyer, though, and my comment is based on observations rather than law.

I think in reality, you cannot use any image that you don't have the copyright for, but few organisations will pursue an individual for a non commercial use.

If you're promoting a business or selling something, you are liable to find yourself receiving letters to remove the images, at least.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I wouldn't see a problem linking or embedding a YouTube video as that clearly keeps the link and credit to the originator.

Pictures... Well, a small site, nobody's going to notice but just because an image shows up in google image searches doesn't mean it's free to reuse without permission.

Consider spending just a few pounds on a few credits with Shutterstock. About £25 will get you half a dozen top quality, royalty free images. They'll look great and you'll never have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think it's fine if it's a personal interest site, but not for a commercial one.
    No it's not ok to use other people's content for your own website, commercial or not. If it's news credit the creator, if it's educational reference the creator. All imagery is copyright to the original creator, and using it on your website will be in breach of copyright laws.

You can seek permission, create your own, or buy licensed or royalty free images, or use images from websites such as Pexels or Unsplash.

Master
    Thanks Guys

I'm using Wix to build the site - it's suppose to be easy, but it's sending me around in circles

The last time I built a site I use Adobe GoLive and it just seemed a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    No it's not ok to use other people's content for your own website, commercial or not. If it's news credit the creator, if it's educational reference the creator. All imagery is copyright to the original creator, and using it on your website will be in breach of copyright laws.

You can seek permission, create your own, or buy licensed or royalty free images, or use images from websites such as Pexels or Unsplash.
    No argument there. If you use others' material credit it.

I have a few websites (personal interest only) and always do where I can find the source.

Quite often, though, I see my words or photographs reproduced (sometimes the whole site!) without any credit.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master

so I cannot use an image of a map of the UK or a country flag taken off the net then, and if I photograph one from a book that I have I have to ask permission from the publisher?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    so I cannot use an image of a map of the UK or a country flag taken off the net then, and if I photograph one from a book that I have I have to ask permission from the publisher?
    Depend on the source. For example if I've spent hours creating a map of the UK for a client's website and you pinch the illustration for your use then I'd be coming after you for breach of copyright. But if you've got it from a royalty free clip art library or stock image website then it's fine.

There are tons of free resources online such as Freepik for things like maps etc.

Master
    Depend on the source. For example if I've spent hours creating a map of the UK for a client's website and you pinch the illustration for your use then I'd be coming after you for breach of copyright. But if you've got it from a royalty free clip art library or stock image website then it's fine.

There are tons of free resources online such as Freepik for things like maps etc.
    I have quite a few "original" paintings, one-off's - I think that I was told that I cannot even photograph these as I do not have the copyright, although I bought these from a gallery, - the painter has now died, so maybe it's not a risk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I have quite a few "original" paintings, one-off's - I think that I was told that I cannot even photograph these as I do not have the copyright, although I bought these from a gallery, - the painter has now died, so maybe it's not a risk anymore.
    The copyright may still be owned by someone regardless of who owns the original painting.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

A Pal of mine got into selling vintage clothes, he used some std stock photos off the net. Within months he had a legal letter stating the website , the source , the breach, an indication of no of visits to the site and a solicitors bill!

There are the equivalent of ambulance chasers working on copyright fraud, so dont even believe only a few people will view your website. These guys are using web crawlers to identify breaches. As advised above invest in some royalty free images.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The copyright may still be owned by someone regardless of who owns the original painting.
    Believe copyright generally exists for 70 years after the artist dies (at least in UK and presumably EU too).

There may also be royalties payable on resale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Believe copyright generally exists for 70 years after the artist dies (at least in UK and presumably EU too).

There may also be royalties payable on resale.
    I've looked into copyright on photography and gave up when it became complicated if the photographer worked for a magazine, for example, or you don't know who took it in the first place (so don't know when they died!).

I used the word 'may' for good reason.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've looked into copyright on photography and gave up when it became complicated if the photographer worked for a magazine, for example, or you don't know who took it in the first place (so don't know when they died!).

I used the word 'may' for good reason.
    Yes, if an artist was commissioned to do a painting, the commissioner(?) would own the copyright.

Copyright holders can also (and do) perform image searches to find where their material is being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk