closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glashütte Original

Glashütte Original

During the recent Ernest Jones sale I bought the GO PanoMaticLunar. I thought it was an excellent price at £6500 for the blue dial with the SS bracelet.

The watch arrived last week and I didn’t immediately love the shade of blue for the dial (the photos make it look darker than it is) and the empty space left around the dials due to the smaller sub dials, it’s growing on me though. I’ve always admired the watch from afar and preferred the white dial version but it’s not to be had at the price I paid from an AD. I’ve not seen the white dial hands on either.

I’m torn on what to do now, do I send it back and get a refund knowing that I’m unlikely to see this watch at this price again? Shall I keep it and see if the sentiment changes? I’m not sure how much wrist time it’s get with the others I have.

I really like the idea of owning a GO And have wanted something from this brand for a while but my recent Lange purchase has left me with the question as whether want/need something from GO.

Over the last few days I’ve thought, I’m keeping it, then the next day returning it. I’ve asked the wife and she isn’t interested.

I know, first world problems and all but what do you think?

A photo with its cousins:

Sounds like you are justifying keeping it because of the price you paid rather than because you like it.

Perhaps a better question to ask yourself would be if you paid the extra money but got the one you really like would you be even questioning yourself but rather enjoying every day you have it?

I have an older one - the XL version. I also have a love/hate relationship with it, and indeed there are days I think I should sell it. Ultimately it's still with me 6 years later and deserves a place in my collection. The quality is superb and when I compared years ago to a friend's Lange 1, I didn't feel I was missing out on much.

Personally the blue never resonated with me - mine is anthracite. The green looks ace, but definitely more expensive.

Hope that helps a little.

Journeyman
    Great value, but £6500 is still a lot of money. If you're spending that much you should be thrilled with what you get. You don't sound thrilled so I'd wonder if maybe you should be looking at a different watch instead?

I love this watch, and one day will get one, hopefully when they bring the case size down.

For me, it's more a dress watch and looks much better on a leather strap. Maybe that's what you need?

Return the blue and save up for the white one. £6.5k for a watch you may come to like, but which will always be 2nd choice behind the white, doesn't make sense to me - unless it can kept as an investment (but not applicable to GO).

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I love this watch, and one day will get one, hopefully when they bring the case size down.

For me, it's more a dress watch and looks much better on a leather strap. Maybe that's what you need?
    You'd think it's a 'dress watch', but it really isn't with the thickness and it's far more casual.

Quote Originally Posted by teeth man View Post
    ...<snip>The watch arrived last week and I didn’t immediately love the shade of blue for the dial (the photos make it look darker than it is) and the empty space left around the dials due to the smaller sub dials, it’s growing on me though...<snip>
    I thought the main visual attraction of the PanoMaticLunar was the dial design/layout. Hadn't you considered that before purchase? I do agree that the white dial is much nicer than the blue.
    ______

​Jim.

It’s a beautiful watch...but it sounds like you’re talking yourself into keeping it when deep down you feel it’s not for you.

I often have reservations about my purchases when they arrive; it’s probably something in my subconscious that just isn’t comfortable with spending huge amounts of money and over a few days I get over that.

But if there is something in my gut that just doesn’t feel right I return it. You can always buy another; or maybe use it as a part-exchange for the white dialled version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You'd think it's a 'dress watch', but it really isn't with the thickness and it's far more casual.
    I should have said it's more a dressier, smarter looking watch rather than a tool watch. Which I think is better suited to a strap.

I love the watch, but it’s better on alligator or leather, rather than a bracelet

It’s a lot to pay if you are not sure about it

The white / silver dial on leather is £6500 new from a grey dealer I have used, and would recommend on Chrono24.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/glashuett...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this watch, and thought that price in the EJ sale was crazily good. The white/ silver dial as it’s known is roughly 3yrs away for me & probably my lessor haute horological piece & dress watch. Do prefer it in the leathers and have tried it on many times in ADs. Design wise & movement to me are fascinating. Plus I’ll never afford it’s bigger expensive cousin!

Can you not look to trade in anywhere for the one you want with any deals to be had?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    my recent Lange purchase has left me with the question as whether want/need something from GO.
    Funnily enough, I also saw this in the sale and was tempted but given that I own a Lange I wasn’t sure what I was adding with this aside from a bracelet. In isolation, I’m sure it is a fantastic watch, I’m not sure what to would come off so well against its brother.

Fortunately something I really wanted appeared shortly after to settle the debate finally anyhow!

Six and a half thousand pounds. I know we live in a strange horological bubble but seriously, six and a half thousand pounds and you don’t really like it.

Send it back, save the cash, buy something you really do like. Something that makes you ecstatically happy the instant you see and touch it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hear Hear, he cries, something you really like, maybe without blooming great big date numbers and window.....

Journeyman
    I think you've got more than enough there already that you can let this 'deal' (i know it's new but used lunars regularly go below 4500) go and put the money towards something you really fancy.

There are plenty of options from GO themselves in this price range anyway and discounts are a plenty!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the replies so far. Just to answer a few questions:

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sounds like you are justifying keeping it because of the price you paid rather than because you like it.

Perhaps a better question to ask yourself would be if you paid the extra money but got the one you really like would you be even questioning yourself but rather enjoying every day you have it?
    I think this is probably quite true, its seems to be more about the deal, getting that specific watch at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by animaal View Post
    Great value, but £6500 is still a lot of money. If you're spending that much you should be thrilled with what you get. You don't sound thrilled so I'd wonder if maybe you should be looking at a different watch instead?
    yeah probably, nothing really springs to mind, I've really like the panomaticlunar since it came out but never been to try it on

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post

thought about getting the leather strap with the deployment, its a fair chunk of change further in the hole and if i realise i really don't like it then its more money wasted

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I thought the main visual attraction of the PanoMaticLunar was the dial design/layout. Hadn't you considered that before purchase? I do agree that the white dial is much nicer than the blue.
    of course but its the age old thing of seeing it in the flesh compared to the photos

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    I love this watch, and thought that price in the EJ sale was crazily good. The white/ silver dial as it’s known is roughly 3yrs away for me & probably my lessor haute horological piece & dress watch. Do prefer it in the leathers and have tried it on many times in ADs. Design wise & movement to me are fascinating. Plus I’ll never afford it’s bigger expensive cousin!

Can you not look to trade in anywhere for the one you want with any deals to be had?

A trade may be possible, but I'm not sure that anyone will pay what i paid for it so probably better it goes back before the return period is up rather than being stuck with it

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. Just to answer a few questions:

I think this is probably quite true, its seems to be more about the deal, getting that specific watch at the price.

yeah probably, nothing really springs to mind, I've really like the panomaticlunar since it came out but never been to try it on

thought about getting the leather strap with the deployment, its a fair chunk of change further in the hole and if i realise i really don't like it then its more money wasted

of course but its the age old thing of seeing it in the flesh compared to the photos

A trade may be possible, but I'm not sure that anyone will pay what i paid for it so probably better it goes back before the return period is up rather than being stuck with it
    Return the watch while you can and have a look at Chrono24 if your interested some decent pricing from proper EU sellers oh BTW if you go for the white version go with the Alligator strap.
    Whatever good luck
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Designwise it is neither fish-nor-fowl - not sporting, not dressy; too big, too random - it's a bit of a mess and looks entirely outclassed by the much better-realised Lange.

Send it back, enjoy the Lange, it's fabulous.

It’s a 8.6 K GBP watch. The price is 25% discounted. It’s a very nice watch, but with that money i have other priorities. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Designwise it is neither fish-nor-fowl - not sporting, not dressy; too big, too random - it's a bit of a mess and looks entirely outclassed by the much better-realised Lange.

Send it back, enjoy the Lange, it's fabulous.
    Not my cup of tea really either and agree with most on here, 6.5k is a lot of money for a watch you aren’t particularly bothered about. Return for the full amount, will bother you more when the return period has passed.

Pass on your discount and sell on SC, then buy the one you really want.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I’m going to send it back. I think buying the Lange has scratched the Glashütte Original itch in a round about way!