closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn 144 or Guinand Series 60

Sinn 144 or Guinand Series 60

I have been looking at both watches for quite some time now. I am aware of the Sinn connection with Guinand but as a brand they dont seem to get anywhere near the level of interest as Sinn but they do seem to have a nice collection of watches all of them seemingly regulated in house by Guinand.

I have always liked the 144 but stumbling across the Guinand website I found the series 60 quite interesting especially the different dials to choose from. I seems the Sinn is bead blasted and the Guinand polished and the Guinand has a pretty ordinary bracelet (I would look to buy either on a leather strap anyway) My questions to the forum are has anyone any experience with either watch or with the Guinand brand? Worth buying or stick with Sinn?

Link to the website

https://www.guinand-uhren.de/series-60/serie-60.html

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/144_St_Sa.htm

Master
    As a Sinn owner can't wait to get my hands on a Guinand. I really do like the Guinand's over the Sinn's and I think you can still get some real customer service from Guinand as they are smaller and want the business. It wasn't too long ago you could actually customize the offerings from Guinand as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    My questions to the forum are has anyone any experience with either watch or with the Guinand brand? Worth buying or stick with Sinn?
    I can’t comment on whether it’s worth buying Guinand over Sinn (I’d like to own a Sinn one day) and don’t have experience with Series 60 but have experienced the brand: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Pilot-Officer

Recently I sent an email about my watch to the same person who I met at the exhibition and who I liaised with when buying. Got a prompt and satisfactory reply. There is something nice about dealing with a smaller company sometimes.

The watch has been in regular rotation since I bought it and I still love it.

Master
    I have the Sinn 144. Movement aside what attracted me to the Sinn was the established nature of the brand and Sinn's customer service which I have found to be great. I was also attracted by the water resistance for the Sinn. That way I don't have to worry about water ingress when doing the things I do. I purchased on the bracelet but then put it on a Chronissimo strap.

I bought from Neil at Chronomaster who is great to deal with.

It's also not my first Sinn - I have 4.

Saying all that I like the Guinand and its use of movement should make it readily serviceable.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Here's mine

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

The Guinand offers a bit more and less.
    Colour options, display back, and often (at a cost) the ability to change case finish (I have discussed with them before the option of blasting an otherwise brushed case). More
    No dedicated bracelet. Less

Unfortunaely, this Porsche Design derived case with its shrouded lugs is one that really does suit a bracelet very well, so the absence of one that flares out from the strap width to the total lug width is a massive lack for this watch.

I wear almost everything I own on straps, but have owned about 5 pd chronos (all the Lemania powered ones, clearly) and I almost always wore all them on their bracelets.

I would choose the Sinn for that reason alone (but would have another pd in preference to either)

Dave

Craftsman
    Sinn 144 is a very versatile watch and comes in a lot of forms. You can have luminova, tritium, lemania 5100, valjoux 7750, GMT, titanium, steel, PVD coated case and it looks great on Nato strap, leather and bracelet. It is a large watch, but not overly big.

Here is my Lufthansa promotional trinklet that is waiting for service:

Once its back, I'll try it definitely with thick 20mm Nato.

Here is PVD case with khaki nato:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFQxg3EH..._web_copy_link

Olli that Sinn 144 you have is lovely I especially like the bracelet, what put me off a little buying the Sinn on the bracelet is I almost always wear my watches on a leather strap. I think of all I have only Rolex I wear on a bracelet even my Tudor I switches to a leather strap I just dont find them comfortable. The current Sinn bracelet I see the 144 on looked a bit "chunky" very interesting to know that Guinand will give you a bead blasted case if you ask for it.

There are a few Sinn watches I really like such as the space watch I also like the Guinand duograph and 361 it sounds like Guinand is a bit like what Sinn used to be.

Is the quality on the same level as Sinn?

Blog Entries
    Couple of articles about Sinn and Guinand

https://www.guinand-uhren.de/history.html

https://wornandwound.com/the-return-of-guinand/

The watch that that first took me down this slippery slope was a Sinn 144
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Olli that Sinn 144 you have is lovely I especially like the bracelet, what put me off a little buying the Sinn on the bracelet is I almost always wear my watches on a leather strap. I think of all I have only Rolex I wear on a bracelet even my Tudor I switches to a leather strap I just dont find them comfortable. The current Sinn bracelet I see the 144 on looked a bit "chunky" very interesting to know that Guinand will give you a bead blasted case if you ask for it.

There are a few Sinn watches I really like such as the space watch I also like the Guinand duograph and 361 it sounds like Guinand is a bit like what Sinn used to be.

Is the quality on the same level as Sinn?
    I just don't think lugless / shrouded lug watches look right on straps, but that's just my feelings.

They are very similar watches, dimensions and weight virtually identical. The Guinand is £400 cheaper on a bracelet which has to count for something. They are both good solid brands I'd be proud to wear, if obscure / niche gives the OP a kick then clearly Guinand is the one to go for though Sinn are hardly mainstream. The Sinn site is a bit short on photos but it looks like the bezel on the Guinand is a bit clunky so that might make it the Sinn for me.

Can't help but be impressed by the Guinand offering on their website! Some stunning watches. Having never owned either brand and therefore making this comment from photographs, the Guinands are more appealing to me than Sinn.

Much though I love Sinn, I can't see the point of paying the premium for the Sinn name when it's not a tegimented watch - for me that's their real stand-out USP.

FWVLIW, I think the Guinand is the better looking watch of this duo.

Were it me I'd take a long hard look at some Damasko chronographs as well, best of both worlds in many ways, albeit they have nothing in quite this style.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Much though I love Sinn, I can't see the point of paying the premium for the Sinn name when it's not a tegimented watch - for me that's their real stand-out USP.

FWVLIW, I think the Guinand is the better looking watch of this duo.

Were it me I'd take a long hard look at some Damasko chronographs as well, best of both worlds in many ways, albeit they have nothing in quite this style.
    Agreed, many of the Sinn chronographs like the 144 that I like have bead blasted finishes.
    Bead blasted finish puts me off as they show the slightest scuff and almost impossible to refinish.
    If they were available in the tegimented finish, I’d own one for sure.