closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD4K or original Sub LV

SD4K or original Sub LV

Not usually one for discussing Rolex, and I sort of roll my eyes sometimes at another Rolex thread starting - but I am different and special, my mummy tells my that, so here goes:

I may be in a position to get one or the other. Not both!

They’re equally a bit of a dream watch for me, but I would be buying to keep for good - so am trying to sway myself a either way, and not doing well!

Any thoughts?

The only guide would be I want to stay as close to £10k as poss., and not sure of the LV is getting away from there at the mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it matters, I would wear it a lot, for a lot of stuff.
    It would not be cared for or treated as special.

It will not be viewed as an investment.

SD4K ceramic? I'm not up to date with LV pricing but I don't think you can get one for £10k give or take a bit.

All things considered I would go for a SD4K before going for an LV, ceramic or otherwise. Really like the LV but not as much as the SD and not worth the extra for me if it's one Vs the other.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you own any other SS Rolex?
    I’ve owned both and what else you have would sway the decision.

Master
    I guess it depends on your tastes,
    for me it would be simple as I don't like cyclops and I prefer black or blue to green
    SD4K all the way

Master
    You would get an SDc for about that but I doubt anyone would sell an LV(unless a loose watch) for that.
    I would choose the LV and if you get fed up with the green you can change it to a black bezel insert.

Master
    LV, for me. There is a reason that the SD4K didn't sell well when available and when i tried it, it felt like an ice hockey puck sitting on the wrist, not great. Only became sought after after a "short" run and speculators jump on board. Personally would rather have a 16600/16660 over the SD4K.

So for me choice would be LV or 16600/16660 and not the SD4K.

I bought an LV for £3k brand new and never really bonded with it - ultimately I think I’d still have it if I’d bought the standard black bezel version, I just never really grew to like the green. £10k? not worth it imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    LV, for me. There is a reason that the SD4K didn't sell well when available and when i tried it, it felt like an ice hockey puck sitting on the wrist, not great. Only became sought after after a "short" run and speculators jump on board. Personally would rather have a 16600/16660 over the SD4K.

So for me choice would be LV or 16600/16660 and not the SD4K.
    I'd agree with that to an extent but it takes about an hour to get used to the feel on your wrist.
    Not an issue if it's a regular wearer.
    More the boring ceramic that's the issue for me but thats the same for any modern sports.

Values of SD4K's have creeped up over the past few months. Nice examples are going well north of £11k now

Having owned both I would go for the SDc. LV never felt special to me and was sold within six months of buying. It’s not missed. SDc was a daily wearer for two years before being sold to Hood. It’s missed but not enough for me to regret the sale or want to buy another one.

I own both watches in fact I'm wearing the SD4K right now, if I could only have one
    Its a close call but I'd have to say the LV, it sits a little better on the wrist
    I'll post some pictures of them side by side tomorrow if it helps

Master
    I think you would be doing well to get a full set in good condition under 11 at the moment. I love the look of the LV, but I personally went a different way, the SD43 is my watch of choice.

SD4K or original Sub LV

SDc uncomfortable, sold mine. So Sub LV out of those, but would say neither. 16600 or SD43 wear better.

Master
    On my 4th SDc
    Always seem to end up trading them but then wanting another.

OK. In vino veritas... I have drank much of a nice bottle of Syrah and had a talk with myself.

I cannot buy an LV. I turned one down, new, at £2650 some years ago.
    I love them. But I must self-flagellate for being a tit and spending the money on beer and drugs.

So. SD4K - love the newer tech in the movement.
    But should I know be looking at the 16600 /SD4K...

16600 is the absolute sweetheart. I would take one over the ceramic any day unless you have thighs for wrists.

But the high, pronounced crystal... ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    16600 is the absolute sweetheart. I would take one over the ceramic any day unless you have thighs for wrists.
    I did exactly this. (I don't have thighs for wrists)

I’ve had every variation of the LV including the mythical “y” series first run...although a very nice collectors watch, I actually prefer the sd4k from a technological perspective. The sd4k is a modern classic/collectible with the added bonus of having the newer style bracelet which is more robust and overall I could just about justify the £10k plus asking price if I was in your predicament. LVs have unfortunately risen to the current price which as a stand-alone watch don’t justify the price point..albeit due to the collectibility they are what they are...for what it’s worth, if your buying from an appreciating value angle, I’d say the sd4k may have more potential than the lv. The LV has tripled in price over the last 5 plus years whereas the sd4k only went up say 25 per cent. I dare say the sd4k was probably made in smaller numbers due to its shorter run and it has all the hallmarks of being a future collectible...only time will tell!

Ive had an SDc but only took it in trade in order to sell on straight away. I did try it on and found it a bit chunky for my liking. I also think this watch falls between two stools, the 16600 is one of the most loved Rolex around and the watch that replaced it, the SD43 satisfies those with larger wrists.

It's funny, but it's usually dealers and those who own an SDc make a thing of its short life and a future collectibility. Personally, I'm not convinced and don't think it will be a grail of the future. £10k should get you one private, but even Watchfinder have one with service stickers on it for just under £13k. I think that's where this watch will stay.

Never had an LV, but as others have said buying at the top of the market is never a plan.

My advice, buy a nice full set 16600 for £8k tops

As I say I've both watches but if I got only keep one I'd go for the LV its lighter at 137g vs 167g and only 13.1mm thick
    and so sits better on the wrist IMHO the SD4K is a thick watch at 15.2mm but hides it well

The SD4K is rare in comparison being that there are only 74 being listed on Chrono24 vs 291 LV's

The prefect watch would be the LV with the newer clasp

You can really see the difference in thickness here

The lume on both watches is great

The end link fit on the SD4K isn't the best were as the LV is spot on

Last edited by bazza.; 30th September 2020 at 10:05.

Nothing to add to the discussion as I’ve never tried a Sub LV, however I’m always impressed when I see pictures of two mechanical watches showing the same time!

Great input, thanks.

LV is off the table.

I had not considered the thickness of the SD4K, although am wearing the GS Spring Drive diver at the mo, and have the Tudor BB Chrono, plus had a Seawolf recently.

I really need to try one on, if poss.
    And maybe side-by-side with the old SD.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Great input, thanks.

LV is off the table.

I had not considered the thickness of the SD4K, although am wearing the GS Spring Drive diver at the mo, and have the Tudor BB Chrono, plus had a Seawolf recently.

I really need to try one on, if poss.
    And maybe side-by-side with the old SD.

One thing to consider the watches you have all have 22mm lug width were as the SD4K only has 20mm which makes it feel
    A little bit more top heavy

If your need Coventry let me need and you could try my ones for size

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I also think this watch falls between two stools, the 16600 is one of the most loved Rolex around and the watch that replaced it, the SD43 satisfies those with larger wrists.

My advice, buy a nice full set 16600 for £8k tops
    Agree with both of those points. A cracking watch it may be buy the SDc seems to satisfy a small amount of people as most of the 5 digit lovers don't like the ceramic and most of the 6 digit lovers prefer other choices for the same money.

I would go for the 16600 like you suggest or if you can get away with it try on a SD43 and you might be surprised.

Banned
    Definitely the sd4k out of these 2, better bracelet, ceramic bezel and more presence

Master
    @bazza
    Nice pics and write up of the 2
    Both look great

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

SD4K all the way for me.

Slimmer lugs, modern glide lock bracelet, matte dial and pretty rare too. As has been said, wear it for a few hours and the thickness isn’t an issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    SD4K all the way for me.

Slimmer lugs, modern glide lock bracelet, matte dial and pretty rare too. As has been said, wear it for a few hours and the thickness isn’t an issue.

Slimmer lugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Slimmer lugs?
    Slimmer than than a modern sub I meant (albeit not so true given the new case shape)

I'd love another LV, but I'd struggle to pay the current prices having sold my previous one for £5k.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Great post and pictures Bazza, side by side photos always answer any questions regarding case sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    One thing to consider the watches you have all have 22mm lug width were as the SD4K only has 20mm which makes it feel
    A little bit more top heavy

If your need Coventry let me need and you could try my ones for size
    Thanks Bazza, might have to take you up on that, as I am now thinking I’ll take a punt on a 16600!!

Bloody watches. And you lot... bunch of enablers! ;)

Glad the pictures helped I also did a video for my channel comparing the two
    I haven't uploaded it yet will be out next week sometime

Here is a link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Thanks Bazza, might have to take you up on that, as I am now thinking I’ll take a punt on a 16600!!

I bought a 16600 on here last week.
    Absolutely love it. No regrets whatsoever

SD4K all the way for me.

^^^ this

When i got my SDK4 I though it was too heavy and thick. I bought it when my GMTc went in for service so was used to that. The SDK4 has become my firm favourite Rolex and gets the most wrist time. Not changed it for last 3 months as GMTc, Hulk and GV all gather dust ....

SD4K !
    Sold mine to a friend for 7750 last year
    He waves it under my nose every Monday evening over a beer😢

I have never owned the LV so can’t really give a fair comparison, recently purchased a full set A1 condition SD4K though.

Really enjoy the watch and wearing after a few weeks of ownership.

SD4 anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
    One of Rolex’s best sports watches and arguably the best Seadweller.

Master

Great watch, but for some reason they are a slow mover when you need to sell.

SD4k for me any time!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    SD4K !
    Sold mine to a friend for 7750 last year
    He waves it under my nose every Monday evening over a beer
    I derive no pleasure in saying this but selling a Rolex is, more than often, a mistake.

Better that it be on your wrist than on someone elses.

There's a 16600 for sale on the SC at the moment.

There's a 16600 for sale on the SC at the moment.
    Yeh, Henk’s

It looks great, I’m eying it up - but is 14 years outside of a service which is just making me think rather than jump right in

Yeh, Henk’s

It looks great, I’m eying it up - but is 14 years outside of a service which is just making me think rather than jump right in

I traded mine for £8k and it had just come back from a full service.

I traded mine for £8k and it had just come back from a full service.
    That was the area I was thinking... £8k-ish with recent service, or less accordingly.
    Service could be £1k if there are any surprises!

I might see if he’s open to negotiation.

That was the area I was thinking... £8k-ish with recent service, or less accordingly.

My service was £500 and that was just a full movement service, no polishing or bracelet work. You see these at dealers under £8k, so that suggests his is overpriced, hence its non sale.

My service was £500 and that was just a full movement service, no polishing or bracelet work. You see these at dealers under £8k, so that suggests his is overpriced, hence its non sale.
    I couldn’t find a 16600 at a dealers for £8k in really good condition and a full set.
    I took my new purchase to a friend who owns a jewellers and he gave my watch a once over and a pressure test.
    He said that if he was selling it with a full set he would price it at £9k to £9.5k as a collectors set for a quick sale or in the window at £10.5k and expect it to take a while to sell.

To be fair to Henck he is also probably thinking in Euros and the pound is not the strong atm.

I think his price is at the top end but not far off

Master
    There seem to be a few 16600 on Chronext at sub 8k. I suppose one of those with a fresh service would be good?

Master
    I must admit I genuinely thought of buying that and I always put a private purchase in for a Rolex service. I was given an off the cuff price of £600 as the absolute minimum but to expect around a grand to cover the usual "unexpected" items.

On the basis that the going rate for a good 16600 at £7,750 inc a recent service, he is going to have to drop to £7k max and probably a little bit lower.

I then remembered he once sent me an unwarranted mildly threatening pm, so stuff him, I would not want to trade with him under any circumstances whatsoever.

I expect gentlemanly conduct when buying / selling.