closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: seadweller when will they....

seadweller when will they....

Do we reckon rolex will ever drop the red writing on seadweller 126600? Must confess I thought it would be just for the celebration year only

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Do we reckon rolex will ever drop the red writing on seadweller 126600? Must confess I thought it would be just for the celebration year only
    I think they were crown-less in the celebration year, so that may be the distinguishing factor in years to come.
    Last edited by Boss13; 29th September 2020 at 16:02.

I like the pop of red - a nice touch

Why would they, it ran for nearly 10 years last time. As stated the true anniversary editions are distinguishable from the later version. Not sure if that will mean anything in years to come, but collectors do seem to have a thing about Mark 1 dials, so who knows.

yep 2017 and crownless

Who thought they would add the Cyclops? Impossible to say what they would do but given that it's an XL Sub I think they'll keep the red to differentiate it.

We need a diamond dot dial

I like those serti dials they used on the TT Sub - nearly bought one once.

Master
    They will remove the red text at some point, probably when we are all wearing smart watches...
    (Mk1 looking like a Mk2!)

Last edited by Loupe; 29th September 2020 at 16:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I think they were crown-less in the celebration year, so that may be the distinguishing factor in years to come.
    The crown is simply a recognition that the 43 has the new movement. Watches with and without the crown were being produced and sold at the same time. There is no real ‘anniversary year’ model, unless you point at watches sold during that first year. Trouble is, plenty of watches sold in 2018 will have been manufactured in 2017.
    To date, there has been no genuine update to the SD43. Great watch anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    They will remove the red text at some point, probably when we are all wearing smart watches...
    (Mk1 looking like a Mk2!)

Stunning looking watch Paul! I have to start wearing mine, just need someone to adjust the bracelet for me...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Stunning looking watch Paul! I have to start wearing mine, just need someone to adjust the bracelet for me...
    Ha! No probs, see you soon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The crown is simply a recognition that the 43 has the new movement.
    Agree, but in the first year they had the new movement but no crown...didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Agree, but in the first year they had the new movement but no crown...didn't they?
    And they came in the smaller box with the hang tag saying 'Oyster S' too.

I’m not its biggest fan, but the SD43 makes sense when you consider that the last SD40 (116600?) was a poor seller, despite being (theoretically) catnip to collectors (HEV, graduated bezel like the Mil-Sub, matte dial, more shapely lugs than the maxi case Sub).

The SD has probably always been a modest seller and, now that dive computers etc have come along, it now has to earn its keep in the modern Rolex range, as a luxury watch rather than a diver’s tool.

As such, they’ve made it different from the Sub by making the case bigger and putting that nice line of red text on. Yes they have put the cyclops on, but to the ‘normal man’ that just makes it more of a Rolex (and makes the date easier to read).

As such, I think the red line will stay until there’s a new reference/indefinitely.