closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bonneville, Cheetahs, Hot Rods and a 10 year absence...

Bonneville, Cheetahs, Hot Rods and a 10 year absence...

I sold off most of my watch collection over 10 years ago to concentrate on racing cars but with travel to America still banned, my interest in watches has returned. As my last post was in February 2010, thought I should tell you some of what I've been up to...

I first went to Bonneville Speed Week in 2007 to chase a record in the ex-works MG ZT-T built by SO-CAL Speed Shop and commissioned by McLaren F1 designer Peter Stevens, ending up going four times in 2007 and 2008, leaving me with a lifetime addiction to the salt.

I've been back most years since, racing a '32 roadster and a '29 roadster, which might have been about 100mph slower but were great fun. In 2012 I drove the '32 from New York to Bonneville, raced the car, then drove it back again, a round trip of over 5,000 miles. Cult film-maker Brian Darwas made a film about the trip called "Three Mile" which is on Amazon Prime.

I've raced the '32 at Bonneville, El Mirage dry lake, on the beach in New Jersey at The Race of Gentlemen and in Colorado at the Hot Rod Hill Climb. In March this year the car was invited to the concours at Amelia Island (known as "Pebble Beach East" or "The Racers' Concours") and the car won several awards.

The '32 was built by The Rolling Bones Hot Rod Shop in upstate New York and runs a 276 c.i. Flathead V8, 5 speed box and a quick-change Halibrand rear. I've racked up nearly 100k road miles in the car over the past 10 years, over 20k in one year alone with two coast to coast trips, NY to Bonneville and NY to Texas.

We've spent the last 8 years building a heavily chopped '34 coupe, which has a '57 392 c.i. Chrysler Hemi. That car should finally be ready to race next year.

In between all that there have been other cars, including a couple of Bill Thomas Cheetahs, one of which I raced in an amazing 120 mile road race on the Texas border, called The Big Bend Open Road Race.

Anyway, far too much to tell, so here's a few photos...
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 29th September 2020 at 14:46.

Here's a couple more photos - most are too high res' to post but these should give you a flavour.

Regards

Jon.

Here's a few of the Hemi-powered '34 coupe...

Blog Entries
    Great cars, loving that coupe.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hi there
    That Coupe looks fantastic.
    The roadster is cool enough, but that coupe is another level.
    Dave

Good to hear what you've been up to and that '34 Coupé looks epic! I'm guessing there's no hope that little old 6' 4" me could squeeze inside though
    Here's a taster for those that can't be bothered to click on the links. Hope you don't mind Jon.

More pics and info from ScottPhoto.co

https://www.scottphoto.co/rolling-bones-barn

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    A watch(any watch) or one of those truly wonderful cars, no contest, I'd just guess the time by the sun, or ask whom ever was nearest, thanks for sharing.
    Even my wife loved them.

Master
    "Been away for a while....
    Mic Drop!"

Sounds great & the motors look great.
    Have already stuck Three Mile on now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Quite enjoyed that, those are some crazy speeds in a 32.
    Brave!

Thanks for posting, I watched Three Mile and really enjoyed it. A lot of dedication for the thrill of racing those unique machines on the salt, which I can appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Great cars, loving that coupe.
    Great, glad you enjoyed the photos - I need to resize them and post some more.

Regards

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Hi there
    That Coupe looks fantastic.
    The roadster is cool enough, but that coupe is another level.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, good to be in touch again.

Funny thing is my return to TZ-UK is down to you - I was looking for a WW2 watch to wear in the '32 roadster which lead me to the Bulova A15, you recommended James to relume it and bang(!), here I am, currently half way through the next project with James!

The '34 coupe really is very special - it's had the rare privilege to be featured in Rodder's Journal in bare metal - Rodder's Journal is a quarterly magazine (well more of a softback book really) on hot rods but is stunning, the best car magazine I have ever seen irrespective of subject matter - simply beautiful and stunning photography - a feature in there is like an Oscar in the car world.

Thousands of hours have gone into the coupe - 10" chop, handmade track nose, radiused rear wheel arches, rolled rear pan, chassis cut off and completely refabricated from the bulkhead forwards, full length and louvred belly pan etc etc, gear knob specially commissioned from Jeff Decker and so the list goes on. A lot of artists/artisans or whatever you like to call them have been involved in the car over the past 8+ years.

Ken Schmidt of The Rolling Bones who is building the car was a professional fine artist,ainting scenes of the Old West, which he has now translated into cars, building traditional hot rods from that Post-War, Pre-Elvis era.

All the best

Jon
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 1st October 2020 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Good to hear what you've been up to and that '34 Coupé looks epic! I'm guessing there's no hope that little old 6' 4" me could squeeze inside though
    Here's a taster for those that can't be bothered to click on the links. Hope you don't mind Jon.

More pics and info from ScottPhoto.co

https://www.scottphoto.co/rolling-bones-barn

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks Gary, great to hear from you - we must all catch up again, I'd really enjoy that.

I'm struggling with posting photos so appreciate the help! The Race of Gentlemen (TROG) is a great and unique event - I met Springsteen that year, he was really taken with the roadster, have a photo somewhere.

You would get on well with Tim Scott - he's a pro photographer who only shoots in black and white, his oldest camera is a WW1 vintage plate glass tripod affair and his newest is barely early '70s. He's also into watches and has a quality collection - think his favourite is his FOIS - he looked after the roadster for me in Pomona for over two years and I just bought him a Forstner flat link as a "thank you" - it was not enough but trying to persuade Tim to take anything is a battle - he's always sending me great prints of his photos.

Let's try and catch up soon?

All the best

Jon.

P.S. At 6/4 you would fit, no problem - Ken is 6/2 with room to spare.
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 30th September 2020 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A watch(any watch) or one of those truly wonderful cars, no contest, I'd just guess the time by the sun, or ask whom ever was nearest, thanks for sharing.
    Even my wife loved them.
    Glad you enjoyed the photos, I'll try to post some more - most have been taken by pro-photographers so are very atmospheric.

Regards

Jon.

"Been away for a while....
    Mic Drop!"

Sounds great & the motors look great.
    Yeah, hadn't realised it had been so long until I checked my profile...

By the way, I didn't break the gearbox, honest, Jim the engine builder lunched it on the previous run but surprise, surprise, the "Limey" got the blame.

Regards

Jon

Quite enjoyed that, those are some crazy speeds in a 32.
    Brave!
    Good to see someone understands - 128 and change in a steel-bodied '32 at Bonneville is an achievement, fastest the car has ever gone and the last run in the car before I retired it (for now...) at Bonneville.

After that the car was completely rebuilt - the salt had eaten the bottom 3" of the car.

Nowadays I race her at El Mirage dry lake, the beach at Wildwood (Race of Gentlemen) and in Colorado.

The 5 speed transforms the car - it'll cruise at 80/85 comfortably on the highway.

Regards

Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thanks for posting, I watched Three Mile and really enjoyed it. A lot of dedication for the thrill of racing those unique machines on the salt, which I can appreciate.
    Glad you enjoyed the film, if you or anyone else on here are ever planning to go to Bonneville, let me know and I'll gladly give you any advice you need and you are welcome to join up with us on the salt.

Regards

Jon.

Heres a few photos of one of the Cheetahs at the race in Texas - was nearly bitten by a rattlesnake, which is not something that happens at Goodwood...
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 30th September 2020 at 20:12.

One more of the Cheetah lined up for the Big Bend Open Road Race in Texas...

Should have added that it's a 120 mile race on public roads through the desert, full of blind corners and adverse cambers. Biggest problem is road kill - average size of a wild hog is 200 - 300 lbs, hit that in a plastic fantastic Cheetah and there's not much left.

You pick a class and then have to average that speed for the entire 120 miles, with only a 10 mph leeway either side.

We were in the 110 mph class, partly because I was a rookie and partly due to tyre speed rating.

We were 11th out of 23, pretty good considering we only had a Garmin and two ropey stopwatches which couldn't keep the same time.

We lost the Garmin when it fell off the dash after we became airborne over a bridge - flattened the sidepipes when we landed...

It was so damn hot in the car that we couldn't wear our Nomex suits and so loud (126 dbs) that our ears were ringing for days.

This is the Southern equivalent of the Silver State Classic in Nevada. The organisers were really pleased that year as it was the first one where there hadn't been a fatality...

Regards

Jon.

More of the '32 roadster...

Just one more, Billy G wanted to buy the car some years ago but it was not for sale. Later on he had his own version built.

Regards

Jon.

AWESOME!

The Dale Haberfield photo is excellent, really captures the essence of the car.

Billy Gibbons is one of my guitar heroes, you're a lucky man Jon! I remember laughing out loud at the sheer audacity of CadZZila when I first saw it in the metal. Awesome and mental in the same breath.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    I’ve just watched the film and the cars and event look amazing, just leaves me waiting for the next chapter.

Congratulations on your achievements.

Spent a very enjoyable hour watching that last night. Great film.
    I really like the idea of just doing it right.
    Building the car, then driving it all the way out there, hopping from garage to party to freeway all along.
    Then screaming across the salt as fast as you can.
    Epic
    D

hi
    you sir are living the dream, well for me , i am a mere amature in hotrods only been at it for 40 years , but i have built my own which not may do ! one day i might make it to the salt before i depart but time is ticking LOL
    fantastic film
    dean

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    Great, glad you enjoyed the photos - I need to resize them and post some more.

Regards

Jon
    Yes please.