closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa Marine Classic

Craftsman

Stowa Marine Classic

I’ve been interested in these for a while but I’m really not sure if the 36 or 40 would be the better choice.

I feel like the 40 may look fairly large as there isn’t much bezel so it is mostly dial.

I also worry though that the 36 could be too small. I have approximately a 7.5” wrist for reference.

Any owners/ ex owners opinions on sizing or just general thoughts on these watches would be much appreciated.

I happily wear an Archimede Deck Watch, which is 42mm, and my wrist is a smidge over 7". However, the lugs are 20mm which makes a big difference. The norm for these watches in 42mm is 22mm lugs, and I think that would be a bit much for my taste. The 40mm Stowas have 20mm lugs and I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with that.
    F.T.F.A.

With a 7.5" wrist I'd definitely go with the 40mm though it's all personal preference. I've a Marine Original and have a 7.25" wrist, I do wear a 36mm Tudor Black Bay however for the Stowa the larger size suits it well.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the responses. I did have a feeling the 36 might be too small.

I did think about trying a preowned one first even if not in my ideal spec just to get a feel for them. For example there is a 40 with Roman numerals currently on eBay whereas my ideal spec would be Arabic with possibly small seconds.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I happily wear an Archimede Deck Watch, which is 42mm, and my wrist is a smidge over 7". However, the lugs are 20mm which makes a big difference. The norm for these watches in 42mm is 22mm lugs, and I think that would be a bit much for my taste. The 40mm Stowas have 20mm lugs and I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with that.
    Will have to take a look at the Archimede range also.

Perhaps try a WTB? These watches aren't sport/beater types so you might pick something up in really good nick, I bought my Archimede from SC.

PS. Sub seconds dial is the way to go!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    I’ve been interested in these for a while but I’m really not sure if the 36 or 40 would be the better choice.

I feel like the 40 may look fairly large as there isn’t much bezel so it is mostly dial.

I also worry though that the 36 could be too small. I have approximately a 7.5” wrist for reference.

Any owners/ ex owners opinions on sizing or just general thoughts on these watches would be much appreciated.
    I have a Stowa antea KS which is 35mm my wrist size is about the same as yours. Depends entirely on the style of the watch and what you wear it for mine looks just fine.

Craftsman
    Perhaps try a WTB? These watches aren't sport/beater types so you might pick something up in really good nick, I bought my Archimede from SC.

PS. Sub seconds dial is the way to go!
    I think that might be an idea. Even if I end up buying one from new at a later date to my exact spec.

That Archimede looks great. Exactly the look I have in mind.

40mm looks fairly standard on my 6.75 wrist.

36 on a 7.5 wrist would look small i feel.

i have a Stown, they are very much like Steinheart pilot watches i also own, i highly suspect Stowa make them for Steinheart or share simular suppliers and machines etc...

like many watches, not sure they are worth the retail lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    40mm looks fairly standard on my 6.75 wrist.

36 on a 7.5 wrist would look small i feel.

i have a Stown, they are very much like Steinheart pilot watches i also own, i highly suspect Stowa make them for Steinheart or share simular suppliers and machines etc...

like many watches, not sure they are worth the retail lol
    I think your right regarding the size, 40 it will be.

Really? I thought Stowa were supposed to be higher quality than Steinhart? I used to own a Steinhart OVM

This type of watch, like pilot watches, is ok to be a little on the big side IMO. I have 7 inch wrists and I can just about get away with the 40mm Mark18 so with 7.5inch wrists you'll be fine with 40mm. It's less than 11mm thick too so that will help.

Like most Steinharts, their Marine Chronometer is great value, but larger than the norm - it's 44mm wide and 14.2mm tall !
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Like most Steinharts, their Marine Chronometer is great value, but larger than the norm - it's 44mm wide and 14.2mm tall !
    I will have a look. They have started offering their divers in a smaller size which is good.

44mm does seem a bit too big as does 14.2mm

Stowa Marine Classic

I have a Stowa Marine Classic with central seconds hand and these dimensions:

Diameter: 40,00mm
    Height: 10,20mm
    Strap width: 20,00mm
    Lug-to-Lug size: 48,60mm

It wears a bit large on my 6.75 inch wrist, but in a way that seems appropriate for a deck watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I have a Stowa Marine Classic with central seconds hand and these dimensions:

Diameter: 40,00mm
    Height: 10,20mm
    Strap width: 20,00mm
    Lug-to-Lug size: 48,60mm

It wears a bit large on my 6.75 inch wrist, but in a way that seems appropriate for a deck watch.

I like the spec of yours and it looks great on that strap.

I wouldn’t say it looks too big on your wrist so I would imagine it would be absolutely fine for my wrist size.

How do you like it?

Master
    I've got the 40mm Stowa Auto too, puchased from here (from Ben) a couple of months ago. I absolutely love the aesthetic but can't help but feel it is a bit dial heavy. My wrist is 7.15" and to be honest something around 38mm would be about perfect in a watch with skinny bezels like this*. I am afraid I am a bit of a brand snob and consider the Stowa offerings as somehow a cut above the Archimede and Steinhart equivalent. Perhaps it is their longer history or perhaps I am mistaken but that's just me. It may well be that all 3 use the same suppliers (I believe Archimede use Ickler for the cases) but I like how Stowa do things the best. The quality is certainly similar between Archimede and Stowa, that is to say very high. I haven't tried Steinhart but always found their designs to not quite hit the mark for me.

*I found the 39mm 2500 movement Omega Railmaster the same, the size, at 39mm worked but the dial looked disproportionately large which is why many, even with larger wrists seem to prefer the 36mm case size.

Last edited by Padders; 29th September 2020 at 10:36.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I've got the 40mm Stowa Auto too, puchased from here (from Ben) a couple of months ago. I absolutely love the aesthetic but can't help but feel it is a bit dial heavy. My wrist is 7.15" and to be honest something around 38mm would be about perfect in a watch with skinny bezels like this*. I am afraid I am a bit of a brand snob and consider the Stowa offerings as somehow a cut above the Archimede and Steinhart equivalent. Perhaps it is their longer history or perhaps I am mistaken but that's just me. It may well be that all 3 use the same suppliers (I believe Archimede use Ickler for the cases) but I like how Stowa do things the best. The quality is certainly similar between Archimede and Stowa, that is to say very high. I haven't tried Steinhart but always found their designs to not quite hit the mark for me.

*I found the 39mm 2500 movement Omega Railmaster the same, the size, at 39mm worked but the dial looked disproportionately large which is why many, even with larger wrists seem to prefer the 36mm case size.

I do agree that possibly a 38mm would work well.

I know what you mean about Stowa seeming a cut above. I wonder if it’s just perception. I feel maybe the details are slightly finer. It’s obviously diminishing returns as the watches get more expensive.

I've not looked at Stowa for ages and their range is really nice at the moment. It's great that they're offering pilot and marine watches at 36 and 40mm, it's where Steinhart fail for me as their smallest cases are 44mm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've not looked at Stowa for ages and their range is really nice at the moment. It's great that they're offering pilot and marine watches at 36 and 40mm, it's where Steinhart fail for me as their smallest cases are 44mm.
    Agree, 44 seems excessive to me.

Ickler have been making cases since 1924, (hence the 1924 logo between the 6o'clock lugs) and in the early 2000s they started to produce watches, using the Archimede name. Their Deck Watch now uses the base 18,000 beat 6498 movement, but the hands are now heat blued rather than painted. The example I have uses the higher grade movement with Geneva stripe decoration and a higher beat rate of 21,6000, the case quality is superb. The one thing the Stowas have that Archimedes don't is a very nice swan neck regulator. If you want to see the best version of this movement without getting into Dornbluth territory then take a look at Eddie's "Sewill's Ferreira", unbelievable value for a limited edition watch with a three quarter top plate and all the other improvements to the movement. I regularly mull over selling the Archimede and A.N.Other in order to buy one, but can never decide which the A.N.Other should be. Meanwhile (apologies for the poor light) here's the back of mine, through the sapphire caseback . . .

F.T.F.A.

Ickler have been making cases since 1924, (hence the 1924 logo between the 6o'clock lugs) and in the early 2000s they started to produce watches, using the Archimede name. Their Deck Watch now uses the base 18,000 beat 6498 movement, but the hands are now heat blued rather than painted. The example I have uses the higher grade movement with Geneva stripe decoration and a higher beat rate of 21,6000, the case quality is superb. The one thing the Stowas have that Archimedes don't is a very nice swan neck regulator. If you want to see the best version of this movement without getting into Dornbluth territory then take a look at Eddie's "Sewill's Ferreira", unbelievable value for a limited edition watch with a three quarter top plate and all the other improvements to the movement. I regularly mull over selling the Archimede and A.N.Other in order to buy one, but can never decide which the A.N.Other should be. Meanwhile (apologies for the poor light) here's the back of mine, through the sapphire caseback . . .

Tourby are another German company that use Unita movements and you can upgrade to some exceptional hand engraved movements and dials including a swan neck regulator. I have one of their watches and the quality really is up there I would say above Stowa (I own two Stowa watches). Both Tourby and Stowa have excellent customer service.

Limes are another German company to look at.

I like the spec of yours and it looks great on that strap.

I wouldn’t say it looks too big on your wrist so I would imagine it would be absolutely fine for my wrist size.

How do you like it?
    The watch is nice. Mine has a hand-winding ETA movement, all brushed case, and solid sterling silver dial. I still have mixed feelings about it, though. I like wearing it occasionally and appreciate having it, but to me it can feel round and flat, and I sometimes wonder if I might have more fun with something else.

Craftsman

Thanks for that, the Archimede looks good, as does the Sewills.

I would love a Dornbluth eventually, amazing craftsmanship.

Worth looking at Dekla's Marine watch - about €150 cheaper than the excellent Archimede, and with many more customisable options for different dials, solid gold hands, crowns, arabic/latin indices, red-12, straps, etc. They, too, use the ETA Unitas 6498-1 movement.

Until very recently I owned a Steinhart Marine Chronometer, which was a lovely watch.

Yes it was big, but if you have the wrists for it (and it sounds like you might) then you might still want to consider it. It looked very similar to magirus's Stowa, and ran a hand-wind ETA Unitas 6498-1 movement.

Gratuitous photo...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Worth looking at Dekla's Marine watch - about €150 cheaper than the excellent Archimede, and with many more customisable options for different dials, solid gold hands, crowns, arabic/latin indices, red-12, straps, etc. They, too, use the ETA Unitas 6498-1 movement.

Very nice. Looks good value.

I think your right regarding the size, 40 it will be.

Really? I thought Stowa were supposed to be higher quality than Steinhart? I used to own a Steinhart OVM
    I had a Stowa 40mm hand winder and a Steinheart 44mm Nav B hand winder.

I compared both closely with a magnifing glass and although the parts are different shapes and sizes, i swear they came from the same factory or manufacturer.

The difference was that the Stowa had a Sappire display back and the Steinheart a mineral back. The Stowa had their name engraved nicely on the movement.

Its just my hunch but i thought that Stowa were reserving the smaller movement and pilots for themself and giving Steinheart the big uglier 6497.
    Notice how both brands never overlap and have the same pilot size and movment.

Of course im probably wrong and have zero proof.

The Steinhart pilots are high quality, i had a well used 10 year old one and it aged very well and was tough as nails.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

I was looking at those yesterday, they look impressive and I like all the options.

Certainly difficult to decide which is the better choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Until very recently I owned a Steinhart Marine Chronometer, which was a lovely watch.

Yes it was big, but if you have the wrists for it (and it sounds like you might) then you might still want to consider it. It looked very similar to magirus's Stowa, and ran a hand-wind ETA Unitas 6498-1 movement.

Gratuitous photo...

Simon
    Very nice!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I had a Stowa 40mm hand winder and a Steinheart 44mm Nav B hand winder.

I compared both closely with a magnifing glass and although the parts are different shapes and sizes, i swear they came from the same factory or manufacturer.

The difference was that the Stowa had a Sappire display back and the Steinheart a mineral back. The Stowa had their name engraved nicely on the movement.

Its just my hunch but i thought that Stowa were reserving the smaller movement and pilots for themself and giving Steinheart the big uglier 6497.
    Notice how both brands never overlap and have the same pilot size and movment.

Of course im probably wrong and have zero proof.

The Steinhart pilots are high quality, i had a well used 10 year old one and it aged very well and was tough as nails.
    Good to know that at the very least they are similar quality if not the same in some respects.

Whilst I had initially been looking at the Marine models I must say the pilot/fliegers have also become quite appealing.

Master

Steinhart Marine 38mm

I do agree that possibly a 38mm would work well.
    I have a Steinhart Marine 38mm that I could be tempted to sell. If you’re interested, please drop me a PM.