closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A good time to get out of the markets and drip back in?

A good time to get out of the markets and drip back in?

Back in March it was squeaky bottom time but things have surprisingly bounced back in many areas as we know despite the most bleeding obvious evidence all around us indicating a return to the dark ages is on the cards...

Just feels like this could be a good time to get out before things *really* come crashing down and as a strategy drip back in say 5% of fund values a month for the coming 2 years. I'm pretty diversified globally/sector wise in a number of funds and trackers but short of a session with Madame JoJo and her crystal ball on my local pier - any thoughts?

Yep, did see that but it had a got a bit long and windy...

I'm thinking more 'when' than 'where'. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Back in March it was squeaky bottom time but things have surprisingly bounced back in many areas as we know despite the most bleeding obvious evidence all around us indicating a return to the dark ages is on the cards...

Just feels like this could be a good time to get out before things *really* come crashing down and as a strategy drip back in say 5% of fund values a month for the coming 2 years. I'm pretty diversified globally/sector wise in a number of funds and trackers but short of a session with Madame JoJo and her crystal ball on my local pier - any thoughts?
    I sold everything (not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things) in my S&S ISA two or three times this year already(!) but each time I've ended up reinvesting the money as markets have continued to recover. I also think in the medium term there is quite a high risk of further falls.

I believe there is some historical precedent for reacting fairly swiftly if there is a crash but that generally there have always been opportunities to get out of the market before the bottom, if you were willing to accept the losses you'd already incurred.

In August I moved my pension funds into cash deposits. I expect high volatility in the months ahead with a medium chance we’ll see a crash - stock market/property and currency.

There’s a chance everything may go swimmingly but judging by HMG’s track record I think it’s unlikely. I may miss out on a rally, but I OK with that. I won’t be switching funds until the smoke clears re Brexit and the pandemic.

I was in the process of moving various funds into a Vanguard SIPP in March, so avoided the drop - lucky timing!

I also did the same with the wifes but caught out and took a bit of the hit - unlucky timing!

Neither invested back into the market (held as cash), although I do hold three individual stocks for a bit of 'fun', two doing well and the other not so.

I am holding off going back into funds (life strategy) until next year probably, or unless things really nose dive then drip feed back in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Might work. Might not. Who has any idea in these crazy times.

I was heavily in cash in both ISA and SIPPs - but have started to think that i'll drip feed some in each month for the next 6 months. I could be waiting for a correction point to entry for years!

Master
    Sitting 95% in cash until March next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Might work. Might not. Who has any idea in these crazy times.
    That sums it up nicely. Done it now and took the plunge - having missed getting out in March this seems like a second chance. All gone bar China and Biotech as I'm sure they will only go one way. And bloody Jupiter India, nurtured it for years but cannot bear to sell at current levels. Will see what lockdown/winter/Brexit/US election brings and I guess drip it all back in the coming year or two.
    Last edited by Max...; 29th September 2020 at 09:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I was in the process of moving various funds into a Vanguard SIPP in March, so avoided the drop - lucky timing!

I also did the same with the wifes but caught out and took a bit of the hit - unlucky timing!

Neither invested back into the market (held as cash), although I do hold three individual stocks for a bit of 'fun', two doing well and the other not so.

I am holding off going back into funds (life strategy) until next year probably, or unless things really nose dive then drip feed back in.
    Since 29th Feb my ISA is up just over 10% and looking at my graph I’d have done very well if I’d have gone all in with my allowance on the 18th of March. My SIPP is up 2.7% this year, both far outperforming my Marcus cash account but who know what the rest of the year will bring!

I think that the sentiment "cannot bear to sell at current levels" is precisely the thing that gets people into trouble when things start to he6ar down. I struggle with it myself.

Hold black and sell red.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That sums it up nicely. Done it now and took the plunge - having missed getting out in March this seems like a second chance. All gone bar China and Biotech as I'm sure they will only go one way. And bloody Jupiter India, nurtured it for years but cannot bear to sell at current levels. Will see what lockdown/winter/Brexit/US election brings and I guess drip it all back in the coming year or two.

Good luck. It seems business fundamentals don’t drive markets any more, seems flow of capital is the key driver and all this newly printed money needs a home. Markets look over valued to me, especially the USA but I fear I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I think that the sentiment "cannot bear to sell at current levels" is precisely the thing that gets people into trouble when things start to he6ar down. I struggle with it myself.

Hold black and sell red.
    Quite, forget what you paid and consider would you buy it today. If not, get rid and buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Quite, forget what you paid and consider would you buy it today. If not, get rid and buy something else.
    OK so what do people think is cheap at the moment? Not looking for individual shares but more general areas to invest. I have been taking some profits from gold but a bit stumped as to where to put the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    OK so what do people think is cheap at the moment? Not looking for individual shares but more general areas to invest. I have been taking some profits from gold but a bit stumped as to where to put the cash.

You’re back to crystal ball territory and maybe check the other topic (where to invest) but I’d sit on the cash and drip it in to a range of sectors/territories as always in the coming year. What else can you do?

Time in the market not timing the market and all that. Although this whole topic is about timing the market a bit I admit.

I’ve always spread things around via mixed funds and trackers as above with cash in premium bonds as even at 1-2 % it was the safest place and best return. Peer to peer worked great for a few years but that all went belly up and slowly clawing it back from Funding Circle is a painful process.

Two years ago on a punt bought a few Apple/Alphabet/Amazon shares separate from the funds. Man, I wish I’d bought more.

I am not convinced of this drip feeding idea if you already have accumulated a reserve to invest rather than investing a regular income, except that it may be better than trying to time the market.

Put what you can afford in the market across a portfolio and decide if you're going to leave it in come what may or if you're going to manage it by moving it in, out and all about yourself or pay someone else to do that.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 29th September 2020 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I am not convinced of this drip feeding idea if you already have accumulated a reserve to invest rather than investing a regular income, except that it may be better than trying to time the market.

Put what you can afford in the market across a portfolio and decide if you're going to leave it in come what may or if you're going to manage it by moving it in, out and all about yourself or pay someone else to do that.
    I’m minded to agree with that and I’ve never sold out to go back in before but just feel things are more extreme this time and we’re at a crossroads.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m minded to agree with that and I’ve never sold out to go back in before but just feel things are more extreme this time and we’re at a crossroads.
    We were at the cross roads ages ago. I think we are past the point of panic now.

Going forward I suspect we will be in a slow recovery.

Markets seem over valued but I think that is the new normal.