closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wearing a mouth mask during the day. How often should one change?

Blog Entries

Wearing a mouth mask during the day. How often should one change?

In another thread, I wrote about the fact that I wear a mouth mask during the 4 mornings I'm at a school. 7.30AM -> 12AM. How often do I change it for a new one? (Standard light blue, throw-away mask). Any ideas or rules about that. Here in The Netherlands, there's nothing useful to find about that.

Your ideas or pointers towards a link would be appreciated.

Menno

Master
    Operating surgeons wear a single mask for the duration of surgery so I think half a day is fine, assuming it doesn’t become soaked and that you don’t keep touching it.

PS there are lots of papers on this, plus guidance to healthcare workers on how long they can wear one continuously; I’ll try to find and link one when I get a second.

Master
    We use type IIR masks at work These are fluid resistant surgical masks. Our professional guidance is that these are sessional items so we try for morning and then afternoon.
    If they get soiled early. In theory if they come off for any reason they should also be changed.
    Take a really good look at the boxes you get as surgical masks are not equal. The metal strip that you mould to your nose varies massively in its flexibility and the elastic loops vary in length. The problem we have is getting the same ones. Ours now come direct from NHS supplies and are often different brands!

You use the term "mouth mask." Can we assume you mean face mask, also covering the nose?

Stay healthy, Menno!

Tom

P.S. I guess the opposite would be a "Trump mask," but you might not like results!

SydR

Wearing a mouth mask during the day. How often should one change?

General guidance:-

“There is no set time, nor recommended number of masks you should use each day. It all depends on what you are doing.

However, if your mask gets dirty, wet or damaged, or if you touch the inside of it, then you should change to a new one.

When you take it off to eat or drink, you should dispose of the old mask, wash or sanitise your hands, and replace it with a new one once you have finished eating.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    You use the term "mouth mask." Can we assume you mean face mask, also covering the nose?

Stay healthy, Menno!

Tom

P.S. I guess the opposite would be a "Trump mask," but you might not like results!

Thanks! Mouth mask is the translation from the Dutch word. Our word includes the nose... A 'face mask' translated into Dutch is indeed what the Lone Ranger is wearing.

And, I wish you the same! Stay healthy.
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th September 2020 at 21:58.

My wife works in a school and she asked me the same, not read any guidance and she has the standard blue disposal type, I told her to replace it as soon as the outside of it starts to feel damp. She doesn’t wear one all the time but now uses them 2-3 times for around 15-20 minutes a time and then bins it.

The pre-departure safety / PPE briefing on a BA flight I took recently included advice that a standard disposable mask is good for about four hours.

Living in HK wearing a mask has become normal and would follow the advice above and minimum change the mask daily and be careful when touching the mask when moving it and taking it on and off. Also never slide the mask under your chin to eat as the inside of the mask will touch the exposed underside of your chin and will negate the use of the mask.

Also cloth fabric masks have become popular in hk where you can wash them and reuse so to minimise the wastage of paper masks.

Looking at the state of masks on people around me in London, I think the general consensus from the population is never wash cloth masks and keep paper ones for months.