closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever watch a TV series twice? Or more?

Master

Do you ever watch a TV series twice? Or more?

Over the years there’s been some great series on television - Dexter or Gomorrah for example but I rarely ever watch an entire show twice even if it’s really good. No idea why, maybe because I know what happens? I’ve watched the entire series of Game of Thrones and the U.S. Office twice - one because they were both brilliant but two because of a couple of quite bad illnesses that left me bed bound for a number of weeks/months at the time.

Last week however my wife was asking when Discovery of Witches was on again as she loved the first series and there’s nothing much to watch right now. I talked her into watching The Witcher on Netflix, which I’d seen a few months back and she’s watched half an episode and given up.

I said that due to different time zones In the show it takes at least 2 episodes to understand it but it’s as good as GOT. We’ve bing watched all 8 in the last week and I’ve enjoyed it far more second time around.

If you haven’t seen it and you like GOT, you’ll like this!

Master
    I watched series one of The Boys again prior to series two starting and it was just as enjoyable second time around. I’ve also started Cobra Kai for the second time. Again, just as enjoyable.
    I love GoT but due to so many seasons it’s putting me off starting it again because it’s going to take a while to get through it.

Rarely. Recently watched Line of Duty session 1 again and before S8 go GoT we re-watched S1-7
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Only ever watched sopranos twice.

Not really, although Breaking Bad I will def watch again someday as it was simply brilliant..

I’ve watched series one of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet probably 20 times; used to view a couple times a year but last was over a decade ago, managed a revisit during lockdown.

If any of you youngsters haven’t seen it I highly recommend, IMO it’s the best TV series ever for wit and heart; the writing and casting really couldn’t have been better.

Some kind fella has uploaded the lot (and all the other series) to YT https://youtu.be/QqOzVwQnqRE

Reginald Perrin (all four series), Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Watery Fowls and possibly one or two more. Which reminds me, I really ought to find League of Gentlemen again.

I quite fancy watching GOT again, and Battlestar Galactica (the new one). I suspect I'll watch the new Star Trek stuff again. And it's inevitible I'll watch Brooklyn 99 again in two or three years' time, once I've forgotten what happened.

I tend to watch the Star Wars films every few years, and used to watch the Harry Potter series at Christmas. Now I have kids I don't have the time but maybe I just want to wait until they're a bit older so I can watch the films with them.
    Last edited by Foxy100; 27th September 2020 at 20:38.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I've watched quite a few (too many to mention) two times over. Mad Men, The Wire, The Sopranos, Entourage, have all been watched between 3 and 6 times each. I'm the same with films, when I like something I tend to go back and re-watch periodically. You always tend to pick up the really good shows and films in a different way as you grow older, mature, shift in your worldview.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I’ve watched series one of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet probably 20 times; used to view a couple times a year but last was over a decade ago, managed a revisit during lockdown.

If any of you youngsters haven’t seen it I highly recommend, IMO it’s the best TV series ever for wit and heart; the writing and casting really couldn’t have been better.

Some kind fella has uploaded the lot (and all the other series) to YT https://youtu.be/QqOzVwQnqRE
    They are a good series with a great theme tune, I remember British brickies all heading to Germany in the 80's as I think it was tax free, good money, beer and of course while the cats away!!

Fawlty Towers over and over, and over and over again … then watch it again, over and over.

Watching the Bridge again at the moment, got through Line of Duty over lockdown, but I often watch the last 3 episodes of Breaking bad back to back, amazing TV.

I’ve watched The Wire twice and am starting to get the itch to watch it again.

Master
    I'm currently watching Star Trek : The Next Generation all the way through. I saw most of them in the '80s and '90s. I watched every episode (all 250-odd) of M*A*S*H in 2008; I'd seen most of them before. I've been contemplating re-watching Dexter and House. I watched the first couple of series of 24 a second time, a couple of years ago.

I watched the Sweeney complete box set in 2005. I'd seen most or all of them in the '70s.

I certainly watch repeats of Dad's Army, Porridge, The Likely Lads etc from time to time.

Friends, House MD, maybe one or two other shows.

Many times!

Do you ever watch a TV series twice? Or more?

Fawlty Towers (am I right in recalling only 12 episodes were ever made?), Only Fools and Horses, Gavin and Stacy, and Friends (though none in the correct order)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I watch The Wire and The Sopranos every other year: this year it's The Wire. I've also watched the British version of Utopia at least three times.

Master
    My mrs keeps trying. 3 times we have sat down for me to say I seen this. Her reply your full of s&it never seen this it’s new....... bit of research it’s a repeat. Once I seen a series once never watched again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I watch The Wire and The Sopranos every other year: this year it's The Wire. I've also watched the British version of Utopia at least three times.
    I saw there was a us remake of Utopia on Amazon Prime so watched the first episode and what an utter scooby doo-doo-like mess.
    Dug the UK original out to re-watch the first episode and compare and 'a few' hours later had watched first season on a row. Best thing seen on tv.

Yep frequently.

Watched all 4 series of the Bridge twice since lockdown began and more recently all the Line of Duty series too.

Rarely.

I did watch all of the IT Crowd, Black Books and Flight of the Conchords on DVD having seen them on TV originally.

Recently, we watched Cold Feet's original set of series and Coupling, again on DVD and I'm slowly working my way through 24 again, but most were watched so long ago that I don't remember much, so it's like watching them for the first time!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People (Alec Guinness)

House Of Cards trilogy (Ian Richardson)

Fraisier and Friends

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

24, house of cards, Lucifer, GOT, Friends, The Medeci, Big Bang.

There are some great ones here which I’ll be adding the the list!

What’s everyone watching at the moment? Just finished Napoleon on Prime. Anything new on Netflix - thinking to swap back next month!

S

in so many dimensions you hoopy froods

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Sopranos, The Wire and The West Wing have all been watched at least three times once my current viewing of the The West Wing is finished.

As long as I live they will be either being watched or in the pipeline. They're far and away the peak of television drama. I doubt we'll ever see their like again.

Craftsman
    Peep Show, but I’ll just stick a random episode on rather than watch a complete series in order.

Master
    ER - the only long form drama series I've watched through twice.

Seen likes of Fawlty Towers, Blackadder etc many times but not many episodes and not very long ones either.

Master
    This thread made me look to see if Sopranos was available on any streaming service in full yet - and it's on Sky Go in full. That's my next series to watch then once I've finished SnowPiercer.

Only fools & horses. Lost count

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    I saw there was a us remake of Utopia on Amazon Prime so watched the first episode and what an utter scooby doo-doo-like mess.
    Dug the UK original out to re-watch the first episode and compare and 'a few' hours later had watched first season on a row. Best thing seen on tv.

Utopia is indeed excellent television. Coincidentally there is a lengthy review/write up of the US version in today's Guardian. The creator of the original series, Dennis Kelly, says he always felt there should have been at least a special to finish off the story and I agree. Sadly it was quite a niche programme and the viewing figures scuppered that. I usually give US remakes a try, but I've never seen one through, after reading the review and seeing your comments I won't be bothering with this.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I've got 2 episodes left of the UK Utopia having watched it before. Its so good!!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    On the drama front, I've watched the West Wing a few times over.
    My young lad is into aviation, especially helicopters, and I've started him on Airwolf - not having watched it myself since I was probably his age. Not groundbreaking TV by any means but it's one of the few series from the 80s that seems to have aged well and we might get through all of the seasons together.

For comedy, its would have to be Cheers, Friends and Seinfeld.

Master
    The Boys and Stranger Things, both excellent.

It's generally comedy series that I return to: Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Black Books, Farty Towels, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy etc..

However, the one comedy series that I've watched more than any other is Early Doors. Great script & fantastic cast; even James McAvoy is good in it!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It's generally comedy series that I return to: Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Black Books, Farty Towels, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy etc..

However, the one comedy series that I've watched more than any other is Early Doors. Great script & fantastic cast; even James McAvoy is good in it!

Ah yes, Early Doors, magnificent. Like most of the best comedy only two series.
    F.T.F.A.

The Expanse, GoT, probably watch Outlander again as I'm reading the books. I might be going ot here but there are some films I'll always watch if they are on.

Master
    I’m constantly watching the sopranos and curb your enthusiasm I could watch them forever and too a lesser extent the office

Quite a few: House, Dexter, Banshee, Justified, The Shield, Jericho, Last Man Standing, Cougartown...........................

Grand Master
    Everything the dragon watches about 2000 times
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Yes farther ted and lovejoy

A late call for The Inbetweeners which I've watched start to finish three or four times.

And Star Trek TNG which I've not seen a single episode of in 20 years is first on my watch list either in my divorce flat or retirement home, whichever comes first

Gangs of London

Minder many many times

The professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only Fools,
    Blackadder,
    Red Dwarf,
    Fawlty Towers,
    Summer Wine (from the beginning till the end of Foggy's second stint),
    Knight Rider...

Blog Entries
    Too many to list, I suppose.

A few from that list: Falty Towers, Blackadder (WWI), (nearly all) Monty Python, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Boys. Planning to re-watch the last series of Bosch just before the new season starts. Goliath is high on that list as well (when a new season will start).

Menno

Master
    Loads of comedy stuff, red dwarf in particular.
    Currently on season 6 of dexter on our second run through and considering giving 24 another whirl. Thought about trying Lost again but I'm not sure I can do that to myself a second time!!
    X-files looks likely, the whole 9 series box set is about 20 quid on dvd!

With me its movies, I have maybe a dozen "go to" flicks that I've seen between 10 and 20 times.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Mad Men, The Wire, The Sopranos, Entourage
    All of the above also, though Entourage for different reasons (simple enjoyment) than the other three (which are so rich & densely layered that repeated viewings are rewarded).

Plus, they are top-notch programmes, with acting, writing, cinematography etc. of the highest level, worth re-watching.

Add Band of Brothers (incredible piece of work), and - to a lesser extent - The Shield, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    in a different way as you grow older, mature, shift in your worldview.
    100%. There's so much in Mad Men in particular that resonates more with age; the writing is of an incredibly high level as regards human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    There are a some good podcasts to accompany:

The Sopranos
    https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/
    Perfect example - though I consider myself very well-versed re The Sopranos, Michael Imperioli has further enlightened me as regards some hidden pleasures & clever work in how that show was made.

As an aside, the book 'Difficult Men' by Brett Martin is a fascinating exploration of the creators / showrunners behind Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Wire etc. Well worth a read.

Master
    Yes, I do. Currently watching Strike Back series 1. Also watching Judge John Deed.

Seinfeld, Curb, Cheers and Frasier.

Porridge, Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools.

I have watched all of these multiples times - fantastic acting, except for Jerry and Larry, not that’s there’s anything wrong with that.

I have also enjoyed Planet Earth.