closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trip to London right now?

Master

Trip to London right now?

I’ve been planning to go to London for a meeting for some time now (months). Without going into it, it’s not urgent and I could put it off for longer, though the way things are I wonder how long that will be.

With the changing situation with the virus is it a silly thing to do right now or are people still getting on with meetings and is it business as usual in London? I’d be getting the train from Tiverton to Paddington and going to my meeting. Have considered whether to stay overnight and doing some shopping whilst I’m up there. Or getting the train back the same day. Did a similar trip to Bristol a couple of weeks back and it was fine, however the mood seems to have changed with the virus and lockdowns lately.

This is the George so please let’s not get political. I’d just like to here from anyone in London and what their thoughts are. Thanks.

CV is last of your worries if you wear a Rolex!! Stay down here in the South West..

I was in London Friday for lunch and a meeting and it was fine. I avoided the tube by walking, Liverpool Street to mansion house and borough market. Most people were sensible with masks and avoiding people. It was quite quiet, I would avoid commuting times and it should be fine.

Craftsman
    I’m still doing London two days a week (working from home isn’t an option) and I travel on the same line as you want to use. It was getting a bit busier in general but was notably quiet last week.

Train is generally very quiet, social distancing is no problem and on the whole people are abiding by the rules (masks etc). Don’t bother with first class you’ll easily get a table seat. Not all services have a drinks/food trolly, seems to be very hit and miss! So pack your own food/drink if you want or need it.

I then take the Circle line, again the tube is generally quiet but certainly busier than it was. Again compliance seems generally good, mainly the younger population ignoring the rules but much less so last week.

Hotels are cheap and quiet. I stay at the Hotel Indigo which has no public areas (bars etc) open. I tend to get my evening meal from JustEat or a Tesco. Express!

I work very near Liverpool Street station. It’s way quieter than it used to be. Plenty of restaurants, bars and coffee shops are still closed.

I’ve not been anywhere near the busy shopping areas for quiet some time so have no idea how busy they are.

Last week there were police around the stations checking compliance to mask wearing etc. That was new.

It’s all down to your view own risk I guess but follow the rules and avoid busy areas (personally I wouldn’t go anywhere near the pubs/bars the younger set use) and I think it’s fine.

Is it as safe as the sleepy part of the National Park I live? No. Have I caught C-19? No.

Ultimately it is personal choice. HTH

Master
    Thank you - that is very helpful and much appreciated :-)

Master
    London may be more quiet than what it was this time last year but I would guess it is still more busy than the place where you are living out in the sticks.

A return journey of say 8-10 hours in a train plus the underground has still got to be risky.

If you are on the wrong side of 50, I would stay well away unless it is really essential.

Also remember, if you go up there and become infected, a few days later you could be passing it on to your wife, so is it really worth the risk ?

Master
    I live here and travel on the tube every day to get to work. Essentially rush hour is as busy as off peak used to be and off peak is fairly quiet except around 10pm! I work fairly near Paddington and it isn't generally too busy around there. As others have said, I generally walk if possible as it is nicer and obviously less risky!

Took the train back from Exeter 2 weeks ago and plenty of space so you could easily be 2m from other passengers. As above, no food on board so take your own!

Shopping areas are quiet in the centre, local shopping centres are busier with all the people working from home in outer London areas.

There is nowhere I would not be comfortable travelling to because of coronavirus as long as I am as sensible there as I am at home, I don't expect behaviours of others to be drastically different in other parts of the country to be honest.

Master
    I've been in London three times since lockdown started, for a mixture of work and pleasure. I will probably visit again in next two weeks.

Trains are quiet, with lots of space around you.
    First two time I walked when I got in as I was mainly around Mayfair, third time I took the tube to get to Paddinton.
    London is eerily quiet, with few tourist and many shops and restaurant closed.
    Tube is busier than trains, but not very busy. Keeping distance may occasionally be difficult, especially on escalators. I found people generally sensible. I did have the misfortune of travelling in during a big any Covid protest, but even then didn't feel unsafe.
    I would say that larger chain restaurants and cafes (Pret, Starbuck etc.) are open as are some other, smaller establishments. Mid range place, seem to be more badly affected.
    I drank and ate at a number of place around Mayfair and Paddington. Felt perfectly safe, but the experience varied venue to venue. With the current, additional, restrictions in place I imagine the experience is less salubrious.
    Many museums are closed, and other need pre-booking. I visited the National Gallery, enjoyed it, but had to pre-book.
    I never felt unsafe, but I haven't felt unsafe in years in London. I was wearing an Omega, rather than a Rolex so that may have been the difference. :)

Master
    I needed to go in last Tuesday for the finalisation of a project I have been working on. My clients office is just off Fleet Street and it was absolutely desolate around there.

I did avoid the tube though I must admit, didn’t really fancy that. The train was absolutely fine though - very quiet and 100% in masks both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you are on the wrong side of 50, I would stay well away unless it is really essential.
    I would agree with this, but if that is the reason then it's not just London, it also puts lots of other cities and towns out of bounds too, most of South Wales is now locked down..

It's interesting to read that those of you who regularly visit London say its so quiet, not being locked down means a lot of people must be still working from home which I imagine will become more permanent, this really will hurt certain small businesses and public transport in London.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 27th September 2020 at 19:36.

Craftsman
    1) London is fine to visit
    2) No one cares about rolex's in central London
    3) Paddington has people going into offices, most will be at 10-20%. Only 40% of shops are open however. ( I spent the summer going in to use our rooftop)
    4) Tubes are getting busier, outside of peak time it will be empty
    5) It is great not having both foreign and domestic tourists on the streets right now
    6) Bar and restaurants will be busy post work
    7) Most people are being sensible with masks, track & trace and hand sanitisers.

I live and work in Zone 1, if you've got any questions you want answered more then happy to help.

Master
    Going further, I would say it is actually quite a good time to visit London in some ways!

Less domestic and international tourists, pretty much all museums etc are open and all the sights are much easier to see. I work on the edge of the City but actually went for a leisure walk round various bits a few weeks ago because you can really admire the architecture when you aren't swamped with hundreds of office workers everywhere!

Restaurants, both where I am and centrally are generally open. Some in hotels aren't (e.g. Alain Ducasse sadly ;) aren't but I have been to several fairly well known ones which aside from the COVID measures are fairly normal.

I haven't looked but I'm sure going into the autumn, hotel prices in the central areas are well down on the same time last year, albeit quite a few remain closed.

Master
    Was there most of last week.
    Almost pleasurable to drive past Knightsbridge, Buckingham Palace and to the south bank.
    Deserted for London and was great to cycle about. Only went on 2 tubes and was probably 2 or 3 people in the carriage at either time.

I was asked for a face to face meeting on Friday with a big firm but HR wouldn't allow it.

I think things are going back to a degree of normal in the city -- Bishopsgate, Barbican, Moorgate, Aldgate etc. maybe Canary Wharf too.

Shopping will be fine but I wouldn't be so keen on the tube right now.

I'm assuming since you are asking, you must be at risk or shielding? I think only you can weigh your own risk apetite up. I've been happy to be out and about in London since lockdown finished. It's much quieter than usual, but that's probably still busier than Devon. The trains into London will be much quieter. The only thing I notice in the last week or so is a definite social distancing "fatigue", particularly those in early 20s and younger. Lots of teens ignoring masks on tubes and at stations and shopping malls.

Personally, if I considered myself at serious risk if I caught covid, I wouldn't be going and would still shield at home/outdoors where the chance of catching it is minimal...I'd be avoiding London just because of transit and indoor scenarios. If you have no risk factor, then I'd be happy to go.
    Last edited by Christian; 27th September 2020 at 21:52.

Blog Entries
    If you want to visit watch shops - central London is a good time to visit without the usual plethora of foreign and national tourists. You may even get lucky and pick up a rare one..

Contrastingly - I was in N. Devon on holiday last month and some (small) towns were packed out with summer tourists with little social distancing and loads of families eating and drinking while walking - so no masks. Not so much their fault as the pavements of Devon are not designed for more than one person to pass in some places (a bit like the roads!).

All the best. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th September 2020 at 22:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming since you are asking, you must be at risk or shielding?
    Almost never had a day off due to sickness in my life then around 6 years ago (in the summer) I had pneumonia and it knocked me for six - hospitalised then long recovery. Couple of years later, had an operation that went horrendously wrong - two months bedridden and still to this day I’ve got pains from it. Turned out I’ve some blood clotting issue. A couple of years back I then had labrynthitus and never completely got my balance back . . . However my Doctor doesn’t think I’m at risk above any other 50 year old. I’m not shielding or feel at risk. All 3 things have had quite a big impact in my life but i was just very unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you want to visit watch shops - central London is a good time to visit without the usual plethora of foreign and national tourists. You may even get lucky and pick up a rare one..

Contrastingly - I was in N. Devon on holiday last month and some (small) towns were packed out with summer tourists with little social distancing and loads of families eating and drinking while walking - so no masks. Not so much their fault as the pavements of Devon are not designed for more than one person to pass in some places (a bit like the roads!).

All the best. Martyn
    Well since you’ve mentioned it, if I do go I’d probably take a peek in a couple of watch shops whilst I’m there - would be rude not to! My meeting would be nearby the shops I’d want to visit.

Even with all the visitors we had in July and August, cases of the virus have remained very low down here and where you were staying. We were very busy in the tourist areas, but I think in the main people do try and be careful. If I go to London, I will do exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Almost never had a day off due to sickness in my life then around 6 years ago (in the summer) I had pneumonia and it knocked me for six - hospitalised then long recovery. Couple of years later, had an operation that went horrendously wrong - two months bedridden and still to this day I’ve got pains from it. Turned out I’ve some blood clotting issue. A couple of years back I then had labrynthitus and never completely got my balance back . . . However my Doctor doesn’t think I’m at risk above any other 50 year old. I’m not shielding or feel at risk. All 3 things have had quite a big impact in my life but i was just very unlucky.
    In that case, I think it should be ok. Just be mindful to avoid touching stuff and use hand gel whilst in town. The tubes aren’t absolutely packed like they used to be. Considering we never used to even think about transmitting or catching flu I’d have thought the absolute risk from covid is small at the moment, which I read is carried by roughly 1 in 900...although I’m sure there are a few here that consider that advice reckless as it is all down to personal risk opinion.

Contrastingly - I was in N. Devon on holiday last month and some (small) towns were packed out with summer tourists with little social distancing and loads of families eating and drinking while walking -
    Tell me about it, the M5 around here has been a nightmare, holidays abroad being restricted has led to an exodus of people heading south, with cases in the south west being low I understand the "dont bring yer disease down er" attitude but many were also moaning how they will struggle through the winter without summer tourist money.

Master
    Back end of August into Sept I had 2 weeks working in London, the hotel was out at Wembley but we regularly jumped on the train/tube into the centre.

The tubes and trains were quiet with most people masked up. Pubs were doing a good job of organising people and we had no issues with feeling unsafe.

Contrast that with home where the High St is rammed with tourists, masks are virtually non existent and many of the locals don’t even think Corona exists, I know where I’d rather take my chances.

I live in London and although I've been WFH since March I have been into town for occasional meetings and for dinners etc since lockdown ended. Mrs Cain has been in her office 2-3 days a week since July. Our experience is that the Underground is really very quiet: there are more folks travelling at peak times, but I can get a seat at "rush hour" which would've been unheard-of pre-Covid - I would normally expect to wait for two or three trains before I could cram on, at peak time. So that's chalk and cheese. Outside "rush hour", I've rarely been in a carriage with more than 6 or 7 other people, that's Jubilee Line between Bond St and London Bridge.

The City is dead by usual standards; most of the independent sandwich shops etc are closed, Pret et al doing sluggish trade and the general impression I have is that offices are at 10% capacity at most. It's like going in on a Saturday. Mayfair has been a bit more lively, but nothing that has made me anxious or given cause for concern. Mrs Cain has seen significant crowds around the bars in Shoreditch when on her way home last week, but it's not as if that was unpredictable... The various restaurants I've been to have been uniformly excellent in terms of Covid control, too - though I did get notified that I'd been in proximity to someone who tested positive, and had to isolate for a fortnight, that's a risk you run going out anywhere (and I tested negative).

As others have said, do your own risk assessment - but personally, as a healthy 44 year old with no risk factors, I've got no issue with going into town with the usual precautions (mask, hand hygiene).

The lack of crowds really does bring home the extent of the economic impact of all this, though.

My experience of using public transport here is that folks seem to stick to mask wearing on the tube but can't be arsed on the buses, which is a shame as the bus journeys are more interesting than the tube ones.

Devon and Cornwall had millions of visitors in pubs, bar and restaurants over the summer. The number of COVID cases in Devon and Cornwall is square root of nothing at the moment.

Just exercise common sense and you’ll be fine travelling anywhere you are allowed to in the UK, including the big smoke.

Master
    I live in zone 2 and work all over London. It is absolutely fine, nay, a joy to travel around at the moment. It is very quiet (note: I avoid travelling at peak times so can't comment there) and the vast majority seem to be abiding by the rules.

Not wishing to derail the thread but I urge you to consider the data.

The worst thing about central London at the moment is that's it's a bit depressing. It's all very easy, but it's not how it should be.

Camden, on the Thursday I went about three weeks ago, was packed though. You wouldn't have guessed there was any kind of situation occurring.

Craftsman
    I live in London and in NW1, the most recent data says there were fewer Covid cases than the national average. You can check it here ->

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

It might be harder to get a hotel in London because of the potential curfew - cheap deals might not be as easy to come by.

I have been back and forth between mine in SE19 and my partners in N4 by bike. It’s odd that it’s actually busier in the outlying areas but very quiet in the centre, we had to go in to Bloomsbury yesterday and while I waited for my partner I walked round the museum(outside), Russel square and Store St in a loop and it was very quiet, few people round the museum but probably a good time to visit.
    There are the odd busy spots with outside seating like exmouth market but it certainly seems like it’s quieter than smaller city centres due to the burbs having enough shops and restaurants open to not need to travel in.

When you look at the weekly updated map it’s apparent London is a currently better proposition for a city visit than places like Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds etc.
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...2c5f6912ed7076

Master
    Thanks for everyone’s help. Made the decision and went up this morning. Very quiet at Taunton station, train even quieter. London is very quiet compared to what I’ve experienced in the past. Had my meeting and also went to New Bond Street to look at watches :-)

Just leaving now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Devon and Cornwall had millions of visitors in pubs, bar and restaurants over the summer. The number of COVID cases in Devon and Cornwall is square root of nothing at the moment.

Just exercise common sense and you’ll be fine travelling anywhere you are allowed to in the UK, including the big smoke.
    Had this discussion with my Girlfriend the other day. I bet exported cases up from said places are high though?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for everyone’s help. Made the decision and went up this morning. Very quiet at Taunton station, train even quieter. London is very quiet compared to what I’ve experienced in the past. Had my meeting and also went to New Bond Street to look at watches :-)

Just leaving now.
    Did you spot anything that could part you
    with your cash?? I went up and ended up putting holding deposit on a YM 40mm roselor. rather expensive trip!!

Master
    Did you spot anything that could part you
    with your cash?? I went up and ended up putting holding deposit on a YM 40mm roselor. rather expensive trip!!
    Yes I did spot something that could part with my cash and yes I did part with my cash!

Yes I did spot something that could part with my cash and yes I did part with my cash!
    Good for you. Glad the trip went well and look forward to seeing the incoming.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Good for you. Glad the trip went well and look forward to seeing the incoming.

People live somewhere other than London??

Seriously though, it's no big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    People live somewhere other than London??

Seriously though, it's no big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Oh yes, although those who live in London are blissfully unaware of it usually. 😂

Couldn’t drag me near the hole with a coach and horses tbh.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.