closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Microsoft Office 10 - help

  1. #1
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Microsoft Office 10 - help

    Total thicko question but here goes.
    I have a laptop that I have only ever used for internet browsing, email and streaming but I have a new customer who has just sent over some documents which my laptop won't open but it is telling me Office is the recomended program
    It came with Office 10 installed but I never entered the activation key as it was something I didn;t think I'd ever use. I've looked online and there are plenty of sites that claim Office 10 is now a free download but following their links they all seem to be some sort of scam and there is nothing on the official Microsoft website apart from the fact that are stopping support for Office 10.
    So without going back to the customer and telling them I'm too stupid to open a simple Word / Excel document is there a legitimate way of getting Office 10 cheap or opening said documents?
    Go easy as I'm about to launch this laptop into orbit

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    556
    You could try installing Libre office (free) and seeing if that will open the files.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK, Maldives, Singapore
    Posts
    301
    Why not use Google docs if you have Internet?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    You could try installing Libre office (free) and seeing if that will open the files.
    Thanks will give it a go, much appreciated

  5. #5
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    You can also download Office apps on an android phone and they are definitely free.
    In Windows 10 you can also download office apps from Windows app store. Free.


    Just search on any browser for the file extension. Like. File name.docx or whatever it is by typing what opens a .docx file and you'll find out what program's open certain file types.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sickie; 27th September 2020 at 17:04.

  6. #6
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Why not use Google docs if you have Internet?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíll have a look, never heard of google docs so thanks for the help

  7. #7
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You can also download Office apps on an android phone and they are definitely free.
    In Windows 10 you can also download office apps from Windows app store. Free.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cheers, shouldíve probably mentioned Iím on Windows 7 ( never bothered upgrading even when it was free ) and an iPhone but thanks anyway

  8. #8
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Whatever it is sometimes if you right click on it and choose open with notepad it may not look right but you might be able to read what's in it if you're curious

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,225
    I'm assuming you're referring to Office 2010. If you want a legitimate version of Office you can get Office 2019 HERE for $50.

  10. #10
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    12,972
    Microsoft Office Online version (free) https://www.office.com/

    You just need to register, if you don't already have a Microsoft account. If you have a Hotmail account you can log in with that.

  11. #11
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Microsoft Office Online version (free) https://www.office.com/

    You just need to register, if you don't already have a Microsoft account. If you have a Hotmail account you can log in with that.
    Thanks for all the help, much appreciated but it looks like Hogthrob's suggestion is going to work for me.
    I'll have a proper look when I have more time but, fingers crossed, I may be able to get my tiny brain round it

    Cheers

  12. #12
    Journeyman DigitalSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    267

    Microsoft Office 10 - help

    Iíd suggest Google Docs too (+1) - free and very easy to use.

    Have moved all my work into the cloud (probably where youíre laptop is now Iím assuming?) and makes life a lot easier.

    Start by setting up a gmail account and away you go!

    Happy to help if needed!

    Cheers
    Seb



    S

  13. #13
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Iíd suggest Google Docs too (+1) - free and very easy to use.

    Have moved all my work into the cloud (probably where youíre laptop is now Iím assuming?) and makes life a lot easier.

    Start by setting up a gmail account and away you go!

    Happy to help if needed!

    Cheers
    Seb



    S
    Thanks for that, Iím finishing early today to try and get my head round it so will definitely give Google a go
    Thanks again

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Whatever it is sometimes if you right click on it and choose open with notepad it may not look right but you might be able to read what's in it if you're curious

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Very unlikely to work unless saved as a text file. Better bet for Word documents is to use WordPad which should be installed on Windows.

  15. #15
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    I've not tried it for a very long time so you may be right but I know I've opened some odd files with notepad just messing around year's ago.

    . docx is a word file but if you don't have word installed you can definitely get it for free from Windows.

    Either way I'm sure he's sorted by now as stated earlier Google docs or Google sheets and slides should be enough for what he needs.
    Unless it's a pdf file it's Adobe but even Adobe reader is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Very unlikely to work unless saved as a text file. Better bet for Word documents is to use WordPad which should be installed on Windows.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information