closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Microsoft Office 10 - help

Blog Entries

Microsoft Office 10 - help

Total thicko question but here goes.
    I have a laptop that I have only ever used for internet browsing, email and streaming but I have a new customer who has just sent over some documents which my laptop won't open but it is telling me Office is the recomended program
    It came with Office 10 installed but I never entered the activation key as it was something I didn;t think I'd ever use. I've looked online and there are plenty of sites that claim Office 10 is now a free download but following their links they all seem to be some sort of scam and there is nothing on the official Microsoft website apart from the fact that are stopping support for Office 10.
    So without going back to the customer and telling them I'm too stupid to open a simple Word / Excel document is there a legitimate way of getting Office 10 cheap or opening said documents?
    Go easy as I'm about to launch this laptop into orbit

Craftsman
    You could try installing Libre office (free) and seeing if that will open the files.

Craftsman
    Why not use Google docs if you have Internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    You could try installing Libre office (free) and seeing if that will open the files.
    Thanks will give it a go, much appreciated

You can also download Office apps on an android phone and they are definitely free.
    In Windows 10 you can also download office apps from Windows app store. Free.

Just search on any browser for the file extension. Like. File name.docx or whatever it is by typing what opens a .docx file and you'll find out what program's open certain file types.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sickie; 27th September 2020 at 17:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Why not use Google docs if you have Internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll have a look, never heard of google docs so thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You can also download Office apps on an android phone and they are definitely free.
    In Windows 10 you can also download office apps from Windows app store. Free.

Cheers, should’ve probably mentioned I’m on Windows 7 ( never bothered upgrading even when it was free ) and an iPhone but thanks anyway

Whatever it is sometimes if you right click on it and choose open with notepad it may not look right but you might be able to read what's in it if you're curious

I'm assuming you're referring to Office 2010. If you want a legitimate version of Office you can get Office 2019 HERE for $50.

Microsoft Office Online version (free) https://www.office.com/

You just need to register, if you don't already have a Microsoft account. If you have a Hotmail account you can log in with that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Microsoft Office Online version (free) https://www.office.com/

You just need to register, if you don't already have a Microsoft account. If you have a Hotmail account you can log in with that.
    Thanks for all the help, much appreciated but it looks like Hogthrob's suggestion is going to work for me.
    I'll have a proper look when I have more time but, fingers crossed, I may be able to get my tiny brain round it

Cheers

Microsoft Office 10 - help

I’d suggest Google Docs too (+1) - free and very easy to use.

Have moved all my work into the cloud (probably where you’re laptop is now I’m assuming?) and makes life a lot easier.

Start by setting up a gmail account and away you go!

Happy to help if needed!

Cheers
    Seb

S

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    I’d suggest Google Docs too (+1) - free and very easy to use.

Have moved all my work into the cloud (probably where you’re laptop is now I’m assuming?) and makes life a lot easier.

Start by setting up a gmail account and away you go!

Happy to help if needed!

Cheers
    Seb

S
    Thanks for that, I’m finishing early today to try and get my head round it so will definitely give Google a go
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Whatever it is sometimes if you right click on it and choose open with notepad it may not look right but you might be able to read what's in it if you're curious

Very unlikely to work unless saved as a text file. Better bet for Word documents is to use WordPad which should be installed on Windows.

I've not tried it for a very long time so you may be right but I know I've opened some odd files with notepad just messing around year's ago.

. docx is a word file but if you don't have word installed you can definitely get it for free from Windows.

Either way I'm sure he's sorted by now as stated earlier Google docs or Google sheets and slides should be enough for what he needs.
    Unless it's a pdf file it's Adobe but even Adobe reader is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Very unlikely to work unless saved as a text file. Better bet for Word documents is to use WordPad which should be installed on Windows.