closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pour Over Coffee

Pour Over Coffee

Ok you hive mind geniuses, I’m looking to get into Pour over coffee makers and I know there will be many experts here who can help me understand all the hipster/coffee ‘’fascist’’ nonsense.

I generally use Nespresso for ease and convenience so a complete novice here but I am looking for something better for the weekend. Around a 2-4 cup, paperless filter if possible and, of course, something that looks the business.

So your advice would be very helpful.

Cheers
    Last edited by paw3001; 27th September 2020 at 16:22.

Get a V60 and some of the Hario papers. What grinder do you have?

The Chemex arguably has the best looks, but I haven't used one.

V60 with paper filter. The latter because you can pick it up and throw away (in the compost recycling bin) all the ground without endless rinsing etc. The V60 comes in a range of sizes...available on Amazon...and James Hoffman has plenty of advice for you on YouTube.

If you want to go manual pour overs, a V60 for 1 or 2 cups is best. A Chemex for larger volumes of coffee. Use the Chemex papers with the brewer, they are thick and produce a lovely clean cup of coffee.

A good burr grinder is key, so you have freshly ground coffee at home. Wilfa Svart, Baratza Encore and Eureka Mignons are some good not expensive models.

James Hoffman is a knowledgeable coffee chap and I've had excellent results following his V60 recipe.

If you're thinking of a powered pour over, the Sage Precision Brewer is highly recommended.
    As is the Technivorm Moccamaster Select.

The key to these two machines is that they heat the water to the correct temperature and have shower heads which mimic the best manual pour over techniques.

EDIT: I forgot to add for manual pour overs, a goose necked kettle (powered or not ) will give you the accuracy needed and won't drown the coffee in the basket.
    Last edited by dkpw; 27th September 2020 at 15:38.

Maybe start with a V60 Drip-In Server 02...also available from Amazon and other suppliers?

Edit Stainless steel drip / gooseneck kettles are available on eBay in various sizes from £11 upwards.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th September 2020 at 15:45.

This thread has made me thirsty! :) Just made some.

The Hario scales are useful, they have a timer too but the display is a little slow compared to more modern scales.
    The goose neck kettle also makes an excellent plant waterer.

Craftsman
    I use a Hario glass jug/ceramic V60 with their bleached filter papers. It easy with consistent results. Also very tolerant of my variable coffee bean grinding skills, always good whatever I do to the beans...

I’ve tried a couple of the metal V60 filters and have personally found them to be rubbish. After w couple of uses the holes in them get blocked and stop filtering coffee through. No amount of cleaning and scrubbing seemed to improve matters. I stick to paper filters now.

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filter-Coff...kitchen&sr=1-3

If the link doesnt work search amazon for "Drip Coffee Maker Set Size 4" no quotes.

There is little or no fuss - job done - been using these for many years.

B

When you say pour over you mean filter, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    When you say pour over you mean filter, right?
    Pour over is a type of filter coffee, but not all filter coffee is pour over.

I drink almost no coffee other than filter. I am almost certainly doing it wrong, but I use a plastic Size 6 filter cone, Melitta papers and brew into a nice enamelled "Pottle" from Labour & Wait. I use about 2.5 scoops of freshly ground coffee and a pinch of salt, and that makes about 4 mugs' worth of decent coffee. I have never weighed the coffee or water; actually, I'm definitely doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Most methods are filter TBH, even expresso.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 28th September 2020 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Most methods are filter TBH, even expresso.
    Or espresso

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I drink almost no coffee other than filter. I am almost certainly doing it wrong, but I use a plastic Size 6 filter cone, Melitta papers and brew into a nice enamelled "Pottle" from Labour & Wait. I use about 2.5 scoops of freshly ground coffee and a pinch of salt, and that makes about 4 mugs' worth of decent coffee. I have never weighed the coffee or water; actually, I'm definitely doing it wrong.
    If you like the output, then there's nothing wrong about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Or espresso
    Indeed, the same drink.

Master
    I use an Aeropress (still left at work!) or at home a Chemex. Both make really good coffee but a Chemex is more of an object d'art.

Master
    I usually drink espresso in the morning and filter in the afternoon. I've owned a Chemx in the past and it makes nice coffee and looks great. I currently have a chemex-like pot from Bodum with a mesh basket than takes standard Melitta papers. Works well, and I'm happy with the coffee.

This one: https://www.bodum.com/gb/en/11571-10...oaAgWxEALw_wcB

I’ve gone through most pour over kit, and the V60 has always been the least consistent for me, too reactive to slight changes in grind, pour speed, temperature, everything really. I tried a kinto stainless filter cone, worked well, but as the stainless filter wasn’t quite as fine as a paper one, the coffee had a bit of a grainy mouthfeel. The stand out winner for me is the Kalita Wave, very similar approach to the V60, but much more consistent. Dirt cheap from Amazon, whatever coffee I use I use more or less the same grind size, every cup is good. I might miss the occasional stellar cups from the v60, but there are no duds.

Thanks everyone some very insightful stuff and I can’t believe how much time I have wasted watching You tube videos.

Think I am a fan of James Hoffman but blimey he takes it seriously doesn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Think I am a fan of James Hoffman but blimey he takes it seriously doesn’t he?
    He does indeed, but it is sort of his job given his Square Mile roastery! What most impresses me about him is that he's not at all afraid to admit when he's wrong, such as in the below:

https://youtu.be/-5PtDOhtgGk

That's how you do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Indeed, the same drink.
    Of course, it's just that one has a spelling derived from the original Italian and is in far more common usage, while the other is a quirky reference to the speed of delivery rather than the method. But whatever … it's still the same drink.

My espresso making is far from express - it's a (not including machine warm-up time) good 5 minute job! Part of the pleasure though.

Of course, it's just that one has a spelling derived from the original Italian and is in far more common usage, while the other is a quirky reference to the speed of delivery rather than the method. But whatever … it's still the same drink.
    Have you tried googling 'expresso'? Here is one link that it throws up...Expresso.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I use an Aeropress (still left at work!) or at home a Chemex. Both make really good coffee but a Chemex is more of an object d'art.
    Or an object d’scaling if you have hard water ...

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    If you want to go manual pour overs, a V60 for 1 or 2 cups is best. A Chemex for larger volumes of coffee. Use the Chemex papers with the brewer, they are thick and produce a lovely clean cup of coffee.

A good burr grinder is key, so you have freshly ground coffee at home. Wilfa Svart, Baratza Encore and Eureka Mignons are some good not expensive models.

James Hoffman is a knowledgeable coffee chap and I've had excellent results following his V60 recipe.

If you're thinking of a powered pour over, the Sage Precision Brewer is highly recommended.

The key to these two machines is that they heat the water to the correct temperature and have shower heads which mimic the best manual pour over techniques.

EDIT: I forgot to add for manual pour overs, a goose necked kettle (powered or not ) will give you the accuracy needed and won't drown the coffee in the basket.
    This video has sent me down a deep and expensive rabbit hole today!!

I already had some high quality small batch roasts in the kitchen, so I dug out my Porlex grinder and an old V60 that was in the back of a cupboard. Made 3 coffees through the day and 2 of them were the best brews I've ever made.

I've also watched about 10 of James' videos, and ordered a Wilfa Svart grinder. I put my Pact coffee subscription (which admittedly is very good) on hold and signed up for James' company "Square Mile Coffee Roasters" curated subscription to try out, I figure he knows his stuff if he was World Barista Champion.

I also bought a very nice mug and some high end small batch roast from "Workshop Coffee", 200 new V60 filters, a Hario V60 filter holder, and a coffee drip scale/timer.

Looking forward to some epic brews in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post

200 new V60 filters
    Did you check out his really very interesting video on the multiple Hario versions of those papers too? Worth a look if not, and also worth checking out the comments for any updates.

https://youtu.be/0uggibTY0AE

Did you check out his really very interesting video on the multiple Hario versions of those papers too? Worth a look if not, and also worth checking out the comments for any updates.

https://youtu.be/0uggibTY0AE
    Lol no, I'll check that out next though!

What have I unleashed?

What have I unleashed?

Update to my post at 19:41.

Now also ordered a Hario pouring kettle, a Brita water filter, and "The World Atlas of Coffee" book.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Have you tried googling 'expresso'? Here is one link that it throws up...Expresso.
    Your link proves my point:

Expresso may refer to:

Espresso, a coffee beverage

Now also ordered a Hario pouring kettle, a Brita water filter, and "The World Atlas of Coffee" book.
    I have also brought a V60 with stand, Hario 02 server, Skerton Plus Grinder, weight and timer scale, a Coffee Gator pouring kettle!

I don’t think I have stopped yet either!

Expresso may refer to:

Guys, does it really matter? Let it go!

I have also brought a V60 with stand, Hario 02 server, Skerton Plus Grinder, weight and timer scale, a Coffee Gator pouring kettle!

I don’t think I have stopped yet either!

I've been unsuccessfully trying to buy an aergrind for months, but always sold out. We're not looking for such fine grinding for pour over coffee, so the skerton plus looks pretty good for the price.

Expresso may refer to:

Glad you found it helpful.

Guys, does it really matter? Let it go!

I will if you will.

Checked out his other video on the water types? (I still went with a Brita..!)

https://youtu.be/jfElZfrmlRs

Craftsman
    What have I unleashed?

The Kraken.

Regards

V

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Glad you found it helpful.

I will if you will.
    Really! Are you actually old enough to be on here unsupervised?

Really! Are you actually old enough to be on here unsupervised?
    Based on your posts #19, #31 and mine #3, #5, I think that I am.

I have to say that I found your post #37 (quoted above) uncalled for especially as this is in the G&D. Might a little self-reflection be in order?

Some peope on here clearly drink waaaay too much coffee

Some peope on here clearly drink waaaay too much coffee
    Well it was thread about coffee and it is clear some take it to a level beyond rational!

I'm going to read this thread again and watch the videos but one very simple question please; I assume I can buy bags of ground coffee rather than going to the expense of buying a grinder?

Weelllll, you can, but they'll need to be beans from Finca Arabica in Columbia, roasted in the last 9 days by John in Sussex (except Weds, that's not a good day so check), brewed at no more than 97.3 degrees. Crucial that or you'll miss the elderberry and plimsoll notes.

Thanks for advice, really helpful. I'd heard they'd have to be strained through the gusset of a Columbian whore's knickers for that authentic taste.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Weelllll, you can, but they'll need to be beans from Finca Arabica in Columbia, roasted in the last 9 days by John in Sussex (except Weds, that's not a good day so check), brewed at no more than 97.3 degrees. Crucial that or you'll miss the elderberry and plimsoll notes.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm going to read this thread again and watch the videos but one very simple question please; I assume I can buy bags of ground coffee rather than going to the expense of buying a grinder?
    Unless you want to spend a lot of money, yes you can. Even James agrees...link.

Same - can't wait!

I also bought a very nice mug and some high end small batch roast from "Workshop Coffee", 200 new V60 filters, a Hario V60 filter holder, and a coffee drip scale/timer.

Looking forward to some epic brews in the future!

I've learned that via this most-excellent thread!

All I've bought today from James Hoffmann's YouTube videos is an Airscape storage canister (so far).

Amazingly I've made so much coffee the last 2 days that I've run out, I have just enough beans for a brew in the morning. So hopefully one of the several orders I've placed (that are in transit) will arrive in the morning!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Great video. Going to try this tomorrow morning once I’m out if this YouTube rabbit hole

So here is my new V60 set up. Kettle and grinder are out of shot.

Now it is time to play with the grind, amount of coffee and water!

Lol this thread should just be called 'coffee' to save the redundancy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk