closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pour Over Coffee

I've been drinking pour over filter for 3 years or so. I'd tried everything. Espresso machine, stove top, cafatiere, aeropress, coffee bags, pre prepared pour over kits

Now, I grind 10g of beans in my rancilio grinder, pour using my £5 swan neck jug from China, on to my Monmouth cone. I usually buy beans from harrods but can't be bothered with the trip every six weeks or so now.

So I wanted to ask how people have found square mile coffee deliveries.... Any good?

10g? That’s a very low dose, or is it low volume to match?
    I usually do 15-18g depending on the bean

This morning’s brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    So here is my new V60 set up. Kettle and grinder are out of shot.

Now it is time to play with the grind, amount of coffee and water!
    Very swish setup in a lovely room! As with all things coffee, experiment and enjoy the results.

Changes to time, temperature, agitation, water and even which filter papers you use can change the taste. Why? Well it's an organic produce and you need to find a recipe you enjoy. I more or less stick with Hoffman's recipe as in the video, but I do change the grind depending on the nature of the beans I'm using.

I'm lucky to be in Edinburgh with soft Scottish water, so no need for descaling or filters. I also have Artisan Roast who are exceptional local roasters, who stock a lovely range of carefully roasted beans.

Anyway enough chuntering, I hope everyone enjoys their coffee!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    10g? That’s a very low dose, or is it low volume to match?
    I usually do 15-18g depending on the bean
    10g is the sweet spot for me. I use 200g water. Not huge, not small.

Cost is also a factor. I pay £40-£45/kg for beans. So each cup costs me 40-45p.

That's a cost I'm comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable with 1.5-2x that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I've been drinking pour over filter for 3 years or so. I'd tried everything. Espresso machine, stove top, cafatiere, aeropress, coffee bags, pre prepared pour over kits

Now, I grind 10g of beans in my rancilio grinder, pour using my £5 swan neck jug from China, on to my Monmouth cone. I usually buy beans from harrods but can't be bothered with the trip every six weeks or so now.

So I wanted to ask how people have found square mile coffee deliveries.... Any good?
    I signed up with Square Mile last week and got my first delivery (Chelbesa) on Friday, its easily as good or better than anything I've had before (Pact/Hasbean) so I'll be sticking with them for now.

Craftsman
    This morning’s brew!

That looks a really good clean brew.
    Mmmmm
    Regards
    V

10g is the sweet spot for me. I use 200g water. Not huge, not small.

Cost is also a factor. I pay £40-£45/kg for beans. So each cup costs me 40-45p.

That's a cost I'm comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable with 1.5-2x that.
    If you are looking for high quality but good value then Horsham coffee are good, I posted in the coffee thread with a discount code which makes it even cheaper. They do some interesting natural process and carbonic maceration coffee’s that have been excellent as filter.

Cool, I shall check them out

My preference is for a medium to strong roast. Nothing too acidic or fruity. I like creamy, nutty notes.

Another pour over fan here.
    I use an MBK aergrind, V60, a swan neck pouring kettle and scales.
    Fresh beans from a local roaster (Horsham Coffee) and digital scales.

I tend to use a 16:1 ratio and have found quite small grind adjustments can have significant results.

If any one wants to try Horsham Coffee send me a PM and I can send you a £5.00 off referral link

https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co....s/coffee-beans

I'm so weak …

Drinking my first brew now. It's nice and smooth so I think I chose the right blend. It didn't work like his did though so I need to watch the video again.

Right, so I mixed up my grams and millilitres :(

Second brew used correct volumes and digital scales and was much better.

I might buy a Chemex now, for the mornings and any time I'm brewing up for more than 1 person...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Right, so I mixed up my grams and millilitres :(

1g = 1ml water
    They are the same.
    How can you mix them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    1g = 1ml water
    They are the same.
    How can you mix them up?
    Presumably the ratios and thus amounts for coffee vs. water

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Presumably the ratios and thus amounts for coffee vs. water
    Unlikely ratios could be sensibly reversed.

I never understood a "server"

The transfer of coffee from the cone to the server cools it down a notch. And then into a cup to drink and it'll cool a notch more. Even if you pre warm all these bits, you'll still lose heat

Personally, I boil water, pour into a cheap stainless steel swan neck jug from China, warm the cone with filter in it. Water falls into my cup from the cone. Now the swan neck is warm, cone is warm and cup is warm

Discard the cup water and brew the coffee straight into the cup

It comes out at a temperature that is immediately sip-able

Journeyman
    Any recommendations for a good scale. Something with a timer for making the perfect v60...

Pour Over Coffee

I never understood a "server"

The transfer of coffee from the cone to the server cools it down a notch. And then into a cup to drink and it'll cool a notch more. Even if you pre warm all these bits, you'll still lose heat

Personally, I boil water, pour into a cheap stainless steel swan neck jug from China, warm the cone with filter in it. Water falls into my cup from the cone. Now the swan neck is warm, cone is warm and cup is warm

Discard the cup water and brew the coffee straight into the cup

It comes out at a temperature that is immediately sip-able
    Sorry but the same happens with regards to heat loss when you transfer the water from a kettle to your swan neck jug! You will lose a couple of degrees.

With a sever it gets heated the same as your cup does in your description above by wetting the filter with hot water. Plus the server allows you to brew a bigger quantity than one cup and so you can share with other coffee lovers in the house!

Last edited by paw3001; 23rd October 2020 at 12:09.

I find the whole thing a right palava. The coffee is nice but by the time it’s ready it’s luke warm. I’ve a V60 that’s been used three times, 97 filter papers and two bags of artisan decaf coffee, one ground that I’ve made three brews with and the other are whole beans and unopened.

If anyone wants it I’ll do the lot for £20 delivered.

Wow that is a quick decision.
    It would take me at least three brews to dial In the grind on a new bag. I certainly wouldn’t grind a bag at a time ( my arm would fall off!)
    I am not sure why the temperature is so low though.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I find the whole thing a right palava. The coffee is nice but by the time it’s ready it’s luke warm. I’ve a V60 that’s been used three times, 97 filter papers and two bags of artisan decaf coffee, one ground that I’ve made three brews with and the other are whole beans and unopened.

If anyone wants it I’ll do the lot for £20 delivered.
    How long is it taking you? Worth timing.

I use a server to help cool the coffee before pouring into a cup, good quality speciality coffee tastes great as it cools and often just as flavoursome when tepid.
    Unlike bulk roasted commodity coffee which is rank.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I use a server to help cool the coffee before pouring into a cup, good quality speciality coffee tastes great as it cools and often just as flavoursome when tepid.
    Unlike bulk roasted commodity coffee which is rank.
    If you adjust the grind, pour over coffee makes great iced coffee. I drank quite a lot of it in the summer

Sorry but the same happens with regards to heat loss when you transfer the water from a kettle to your swan neck jug! You will lose a couple of degrees.

With a sever it gets heated the same as your cup does in your description above by wetting the filter with hot water. Plus the server allows you to brew a bigger quaintly than one cup and so you can share with other coffee lovers in the house!

You're right. And tbh when I brew more than one cup, I use a pyrex jug to brew into and pour into cups from there. So effectively a server.

How robust is the glass on servers? When I used to drink cafatiere coffee, I must have broken more than ten cafatieres.

I'm quite happy with the way I brew but admittedly it does look a bit cheap, especially when guests are around.

It is borosilicate glass so heat resistant but it does feel a bit thin and so I doubt it is smash proof

Just a small update to say I am loving my pour over coffee with V60. It produces a very clean and bright cup of coffee and I now tend to drink it black whereas I use to always add milk. The coffee is light but rich with much less bitterness but not sure if that is the coffee or the method?

I have enjoyed experimenting with different weights and ratios of coffee to water. I tend to use 25-30g of coffee to 400-450g of water for 2-3 cups.

This coffee game can take you down some interesting paths on YouTube and James Hoffman is an excellent guide.

So what about Syphon coffee brewers? I like the idea of it being between a chewy French press and a V60 filter coffee!

I'm an anti coffee snob.

After years of different things, bean-to-cup machines, pods, Aluminium Moka pots, and whatever, I have settled on this item.

* It runs on the clock at 0650, with 2 nice cups of coffee ready for me when I pad downstairs at 0700 am.
    * It keeps the final coffee warm in the jug on the heated pad ready for post-shower breakfast at 0730
    * It is faultless for performance and needs a light washout once a month with soapy water
    * I can buy beans and grind them, or use ground coffee in 227g or (better) 454g bags from everywhere and try lots of things
    * It was £50 and is now 4 yrs old. 4x365 = 1400 uses or (5000p/1400) 3.5 p a go to run and going strong

I know it has no pressure or crema, but you know what, I don't care. That just makes the £3.95 Barrista item in a shop even more special.
    It is automated, reliable, and economical. No pods, no waiting for brewing, no overdraft to buy the thing.

If I win the Euromillions I will have my Butler start work on coffee at 0650 with a Nuova Simonelli, which I can brag about to my mates. But until then pour over coffee as above suits me just fine.

Just a small update to say I am loving my pour over coffee with V60. It produces a very clean and bright cup of coffee and I now tend to drink it black whereas I use to always add milk. The coffee is light but rich with much less bitterness but not sure if that is the coffee or the method?

I have enjoyed experimenting with different weights and ratios of coffee to water. I tend to use 25-30g of coffee to 400-450g of water for 2-3 cups.

This coffee game can take you down some interesting paths on YouTube and James Hoffman is an excellent guide.

So what about Syphon coffee brewers? I like the idea of it being between a chewy French press and a V60 filter coffee!
    Not tried a syphon, but the kit looks very sexy!!!!

Well I FINALLY managed to grab a Aergrind (thanks again member dixie for the heads up) - and have a V60 drip decanter and scales on its way as well. Just saw the square mile getting decent reviews and they're relatively local to me, so will try their coffee. Not cheap mind! Need to get a Britta next to soften up the water. And so the rabbit hole begins!

Anyone have a specific coffee recommendation from square mile?

Journeyman
    Was given a Chemex and have to say that its exponentially better than a V60. Possibly down to the filters but taste so much smoother overall

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    Was given a Chemex and have to say that its exponentially better than a V60. Possibly down to the filters but taste so much smoother overall
    Chemex filters are much thicker than most of the Hario V60 filter papers. I like a bit of 'something' to the coffee personally, but having never tried a Chemex and the 'cleaness' it's supposed to produce, I may change my mind!

Journeyman
    Its really great with the fruitier medium roasts that i tend to drink - you do get a much cripser flavour

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Chemex filters are much thicker than most of the Hario V60 filter papers. I like a bit of 'something' to the coffee personally, but having never tried a Chemex and the 'cleaness' it's supposed to produce, I may change my mind!

So I've had my V60 for a good few weeks now and thought worth checking in with my progress and what I've learnt so far!

- Scales are absolutely essential! I definitely notice the consistency it brings.

- I'm using the Aergrind for my grinding and I'm slowly dialling the beans finer - I'm currently at 1:7. Not really bitter yet and brew time is ok (more on that below), going to keep at this size for a few days brewing.

- Brewing - using James Hoffman's method - usually 15g/250ml. I'm using the Hario Decanter - 250ml is a bit small for a batch, but is what it is. I keep to the times James states so the pouring is actually slower. This is consistent with James' advice because you want less disruption with a smaller batch. Oh and washing the paper (while heating up the decanter) is absolutely essential.

- So my brew time is pretty good, usually done by 3 mins, another reason why I push to go a bit finer - the final grounds bed could be better, still some sticking up the sides, but in general not too bad as I also think it's harder to achieve a really good bed with a smaller batch.

- Oh speaking of James, Square Mile coffee is pretty darn tasty. I was hoping to keep my coffee intake to one cup a day, but reality is I'm at 2....need to contain myself as their coffee ain't exactly cheap!!!

Where I want to improve? Water currently is straight out of the tap, I really do need at least a Brita filter to soften up the water. Secondly a better kettle with a nice long spout. I am starting to believe that is essential to get the consistent flow rate to give a good bed.

Overall, pretty happy! I think the time to do my morning coffee ritual is acceptable as well, especially as the brew time is not too long, so coffee is still piping hot. Visually also very appetising, you get a great colour, especially when drank out of one of those bodum-esque clear mugs!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    So I've had my V60 for a good few weeks now and thought worth checking in with my progress and what I've learnt so far!

...etc
    Thanks! I’ve had my V60 for about three weeks and am delighted with it. Thanks for the cross-check on what I’m doing. I’ve settled on 1:18 ratio grams coffee:ml water which is very similar to yours (my ratio has slightly less water I think).

The reason for this post is to ask what, ideally, the coffee bed should look like once the water has run through. My coffee bed ends up in a V-shape, same profile as the V60 itself. Is this right? It’s giving excellent results tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Thanks! I’ve had my V60 for about three weeks and am delighted with it. Thanks for the cross-check on what I’m doing. I’ve settled on 1:18 ratio grams coffee:ml water which is very similar to yours (my ratio has slightly less water I think).

The reason for this post is to ask what, ideally, the coffee bed should look like once the water has run through. My coffee bed ends up in a V-shape, same profile as the V60 itself. Is this right? It’s giving excellent results tbh.
    That ratio is a bit weaker than mine - I think mine works out to be 1:16.7. But I do like slightly stronger coffee.

The bed should be completely flat/horizontal, the sides should be totally clear - so no 'V'. Of course you will get some grounds on the sides, but in the main it should be no grounds. I think it's pretty much impossible to do without a nice long neck kettle - the ability to have a smoother flow, better distribution and so less pulsing is key. I manage to mitigate the 'V' with a bit of a stir and swirl at the end (like James Hoffman suggests), but I tend to get a bit up the slopes on one side.
    Last edited by crazyp; 11th November 2020 at 09:31. Reason: Get my ratio right!

I've also been using the V60 for about three weeks. Here's my method:

1. Rinse the filter with boiling water first.
    2. Pop three full scoops of coffee in the bottom.
    3. Pour over a little hot water from a bog-standard ordinary kettle, working from the centre out, and let it sit for 30 seconds until it stops bubbling.
    4. Gently pour over more hot water in circles, rattle the drip a bit to shake the grounds and release the aromas and flavour, and wait until it's dripped through.
    5. Add more hot water in circles, rinsing grounds from the side of the filter, giving it another shake, until the pourer is full to the top line.
    6. Remove the drip, place the lid, pour a cup, and stick a thermal wooly hat over the pourer to keep it warm.

It all takes about 3 minutes and the coffee has been delicious every time

My wife is enjoying it as well and now pulls a face if I reach for the cafetiere.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 10th November 2020 at 22:15.

So been enjoying my pour over coffee immensely. I have played with weight and water ratios and now sit around 20g of coffee to 300-320 mls of water. The V60 with filter paper gives such a clean cup of coffee I now drink it black. Whereas, I pretty much always added milk to my Nespresso coffee.

In fact, I don’t enjoy my Nespresso as much nowadays and only use it when I don’t have time for the full on pour over routine. However, I have now just ‘upgraded’ my pour over routine with a Fellows Ode grinder. Of course, it looks great and is a real solid piece of kit and so far the grinding has been good, consistent and takes seconds for 20g of coffee.

I enjoyed hand grinding my coffee but it was a bit of pain if you wanted a quick cup of coffee. Now I have the Ode this may even kill off my Nespresso even it is still isn’t as quick.

Pour Over Coffee

Double post
    Last edited by paw3001; 28th December 2020 at 18:41. Reason: Double post

So been enjoying my pour over coffee immensely. I have played with weight and water ratios and now sit around 20g of coffee to 300-320 mls of water. The V60 with filter paper gives such a clean cup of coffee I now drink it black. Whereas, I pretty much always added milk to my Nespresso coffee.

In fact, I don’t enjoy my Nespresso as much nowadays and only use it when I don’t have time for the full on pour over routine. However, I have now just ‘upgraded’ my pour over routine with a Fellows Ode grinder. Of course, it looks great and is a real solid piece of kit and so far the grinding has been good, consistent and takes seconds for 20g of coffee.

I enjoyed hand grinding my coffee but it was a bit of pain if you wanted a quick cup of coffee. Now I have the Ode this may even kill off my Nespresso even it is still isn’t as quick.
    I totally agree on how clean a cup of coffee you get - totally converted! I'm at 15g for around 260ml of water. I've tried less at 12/13g but prefer the slightly stronger taste.

The Ode looks great! Not sure I can justify the extra expense at the moment, but if I want to upgrade the Aergrind I know where to look!

On to beans - I have 2 cups of coffee a day, which translates to around 800g ish beans per month which is £25-30 quid! Talk about a freakin' money pit!!! Tried a few from square mile and very good. Now onto Rave - both blend and single origin. Got another batch from them due this week. now I'm happy with my brewing method/timings, I can play with the grind size and find a taste profile which I like. Dark roast I've found just is too heavy a taste for a filter brew.

Is Syphon brewing still on your radar?

Pour Over Coffee

I totally agree on how clean a cup of coffee you get - totally converted! I'm at 15g for around 260ml of water. I've tried less at 12/13g but prefer the slightly stronger taste.

The Ode looks great! Not sure I can justify the extra expense at the moment, but if I want to upgrade the Aergrind I know where to look!

On to beans - I have 2 cups of coffee a day, which translates to around 800g ish beans per month which is £25-30 quid! Talk about a freakin' money pit!!! Tried a few from square mile and very good. Now onto Rave - both blend and single origin. Got another batch from them due this week. now I'm happy with my brewing method/timings, I can play with the grind size and find a taste profile which I like. Dark roast I've found just is too heavy a taste for a filter brew.

Is Syphon brewing still on your radar?
    Interesting as I like a stronger cup hence the 20g to 300ml gives me a ratio of 1:15. Yours is a higher ratio seems.

Totally converted and coffee is so much more enjoyable now rather than just a caffeine fix. Getting so many flavours beyond that ‘classic’ coffee taste. I have two roasts on the go at the moment, a dark and a light roast. Very different and I tend to use 25g of the light roast in around 320ml for a ratio of around 1:13. Thinking I prefer dark roasts to be honest but need to try more.

You are so right about the money pit. The equipment is crazy and I had a long hard think whether the grinder was worth the high cost. It’s costs more than the Nespresso and my V60 set up alone! However, it still cost less than my last Seiko!

I now have a V60 set up, French Press, Nespresso and I have tried a Cold brew which was OK but a lot of effort for small gains. Maybe I’ll try again in the Summer.

Therefore I think I need to leave thoughts on Siphon coffee alone for a while. Would still like to try it but hard to justify at this time now. Plus where to put it?

Interesting as I like a stronger cup hence the 20g to 300ml gives me a ratio of 1:15. Yours is a higher ratio seems.

Totally converted and coffee is so much more enjoyable now rather than just a caffeine fix. Getting so many flavours beyond that ‘classic’ coffee taste. I have two roasts on the go at the moment, a dark and a light roast. Very different and I tend to use 25g of the light roast in around 320ml for a ratio of around 1:13. Thinking I prefer dark roasts to be honest but need to try more.

You are so right about the money pit. The equipment is crazy and I had a long hard think whether the grinder was worth the high cost. It’s costs more than the Nespresso and my V60 set up alone! However, it still cost less than my last Seiko!

I now have a V60 set up, French Press, Nespresso and I have tried a Cold brew which was OK but a lot of effort for small gains. Maybe I’ll try again in the Summer.

Therefore I think I need to leave thoughts on Siphon coffee alone for a while. Would still like to try it but hard to justify at this time now. Plus where to put it?
    Just doing the math, my ratio is 1:16.7 - yours is more concentrated so a tad stronger. To achieve your concentration, I would need to be using 16.7g for 250ml. I will actually play with lower concentration more with darker roasts - at the moment I've mostly gone with a grind not as fine as medium which also works.

On the cost - if you look at the price of going to your cafe and getting a coffee, still works out pretty ok - the only reason is if I crave an espresso (not often tbh).

I've given up on French Press now - after how clean the brew is on the V60 why bother? (also if you follow James Hoffman's method for French Press, that takes far too long). Nice to reach a stage of contentment and enjoyment!

Craftsman
    Argh, I don’t even really drink coffee but I’ve read this entire thread and watched a few of James’ videos (absolutely love the precision!). This set up also looks awesome.

I may have a Clever Coffee Dripper en route to me. Not from here, this was just the first link in Google. This uses paper filters.

I also have an IngenuiTEA which I use for loose peppermint tea. This has a stainless steel filter in it so no faffing with papers.

These are both immersion brewers, which dump their contents into your mug/cup through a valve in the bottom. The brew time is much easier to control, but not as easy to clean the stainless filter one compared to paper filter.
    Last edited by Templogin; 29th December 2020 at 21:37.

Master
    Had a Hario Switch and Hario drip scales arrive this week. I’m impressed with both and the Switch’s immersion method is different enough to my Chemex to feel I’m not doing in effect the same thing. It’s sped up making a coffee and is probably more repeatable as a process.

- Scales are absolutely essential! I definitely notice the consistency it brings.

- I'm using the Aergrind for my grinding and I'm slowly dialling the beans finer - I'm currently at 1:7. Not really bitter yet and brew time is ok (more on that below), going to keep at this size for a few days brewing.
    Did you get that grind setting for the Aergrind off some American website?

i didn't get any instructions with my aergrind so I googled and found that setting.
    I found it far too fine and apart from being really hard work made very bitter coffee.

I mentioned it to a friend and he dug out the instructions he got with his.

I now start at 4:0 and adjust the grind when I get a new bag if coffee but I don't move from that setting that much

Pour Over Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Did you get that grind setting for the Aergrind off some American website?

i didn't get any instructions with my aergrind so I googled and found that setting.
    I found it far too fine and apart from being really hard work made very bitter coffee.

I mentioned it to a friend and he dug out the instructions he got with his.

I now start at 4:0 and adjust the grind when I get a new bag if coffee but I don't move from that setting that much
    I did get from online but I’ve tried up to 3:0 and honestly you need a medium to fine grind and I can taste differences in :1. I do like strong coffee maybe

I should add my extraction time isn’t overly slow or anything - poured in at least 1min 45 and done in 3mins 15 (using the hario bleached 02 sheets made in Japan).

How long does yours take?

Pour Over Coffee

So my coffee corner keeps expanding.

Of course, all the black gear from Fellow, is mine. The white/cream stuff is my wife’s!

So this morning a light roast from Brazil, SITIO CACHOEIRINHA. A very light roast with lots of toffee and nuttiness coming through. Missus thought it look like tea!

Origin:Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Roast:Filter
    Producer:Soró da Silva
    Altitude:1200 - 1340 Meters
    Varietal:Red Catuai

20g per 340ml so a higher ratio than normal for me at 1:17

Love the V60 on a 'lab' stand'