closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pour Over Coffee

I've been drinking pour over filter for 3 years or so. I'd tried everything. Espresso machine, stove top, cafatiere, aeropress, coffee bags, pre prepared pour over kits

Now, I grind 10g of beans in my rancilio grinder, pour using my £5 swan neck jug from China, on to my Monmouth cone. I usually buy beans from harrods but can't be bothered with the trip every six weeks or so now.

So I wanted to ask how people have found square mile coffee deliveries.... Any good?

10g? Thatís a very low dose, or is it low volume to match?
    I usually do 15-18g depending on the bean

This morningís brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    So here is my new V60 set up. Kettle and grinder are out of shot.

Now it is time to play with the grind, amount of coffee and water!
    Very swish setup in a lovely room! As with all things coffee, experiment and enjoy the results.

Changes to time, temperature, agitation, water and even which filter papers you use can change the taste. Why? Well it's an organic produce and you need to find a recipe you enjoy. I more or less stick with Hoffman's recipe as in the video, but I do change the grind depending on the nature of the beans I'm using.

I'm lucky to be in Edinburgh with soft Scottish water, so no need for descaling or filters. I also have Artisan Roast who are exceptional local roasters, who stock a lovely range of carefully roasted beans.

Anyway enough chuntering, I hope everyone enjoys their coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    10g? Thatís a very low dose, or is it low volume to match?
    I usually do 15-18g depending on the bean
    10g is the sweet spot for me. I use 200g water. Not huge, not small.

Cost is also a factor. I pay £40-£45/kg for beans. So each cup costs me 40-45p.

That's a cost I'm comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable with 1.5-2x that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I've been drinking pour over filter for 3 years or so. I'd tried everything. Espresso machine, stove top, cafatiere, aeropress, coffee bags, pre prepared pour over kits

Now, I grind 10g of beans in my rancilio grinder, pour using my £5 swan neck jug from China, on to my Monmouth cone. I usually buy beans from harrods but can't be bothered with the trip every six weeks or so now.

So I wanted to ask how people have found square mile coffee deliveries.... Any good?
    I signed up with Square Mile last week and got my first delivery (Chelbesa) on Friday, its easily as good or better than anything I've had before (Pact/Hasbean) so I'll be sticking with them for now.

Craftsman
    This morningís brew!

That looks a really good clean brew.
    Mmmmm
    Regards
    V

10g is the sweet spot for me. I use 200g water. Not huge, not small.

Cost is also a factor. I pay £40-£45/kg for beans. So each cup costs me 40-45p.

That's a cost I'm comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable with 1.5-2x that.
    If you are looking for high quality but good value then Horsham coffee are good, I posted in the coffee thread with a discount code which makes it even cheaper. They do some interesting natural process and carbonic maceration coffeeís that have been excellent as filter.

Cool, I shall check them out

My preference is for a medium to strong roast. Nothing too acidic or fruity. I like creamy, nutty notes.

Another pour over fan here.
    I use an MBK aergrind, V60, a swan neck pouring kettle and scales.
    Fresh beans from a local roaster (Horsham Coffee) and digital scales.

I tend to use a 16:1 ratio and have found quite small grind adjustments can have significant results.

If any one wants to try Horsham Coffee send me a PM and I can send you a £5.00 off referral link

https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co....s/coffee-beans

I'm so weak Ö

Grand Master
    Drinking my first brew now. It's nice and smooth so I think I chose the right blend. It didn't work like his did though so I need to watch the video again.

Grand Master
    Right, so I mixed up my grams and millilitres :(

Second brew used correct volumes and digital scales and was much better.

I might buy a Chemex now, for the mornings and any time I'm brewing up for more than 1 person...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Right, so I mixed up my grams and millilitres :(

1g = 1ml water
    They are the same.
    How can you mix them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    1g = 1ml water
    They are the same.
    How can you mix them up?
    Presumably the ratios and thus amounts for coffee vs. water

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Presumably the ratios and thus amounts for coffee vs. water
    Unlikely ratios could be sensibly reversed.

I never understood a "server"

The transfer of coffee from the cone to the server cools it down a notch. And then into a cup to drink and it'll cool a notch more. Even if you pre warm all these bits, you'll still lose heat

Personally, I boil water, pour into a cheap stainless steel swan neck jug from China, warm the cone with filter in it. Water falls into my cup from the cone. Now the swan neck is warm, cone is warm and cup is warm

Discard the cup water and brew the coffee straight into the cup

It comes out at a temperature that is immediately sip-able

Journeyman
    Any recommendations for a good scale. Something with a timer for making the perfect v60...

Pour Over Coffee

I never understood a "server"

The transfer of coffee from the cone to the server cools it down a notch. And then into a cup to drink and it'll cool a notch more. Even if you pre warm all these bits, you'll still lose heat

Personally, I boil water, pour into a cheap stainless steel swan neck jug from China, warm the cone with filter in it. Water falls into my cup from the cone. Now the swan neck is warm, cone is warm and cup is warm

Discard the cup water and brew the coffee straight into the cup

It comes out at a temperature that is immediately sip-able
    Sorry but the same happens with regards to heat loss when you transfer the water from a kettle to your swan neck jug! You will lose a couple of degrees.

With a sever it gets heated the same as your cup does in your description above by wetting the filter with hot water. Plus the server allows you to brew a bigger quantity than one cup and so you can share with other coffee lovers in the house!

Last edited by paw3001; 23rd October 2020 at 12:09.

Grand Master
    I find the whole thing a right palava. The coffee is nice but by the time itís ready itís luke warm. Iíve a V60 thatís been used three times, 97 filter papers and two bags of artisan decaf coffee, one ground that Iíve made three brews with and the other are whole beans and unopened.

If anyone wants it Iíll do the lot for £20 delivered.

Wow that is a quick decision.
    It would take me at least three brews to dial In the grind on a new bag. I certainly wouldnít grind a bag at a time ( my arm would fall off!)
    I am not sure why the temperature is so low though.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I find the whole thing a right palava. The coffee is nice but by the time itís ready itís luke warm. Iíve a V60 thatís been used three times, 97 filter papers and two bags of artisan decaf coffee, one ground that Iíve made three brews with and the other are whole beans and unopened.

If anyone wants it Iíll do the lot for £20 delivered.
    How long is it taking you? Worth timing.

I use a server to help cool the coffee before pouring into a cup, good quality speciality coffee tastes great as it cools and often just as flavoursome when tepid.
    Unlike bulk roasted commodity coffee which is rank.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I use a server to help cool the coffee before pouring into a cup, good quality speciality coffee tastes great as it cools and often just as flavoursome when tepid.
    Unlike bulk roasted commodity coffee which is rank.
    If you adjust the grind, pour over coffee makes great iced coffee. I drank quite a lot of it in the summer

Sorry but the same happens with regards to heat loss when you transfer the water from a kettle to your swan neck jug! You will lose a couple of degrees.

With a sever it gets heated the same as your cup does in your description above by wetting the filter with hot water. Plus the server allows you to brew a bigger quaintly than one cup and so you can share with other coffee lovers in the house!

You're right. And tbh when I brew more than one cup, I use a pyrex jug to brew into and pour into cups from there. So effectively a server.

How robust is the glass on servers? When I used to drink cafatiere coffee, I must have broken more than ten cafatieres.

I'm quite happy with the way I brew but admittedly it does look a bit cheap, especially when guests are around.

It is borosilicate glass so heat resistant but it does feel a bit thin and so I doubt it is smash proof

Just a small update to say I am loving my pour over coffee with V60. It produces a very clean and bright cup of coffee and I now tend to drink it black whereas I use to always add milk. The coffee is light but rich with much less bitterness but not sure if that is the coffee or the method?

I have enjoyed experimenting with different weights and ratios of coffee to water. I tend to use 25-30g of coffee to 400-450g of water for 2-3 cups.

This coffee game can take you down some interesting paths on YouTube and James Hoffman is an excellent guide.

So what about Syphon coffee brewers? I like the idea of it being between a chewy French press and a V60 filter coffee!

I'm an anti coffee snob.

After years of different things, bean-to-cup machines, pods, Aluminium Moka pots, and whatever, I have settled on this item.

* It runs on the clock at 0650, with 2 nice cups of coffee ready for me when I pad downstairs at 0700 am.
    * It keeps the final coffee warm in the jug on the heated pad ready for post-shower breakfast at 0730
    * It is faultless for performance and needs a light washout once a month with soapy water
    * I can buy beans and grind them, or use ground coffee in 227g or (better) 454g bags from everywhere and try lots of things
    * It was £50 and is now 4 yrs old. 4x365 = 1400 uses or (5000p/1400) 3.5 p a go to run and going strong

I know it has no pressure or crema, but you know what, I don't care. That just makes the £3.95 Barrista item in a shop even more special.
    It is automated, reliable, and economical. No pods, no waiting for brewing, no overdraft to buy the thing.

If I win the Euromillions I will have my Butler start work on coffee at 0650 with a Nuova Simonelli, which I can brag about to my mates. But until then pour over coffee as above suits me just fine.

Just a small update to say I am loving my pour over coffee with V60. It produces a very clean and bright cup of coffee and I now tend to drink it black whereas I use to always add milk. The coffee is light but rich with much less bitterness but not sure if that is the coffee or the method?

I have enjoyed experimenting with different weights and ratios of coffee to water. I tend to use 25-30g of coffee to 400-450g of water for 2-3 cups.

This coffee game can take you down some interesting paths on YouTube and James Hoffman is an excellent guide.

So what about Syphon coffee brewers? I like the idea of it being between a chewy French press and a V60 filter coffee!
    Not tried a syphon, but the kit looks very sexy!!!!

Well I FINALLY managed to grab a Aergrind (thanks again member dixie for the heads up) - and have a V60 drip decanter and scales on its way as well. Just saw the square mile getting decent reviews and they're relatively local to me, so will try their coffee. Not cheap mind! Need to get a Britta next to soften up the water. And so the rabbit hole begins!

Anyone have a specific coffee recommendation from square mile?