closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone looking for a young apprentice North or Central London areas?

Anyone looking for a young apprentice North or Central London areas?

My son is desperate to find work, he is 18 got well over 100 UCAS points and is polite and courteous. Would do anything but really wants to get into sales in an ideal world. Has plenty of social media experience having grown his own Instagram business account with 110k followers and sold promotions on that. He is open to anything, including degree apprenticeships.

I know it’s a long shot but you never know.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I sympathise with his situation. Hope he finds something soon.

It might be worth approaching a few car dealers? There is a bit of a boom currently (although I’m not sure it’ll last).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Matt, apart from applying to the large companies who advertise careers on their own websites, tell him to watch out for the government backed 'Kickstart' vacancies which will be advertised imminently (6 months paid work, but possibly a foot in the door with a preferred employer). I assume he is registered with National Careers Service?
    Bit left field, but demonstrates enthusiasm - email preferred employers to ask about vacancies either apprenticed or Kickstart?
    For smaller employers he can ask ''will you take me on for 6 months if the government will pay my wages"
    Last edited by Suds; 27th September 2020 at 13:13.

Matt - I would suggest he gets in touch with recruitment companies and offers himself to do 3 months unpaid internship. Recruiters are busy at the moment and they are always after personable and reliable young people. Might just be a way of getting in the door

I know from my 20 year old who got a degree apprenticeship 2 years ago in big construction Project Management how frighteningly competitive that is and harder now as less opportunity and most of the schemes start August anyway so will have missed this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would be wary of internship. Plenty of companies use it as free labour. At the end of the internship they replace you with another intern. A certain fashion brand are the best known for it. There will be plenty of parasites out there looking to take advantage of the labour market at the moment. Remember his labour is worth something.

Kickstart sounds like a very worthwhile venture to investigate. If there is no job at the end of it he has at least been paid and has 6 months experience. He just needs to make himself indispensible in the meantime.

I wish him the very best of luck in what will be difficult times, but the cream always rises to the top.

Anyone looking for a young apprentice North or Central London areas?

I'd be wary of apprenticeships too. Many companies use them to pay well below the minimum wage and there is often minimal training.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 27th September 2020 at 17:07.

I hope your son gets the sort of career he is looking for Matt.

From your description he does sound very au fait with Insta etc could he not build upon that?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Based on where you live Matt I would tell him to hunt for startup jobs in and around Old St/Moorgate/Liverpool Street as will be easy to get to and if he's only 18 he might not want to wear a suit yet (or ever).

Startups are always cash poor and love internships. Could be a worthwhile for six months. There is nothing at my place and we only hire grads at the young end or I would offer a referral.

The this website might be handy along with LinkedIn etc - https://workinstartups.com/job-board/jobs/sales/

Standard SDR/BD/AE stuff should be a good bet. If not he can also try branch out into customer success to open the pool a bit or even look at customer services in a better firm with a view to transferring to sales in time.

If I was starting again I would be going to SAAS/Data/proper tech/financial services firms.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will pass on. He is registered everywhere and applying for everything. Even getting a job temporarily at Tesco or such like is proving hard.

If your son is interested in the franchised automotive space, I am more than happy to have a chat.

I don't want to break any rules by posting my contact information so please DM me if you want.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    My son is desperate to find work, he is 18 got well over 100 UCAS points and is polite and courteous. Would do anything but really wants to get into sales in an ideal world. Has plenty of social media experience having grown his own Instagram business account with 110k followers and sold promotions on that. He is open to anything, including degree apprenticeships.

I know it’s a long shot but you never know.
    Matt, has he considered working for a recruiter? Building that many followers would make him of interest to recruitment firms and if he has that initiative salary plus bonus model may suit him. If you want to Pm me I can connect you/him with someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ...snip There is nothing at my place and we only hire grads at the young end or I would offer a referral...snip
    This is also true when you get older. After 10 years+ in desktop and server support, I moved up here and couldn't even get an interview to do desktop and server support at the local council as I didn't have a degree.

The youngsters are between a rock and a hard place with degrees as it is. Get yourself into £50k of debt, unless you have wealthy parents, to risk a sub degree level job. COVID is adding to their misery. Don't get a degree, and they will get ruled out of interviews. The best thing is who they or their parents know. I have never been a beneficiary of that, but I am not knocking it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will pass on. He is registered everywhere and applying for everything. Even getting a job temporarily at Tesco or such like is proving hard.
    Matt its a myth that people can “just get a job at Tesco” they are looking for long termers who will do lots of minimum hour contracts. My lad worked in Iceland during Summer holidays and weekends when He was 16 only to get booted when he was 18 as he was too expensive compared to another fresh yoof. He applied to Tesco during his Uni breaks and was told they want long termers.

They may well take on temporary staff in the run up to Christmas, but they will shed them quickly after.