closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Royal - new release

Master

Tudor Royal - new release

This is certainly interesting. A Tudor day date with an integrated bracelet, and hints of Oysterquartz and Royal Oak. It has a good range of sizes too, including 38mm. Rolex are certainly willing to be a bit more experimental with Tudor it seems. I’m not in the market for such a thing personally, but it’s an interesting move to introduce a smart looking and well priced integrated bracelet sports watch. Thoughts?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...on-introducing

38mm version, without the day:

Last edited by Itsguy; 26th September 2020 at 14:45.

Master
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Tudor-release

I started the above only to be told I was really late to the party.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raydin View Post
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Tudor-release

I started the above only to be told I was really late to the party.
    Ha! Seems it was first released for the Asian market but has now been released over here. So two parties. Doesn’t seem to be getting much love based on the original thread.

Tudor Royal - new release

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Ha! Seems it was first released for the Asian market but has now been released over here. So two parties. Doesn’t seem to be getting much love based on the original thread.
    I think it looks really nice tbh
    Couple images grabbed off Instagram
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 26th September 2020 at 20:48.

Awful, just awful.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I like them. At first I was a bit unsure. And now I’m like - I must have one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Different bezel and it could be a winner, as it is.... nope.

I was one of the strange folk who really liked these when they launched on the Asian market. I even asked my AD what the chances were of getting hold of one. Don’t need to worry about that anymore. I even think the bi-metal has a certain something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    They seem to have combined three or four watches I like to make one I don’t quite, but it’s interesting to see Tudor (partly) referencing a Buckley dial Oysterquartz all the same. It seems it falls to Tudor to do the revivals that Rolex won’t. Can’t complain about the price though, it’s hard to find an integrated bracelet style watch in that price bracket, even if it is an ETA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Awful, just awful.
    Agree. The bezel and shape is a Maurice Lacroix Aikon, but the hour markers are worse. For integrated bracelet Tudors, you can’t beat the North Flag so why try?

Wow, what an eyesore - unless you're 70+. But, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Awful, just awful.

Indeed. A blank canvas, to then design that thing.
    F.T.F.A.

I will be putting my name down for the blue dial day date. The two tones I don’t like.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed. A blank canvas, to then design that thing.
    I was reminded of the phrase, 'A camel is horse designed by a committee'. That's certainly a 'bactrian' outcome. (I was curious over the origin of the phrase. Both the humourist Allan Sherman & designer Sir Alec Issigonis are credited with its creation.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I will be putting my name down for the blue dial day date...
    You think there'll be a list? I don't.
    ______

​Jim.

I think Rolex and Tudor designs really suffer, because they got pretty much everything right in their earlier watches, but to stay ‘current’ amongst the huge non-wis market they have to keep giving us watches with slightly less nice proportions, fussy bezels, odd coloured dials etc. They know the old stuff is nicer due to its ‘value’ to collectors but can’t re-release them in case the bubble bursts - hence this kind of dogs dinner approach, which is particularly apparent in this kind of ‘you really want a datejust, how about a cheaper much uglier one?’ furrow that Tudor - and Rolex- seem intent on. Fugly and boring imho

Nicely thought out and executed with the various design cues. I'm just not into the roman numerals and while i think i could stomach some... just not all the way round. Maybe they're a grower

Master
    A bit too reminiscent of the Omega Constellation series, but not awful looking imho.

Craftsman
    Considering they show 52 variations of this watch on the web site, it's quite incredible how limited the options actually are ! Far too many have diamonds and two tone.

The watch has too much going on in it's current guise ... the engine-turned bezel would probably look Ok with a simpler dial, baton indices rather than Roman dial perhaps, and similarly the Roman dial is crying out for a plain bezel.

This mock up would be my preference, if only we had the choice !

Master
    Embarrassed to say I am a fan...blue day date would be ny choice but I am resisting for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Embarrassed to say I am a fan...blue day date would be ny choice but I am resisting for now.
    Agreed.

And I think I might quite like the diamond dial version too. There. I said it.

I think this is another good offering from Tudor. Unfortunately, this model is not for me because I just can't do integrated bracelets. They always look less elegant than cases with lugs and make the watch head look like a block of steel.

Craftsman
    I also quite like the blue day date.
    May have to try one in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I was reminded of the phrase, 'A camel is horse designed by a committee'. That's certainly a 'bactrian' outcome. (I was curious over the origin of the phrase. Both the humourist Allan Sherman & designer Sir Alec Issigonis are credited with its creation.)

You think there'll be a list? I don't.
    Perhaps not for all variants but I think the blue dial stainless steel will be very popular.

Master
    The thought process actually makes a great deal of sense. The Royal Oak has become insanely desirable. Rolex made their own 70s integrated bracelet watch, the Oysterquartz, evolved from a Genta design that he did before the Royal Oak, for Rolex (the Texan). Surely this is something celebrate, though Rolex themselves would never do something so radical. Add to this that Buckley dials are classy, and engine turned bezels interesting. And finally let’s not forget that the day date is the one watch to rule them all. Add these all together and you get... less than the sum of the parts unfortunately, but the logic is faultless.

I will however give them a gold star for making one in 38mm, something which continues to elude Rolex.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 27th September 2020 at 23:59.

Journeyman
    It’s a bit too flashy for my taste with the bezel and the Roman numerals. With that said, it’s an interesting watch and I find the steel with blue dial attractive; the sizing is also smart as 38mm should be about perfect for this style of watch. I could see this line doing pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I'm looking forward to seeing/trying one of these in the flesh.

Journeyman
    I like a lot of Tudors offerings but this one isn’t to my taste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Considering they show 52 variations of this watch on the web site, it's quite incredible how limited the options actually are ! Far too many have diamonds and two tone.

The watch has too much going on in it's current guise ... the engine-turned bezel would probably look Ok with a simpler dial, baton indices rather than Roman dial perhaps, and similarly the Roman dial is crying out for a plain bezel.

This mock up would be my preference, if only we had the choice !

That does seem to help, though now the bezel looks like it should be thinner. There's a lot going on, the day display means a fair amount of cutting up of the numerals on the 41mm version. Maybe replace the Roman numerals with batons and tweak the bezel and bracelet and you'd have something... Alternatively just re-release this.

I dont use this word very often... in fact its possible Ive used it less than 10 times in my entire life... but I think that tudor is absolutely gopping...

Master
    Gopping meaning, nice or minging?
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I dont use this word very often... in fact its possible Ive used it less than 10 times in my entire life... but I think that tudor is absolutely gopping...
    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think with a suit it looks great. Like really. Pic nicked from Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Wow. That looks great. It’s amazing how different a watch can look in real shots to the website pics!

I think it’s horrible.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    This is certainly interesting. A Tudor day date with an integrated bracelet, and hints of Oysterquartz and Royal Oak. It has a good range of sizes too, including 38mm. Rolex are certainly willing to be a bit more experimental with Tudor it seems. I’m not in the market for such a thing personally, but it’s an interesting move to introduce a smart looking and well priced integrated bracelet sports watch. Thoughts?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...on-introducing

38mm version, without the day:

..................]
    Not normally a Tudor fan but I like the look of the two tone, the only thing that spoils it in my opinion are the fussy Roman numerals. If it just had batons the dial would look so much better imo.
    Although wealthy footballers tastes may beg to differ!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Growing on me and i can see attraction and will be very popular, much prefer this over the 41mm. Also amazing value for money.

Can’t put my finger on what it is but there’s something about these I quite like

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Nice Tudor,Im buying this vintage 1988 relative tomorrow,just had a service so good for several years.

Craftsman
    I quite like that.
    In the flesh it may be a different story but wouldn't mind trying one to see.

Tudor have certainly got balls because I don't know of any other watch brand that is trying to bring the 1990's back into fashion?

Rather have one of these

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Doesn’t look like this will be introduced into the U.K. It seems it’s only Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Doesn’t look like this will be introduced into the U.K. It seems it’s only Asia.

It is in the UK but only at the Tudor boutique in London

Craftsman

Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Tudor have certainly got balls because I don't know of any other watch brand that is trying to bring the 1990's back into fashion?
    " Fashion ", i feel that this is were Tudor is placing itself either by choice or just default. The Black bay tapped into the Vintage vibe which has been dominant in the market for probably near a decade now but is somewhat loosing it's lustre as trends are changing and now with the Royal, Tudor are now stepping into the Neo-vintage with a homage to the watches off the early/mid 80's.

Does not appear that Tudor or the big brother, Rolex, are confident in breaking the mould with there model ranges and prefer to play safe with what they know. Let Tudor play about with the back catalogue but not enough to threaten the older Brother and let Rolex produce the same old catalogue of watches but maybe add a touch of Gold or some crayon coloured dials for the masses who need one on the wrist for the instagram photo. As long as the money keeps coming in!

It is in the UK but only at the Tudor boutique in London
    Ah thanks for that. My friend wants one and he was looking at importing!! Il let him know.

Craftsman
    These have an awful lot going on. I can see how they might appeal to some people but I think the combination of the integrated bracelet and engine turned bezel is a bit of a strange looking mix.

I’m a tudor fan , I have a 58 and the po1 , I really like this one but not to my personal taste as prefer dive style watches but it looks very nice, I love that Tudor have made it what’s not to like about Tudor? Good prices, no waiting lists and fantastic quality

Plus whoever buys this watch will be able to say this cheesy joke
    ‘I heard a rumour that they were going to ban Roman Numerals. Not on my watch!’

I tried this with a blue dial and it is a lovely watch and I have put my name down for when they are available.

They told me that the one they had in the Tudor Boutique in London was the only one anywhere in Europe.

I was there to look at Black Bays and it really caught my eye and having tried it on, I will be buying one.

I'm not a huge fan of roman numerals so that is my only gripe but it really is a lovely watch in the flesh and much nicer than the stock photos.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    I tried this with a blue dial and it is a lovely watch and I have put my name down for when they are available.

They told me that the one they had in the Tudor Boutique in London was the only one anywhere in Europe.

I was there to look at Black Bays and it really caught my eye and having tried it on, I will be buying one.

I'm not a huge fan of roman numerals so that is my only gripe but it really is a lovely watch in the flesh and much nicer than the stock photos.
    Interesting, is that the Boutique near Liverpool street/broadgate?

Did they say anything about when these would be more readily available?

Cheers

The blue dial is the pick of the bunch for me, but doesn't 'float my boat' overall.

Love the look of these, didn’t realise they were so hard to find. I guess that explains the lack of online photos of them. I do think this will be a next year purchase for me.