closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll just leave this here

I'll just leave this here

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Looking good!

Master
    Prefer the commando hands but not the commando logo. Is no logo an option, would be nice and clean without, just like the everest in fact.
    Last edited by bobc; 26th September 2020 at 14:03.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Commando my pref

Journeyman
    My bank account is already wincing. Looks great!

Datejust style hands on an Explorer style watch? Not for me I'm afraid. "Commando" has no place on a watch dial - tacky.
    F.T.F.A.

It just gets better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Prefer the commando hands but not the commando logo. Is no logo an option, would be nice and clean without, just like the everest in fact.
    ^^^^ This for me also.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Some don't like the Mercedes hands so this means that they don't have to faff about trying to have alternatives fitted.

Personally I prefer to everything as 1016 as possible.

Good point about the script on the dial - perhaps a more discrete tone for this would be better?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've posted my thoughts on the Everest's hands before (it's one reason why I'm now wearing an Expedition).

1. Given the choice of Commando or Everest hands, I'd go for Commando hands because the Everest ones are currently unbalanced. BUT I'd much prefer the Everest to keep its normal hands but just tweaked a touch to make them more even/balanced. So: I’d stick with the originals but look to improve them.

2. In terms of the name, I don't mind it per se, but the font looks a bit 'off'.

3. Regarding the comment about Datejust hands on an Explorer face; it's not a Rolex, nor is it pretending to be, so I think Eddie can do what he likes. That said, if I were designing this new Commando Watch, I'd probably remove the numerals and replace them with slightly larger hour markers. Similar to the Grand Seiko SBGA211. I think that would be truly beautiful.

Tempus non expectat virum et aestus.
    Last edited by fm.tz; 26th September 2020 at 15:36.

The word COMMANDO is longer than the word SMITHS so it doesn't work.

How about a blue dial? The world can't get enough blue dials.

Also, if the hands are to be changed, then the 3 6 9 should be removed as they have military connotation.
    Last edited by abraxas; 26th September 2020 at 15:25.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by fm.tz View Post
    ...3. Regarding the comment about Datejust hands on an Explorer face; it's not a Rolex, nor is it pretending to be, so I think Eddie can do what he likes. That said, if I were designing this new Commando Watch, I'd probably remove the numerals and replace them with slightly larger hour markers. Similar to the Grand Seiko SBGA211. I think that would be truly beautiful.
    A couple of rough mock-ups of my idea.
    Last edited by fm.tz; 26th September 2020 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by fm.tz View Post
    A couple of rough mock-ups of my idea.
    Love that with the triangular indices!

I was always a big fan of that sort of style indices since I first saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannacet View Post

Agreed! That looks great. I would buy that if it was 36mm and on a non-riveted bracelet (one of my many watch pet hates).

I’m also not a fan of the word “commando” on the dial... it’s a bit walt-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannacet View Post

I think they would both look great. It's hard to judge fairly with my poor colour matching of the indices, but I think I prefer the uniformity of the bars at the 3/6/9, as they balance better with the hands. They'd need to be slightly bigger than the other hour marks (but smaller than the 12), to give some differentiation at the quarters.

I'd love to see a proper render of these ideas by Eddie, but he's a touch busy atm.

Last edited by fm.tz; 26th September 2020 at 16:34.

I like the handset a very lot, the Merc set has been a bit of a sticking point for me on the Everest. I reckon it should be called 'Gurkha' to maintain a Nepal connection and the font should be even stealthier than the original. And it should have a khukuri engraved on the caseback.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I like the handset a very lot, the Merc set has been a bit of a sticking point for me on the Everest. I reckon it should be called 'Gurkha' to maintain a Nepal connection and the font should be even stealthier than the original. And it should have a khukuri engraved on the caseback.
    Interesting idea. Perhaps with a donation to a Gurkha charity with every one sold?

I imagine they would sell like hot cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Interesting idea. Perhaps with a donation to a Gurkha charity with every one sold?

I imagine they would sell like hot cakes.
    I'd go for that like fresh samosas delivered every morning at tea break time.

I'd go for that like fresh samosas delivered every morning at tea break time.

So would I. My father served alongside the Gurkhas in WWII and had nothing but the greatest admiration for them.

Many years later he visited the Gurkha Museum in Winchester with my mother and he got into conversation with a retired Gurkha officer there, who took great delight in my father speaking some Nepali with him. Later as my parents were leaving, my mother showed interest in a Kukri brooch in the gift shop, a lovely piece made in filigree silver. She decided it was too expensive for her to buy and left the shop, but shortly afterwards the retired Gurkha caught up with my parents and presented the brooch to mother as a gift in recognition of my fathers service with them.

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    That’s a great story Ralph, these things don’t happen often in life and the memories should be cherished.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Love it. I think I even posted about wanting a commando version about a year ago, yes I did: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5196659 :)

Love the inspiration: https://www.fratellowatches.com/role...the-risk/#gref

Love the fact that my wife would love it as her grandfather served in 4 Commando.

Change nothing. One for '21 I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Every day's a school day. Thank you for the lesson in historic rare Rolexes. Interesting that Rolex used the Explorer-esk dial; I stand by my view that it's better without the numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    So would I. My father served alongside the Gurkhas in WWII and had nothing but the greatest admiration for them.

Many years later he visited the Gurkha Museum in Winchester with my mother and he got into conversation with a retired Gurkha officer there, who took great delight in my father speaking some Nepali with him. Later as my parents were leaving, my mother showed interest in a Kukri brooch in the gift shop, a lovely piece made in filigree silver. She decided it was too expensive for her to buy and left the shop, but shortly afterwards the retired Gurkha caught up with my parents and presented the brooch to mother as a gift in recognition of my fathers service with them.

R

Stories like that make my day

R

Simply marvellous Ralph. Thanks for sharing with us.
    F.T.F.A.

Oh yes. Absolutely!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I still think that the Omega Dynamic handset combined with the Seamaster second hand is the perfect combination:

R
    That's a lovely heartwarming start to my day.

Apprentice
    I really like the bold legibility of the right one.

Great design!

Master
    Oh dear, it was so much easier when I could ignore the Everest because of the Mercedes hands. I much prefer these alternative ones. I've never been much of a fan of the large 3, 6 and 9 (although I appreciate why they are there) so the suggestion of the triangular indices gets my vote.

I have my reservations about Commando too, I also think it comes across as a bit Walty. I did think about alternatives to Everest such as Chomolangma or Sagarmatha but they look a bit long to squeeze on to a watch dial. They might be shorter if written in the Tibetan or Nepali script. I have seen Sagarmatha written with a hypen in, Sagar-matha, which could lend it being written on two lines which might help balance the logo at the top. I quite like Annapurna too but not so closely related to Everest.

The printing is just so fine...

What to know about the Rolex Commando
    https://www.rescapement.com/blog/wha...rolex-commando

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The printing is just so fine...

What to know about the Rolex Commando
    https://www.rescapement.com/blog/wha...rolex-commando

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Yeah you said...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Well it'll certainly bring a different meaning to waking up and thinking; 'Hmm I think I'll go commando today '

😄

Craftsman
    I have no doubt that Mr Platts Commando version just as it is shown in the first post would sell out just as fast as the current Everest version. However on a very very slightly similar look a version i would still dearly like to see and buy is a Railmaster version .What i envisage to make it unique is the dial style of the 36mm 2504.52 but with a sandwich dial and with the the name(top of dial Smiths de lux or Smiths Imperial)bottom of dial "Master Cutler" after the Sheffield to London express train.
    Last edited by silver centurian; 27th September 2020 at 16:01.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    I have no doubt that Mr Platts Commando version just as it is shown in the first post would sell out just as fast as the current Everest version. However on a very very slightly similar look a version i would still dearly like to see and buy is a Railmaster version .What i envisage to make it unique is the dial style of the 36mm 2504.52 but with a sandwich dial and with the the name "Master Cutler" after the Sheffield to London express train.
    A Timefactors homage to the Railmaster 2504.52 is a watch I would absolutely be chomping at the bit to buy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SussexScots View Post
    A Timefactors homage to the Railmaster 2504.52 is a watch I would absolutely be chomping at the bit to buy!
    You,me and several hundred others i suspect

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Datejust style hands on an Explorer style watch? Not for me I'm afraid. "Commando" has no place on a watch dial - tacky.
    "Everest" is cool ... "Commando" just makes me think of underpants .. or the lack of them .... and agree about the hands as well.

We seem to be in the minority though !

Love the Gurkha story ...

Craftsman
    Very nice watch but think Command or Commander rather than Commando may be a better identifier given its styling.

My two pennyworth anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    You,me and several hundred others i suspect
    And another here....

My two cents: Leave the Everest/Expedition where they are, and move on to another project. There's a risk in diluting the model's importance with too many variations (unless you are Rolex).

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My two cents: Leave the Everest/Expedition where they are, and move on to another project. There's a risk in diluting the model's importance with too many variations (unless you are Rolex).
    Good point.
    Do you think a new name, new face colour, new hands, removal of the 3/6/9 and introduction of triangles/bars at those markers, a new strap, but keeping the case, would be enough of a 'new' watch to not be seen as a spin-off?

Well said !
    Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app

What about a limited edition for this version? I will like to have one.

Not sure that's too much of a concern in the homage marketplace to be fair, e.g. Steinhart seem to manage to keep selling OK.

Apprentice
    Seeing Eddie's latest 'Commando' thoughts that he "just left here" on this thread reminded me of the stainless steel hand wound 17 jewel Rolex watches that some sections of B.O.A.C. (British Overseas Airways Corporation) engineering department presented to employees for long service in the 1960's and very early 1970's most were black 3-6-9 dials with a smattering of silver dials that had gold batons. Unlike other employers long service presentation watches there was no case back engraving but on the dials in the empty of Rolex script lower segment B.O.A.C. script had been applied in white for the black dials and black for the silver dials, on watches presented in the 60's italic script was used which in keeping with corporate branding changed to non italic heavy block capital letters in the 70's. None of the presentation Rolex watches were mounted on bracelets and the leather strap colour option appeared only to be black with a Rolex coronet buckle.

At 34mm in diameter the Rolex watches were considered to be large with some recipients casting an envious eye over the more fashionable 30/32mm diameter gold Smiths/Garrard long service engraved watches presented to Champion Spark Plug employees who worked in the next door factory to the airlines engineering base at Hatton Cross (Heathrow Airport) and as a result the engravers employed in the airlines Instrument Shop and in the 'Small Tools Section' (yes, I know but that really was the sections title) were kept busy unofficially engraving the Rolex case backs with names staff numbers and dates.

Sadly the watch presentations came to an end as the state owned airline flew deeper into the red and then onto successful privatisation as BA (British Airways). The Rolex presentations were not corporate policy and were paid for out of individual manager departmental budgets and the practice was stopped which meant that by the time I reached eligibility for a long service award it was a very nice certificate a not so nice polyester tie and a Debenhams department store voucher which my wife enjoyed spending.

A very long way now from my 1960's B.O.A.C. engineering apprenticeship I've not seen a B.O.A.C. presentation Rolex since the 1990's when attending a farewell party for employees of a BA section that was being outsourced, the wearer a retired engineer explained that he had been as equally unimpressed with his polyester tie as I had been and that the Rolex had been presented to his father who had been transferred to B.O.A.C. from the Air Ministry when it had been wound down and then disbanded in the late 1950's and early 60's, like many who work in aviation the father had a chequered career and had first worked for Imperial Airways itself a forerunner of B.O.A.C. before being transferred by way of the RAF to the Air Ministry, continuous service within aviation it was decided counted and the old man got the Rolex.
    Last edited by Misbourne; 1st October 2020 at 16:26.

Can't use Commando, it's already registered as a trademark for watches.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Misbourne View Post
    .... it was decided counted and the old man got the Rolex.
    Have you got any pictures of it? Google doesn't bring anything up.

Thanks for the story by the way. Very informative.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Have you got any pictures of it? Google doesn't bring anything up.

Thanks for the story by the way. Very informative.
    I'm afraid not, all a long time ago now and as I said the last of these B.O.A.C. Rolex's that I've seen was in the 1990's. Love to get my hands on one but price wise it would be the double whammy of both being a Rolex and of interest to aeronautica collectors/investors.
    A superlative 'Smiths' interpretation of the same would fill the void as almost anything with B.O.A.C. stamped engraved or painted upon it is eagerly sought out and if I'd known that back in the 70's I'd have filled a couple of trucks with the stuff that was being thrown out at that time after of course purchasing it for pennies from the disposals section.