closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a proper watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post

And I'm not even sure it's brands. Everyone would consider a Tag Heuer Monaco to be a proper watch, but not maybe not some of their entry level quartz offerings?
    The trouble is a lot of the modern ones don't have a 'proper' chronograph movement - the ETA 2894-2 isn't taken seriously and the watch mainly trades on its brand name and history.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The trouble is a lot of the modern ones don't have a 'proper' chronograph movement - the ETA 2894-2 isn't taken seriously and the watch mainly trades on its brand name and history.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    There's nothing wrong with brand name and history though to be fair.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My first "proper watch" to me refers to my first Swiss automatic which was an Oris big crown pointer date, and at the time Swiss Auto from a well known manufacture that carries some cache and a higher price tag (750+) was what I meant.

I had a Seiko Kinetic Arctura at the time which had died so I was on the hunt for what I considered proper.

Of course, there are all sorts of Japanese/quartz watches that can also be considered proper, but I can only really say what I meant when I use/d the term.

Master
    A proper watch is designed to have lasting value, while others are part of disposable consumer culture, destined for a land fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A proper watch is designed to have lasting value, while others are part of disposable consumer culture, destined for a land fill.
    I thought you would say a proper watch has to be bigger than 42mm!:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I thought you would say a proper watch has to be bigger than 42mm!:-)
    Oh the ones larger than 42mm don’t have lasting value, they’re just fashion items