closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recurring blisters - walking shoes

Master

Recurring blisters - walking shoes

Over the last year or so I have been doing a lot more walking and my current walking shoes are giving me recurring blisters on my right foot only - specifically my right little toe.

They were comfortable when I bought then over two years ago but with increased use the sole is wearing down on the outside much more than the inside - the difference is very pronounced actually.

Would a custom insole help?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Over the last year or so I have been doing a lot more walking and my current walking shoes are giving me recurring blisters on my right foot only - specifically my right little toe.

They were comfortable when I bought then over two years ago but with increased use the sole is wearing down on the outside much more than the inside - the difference is very pronounced actually.

Would a custom insole help?
    Before I started with knee trouble I had a few pairs of good walking shoes ie Meindl, Salomon x 2 but since then I've found it hard getting the right fit.
    They haven't started to curl up have they, given that they dont generally last all that long ?
    If the sole is worn on the outside it sounds like you're over pronating slightly.

Edit:Its under pronating or supinating

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RD200; 26th September 2020 at 12:34.

I have a pair of North face boots at the moment. They wear down pretty quick but I use them daily and normally replace every year or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2302 View Post
    I have a pair of North face boots at the moment. They wear down pretty quick but I use them daily and normally replace every year or so.
    I've just worn out my second pair of Jack Wolfskin summer boots.
    I've done a lot of miles since November and they've only lasted a matter of months but the comfort are a trade off for durability that I'll take.

I believe they call that sort of wear UNDER pronation. That wear pattern will happen with any boots/shoes that you buy. You need some new ones by the sound of it. Comments on here and YouTube research have led me to Solovair. Something here might suit.

The other tip is a pair of liner socks inside your usual socks to prevent blistering.

Correction in CAPS above, as per comments below.
    Last edited by Templogin; 26th September 2020 at 15:39.

How about trying different socks? I tend to wear decent walking socks with a high wool blend that really helps.

I used to get blisters on my little toe when doing ultras and switched to woolen injinji toe socks which sorted it. Toe socks are not for everyone thought. But once you’ve got them on you forget in a couple of minutes.

Unless you're scrambling or doing something even more challenging, I think you can get away with trail shoes.

In fact, I don't even use trail shoes. I just wear my usual (neutral) trainers. I replace them every 500 miles or so. Sometimes I use gaiters for sandy terrain or reinforce the toe if there are sharp rocks, but I'm not sure you need heavy footwear for walking. IME of course.

Master
    You’re under-pronating (not over). Insoles / wedges might help.

The solution to blisters is to buy boots one size too big, and *always* wear double socks; a normal tight fitting thin cotton sock (that won’t move against your foot) with a walking sock over the top. Even in the summer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    You’re under-pronating (not over). Insoles / wedges might help.

The solution to blisters is to buy boots one size too big, and *always* wear double socks; a normal tight fitting thin cotton sock (that won’t move against your foot) with a walking sock over the top. Even in the summer.
    Yeah your right it's under pronating.
    I'd been running for years and always checked for pronating/supinating when changing my running shoes.
    Then I started having achilles injury problems and when I checked my shoes, the left one was worn on the inside.
    4 years later I had a hip replacement and during that time I'd started wearing insoles to stop me overpronating with the result that I'd underpronate and sometimes fall over when hiking.
    Since those days, 15 years ago, various articles I've read have said counter acting supination/over pronating is just piffle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Since those days, 15 years ago, various articles I've read have said counter acting supination/over pronating is just piffle
    My strong personal experience concurs. I’ve caused myself more injuries with insoles and wedges trying to correct over pronation than by anything else. I think very few cases need correcting (pro athletes, ultra high milers and obvious major anatomical discrepancies) - the rest just need sensible appropriate shoes and a mindful gait.

Master
    My strong personal experience concurs. I’ve caused myself more injuries with insoles and wedges trying to correct over pronation than by anything else. I think very few cases need correcting (pro athletes, ultra high milers and obvious major anatomical discrepancies) - the rest just need sensible appropriate shoes and a mindful gait.
    I went over on my ankle descending Snowdon and that was because of those insoles but at the time I blamed my boots.
    I bet that thinking has been the cause of a lot of injuries

Master
    On brand boot choice, I think they’re all much of a muchness these days, unless you’re planning to ascend Everest.

My comfiest and most reliable boots are some fabric Hi-Tec boots that cost maybe £30 some 15 years ago; I’ve climbed many of the Lake District peaks in them.

I bought some Jack Wolfskin boots (fairly budget ones; about £100 ish I think from an outdoors shop) for winter mountain hiking in deep snow in Europe and they were fine, but I bet any £100 boot would have done an equally good job. The key is sizing (as I said before, go one size too big), double socks and quality waterproofing spray / gaiters. Also I had mini crampons attached to mine the whole week, and no blisters.

Master
    On brand boot choice, I think they’re all much of a muchness these days, unless you’re planning to ascend Everest.

My comfiest and most reliable boots are some fabric Hi-Tec boots that cost maybe £30 some 15 years ago; I’ve climbed many of the Lake District peaks in them.

I bought some Jack Wolfskin boots (fairly budget ones; about £100 ish I think from an outdoors shop) for winter mountain hiking in deep snow in Europe and they were fine, but I bet any £100 boot would have done an equally good job. The key is sizing (as I said before, go one size too big), double socks and quality waterproofing spray / gaiters. Also I had mini crampons attached to mine the whole week, and no blisters.
    The first pair of those Jack Wolfskin boots I got were the same size as my shoes but the second pair I had to go up a 1/2 size which is the norm for walking boots imo.