closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycle to Work scheme

Master

Cycle to Work scheme

I'm sure I've seen some discussion on this before but up to date info would help me. My Daughter would like to get a bike but tbh it would be rarely if ever be used for commuting just recreation. I understand it would be 'manipulating' the system but her employer wouldn't give a toss one way or the other so could she use the C2W scheme? I ask this because I met someone with an ebike for sale who bought his through Network Rail and he only uses it for fun. Do many people do this?

Master
    I’ve had a bike every year since the scheme started and never rode to work once.

I'd be shocked if even 10% of cycle to work bikes were used to cycle to work.

Master
    I think the government are using the scheme more as a hope of keeping people fit, and knowing they wouldn't normally buy a bike of their own accord they thought of a way to incentivise them to do so.

Just my opinion though.

I'm one of the rare ones that use(d, no commuting at the moment) my bike for a partial commute, I cycle to the train station. Initially this was not the case. I just used the scheme to buy a bike for me and the wife.

I later had an epiphany that if I cycle to the train station, I could drink more after work!

Seems like an improperly regulated, Government waste of money.

Maybe they'll be giving away e-scooters next.

In theory you're going to use it for your commute, at least in part. In practice, nobody is going to check and as others have said, I suspect it's a small proportion that ever get used for actual commuting.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Strictly speaking it is fraudulent to get a bike on the scheme knowing full well that you won’t ever use it to commute. The chances are that you will never be penalised for doing this though, so it’s down to how comfortable you are with tax evasion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great info guys. And thanks to those who have pm'd

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I later had an epiphany that if I cycle to the train station, I could drink more after work!
    How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    How does that work?
    I work in Central London, when I have a pint or few after work before getting on the train, normally it put me over the limit for the drive home from the station the other end. Now I get tipsy after office hours, get on the train, then cycle home at the other end.

Master
    You can lose your license for riding a bicycle under the influence of drink or drugs. Unlikely I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Maybe they'll be giving away e-scooters next.
    Aaaaannnd.........Right on Cue !!

I'm sure there's a whole long list of improperly regulated Government wastes of money but it possibly stops us being a nation of lard arses and keeps the cycle manufacturing industry in a job.
    They're not given away, the cost is taken out of peoples wages (but I'm sure you knew all about that aswell)

Craftsman
    Small beer in the scheme of things and if it encourages people to get on a bike why not.

Master
    I’ve been using the scheme for some years and use mine every day to C2W
    For me it’s a great scheme and our one (RM) is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Small beer in the scheme of things and if it encourages people to get on a bike why not.
    Then why not make bike ownership cheaper for everyone, rather than invent this scheme to be largely taken advantage of by tax dodgers if posters here are typical?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Aaaaannnd.........Right on Cue !!
    Indeed, who'd think you'd be along to comment on my post?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th September 2020 at 19:37.

Indeed, who'd think you'd be along to comment on my post?
    I'm right there, everytime. It's to try and counter your abject negativity but I'm having a rethink because not sure that's possible....

I'm right there, everytime. It's to try and counter your abject negativity but I'm having a rethink because not sure that's possible....
    Pretty negative yourself yesterday. Upset they've found you?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th September 2020 at 19:50.

Craftsman
    Then why not make bike ownership cheaper for everyone, rather than invent this scheme to be largely taken advantage of by tax dodgers if posters here are typical?
    It's an incentive to make bike purchasing cheaper for taxpayers. No scheme can suit all purchasers. I took advantage of the scheme, use it for work every day, have a more reliable bike than my old second hand one and keep fit. If the scheme didn't exist there would be fewer cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    It's an incentive to make bike purchasing cheaper for taxpayers. No scheme can suit all purchasers. I took advantage of the scheme, use it for work every day, have a more reliable bike than my old second hand one and keep fit. If the scheme didn't exist there would be fewer cyclists.
    Appreciate some like yourself use it properly but do seem many who just use it to buy a bike for leisure. If the idea is to encourage bike use for health reasons then include the low paid, the un-employed, the retired, pensioners the self-employed(?) etc. Many of these are also tax-payers of course.

Surely a more inclusive scheme could be devised.

Craftsman
    Appreciate some like yourself use it properly but do seem many who just use it to buy a bike for leisure. If the idea is to encourage bike use for health reasons then include the low paid, the un-employed, the retired, pensioners the self-employed(?) etc. Many of these are also tax-payers of course.

Surely a more inclusive scheme could be devised.
    Agreed, but when did any government ever get a fully inclusive scheme to work for all, never. Send your suggestion to Grant ;)

If the idea is to encourage bike use for health reasons then include the low paid, the un-employed, the retired, pensioners the self-employed(?) grumpy old farts, etc.
    I do wonder which of the demographic you fit into ?

Maybe you should rename yourself "Kingstalker" ?

I do wonder which of the demographic you fit into ?

Maybe you should rename yourself "Kingstalker" ?

Who's stalking who?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    You can lose your license for riding a bicycle under the influence of drink or drugs. Unlikely I know.
    I suspect strongly this is not the case, any evidence of this ?

Master
    https://www.quittance.co.uk/personal...cle-when-drunk

"Ignoring a red light risks a Fixed Penalty Notice of £30. Although a cyclist's driving licence cannot be endorsed for this or any other cycling offence, the Courts may disqualify a cyclist from driving a car. According to the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 - The court by or before which a person is convicted of an offence committed after 31st December 1997 may, instead of or in addition to dealing with him in any other way, order him to be disqualified, for such period as it thinks fit, for holding or obtaining a driving licence."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Couldn't they just knock of the VAT?
    That would be too obvious and simple for government to fathom

Grand Master
    What is this "work" you speak of?.

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t feel guilty about not using it to commute, as someone else mentioned it’s about encouraging activity.
    I personally know of someone who spent his CTW voucher on a static turbo trainer. His rationale was that it was to maintain his fitness over winter so he could cycle to work next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget you are only leasing the bike from the scheme for quite a long period, even after you've paid your employer back. Neither do all employers run the scheme regardless of size. The county council did, that is how I got mine, but the 40-school academy trust we moved to didn't.

Judging by the large trickle of new-with-box Bromptons that appear on gumtree I'd say some not only never ride them but sell them on immediately (even though the bikes aren't theirs to sell).