closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee machine recommendations.

Master

Coffee machine recommendations.

Morning all.

My wife has a hankering for a new coffee machine and is researching and googling away.
    Any recommendations from the forum aficionados for a fairly easy to use bean to cup coffee machine? Needs to have dual bean ability, able to use beans or ground coffee and with different profiles for family members.

Thanks in advance
    Neil

Blog Entries
    Just get a Delonghi - simple and robust

£56 with the 20% offer code (making £80 cheaper than on Amazon where it gets great reviews) - my parents have it and it’s rock solid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254702434510

They have some posher options on there too…. But may as well get a separate £35 milk frother from Amazon as they tend to do a great job…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th September 2020 at 11:58.

Blog Entries
    Might want to mention budget!!!!

Master
    I don’t want to be one of those folk who recommends X when you’re asking for Y... but...

I have a £1200 bean to cup super duper machine, and yet 9 times out of 10 I use my £99 Nespresso.

It’s quicker, easier, cleaner and frankly tastes better most of the time as I struggle with getting consistency from my ‘hand made’ machine (it’s hard to get exactly the same grind, quantity, tamp etc every time). Also my Nespresso has the milk heater / frother and it’s *so* much easier and cleaner than steaming it.

Worth bearing in mind from someone who’d been where you are and done the coffee machine journey!

Master
    Great suggestions and advice guys and budget is going to be £800 max.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    I've got a Jura C60 and hasn't put a foot wrong in the two years I have been using it daily. New version seems to be the E6:

https://uk.jura.com/en/homeproducts/...k-UK-15350-v19

Should be under budget with a small discount

Perhaps not quite what you asked, but...

Equipment:

* Reasonable to decent quality conical burr grinder (eg Dualit CCG2)

* Aeropress

* Aeropress filters

* Hand-operated milk frother (eg Bodum)

The above should cost no more than £150 to £200, maximum.

Once you've got your Aeropress technique perfected, you can make a coffee / latte every bit as good as a good quality coffee shop or machine.

Maybe not quite as quick as an automatic Nespresso etc machine, but pretty much as quick to make something as a regular coffee machine.

Oh, and perhaps most importantly, coffee beans from a good quality (most likely independent) coffee roaster. I buy mine from Two Day Coffee Roasters in Bristol. They do mail order and, as their name suggests, everything they sell has been roasted within two days of selling / dispatch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CamCG; 26th September 2020 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I've got a Jura C60 and hasn't put a foot wrong in the two years I have been using it daily. New version seems to be the E6:

https://uk.jura.com/en/homeproducts/...k-UK-15350-v19

Should be under budget with a small discount
    Looks a good choice and bang on budget!

Craftsman
    If you want a decent coffee avoid bean to cup. If you want hassle free coffee then get a Nespresso.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had a Gaggia Classic, had an aeropress now just use a Nespresso machine. Just easier and some decent coffees

Master
    Sage Barista Express - we bought one of these from John Lewis on the recommendation of my son who had used one at work for some time.
    Freshly ground coffee is streets ahead of pre-ground. I was sceptical, but am now a convert.

I think they are about £550.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    If you want a decent coffee avoid bean to cup. If you want hassle free coffee then get a Nespresso.

This. Have one at work. Gaggia classic at home and separate grinder but wouldn't bother now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We’ve had one of these around 5 years now and it’s been faultless

Melitta F85/0-102 Barista TS Smart Coffee Machine, 1450 W, 1.8 liters, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077ZK2K..._bM5BFbJTX4EZ1

Just under budget and separate beans and recipes can be made to just be a one touch affair which is how we have ours set up. The smart connectivity seems kind of pointless and never used by us but it makes fantastic coffee and is really easy to clean. Overall no complaints at all for our use although if you’re making milk drinks latte etc they need 10 seconds in the microwave afterwards for my taste to make them a touch hotter, not really an issue for me as I drink black Americano or espresso

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Looks a good choice and bang on budget!
    I got an e6 off this very forum few months ago. Excellent machine. Double espresso every morning does the trick

Master
    Good coffee is dependant on how you grind the beans. You burr them and the flavour remains intact.

I use this one and bung the powder in a drip filter and it tastes brilliant.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KC...797bbc441a4b95

Master
    Another just get a nespresso vote from me.
    If you want ‘proper’ coffee do it properly with a decent grinder and espresso machine. Too much faff for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really big fan of Nespresso as my wife and I like different pods so I doubt bean to cup would work for us. I don't like the big capsules and would stick with the smaller pod machines. Our machine has a built in milk frother but we use the Aerochino 4 instead, better results.

+3 on Nespresso - hassle free and since they lost their TM on capsule you can get Starbucks Pods which are awesome.

No longer spending £2-4 a coffee now!

S

Have had our Jura for 15 years would highly recommend it, they are used in commercial establishments

Craftsman
    We’ve had our Nespresso with the milk jug for 3 years now, and wouldn’t want to change. Capsules readily available from Nespresso or the Starbucks capsules from supermarkets.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    +4 Nespresso. Consistent (-ly bad maybe to a connoisseur) for me and super easy to use and clean. Finding good pods more the challenge as we like to try all sorts. I also have an aeropress for those lazy mornings where I've got a bit more time to put more effort into making a brew.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I was thinking about this post, and my reply #5.

I think when people start the coffee machine journey, the idea of ‘settling for’ a Nespresso seems mad, and I think having made such a post, you clearly are going to buy a ‘proper’ coffee machine - but I do wonder if when you do eventually try Nespresso, you’ll be converted.

I do recall people saying the same thing to me a few years ago here (there’s a “what coffee machine” thread about once a month here) and I scoffed at Nespresso before spending £1200 on a fancy machine. I did use the fancy machine this morning, but it was bitter an as I said before, the Nespresso is my go-to machine (in fact I used the Nespresso milk pot to heat the milk this morning as it’s just so much quicker, quieter and more reliable / consistent).

So, get the super duper machine and have fun with it, but if you ever see a Nespresso with milk machine on offer in future, please do add it to your kitchen. Get one with milk pot and often there’s a 100-free-capsules offer too, all for £100-150.

Good luck, and have fun, and show photos of what you eventually buy.

Craftsman
    I went for a mid range delonghi about 3 years ago, simple to operate, excellent integrated milk frother, easy to programme individual preferences and much cheaper to run than Nespresso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk