closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxed Jacket

Master

Waxed Jacket

Hello; I usually wear a good quality walking jacket when out and about, but as its bright orange and Im a man of a certain age, I thought a nice khaki/greeny/grey (short) waxed jacket would be more appropriate for certain scenarios ie afternoon walks at the National Trust Park, not when climbing Ben Nevis.

My last waxed jacket was when I was 13; a gift from mum & dad, but my abiding memory is that the wax constantly melted and my hands were greasy every time I wore it.

Any advice or recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hello; I usually wear a good quality walking jacket when out and about, but as its bright orange and Im a man of a certain age, I thought a nice khaki/greeny/grey (short) waxed jacket would be more appropriate for certain scenarios ie afternoon walks at the National Trust Park, not when climbing Ben Nevis.

My last waxed jacket was when I was 13; a gift from mum & dad, but my abiding memory is that the wax constantly melted and my hands were greasy every time I wore it.

Any advice or recommendations?
    I have 6 Barbour wax jackets and 4 Belstaffs so obviously I like them.
    I've been doing a lot of walking since taking early retirement at xmas and even more since coronavirus started.
    Two of my Barbours, Bedale and Beaufort are best suited for the outdoors but, they're not breathable at all.
    I had a Barbour Duke on yesterday which is my warmest jacket and had the same result after a 7 mile walk, lots of moisture built up.
    I'd buy a decent goretex jacket if you're going to walk over a mile or so and it isn't flat.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Bright Orange is a good colour for a walking jacket. It makes it much easier to find the body.

My Helly Hansen sailing jacket is usually referred to as being in Find-the-Body Yellow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Bright Orange is good. It makes it much easier to find the body.

My Helly Hansen sailing jacket is usually referred to as being in Find-the-Body Yellow.
    Hahaha yeah ideal for mountain rescue to spot you.
    You can spot bright colours from a mile away with the naked eye on a hill or mountain and people aren't that concerned about how bright.

Master
    Yep, per my OP, the orange jacket is for proper hiking; but for around the flat National Trust parks for weekend afternoon strolls, a wax jacket is just the look Im after!

Do even the expensive ones melt wax onto your hands?

- - - Updated - - -

TBH it doesnt even have to be waxed; just that sort of style I think looks great.

Saw someone in one and thought it looked great.

Master
    Yep, per my OP, the orange jacket is for proper hiking; but for around the flat National Trust parks for weekend afternoon strolls, a wax jacket is just the look Im after!

Do even the expensive ones melt wax onto your hands?

- - - Updated - - -

TBH it doesnt even have to be waxed; just that sort of style I think looks great.

Saw someone in one and thought it looked great.
    I've never experienced any melted wax.
    If it's flat a wax jacket will be ideal.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding
    The Duke that I have will keep out any wind and I only ever need a tshirt under it.
    The Border is massive and the pockets just as big.
    I bought an Ashby off another TZUK member that is light and ideal for spring or autumn and looks good enough for the pub

I wonder if you saw someone wearing a Paramo? Check out their range.

A lot of Barbour jackets come with plastic in the in the arms which is a killer for moisutre. You'll be soaking wet. I have the Ashby and when I bought it the shop sent it back to Barbour to have the arms re-lined and it's been ok since (35). No greasy hands, things must have moved in since you were younget. If you have a good budget I believe Belstaff are better and probably last longer as Barbour isn't what it used to be. Having said that it is still ok.

Had a Barbour Beaufort for years - used for dog walking mainly and I don't find it sweaty. Plenty of room for a liner or fleece underneath in the winter. New wax jackets can be a pain but the waxiness wears off after a while. I tend to go longer than I should before rewaxing.

NB: Try before you buy. Barbour sizing is an enigma.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A lot of Barbour jackets come with plastic in the in the arms which is a killer for moisutre. You'll be soaking wet. I have the Ashby and when I bought it the shop sent it back to Barbour to have the arms re-lined and it's been ok since (35). No greasy hands, things must have moved in since you were younget. If you have a good budget I believe Belstaff are better and probably last longer as Barbour isn't what it used to be. Having said that it is still ok.
    My Ashby isn't so bad but a Bedale i have and an International biker style jacket are always wet on the upper arms.
    I've never had any problems with the Belstaff jackets for moisture but I've always thought Barbour better suited for the outdoors??
    The zip broke on one of my Belstaffs so I took it to the Barbour boutique in Manchester and they replaced it no questions asked.....I was impressed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Had a Barbour Beaufort for years - used for dog walking mainly and I don't find it sweaty. Plenty of room for a liner or fleece underneath in the winter. New wax jackets can be a pain but the waxiness wears off after a while. I tend to go longer than I should before rewaxing.

They're all over the place aren't they??
    The 2 British made ones in a Large are huge especially the Border.
    The others all L are ok but I have other Barbour jackets and they're just as inconsistent.
    Belstaff sizing isn't great either

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    My Ashby isn't so bad but a Bedale i have and an International biker style jacket are always wet on the upper arms.
    I've never had any problems with the Belstaff jackets for moisture but I've always thought Barbour better suited for the outdoors??
    The zip broke on one of my Belstaffs so I took it to the Barbour boutique in Manchester and they replaced it no questions asked.....I was impressed.
    I don't have a Belstaff but friends do and swear by them. I've always seen them as a posher Barbour. It could just be nonsense and they're average but the next time I need a winter coat like that I'll also try Belstaff and not default straight to Barbour.

Any Barbour is fine, but as previously mentioned, if the arm linings are nylon, get cotton ones sewn in instead if wearing just a t-shirt underneath.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't have a Belstaff but friends do and swear by them. I've always seen them as a posher Barbour. It could just be nonsense and they're average but the next time I need a winter coat like that I'll also try Belstaff and not default straight to Barbour.
    When I started on motorbikes in 1974 like a lot of kids i had a Belstaff wax jacket and at the time only posh people had Barbour.
    More recently I'd say Barbour are about 2/5ths the price of a Belstaff but some limited edition Barbour are just as expensive.
    Belstaff are definitely better to look at and much more stylish.I recently bought a Kelland and a Dunstall which are like bomber jackets.
    My missus as the Trialmaster and bought in 2014, it still looks brand new.

Adrian, I would highly recommend Belstaff.

Of late, Belstaff have become very much a trendy and fashionable brand, and some have spoken of quality going downhill because of it, so with that in mind, its worth knowing that there are two arms of Belstaff - the fashion brand, and the motorcycle brand.

Personally, the fashion side is still of a high quality and youll still find the classic designs, but the motorcycle side is built to last with highly functional features.

An undisputed classic is the Trailmaster, and the motorcycle equivalent is the Tourist Trophy. Sure, it adds stuff like removable armour and rubber coated lower buttons (so as not to scratch the petrol tank on your bike) but the windproof and waterproof lining along with other functional features along with a free re-waxing service mean its a jacket for life.

There are some great videos on YouTube highlighting the function and sizing.
    If I remember rightly, the fashion side is in Italian sizing, eg if you are a 42, you buy a 52, whereas the motorbike stuff, if you were a 42 (L) you would go for an XL.

I have no doubt that my TT will last a lifetime.

Master
    I have a blouson style wax jacket from Peregine, not in their current range. Quality of the material and lining is good. Made in England if that is important to you.

https://www.peregrineclothing.co.uk/mens/jackets

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Adrian, I would highly recommend Belstaff.

Of late, Belstaff have become very much a trendy and fashionable brand, and some have spoken of quality going downhill because of it, so with that in mind, its worth knowing that there are two arms of Belstaff - the fashion brand, and the motorcycle brand.

Personally, the fashion side is still of a high quality and youll still find the classic designs, but the motorcycle side is built to last with highly functional features.

An undisputed classic is the Trailmaster, and the motorcycle equivalent is the Tourist Trophy. Sure, it adds stuff like removable armour and rubber coated lower buttons (so as not to scratch the petrol tank on your bike) but the windproof and waterproof lining along with other functional features along with a free re-waxing service mean its a jacket for life.

There are some great videos on YouTube highlighting the function and sizing.
    If I remember rightly, the fashion side is in Italian sizing, eg if you are a 42, you buy a 52, whereas the motorbike stuff, if you were a 42 (L) you would go for an XL.

I have no doubt that my TT will last a lifetime.
    I dont know what sort of image modern Barbour jackets have compared to Belstaff but a few years ago told my mate's wife I liked her Barbour which was a Trailmaster 👍and she nearly bit my head off

Owned all the usual brands but now have a Filson tin cloth jacket
    You wont go back...
    Some good deals in their sales or places like sport pursuit occasionally

I dont know what sort of image modern Barbour jackets have compared to Belstaff but a few years ago told my mate's wife I liked her Barbour which was a Trailmaster 👍and she nearly bit my head off
    Probably because she had spent about 500 on it and realised she could have had a Barbour a7 for about 200 .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Probably because she had spent about 500 on it and realised she could have had a Barbour a7 for about 200 .

https://www.countryattire.com/barbou...l?colour=Black

I've got this one and to be honest it's nowhere near as good as the equivalent Belstaff even at 300 less.

Master
    https://www.countryattire.com/barbou...l?colour=Black

I've got this one and to be honest it's nowhere near as good as the equivalent Belstaff even at 300 less.
    Ugh, those yellow logos are *awful* and absolutely NOT the look I want.

Im thinking more unbranded country gent type jacket.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Barbour ,Bellstaff or Filson,Ive had cheap wax jackets in the past and found them to be a waste of money.Just my 2pence worth.

Master
    Ugh, those yellow logos are *awful* and absolutely NOT the look I want.

Im thinking more unbranded country gent type jacket.
    It was only after I got it that I realised the one with yellow on is the slim fit version.
    I agree it definitely isn't the country gent look and that would rule out all the Beltaff range too.
    If you want country gent look, the Bedale is probably your best bet.

Master
    It was only after I got it that I realised the one with yellow on is the slim fit version.
    I agree it definitely isn't the country gent look and that would rule out all the Beltaff range too.
    If you want country gent look, the Bedale is probably your best bet.

Thanks for that. Also sorry for my bluntness, I didnt realise you owned it (even though it says it right there). Apologies!

Master
    Thanks for that. Also sorry for my bluntness, I didnt realise you owned it (even though it says it right there). Apologies!
    Hahaha no problems it made me laugh.
    I hadn't noticed there was a slim fit (loud yellow bits) and regular (without the loud bits) and wouldn't have bought the slim fit if I'd known.
    The Ashby is a sort of lighter version of the Bedale and a good jacket too.

Master
    Why waxed jacket? If your putting on a Barbour Bedale after getting out of your Range Rover with a pair of Purdeys for a shoot maybe but theres far better things just for a walk. Khl do a few casual jackets that will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone the wax their own? I tried with a tin of Barbour wax last year, it went terribly so I ended up sending it off to Barbour who nicely repaired it and the turnaround was within a week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2302 View Post
    Anyone the wax their own? I tried with a tin of Barbour wax last year, it went terribly so I ended up sending it off to Barbour who nicely repaired it and the turnaround was within a week.
    Yeah I've done 2 of mine this week.
    A hair drier comes in handy for speed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Khl do a few casual jackets that will do the job.
    Cheers; off to have a look now

To my mind all Barbour Wax jackets, all Belstaffs and so forth are deeply unsuited to relatively strenuous exercise, because they are very heavily waxed and very unbreathing as a result.
    Waterproof as anything, they are mostly suited to standing about waiting for pheasants or grouse to be driven toward you.
    Otherwise they just accumulate sweat (and cause it for being too heavy to carry uphill)
    Much better to use a lightly waxed, breathing jacket like the ones offered by Fjallraven in their G-1000 fabric. It is much more lightly waxed (Greenland wax) and mush more breathable. I have a couple and they're great, also being lighter than a barbour to wear.
    Or even Ventile (or a modern equivalent like Duuton3), which uses very long fibre cotton extremely tightly woven to make the cotton cloth waterproof with no wax addition whatsoever.
    I bought an Ebbelsen jacket in Duuton3, and it is excellent. An (unrelated to me) Ebay seller is selling their jackets at a very reasonable 250 at present, from the quality shown on the jacket I have, that makes them a bargain. Quiet colours too.
    Dave

Master
    Yeah I've done 2 of mine this week.
    A hair drier comes in handy for speed.

I have also and agree a hair drier is essentials.

After many years of using Barbour a shooting colleague put me on to Le Chameau.
    I honestly cannot fault them ,a little bit expensive but you get what you pay for and the hammer mine gets in the field makes it a good investment .As a coincidence and knowing my liking for the brand my good lady wife came across this earlier in the week ,well worth a look.
    https://www.brandalley.co.uk/men/sal...=EmailCampaign

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Khl do a few casual jackets that will do the job.
    TZ-UK mobile app
    I hadn't heard of Khl. I like the look of some of their jackets.

The secret (if there is one) is to warm/melt the wax, use it sparingly and finish with a hairdryer on medium heat. Not difficult but time-consuming. That's why I always leave it till I absolutely have to do it. Yes, I could send it off but I'm a Yorkshireman...

I handed my Roadmaster in at Belstaff Manchester and they rewaxed it gratis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treat my Gamefair with Renapur.
    The I drive around wearing it so that I don't have to treat the car seat.

Master
    Having owned Barbour and Belstaff I personally think the Belstaff is by far the better jacket the roadmaster, race master and trailmaster are all exceptional jackets and in my opinion are much better than the barbours I owned in the past.

Im fortunate that I go to the Belstaff sales so can get them at a great price so if you are after something specific PM Me and ill see what I can do as Im going there next week so usually pic a few up which always fly out on SC

Blog Entries
    Check out Musto's Outdoor line. The looks of a waxed coat, the technology of Gore-tex. Best of both. Equestrian or hunting stores often have a large stock.

Master
    I have both Barbour and Belstaff waxed jackets and they look good but thats about it, technology wise its like driving round in a model t Ford if its wet wear a gortex and fleece if its cold and dry wear a down jacket

How about Frahm ( field jacket )

https://frahmjacket.com/

Think I own 5 of their jackets..... lovely and beautifully made.

Cheers

matt

40 years ago Barbour waxes jackets were THE jacket to have. I had several but the world
    Has moved on and in my opinion youd be mad to buy one now. Much better options available from Schoffel and Musto etc.
    The only advantage I see from the Old Barbours is their thorn proof claim. If you are doing a lot of beating through brambles and thorns with the odd bit of barbed wire thrown in then there might just still be a place for a waxed jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    How about Frahm ( field jacket )

https://frahmjacket.com/

Think I own 5 of their jackets..... lovely and beautifully made.

Cheers

matt
    These look great. How's the fit?

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    These look great. How's the fit?
    Really good - i take a XXL

they have a pretty good sizing tool - but the measurements are accurate
    so if you know your size it should be fine.

Cheers

matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    They look very good.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I've got a Northumbria from the 90s, a Snugpak Elite & an old windproof smock I kept when I left the army - I alternate between those.
    Barbour owners are warmly commended to Tim who runs Barbouretum, a vintage Barbour resource in wildest Herefordshire. He's on Facebook but no other social media. Very nice guy, got me a liner for my old Northumbria in no time & at a good price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Another vote for these a good friend has one and side by side to my belstaffs Id have bought from claymore if Id known about them.

As a native of South Shields, when it comes to wax jackets it can only ever be Barbour.......

....unless of course you want to actually ride a motorbike with it on, then it should be Merlin

Craftsman
    Something like a Fjallraven Greenland should do the trick. Have always had one in my wardrobe over the years, Ill sell them but then miss them and buy another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    As a native of South Shields, when it comes to wax jackets it can only ever be Barbour.......

....unless of course you want to actually ride a motorbike with it on, then it should be Merlin
    There's a world of temptation on their website!! Thanks for that.......

https://www.merlinbikegear.shop
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.