closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Streaming devices...educate me please?

Streaming devices...educate me please?

I have an account with a media/TV/Film streaming service (New Faith Network) and I think I need a streaming device to watch it on my TV/s rather than just the laptop or iPhone.

I have a smart TV but it's a few years old and doesn't seem to like doing much online and I can't seem to add apps to it.
    The NFN app is not a mainstream/well supported app as it is only for Christians so not listed on most devices as a pre-loaded app.

I used to be able to stream a (now taken down) free film/TV app via AllCast but that (Allcast) doesn't seem to work anymore.

I am considering a Chromecast device , either a v3 or an Ultra.
    Does anyone know if they will work with any streamed content from my phone or laptop or only on either pre-loaded (I don't think the Chromecast has any pre-loaded apps though) or recognised/supported apps on the Google list, so to speak?

Before I buy, am I missing a trick with an app that will allow me to cast from my iPhone to the TV without buying any hardware? Like Allcast but that works?

Are Chromecast able to stream from any app, even one not on Googles app list or do I need to combine the Chromecast device with another app to do that?

This is not my area of expertise TBH so any advise is appreciated?

Thanks.

Get a roku stick , I have one in the garden room and it’s great you can add any channel you like
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 25th September 2020 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Get a roku stick , I have one in the garden room and it’s great you can add any channel you like
    Thanks, I have seen these online.
    So can I add apps that are not already on there?
    Are they ok for IOS (iPhone) casting?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Thanks, I have seen these online.
    So can I add apps that are not already on there?
    Yes add apps not on it, some nice movie apps and the kobo channel is good also no monthly fees but monthly fee apps can be added when attaching credit card

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Yes add apps not on it, some nice movie apps and the kobo channel is good also no monthly fees but monthly fee apps can be added when attaching credit card
    Doesn’t it have to be in the Roku Channel Store? Looked on mine and can’t see one OP wants.

This is not my area of expertise TBH so any advise is appreciated?

Thanks.
    Based on your requirements you might be better off with an android TV device - This is an android TV device AND chromecast.

As it's an android TV device, the New Faith Network is a native app on it (downloadable from the google play store).

Master
    I have a mag box for streaming the 3pm Premier League games that Sky don’t have. Works well, and you can load anything onto it I believe (not tried it myself)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I have a mag box for streaming the 3pm Premier League games that Sky don’t have. Works well, and you can load anything onto it I believe (not tried it myself)
    They are IPTV boxes and for what OP wants to do a android TV or Chromecast would be less faff.

Yes you can cast on the roku , app called r-cast works with android or iso

Thanks guys, it can be a mine field as not all devices are comparable with all apps.

The Roku has a remote whereas the Chromecast doesn't but I'm wondering which is the easiest and most intuitive to set up and use and also works well.

Id like something that can be moved from one TV to another quickly and easily rather than having to have one for very TV.

There’s a native New Faith Network app for Apple TV, get one of those, no need to muck about with “casting”.

Thanks guys, it can be a mine field as not all devices are comparable with all apps.

The Roku has a remote whereas the Chromecast doesn't but I'm wondering which is the easiest and most intuitive to set up and use and also works well.

Id like something that can be moved from one TV to another quickly and easily rather than having to have one for very TV.
    Honestly can’t be easier with the roku , the remote is nice and small and also syncs the tv

If I were you I'd be buying a new gen Firestick when it comes out next week. A Lite version will do you, £29.99.

Bit of a learning curve to add apps, but it's by far the best value and has the most flexibility.

Buy the 4K Apple TV for £100 from cash converters online

It’s a great bit of kit

Chrome cast is due to be replaced

Fire stick lite and new fire stick out soon at £30 ish would do the job for you

Just use Apple TV though - that’s what I have

Or..... great excite to buy a new tv lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Im not looking at spending a lot to be honest, a Roku or Chromecast is the most likely outcome, unless there's an app to download instead of buying hardware to do it.
    Im not interested in any other 'services' or subscriptions and simply want to cast the NFN app to my TV's easily and reliably without faffing about or needing to be a tech genius to do it.
    That is my only reason for wanting to cast.

I've read the instructions for adding apps to a Roku and it looks a bit faffy and is not filling me with confidence about loading an app (NFN) that isn't already on the Roku store/list (which NFN isn't).

Forget Roku. They're okay at what they do but you're limited to what they decide you can have.

Is NFN capable of being cast to a Chromecast? If it is, given that you don't want to put any effort in, you should buy one.
    Last edited by Tony; 27th September 2020 at 17:37.